Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2013, 10:45 PM   #151 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvin View Post
The reality here is there is no way to enforce that. What happens when sketches comes in and they just forgot? We don't have time to send it back or do it ourselves, and we can't not put them in for such a small offense-- especially if they're good!

I understand your frustration, but its just one of the things that has to be dealt with at times. Try thinking of it as a treasure hunt
Sorry to be blunt but if an artist spent minutes or hours on the front, they can spend a couple seconds on the back. Collectors don't like "unknown" art. And our time is wasted on the "treasure hunt".

I also do not believe that it would it would take as much time as you claim for someone in your staff to write the names on the back for the handful of artists that don't comply.

Last edited by MarsAttacks; 07-26-2013 at 11:46 PM.
MarsAttacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:57 PM   #152 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarsAttacks View Post
Lame excuse if you ask me. Sorry to be blunt but if an artist spent minutes or hours on the front, they can spend a couple seconds on the back. Collectors don't like "unknown" art. And our time is wasted on the "treasure hunt".

I also do not believe that it would it would take as much time as you claim for someone in your staff to write the names on the back for the handful of artists that don't comply.
No need to be sorry-- but lame excuse or not, it's the truth. I agree that the artists could spend the time writing their name, but as I said, it'd be difficult to enforce it.

If you'd like to spend the hours and days it would take to sort thousands of sketch cards, check the backs, double check against the name on the package, write down their name if it's missing and then re-file them, by all means! We have the rest of the set to work on, after all (and typically it's one editor on each set). Editors also work on multiple sets at a time.

I'm not trying to be difficult here, just trying to make everyone see the reality of the long, hard work that goes into each card set and all the little things that have to be done on top of the big ones like production and design. Often there are things that fans just think are "quick and simple" additions, but are truthfully anything but.

Back to the names, I myself signed illegibly on many of my own sketches for Heritage because early on I wanted to remain anonymous. As an artist I was not concerned with whether the collector could identify me. As a Topps manager I can understand and am happy to request legibility, but I don't think it's reasonable to REQUIRE it or enforce it, nor is it fair to the artists. It's the sketch that's most important, and we're not going to turn away artists from working on a set if they tell us they don't want to either take the time to print their name or simply like to remain anonymous as I did.

All that said, i'm not criticizing your point of view and I understand your frustration as a fan (I am one too, which is why I began signing more legibly after thinking about it from the other side).
alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 12:04 AM   #153 (permalink)

Please! Send all the sketches to my house, I'd love to do it! But seriously, I see your points and know there is a ton of coordination behind your products. So I get that totally. I think a verbal or written reminder/request to artists when they get the blanks sounds reasonable though. I think there are enough fans out there that really want to know who the artist is and would appreciate it.
Old 07-27-2013, 02:12 PM   #154 (permalink)

Old 07-27-2013, 06:33 PM   #155 (permalink)

Here's a look at the chase set "Anatomy of a Martian."

It's 6 clear acetate cards (veins and bones are actually two separate images) that layer to form a complete martian.

Old 07-30-2013, 03:19 PM   #156 (permalink)

Looks like blanks are being mailed out to artists. I see Chris's 100 was revised up or down. I am willing to guess that the standard request for sketches is 100 of each like with Heritage. Then it will be revised up or down accordingly with some perhaps as high as 300 with the last set. I personally hope not that high for artists though as I bet that is part of the reason for so many Sugar Fueled pencil circles etc.

Collectors Universe Forums - What packs/sets usually have the Mars Attacks artist sketch cards?

Last edited by MarsAttacks; 07-30-2013 at 03:22 PM.
Old 07-30-2013, 03:54 PM   #157 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarsAttacks View Post
Looks like blanks are being mailed out to artists. I see Chris's 100 was revised up or down. I am willing to guess that the standard request for sketches is 100 of each like with Heritage. Then it will be revised up or down accordingly with some perhaps as high as 300 with the last set. I personally hope not that high for artists though as I bet that is part of the reason for so many Sugar Fueled pencil circles etc.

Collectors Universe Forums - What packs/sets usually have the Mars Attacks artist sketch cards?
We are not allowing any more than 200 this time, and most folks are doing (at most) 100.

I can confirm that Katie Cooke is doing a limited number.

EDIT: The "cross" through the #100 simply means the packer crossed off the amount to confirm the box included 100 blanks.

Last edited by alvin; 07-30-2013 at 03:57 PM.
Old 07-30-2013, 04:13 PM   #158 (permalink)
Tim

Quote:
We are not allowing any more than 200 this time, and most folks are doing (at most) 100.

EDIT: The "cross" through the #100 simply means the packer crossed off the amount to confirm the box included 100 blanks.
Good deal on Cook!

Disappointed to hear Kezele won't be on it.

I think the quantity down to 200 helps but the QC still needs to be improved. I know that we are far removed (thank goodness) from the W/W monkey sketches from Indy Jones but we have a ways to go still too (sugarfueled pencils, shum mail-in's, etc.)

Thanks for listening to us and doing what you can to improve your products. I am encouraged.

I do think, though, that your QC and CS is incredibly sub-par. the QC was so much better around 2008-2009 and then the wheels came off, but i digress.
Tim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 04:15 PM   #159 (permalink)

Quote:

Did you receive my pm?
Old 07-30-2013, 04:22 PM   #160 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
Good deal on Cook!

