Blowout Cards Forums
Labor Day

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2013, 08:28 AM   #1776 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvin View Post
For those interested, Comikaze has permitted us to sell a small quantity of the Stan Strikes signed prints via our ebay store.

We've just posted the version signed by Stan Lee and will likely make the other unsigned edition available shortly.

These will only be available for a limited time, whether they've sold or not.
Cool! I hope they sell well, it's a great print.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:28 AM   #1777 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymcgee View Post
Well, what do you do with your excess stock after a product has shipped and the replacement period has expired?

I'm not a fan of seeing these destroyed, but given the value is in the scarcity and these were advertised as convention exclusives, I'd be a little annoyed if I went to the con to get one of these only to find Topps selling them online.

I know, we're bitchy collectors...
It's not the criticism I take issue with, it's the snide remark. I'd like to think I have made myself far more available for discussion than most, and am very open to a back-and-forth on the good AND the bad (because I truly believe that fans who spend their money on our stuff deserve more than to be brushed off). Constructive criticism I have no issue with.

Anyway, the issue here is two fold: our location at Comikaze was shall we say... less than ideal. We sold a good amount, made back our money plus a bit, and all told the venture was a success.

But we still left with a lot of extras, and 8 of the 25 signed by Lee. As you say, we didn't want to trash this stuff, and considering how rare they are, wanted to make a limited quantity available to those unable to attend.. but only for a limited time and for a bit more than original price out of deference for those who got it at the show.

We have 8 left of the Lee signed prints and will probably make available 50 of the unsigned editions, but only through the holidays.

This is not like others though, who simply put their entire stock online indefinitely, even marking it down to clear them out. We're not doing that.

Last edited by alvin; 11-27-2013 at 08:30 AM.
alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 10:14 AM   #1778 (permalink)

Quote:
I usually don't like responding to snide remarks, but if you'd rather us throw the rest away, let me know and you can shred them yourself.

and you wonder why most folks from card companies don't casually post here...
First of all, I don't wonder. I'm the first to tell people that company reps are walking into the lion's den by posting on a site like this, and collector/dealer expectations that company reps should post here and respond to criticisms is ridiculous.

In the United States, corporations are held to a higher standard than individuals. These were advertised as exclusives being sold by Topps at Comikaze. I'm sure several people purchased them, thinking they could resell them for a profit because of their exclusivity.

What Topps does with them is their prerogative, but I think making them available for sale to the general public online is tantamount to false advertising. Topps can do what they like. People can perceive Topps' actions however they see fit.
Old 11-27-2013, 10:17 AM   #1779 (permalink)

this isnt the scoundrel site is it?

had to check :turkey:

and
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsterwaxguy View Post
Not to "invade" the Invasion thread, but I wanted to thank the Mars Attacks folks for hooking Monsterwax up with Mark Finneral. (They both emailed and phoned to urge getting him before we released the series.) Yes, Finneral's art IS kick ass, and he WOULD be a perfect addition for anything Lovecraftian. So I'm delighted to say we just signed him on to the Legendary Lovecraft series (due out for Christmas).

I can't wait to see his contributions, 'coz based on his Mars Attacks sketches, they are really going to be something. Our other sketch artists are terrific too, so this is going to be an especially exciting series.
nice addition

Last edited by ricksam; 11-27-2013 at 10:20 AM.
ricksam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 10:22 AM   #1780 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
In the United States, corporations are held to a higher standard than individuals.
Are you kidding yourself? Corporate malfeasance goes unpunished much more often then individual crime. The most recent Supreme Court decision on political speech essentially equated corporations with people - there is no "higher standard" that corporate America hews to.

Dial back the rhetoric SF.

Alvin, ignore these chipmunks. Nobody bought a ticket to a convention to ONLY get an exclusive print signed by Stan Lee.

For the rest of you, be happy you have a chance to buy one now if you want it. Stan won't be signing very many more things, and his signature regularly pumps the price on Marvel products.

'Nuff said.

p.s. I do appreciate your efforts Alvin so thank you.
sketchopolix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 11:24 AM   #1781 (permalink)

I'm completely appreciative for you making these available. I will be waiting for the unsigned, so please post here when they get listed.

As to con exclusives, as action figures/statues is my primary collectible, selling leftover exclusives afterwards is nothing new... happens all the time.

Unrelated - Happy Thanksgiving all!

