Blowout Cards Forums
2014 holiday shipping promo

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2014, 12:32 AM   #1901 (permalink)

I spoke to Alex's agent. She said one of her sales was pack-pulled because she sold it on behalf of someone who pulled it from a pack. The others were returns but she did not label them as such because she didn't realize that fans held any distinction between the two types.

I'm still impressed at how much you guys scrutinize online listings (rightfully so of course, when spending so much money)-- but wanted to step in before folks started calling shenanigans

Last edited by alvin; 01-18-2014 at 01:53 AM.
alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 12:39 AM   #1902 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvin View Post
I spoke to Alex's agent. She said one of her sales was pack-pulled because she sold it on behalf of someone who pulled it from a pack. The others were returns but she did not label them as such because she didn't realize that fans held any distinction between the two types (she even asked "what is a return?")

I'm still impressed at how much you guys scrutinize online listings (rightfully so of course, when spending so much money)-- but wanted to step in before folks started calling shenanigans
So to be clear, someone who knows Alex Horley's agent happened to pull one of Alex Horley's cards and had the agent sell it on their behalf and then Topps gave them 2 more blanks to sell because his cards are so popular and were selling so well on eBay?
buckycap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 12:50 AM   #1903 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckycap View Post
So to be clear, someone who knows Alex Horley's agent happened to pull one of Alex Horley's cards and had the agent sell it on their behalf and then Topps gave them 2 more blanks to sell because his cards are so popular and were selling so well on eBay?
No. If you're accusing me or his agent of lying i find that in very poor taste.
Old 01-18-2014, 01:01 AM   #1904 (permalink)

Quote:
No. If you're accusing me or his agent of lying i find that in very poor taste.
I'm not accusing anyone of lying I just think there is something fishy going on. What are the odds that someone that knows Alex Horley's agent happens to pull one of his cards and it is a card that wasn't shown in previews or posted anywhere in anyone's pulls that I ever saw. And I have never heard of a company giving extra blanks to an artist months after a release because his cards are so popular and selling so well. How far is that to other artists? You worked on this set, wouldn't you want some extra blanks to sell?
Old 01-18-2014, 01:05 AM   #1905 (permalink)

Well, at least we confirmed that they are APs. Beautiful ones at that!!

Is it common practice to give out extra blanks after the fact? I got the same response - that they were given extra blanks because the fans were asking for more cards.
PitViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 01:09 AM   #1906 (permalink)

Quote:
He's only ever done sketch cards once (for "Crimson") and this is what he did:

Actually Horley has done sketch cards for sets other than Crismson -- Witchblade comes to mind immediately, and there may be one or two other sets as well.
Old 01-18-2014, 01:09 AM   #1907 (permalink)

Quote:
I'm not accusing anyone of lying I just think there is something fishy going on. What are the odds that someone that knows Alex Horley's agent happens to pull one of his cards and it is a card that wasn't shown in previews or posted anywhere in anyone's pulls that I ever saw. And I have never heard of a company giving extra blanks to an artist months after a release because his cards are so popular and selling so well. How far is that to other artists? You worked on this set, wouldn't you want some extra blanks to sell?
Alex got his "return" blanks a little late because I gave him his regular blanks in person at SDCC before we had determined how many AP's the creator's would receive (and because I only had a handful with me to give to multiple creators-- having had to have a limited amount mailed overnight from NY to my hotel in San Diego). I can't believe I have to explain this...

Even still, Alex received his blanks some time ago. He is simply selling them now. Why did he wait? Not sure. Perhaps he was just busy.

I have no idea about the "pack pulled" person but it's possible it was just someone who pulled it and talked to Alex or his agent at a show or contacted him through his website or even through the auction site. His agent is also an art seller by profession.

I swear you guys see conspiracy everywhere.

Last edited by alvin; 01-18-2014 at 01:55 AM.
Old 01-18-2014, 01:13 AM   #1908 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitViper View Post
Well, at least we confirmed that they are APs. Beautiful ones at that!!

Is it common practice to give out extra blanks after the fact? I got the same response - that they were given extra blanks because the fans were asking for more cards.
I have no idea, this is the only set i've ever worked on. See my response re: Alex above.
Old 01-18-2014, 01:13 AM   #1909 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by webjon View Post
Actually Horley has done sketch cards for sets other than Crismson -- Witchblade comes to mind immediately, and there may be one or two other sets as well.
Thanks. Crimson was the only one I found during a search.
Old 01-18-2014, 01:15 AM   #1910 (permalink)

Quote:
... And I have never heard of a company giving extra blanks to an artist months after a release because his cards are so popular and selling so well...

where are the scoundrel board posters who know all about this

marvel masterpieces 1,2,3 from ... upper deck .. years later lol
never knew what a master set of sketch card artists looks like - cuz a "new" artist pops up like every few months .. the debate ensues about rosters/ erasers/ and lucky breakers pulling an artist who did 1 sketch

i think topps was doing the opposite - not giving a few artists their deserved APs/ARs
Old 01-18-2014, 01:17 AM   #1911 (permalink)

Instead of constantly being so defensive - put yourself in our shoes. Part of the price justification is the simple fact that the cards are indeed scarce.