Disappointed to hear Kezele won't be on it.

I think the quantity down to 200 helps but the QC still needs to be improved. I know that we are far removed (thank goodness) from the W/W monkey sketches from Indy Jones but we have a ways to go still too (sugarfueled pencils, shum mail-in's, etc.)

Thanks for listening to us and doing what you can to improve your products. I am encouraged.

I do think, though, that your QC and CS is incredibly sub-par. the QC was so much better around 2008-2009 and then the wheels came off, but i digress.
Thanks, Tim. Quality control is never going to be perfect, and alas CS is completely separate. The reality is that when sub-par sketches come through we can't afford to cut them all because we have numbers to meet and schedules to keep. Plus there have been plenty of more casual fans who loved sketches that many collectors didn't care for (to put it politely)-- proving that it really is in the eye of the beholder.

Look no further than some feedback we have received on our Facebook page where many quick B&W doodles were valued and prized by casual fans who pulled them from packs.

So while we know a lot of sketches would not pass muster with the collector's on these forums, there are fans out there that would appreciate and even value them in their personal collection.

Our hope is by keeping each artist's amount lower we can get a higher quality of sketches this time around. Plus with more companies doing sketch cards now (ahem, Viceroy), it's becoming harder to book the best artists, so it's imperative that we find some new talent, and we've been aggressively scouting and recruiting a fresh crop of sketch artists.

As for Kezele, there are many who were not able to make it-- at San Diego Comic Con the word around was that there are several big sketch programs going right now all with the same deadline, so a lot of artists had to be picky. Some went with us, some didn't.
Old 07-30-2013, 04:22 PM   #161 (permalink)

This is gonna be a pretty cool set I think.

Last edited by jadams; 07-30-2013 at 04:27 PM.
jadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 04:42 PM   #162 (permalink)

Kezele is under contract through 2013. So starting in 2014, he's free to draw again for other sets/card companies.
THE_BEAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 04:57 PM   #163 (permalink)

Quote:
Plus with more companies doing sketch cards now (ahem, Viceroy), it's becoming harder to book the best artists, so it's imperative that we find some new talent, and we've been aggressively scouting and recruiting a fresh crop of sketch artists.
More lead time would really help with this, allowing artists to plan further out could better help to secure them on projects. I don't know how production goes on sets of this scale, but I have to imagine you were commissioning base artwork for this set back in January. What stops companies from getting sketch card artists on board and blanks sent out that early in the game?
Old 07-30-2013, 05:00 PM   #164 (permalink)

Okay--you have sold me on this one alvin. If I have the money, I'll be in for a case.

Will you guys be selling binders for this?
Old 07-30-2013, 05:01 PM   #165 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd316 View Post
More lead time would really help with this, allowing artists to plan further out could better help to secure them on projects. I don't know how production goes on sets of this scale, but I have to imagine you were commissioning base artwork for this set back in January. What stops companies from getting sketch card artists on board and blanks sent out that early in the game?
Print schedules. Keep in mind Mars Attacks is not the only set being printed; at any given moment we are printing a dozen card sets between Baseball, Football, UFC, GPK, Wacky, Star Wars, etc etc. That doesn't even take into account problems: a printer mis-cutting a run or cards printing incorrectly.

This is one of the drawbacks to being a bigger company.

And no, we were not commissioning base art in January. We didn't really get started until April.
Old 07-30-2013, 05:07 PM   #166 (permalink)

Quote:
And no, we were not commissioning base art in January. We didn't really get started until April.
Good to know we're not the only ones under the (ray) gun.
Old 07-30-2013, 05:08 PM   #167 (permalink)

Quote:

Thanks for the info
Old 07-30-2013, 05:18 PM   #168 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymcgee View Post
Okay--you have sold me on this one alvin. If I have the money, I'll be in for a case.

Will you guys be selling binders for this?
Most likely a binder via Topps.com. It's going to be a good one, too. The box art is PERFECT for a two-sided image formatted like a book. Most of the action is on the right side, it's just too perfect!
Old 08-02-2013, 12:48 AM   #169 (permalink)

THIS JUST IN:

We're adding MOVIE ACTOR AUTOGRAPHS to the hit list. Stay tuned for a list of names... we're still working on confirming people.
Old 08-02-2013, 01:00 AM   #170 (permalink)

Quote:
THIS JUST IN:

We're adding MOVIE ACTOR AUTOGRAPHS to the hit list. Stay tuned for a list of names... we're still working on confirming people.
??????????
Old 08-02-2013, 01:01 AM   #171 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE_BEAST View Post
??????????
Actors from the 1996 film, Mars Attacks!
Old 08-02-2013, 01:05 AM   #172 (permalink)

Quote:
Now that sounds awesome
Old 08-02-2013, 11:51 AM   #173 (permalink)

Quote:
Wow. I might have to get two cases instead of one.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:01 PM   #174 (permalink)
Tim

that is some cast to choose from.

natalie portman?
Tim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:20 PM   #175 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
that is some cast to choose from.

natalie portman?
I don't want to lie and get people's hopes up and send you running to order many many cases hoping for a Jack Nicholson or something...

because it's not likely we'll be able to nab Jack Nicholson or Danny DeVito or Glenn Close. But there are so many to choose from, even the lowest level actors include some popular names.

And did I only just now realize that Burton cast BOTH the Joker AND the Penguin in that?? Why did it take me so long to notice that?