Quote:
For those interested, Comikaze has permitted us to sell a small quantity of the Stan Strikes signed prints via our ebay store.

We've just posted the version signed by Stan Lee and will likely make the other unsigned edition available shortly.

These will only be available for a limited time, whether they've sold or not.
Old 11-27-2013, 11:30 AM   #1782 (permalink)

The Stan Strikes prints WERE exclusives, when the con went on. It was the only place to get it. How is that so hard to understand? Now, since some people got copies, I'm sure they will be made available through other means, whether Topps does it or not...(though, God forbid you post one that you got at the convention for auction here, right Spider Fan? ) They're still going to be in limited quantities...it's not like they printed a million of them.

Jesus, I seriously hope I didn't whine this much, when I collected comic cards. lol

Alvin - you guys should never be nice and offer a second chance to own a kick-ass limited print, EVER again.

Burn'em. Wouldn't want to trick Mr Went-To-The-Con-Just-For-The-Stan-Print-So-I-Could-Sell-It guy out of his hard-earned collectible.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING back at ya', Chris!!!!
vandavisart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 11:36 AM   #1783 (permalink)

Edit: Apparently I misunderstand how this term is used, so I stand corrected. As an aside, I might suggested "initial sale exclusive to Blah Blah Con," but that's probably unnecessary if everyone else already understands what it means.

Happy Thanksgiving

Last edited by monkeymcgee; 11-27-2013 at 12:31 PM.
monkeymcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 11:39 AM   #1784 (permalink)

Chalk me up for being in favor of Topps releasing these direct! There’s only a handful – it’s not like they printed an entire new run.
PitViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 11:47 AM   #1785 (permalink)

Wow, this is one of the sillier complaints I've seen on BO. People bought those prints at Comikaze because they were an exclusive limited to only 25 signed copies. That hasn't changed, there are still only 25 of them. I doubt anyone who bought one at Comikaze expected Topps to destroy any that they didn't sell, I'm pretty sure they expected that all 25 would be out there in the world. And I personally appreciate having a chance to buy one since I wasn't able to go to Comikaze.
aggie4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 11:56 AM   #1786 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie4ever View Post
Wow, this is one of the sillier complaints I've seen on BO. People bought those prints at Comikaze because they were an exclusive limited to only 25 signed copies. That hasn't changed, there are still only 25 of them. I doubt anyone who bought one at Comikaze expected Topps to destroy any that they didn't sell, I'm pretty sure they expected that all 25 would be out there in the world. And I personally appreciate having a chance to buy one since I wasn't able to go to Comikaze.

^^^^ THIS ^^^^
vandavisart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 12:56 PM   #1787 (permalink)

I'm glad I could bring everybody together during the holiday season. Its like Band Aid all over again. Like I said,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
Topps can do what they like. People can perceive Topps' actions however they see fit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sketchopolix View Post
Are you kidding yourself? Corporate malfeasance goes unpunished much more often then individual crime. The most recent Supreme Court decision on political speech essentially equated corporations with people - there is no "higher standard" that corporate America hews to.
So much I'd like to respond to, but since you immediately resorted to immature name calling... I'm just going to pass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandavisart View Post
The Stan Strikes prints WERE exclusives, when the con went on. It was the only place to get it. How is that so hard to understand?
My bad. I both missed the asterisk after 'exclusive' in the original ad and failed to read the fine print. I suppose it read something like:

*Exclusivity expires November 3, 2013 at 6:00 pm PST. Remaining inventory will become available online for the holiday season, but will no longer be considered exclusive. There will be no discernible differences between the Comikaze exclusive print and the publicly available print.

Thank you for the clarification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie4ever View Post
Wow, this is one of the sillier complaints I've seen on BO.
No worries Aggie. This wasn't actually a complaint, just a 'snide' comment that you "gotta love exclusives" but other people wanted to harp on it because, I guess, they can't stand my personal disapproval? Seems silly to me too! Who cares about a stupid comment *I* make on a message board, which was a general comment applicable to many so called 'exclusive' items that become publicly availabe when they don't sell out as expected.
Old 11-27-2013, 01:36 PM   #1788 (permalink)

Old 11-27-2013, 02:06 PM   #1789 (permalink)

Hi,

I am new here and I don't mean to change the subject, but...

Anyway, I really appreciate all the information that has been shared about this set in this thread, I really like it. I do have a question...

Does anyone know how to tell apart the Artist Returned sketches from the pack-pulled sketches for Mars Attacks Invasion?