Last edited by PitViper; 01-18-2014 at 01:46 AM.
Old 01-18-2014, 01:20 AM   #1912 (permalink)

Quote:
I swear you guys see conspiracy everywhere.
area 51? .. mars attacks? .. sorta fits

Old 01-18-2014, 01:20 AM   #1913 (permalink)

Quote:
Here's a clip from the reply - you be the judge.

Instead of constantly being so defensive - put yourself in our shoes. Part of the price justification is the simple fact that the cards are indeed scarce.
Instead of accusing me of being defensive, put yourself in my shoes: i'm accused of lying, of malpractice, and I was not aware of any correspondence. I can't explain an equation without all the variables.

It is possible she asked us after seeing the prices, but even if that's true, I was not aware of it. The fact is we owed him more returns.

Last edited by alvin; 01-18-2014 at 01:56 AM.
Old 01-18-2014, 01:22 AM   #1914 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricksam View Post
where are the scoundrel board posters who know all about this

marvel masterpieces 1,2,3 from ... upper deck .. years later lol
never knew what a master set of sketch card artists looks like - cuz a "new" artist pops up like every few months .. the debate ensues about rosters/ erasers/ and lucky breakers pulling an artist who did 1 sketch

i think topps was doing the opposite - not giving a few artists their deserved APs/ARs
I know all about the Marvel Masterpieces blanks that showed up years later but most if not all of those were done by artists not on the set like the Rob Liefeld Marvel Masterpieces sketch cards. But I don't recall artist that worked on the sets selling extra returns.
Old 01-18-2014, 01:38 AM   #1915 (permalink)

Quote:
I know all about the Marvel Masterpieces blanks that showed up years later but most if not all of those were done by artists not on the set like the Rob Liefeld Marvel Masterpieces sketch cards. But I don't recall artist that worked on the sets selling extra returns.
haha -- that's the old debate .. i think it ended w 'we will never know'

u missed the 3 artists selling APs for sets they did NOT work on .. the mm2/3 and then the rittenhouse women of marvel set 1

how many APs does an artist get? .. it varies
when does an artist get their APs? .. again, no set rule
Old 01-18-2014, 01:43 AM   #1916 (permalink)

On a separate note, it's nice to see continued discussion on the set...
Old 01-18-2014, 01:48 AM   #1917 (permalink)

I'm going to start a new thread on sketch covers
Old 01-18-2014, 01:50 AM   #1918 (permalink)

Quote:
I'm going to start a new thread on sketch covers
You wiseguy...
Old 01-18-2014, 01:50 AM   #1919 (permalink)

It is what it is - I'm glad that in the end, the cards are indeed APs, and that Alex gets rewarded handsomely for his beautiful work!
Old 01-18-2014, 01:57 AM   #1920 (permalink)

The one thing this thread has done, if nothing else-- is keep me up way past my bedtime.
Old 01-18-2014, 02:03 AM   #1921 (permalink)

where are my Comp boxes!!!!!????? It's been months. On a side I still Have one or two Blank AP's.... Maybe I'll copy alex Horleys cards....
justice41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 02:06 AM   #1922 (permalink)

You guys at Topps are nuts. Ya'll spend way too much mullah sending out Fedex boxes when you could just bundle all things owed into one box. I got my Star Wars cards the other day and no Comp Box from Star Wars illustrated or Mars attacks included, now you'll have to spend money shipping the Comp boxes , Crazy I tell ya.
Old 01-18-2014, 02:08 AM   #1923 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by justice41 View Post
You guys at Topps are nuts. Ya'll spend way too much mullah sending out Fedex boxes when you could just bundle all things owed into one box. I got my Star Wars cards the other day and no Comp Box from Star Wars illustrated or Mars attacks included, now you'll have to spend money shipping the Comp boxes , Crazy I tell ya.
Email me your address and i'll send you a box of MA. It is nuts, but when you're dealing with three different editors and 6 different card sets and 100 different artists (plus dozens of base set contributors-- well, let's just say it's complicated!
Old 01-18-2014, 02:16 AM   #1924 (permalink)

email, naw here it is.
A R Cover
317 county rd. 56
Midland city, AL
Old 01-18-2014, 02:17 AM   #1925 (permalink)

Just make sure they don't send me two boxes by mistake, I only want what i was told i'd get. Ya'll should maybe stop giving comp boxes and just up the pay 50 cents.lol