Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2013, 01:24 PM   #1676 (permalink)
Member
 
PitViper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 306
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd316 View Post
*braces for the memes*
LOL

PitViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 01:52 PM   #1677 (permalink)
Member
 
MarsAttacks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 198
Default

MarsAttacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 02:02 PM   #1678 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 489
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarsAttacks View Post
That's the one!
alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 05:23 PM   #1679 (permalink)
Member
 
Spider-Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,128
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvin View Post
...it's certainly not a twice-a-year brand.
I don't think many things are, but that doesn't seem to stop anybody from putting these products out 2+ times a year.
__________________
My B/S/T thread: http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/non-sports-singles-buy-sell-trade/564803-spider-fans-fs-ft-thread-5finity-marvel-sketch-cards-inserts-sets-pscs.html
Spider-Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 05:24 PM   #1680 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: South Florida
Posts: 1,142
Default

Any timeline on when we get the Comp Box Alvin?
justice41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 05:34 PM   #1681 (permalink)
Member
 
Spider-Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,128
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadams View Post
I sure hope that's what Topps paid for the original art from Norem, and they are just trying to break even.
haha... I'm they are are making a profit on the original artwork. The fact that Topps owns it and is selling it kinda makes a couple of the 'limiting factors' and 'cost implications' stated earlier seem a bit misleading.
__________________
My B/S/T thread: http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/non-sports-singles-buy-sell-trade/564803-spider-fans-fs-ft-thread-5finity-marvel-sketch-cards-inserts-sets-pscs.html
Spider-Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 05:53 PM   #1682 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: South Florida
Posts: 1,142
Default

cumulatively, I bet it cost quite a bit to get the original artwork done. Just because they sell for that number doesn't mean they paid more or less for the artist to do the work. Comicbook artists get a specific amount for their pages and some will sell originals for piddly and some will sell for a lot. Look at Jim Lee, Not sure what his page rate is but I know it aint what he sells his pages for.
justice41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 06:13 PM   #1683 (permalink)
Member
 
MarsAttacks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 198
Default

I don't have a problem with the price Topps is asking. They do have a make offer option and could possibly have some wiggle room. Ebay is a wide enough market, so it will be determined sometime soon if the price is reasonable.
MarsAttacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 06:37 PM   #1684 (permalink)
Member
 
Spider-Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,128
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by justice41 View Post
cumulatively, I bet it cost quite a bit to get the original artwork done. Just because they sell for that number doesn't mean they paid more or less for the artist to do the work. Comicbook artists get a specific amount for their pages and some will sell originals for piddly and some will sell for a lot. Look at Jim Lee, Not sure what his page rate is but I know it aint what he sells his pages for.
This isn't the artist selling the originals, its the commissioner selling the originals. I don't have a problem with Topps selling the originals or the price they are asking. I just don't want to hear "commissioning the card art is very expensive" as an excuse for cutting costs elsewhere, if they are going to going to recoup all or most of what they paid for the artwork by selling it.

Honestly, I had assumed most or all of the originals were in the possession of the artists, as part of the price negotiations. Clearly, that was an incorrect assumption.
__________________
My B/S/T thread: http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/non-sports-singles-buy-sell-trade/564803-spider-fans-fs-ft-thread-5finity-marvel-sketch-cards-inserts-sets-pscs.html
Spider-Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:19 PM   #1685 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 489
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by justice41 View Post
Any timeline on when we get the Comp Box Alvin?
I've packed up about half, but we're waiting to receive the shipping boxes is the problem.
alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:25 PM   #1686 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 489
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
I just don't want to hear "commissioning the card art is very expensive" as an excuse for cutting costs elsewhere, if they are going to going to recoup all or most of what they paid for the artwork by selling it.
You won't. Publishing paid Earl for the work, Topps Commerce paid him separately for the original physical painting. The two units operate entirely separate from one another. Commerce was simply taking advantage of the situation: while the other artists want to make as much as they can, Earl is at a stage in life where he wants what's easiest, and unloading all of them for a tidy sum was very appealing to him. No fuss, no muss.

We even talked about becoming his official consignment agent at one point, but I think he has someone doing that for his older work.
alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:48 PM   #1687 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: South Florida
Posts: 1,142
Default

I figured as much with Earl. Plenty of his paintings on Heritage Auctions and they sold kinda low for published work. And Folks none of anyones bidnezz what Topps paid or made. Too much inside baseball info Alvin, Less is best.
justice41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:43 PM   #1688 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 489
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by justice41 View Post
I figured as much with Earl. Plenty of his paintings on Heritage Auctions and they sold kinda low for published work. And Folks none of anyones bidnezz what Topps paid or made. Too much inside baseball info Alvin, Less is best.
I agree. I normally wouldn't say anything, but I wanted to nip in the bud the notion that we held any artists paintings and/or were selling them to cover costs.
alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 10:18 PM   #1689 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: South Florida
Posts: 1,142
Default

meh, let em talk.
justice41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 10:21 PM   #1690 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 765
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvin View Post
I agree. I normally wouldn't say anything, but I wanted to nip in the bud the notion that we held any artists paintings and/or were selling them to cover costs.
Don't take my initial post wrong, it was more of a comment hoping the original artist made out well for his incredible work. What the commissioner does after that is up to them.