I am just wondering if there is a visible way...

Thanks!
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 02:10 PM   #1790 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin View Post
Hi,

I am new here and I don't mean to change the subject, but...

Anyway, I really appreciate all the information that has been shared about this set in this thread, I really like it. I do have a question...

Does anyone know how to tell apart the Artist Returned sketches from the pack-pulled sketches for Mars Attacks Invasion?

I am just wondering if there is a visible way...

Thanks!
Nope, no distinguishing characteristic unless the artist writes so on them (which some do)

And welcome
Old 11-27-2013, 02:27 PM   #1791 (permalink)

Hey Martin, Nope, the only way initially is the artist will sell them on feebay or wherever and declare them AR's After that anyone can claim any card is an AR. Topps should mark the Returns. Cryptozoic adds a little sticker, 5Finity has a AE or AR stamped on the returns by the printer. Most companies add the AP right on the front or back of the card. Rittenhouse sends us cards with our names taped on the back. I made a stamp of my sig and will be using that on my AR's and AP's from now on.
justice41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 02:50 PM   #1792 (permalink)

Thank you both for the information. This helps a lot!
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 03:45 PM   #1793 (permalink)

Default Scott Rorie Sketch cards

Just got an email from Scott Rorie. While he is listed in the "official" sketch artists list, he said he didn't receive the cards in time and so he does not have any in the packs. I hope this info helps other collectors.
catj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 12:02 PM   #1794 (permalink)

A nice 4 piece Darrin Pepe puzzle was recently listed on eBay ($399 w/a BIN of $525). Back story - the seller initially had all four pieces listed individually, each piece for ~$50 w/a ~$75 BIN. I messaged him telling him that they were part of a puzzle (at the time I thought it was part of a 6 piecer). I was expecting that he'd list it for less that $200 w/a $300 BIN... silly me.
Old 11-29-2013, 01:07 PM   #1795 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisM View Post
A nice 4 piece Darrin Pepe puzzle was recently listed on eBay ($399 w/a BIN of $525). Back story - the seller initially had all four pieces listed individually, each piece for ~$50 w/a ~$75 BIN. I messaged him telling him that they were part of a puzzle (at the time I thought it was part of a 6 piecer). I was expecting that he'd list it for less that $200 w/a $300 BIN... silly me.
Yeah, I was scratching my head on that one too - no clue how he didn't notice that it was a puzzle to begin with. Most of his prices are out of whack...

I picked up this one from the same seller - curios to see who the artist is. I really don't get why people who post "unknown artist" auctions don't at the very least provide a scan of the sig!

Last edited by PitViper; 11-29-2013 at 01:13 PM.
Old 11-29-2013, 02:25 PM   #1796 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitViper View Post
Yeah, I was scratching my head on that one too - no clue how he didn't notice that it was a puzzle to begin with. Most of his prices are out of whack...

I picked up this one from the same seller - curios to see who the artist is. I really don't get why people who post "unknown artist" auctions don't at the very least provide a scan of the sig!

That one was nice... Maybe Giles? I'm trying to be much more selective... Yet still buying a lot
Old 11-29-2013, 03:12 PM   #1797 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisM View Post
That one was nice... Maybe Giles? I'm trying to be much more selective... Yet still buying a lot
He first posted just the one card (lower left card) at the puzzle price $399.00... and his description stated it just for that one card?? I sent a message to asking him is that correct. Shortly after it was changed. That fist piece has to be a Giles if not I'll give you a "Sawyer" card
Arch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 04:28 PM   #1798 (permalink)

Yeah, I think you guys are correct - the brain style/color matches the few Giles sketches that are up on eBay. Thanks!
Old 11-30-2013, 12:01 AM   #1799 (permalink)

Here is an AR 5card panorama that I am considering posting up for sale soon...
...I wanted to give the Mars Attacks fans/collectors on this BlowOut thread a first preview/grab at it, prior to doing so...
...If any here are interested in it, please PM me via the forum...
MMF

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 12:06 AM   #1800 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
Here is an AR 5card panorama that I am considering posting up for sale soon...
...I wanted to give the Mars Attacks fans/collectors on this BlowOut thread a first preview/grab at it, prior to doing so...
...If any here are interested in it, please PM me via the forum...
MMF

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
That is OUTSTANDING!

I am a network admin. If you see me laughing, pray you have a recent backup.
Deathgate is offline   Reply With Quote