Nothing more. Nothing less.
__________________
www.orange-thirteen.com
https://www.etsy.com/shop/OrangeThirteen
http://orangethirteen.tumblr.com/
jadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 10:05 AM   #1691 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 5
Default Artists cards

Sorry to get a little off track here. I know we were told that a couple of artists were called in at the last minute who didn't make the published list. They seem to be Jamie Snell and Jeremy Scott. I have not seen a Rev David Johnson sketch yet, (I know he made 10 or so but so did Katie Cook and we've seen a few of those),or Scott Rorie. Scott Rorie did a hundred according to the list? Can anyone say they've seen either of these artist's cards? I will echo for a call to get a comprehensive list of cards for this set. As a collector I'd really appreciate one. Also I agree, I think the Norem painting of the Martians attacking the Russian sailors embodies the Mars Attacks iconography. That's why I bought it.
catj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 10:14 AM   #1692 (permalink)
Member
 
monkeymcgee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: VA
Posts: 7,185
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by catj View Post
Sorry to get a little off track here. I know we were told that a couple of artists were called in at the last minute who didn't make the published list. They seem to be Jamie Snell and Jeremy Scott. I have not seen a Rev David Johnson sketch yet, (I know he made 10 or so but so did Katie Cook and we've seen a few of those),or Scott Rorie. Scott Rorie did a hundred according to the list? Can anyone say they've seen either of these artist's cards? I will echo for a call to get a comprehensive list of cards for this set. As a collector I'd really appreciate one. Also I agree, I think the Norem painting of the Martians attacking the Russian sailors embodies the Mars Attacks iconography. That's why I bought it.
This is the only Rev David Johnson I've seen:

Mars Attacks RARE 1 1 Rev Dave Johnson Sketch Card WOW Only One on eBay | eBay
__________________
Collecting: money in the bank
monkeymcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 04:08 PM   #1693 (permalink)
Member
 
rmaheras's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 99
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvin View Post
I've packed up about half, but we're waiting to receive the shipping boxes is the problem.
Woo-hoo! I can't wait!
rmaheras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 04:21 PM   #1694 (permalink)
Member
 
dd316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 4,894
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmaheras View Post
Woo-hoo! I can't wait!
I hear that... been chomping at the bit over here!!! :turkey:
__________________
MY ARTWORK - tdastick.deviantart.com
dd316 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 05:25 PM   #1695 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: South Florida
Posts: 1,142
Default

Packed up means packed up, when they ship is the real info I'm seeking.
justice41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 10:34 AM   #1696 (permalink)
Member
 
monkeymcgee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: VA
Posts: 7,185
Default

If you or someone you know is trying to put together the patch and/or medallion set, shoot me a PM. At this point MM-9 and MP-15 are wasted on me since I likely will not do those sets. Thought I'd give people who follow this thread a head's up before I post them for sale (I have a hobby expense buffer now, so I can do a couple of sales).

Open to trades for sketches as well
__________________
Collecting: money in the bank

Last edited by monkeymcgee; 11-16-2013 at 10:37 AM.
monkeymcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 11:05 AM   #1697 (permalink)
Member
 
JRCrosby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 342
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymcgee View Post
If you or someone you know is trying to put together the patch and/or medallion set, shoot me a PM. At this point MM-9 and MP-15 are wasted on me since I likely will not do those sets. Thought I'd give people who follow this thread a head's up before I post them for sale (I have a hobby expense buffer now, so I can do a couple of sales).

Open to trades for sketches as well
Same here. Let me know if anyone needs patch #13. I'll trade for a sketch card of any kind.
__________________
www.jasoncrosbyillustration.com

Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/JasonCrosbyIllustration
JRCrosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 11:28 AM   #1698 (permalink)
Member
 
ChrisM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 316
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRCrosby View Post
Same here. Let me know if anyone needs patch #13. I'll trade for a sketch card of any kind.
I think I have an extra Crosby sketch or two.
ChrisM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 11:39 AM   #1699 (permalink)
Member
 
JRCrosby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 342
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisM View Post
I think I have an extra Crosby sketch or two.
That Crosby guy sucks. I have to have something better. NO TRADE!
__________________
www.jasoncrosbyillustration.com

Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/JasonCrosbyIllustration
JRCrosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 12:17 PM   #1700 (permalink)
Member
 
Pepeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: menzoberranzan, aka NJ
Posts: 4
Default

Mars attacks Crosby cards are the best!
Pepeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
Copyright 2013, Blowout Cards Inc.