Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2014, 06:06 PM   #1951 (permalink)

Always fun to see what other collectors are adding, even if that seems to be slowing down a bit. And the Space Adventure Action Doll is a hoot, but they better get a clearer dome figured out for sure.

In that spirit of sharing, here's a little project I was working on. A card from MAH and a similar card from MAI. I pulled the Hodges from MAH, the rest were ebay or private pickups. I got into MAH way too late or I'd have picked up more of Treece's scenes like that one.

And here's a little gem I was very pleased to add to my collection - one of Bisley's five cards. I couldn't believe it when I saw it pop up for the BIN it was listed at - could not hit that button and pay fast enough! Then I couldn't believe it when it came shipped in a plain #10 envelope taped to a piece of printer paper... top loader not taped shut, card sticking out 1/4" and you could tell the envelope had been folded over multiple times. But it wasn't damaged so that all worked out. I'm sure this will be my best February pickup, and while the rarity and artist are cool, I actually like the art and would've bought it for that alone.
Devlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 07:32 PM   #1952 (permalink)

I imagine that, like me, the seller had no idea who Bisley was when he pulled the card and didn't consider spending 5 minutes to do a little research. You win. Congrats.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:57 PM   #1953 (permalink)

I saw that one. It was still "listed" but when I clicked on the link it was already sold
Old 02-25-2014, 08:03 PM   #1954 (permalink)

One never knows how some sellers determine their pricing, but I do think I came out ahead on this for sure. I just happened to check listings, saw that and clicked it. It said it had been viewed by seven people in the last hour so I didn't think I'd have a chance but got lucky. From the auction the seller knows it is rare - full name signed on back, (although he misspelled his last name in the auction) perhaps from the once published checklist that showed Simon having done fewer than 25 cards, but probably just left it at that and perhaps priced in line with Sawyers. I think this thread is the only place actual numbers are listed for the rarest of artists; I know I wouldn't know Bisley only did five cards if I hadn't read it here.

Mars Attacks Invasion Artist Sketch 1 1 RARE Simon Bagley | eBay
Devlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:27 PM   #1955 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devlyn View Post
One never knows how some sellers determine their pricing, but I do think I came out ahead on this for sure. I just happened to check listings, saw that and clicked it. It said it had been viewed by seven people in the last hour so I didn't think I'd have a chance but got lucky. From the auction the seller knows it is rare - full name signed on back, (although he misspelled his last name in the auction) perhaps from the once published checklist that showed Simon having done fewer than 25 cards, but probably just left it at that and perhaps priced in line with Sawyers. I think this thread is the only place actual numbers are listed for the rarest of artists; I know I wouldn't know Bisley only did five cards if I hadn't read it here.

Mars Attacks Invasion Artist Sketch 1 1 RARE Simon Bagley | eBay
That's insane. I'm calling the police.

It's only February, but this already has my vote for buy of the year.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:33 PM   #1956 (permalink)

I really hope you keep that, Devlyn, but wouldn't blame you one bit if you didn't. WOW.

And yes, the Mego doll's dome is a prototype, not sure why everyone is confused about that...
alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 12:11 AM   #1957 (permalink)

You have to scratch your head sometimes when you see BINs that low. A seller should just list auction price before listing a sketch with a $9.99 BIN. After a week, the person that would have hit the BIN still would buy it, and you have the potential upside of multiple bidders driving up a card. I can see using $9.99 BIN for a card that has been sitting, but don't start a card with a BIN that low.
finfangfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 12:48 AM   #1958 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvin View Post
And yes, the Mego doll's dome is a prototype, not sure why everyone is confused about that...
No confusion, just everything else looks complete and then there's this inflated condom next to the figures...
Old 02-26-2014, 02:46 AM   #1959 (permalink)

So how much should this Bisley have gone for? Ballpark price..?
daviswr7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 07:33 AM   #1960 (permalink)

Probably about $100... Possibly more due to it's rarity.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:42 AM   #1961 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by finfangfan View Post
Probably about $100... Possibly more due to it's rarity.
Probably quite a few times that.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:57 AM   #1962 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd316 View Post
Probably quite a few times that.
I doubt it. The one that was listed with his name web the set first came out didnt go for $300... Did it? Anyone have a confirmation on price?

His sig cards go for like $30, and the days of collectors paying big bucks for "rare" artists solely due to rarity (and not quality of the sketch) pretty much died around 2009. Also, Mars Attacks doesn't have the collectors base that SW and Marvel have.

So for a quick Mars Attacks sketch of 5 by a popular 90's Artist, I think $100 is a good ballpark figure based on the current market. And $100 aint too shabby in today's market... A ton of sketch card artists are sitting on blanks that they can't move for half that. The market is flooded right now.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:13 PM   #1963 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by finfangfan View Post
I doubt it. The one that was listed with his name web the set first came out didnt go for $300... Did it? Anyone have a confirmation on price?

His sig cards go for like $30, and the days of collectors paying big bucks for "rare" artists solely due to rarity (and not quality of the sketch) pretty much died around 2009. Also, Mars Attacks doesn't have the collectors base that SW and Marvel have.

So for a quick Mars Attacks sketch of 5 by a popular 90's Artist, I think $100 is a good ballpark figure based on the current market. And $100 aint too shabby in today's market... A ton of sketch card artists are sitting on blanks that they can't move for half that. The market is flooded right now.
What about this one? http://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-Topps-M...p2047675.l2557
Old 02-26-2014, 02:51 PM   #1964 (permalink)

Having not seen the listing, so completely speculating, rare in the auction title for a sketch card is about as common as 1/1 and most of the time has nothing to do with the number of cards the artist did. I'm sticking to seller didn't know the guys resume and priced it in line with similar quick sketches. Wouldn't be the first time, won't be the last. That is a result of selling things you aren't knowledgeable about.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:38 PM   #1965 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd316 View Post
No confusion, just everything else looks complete and then there's this inflated condom next to the figures...
How does everything else look complete? The air tubes are made of a shopping bag's rope handle!
Old 02-26-2014, 11:15 PM   #1966 (permalink)

Quote:
How does everything else look complete? The air tubes are made of a shopping bag's rope handle!
Haha! I hadn't noticed that.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:24 AM   #1967 (permalink)

Really not digging those figures. I wish that Hot Toys put out more stuff

PitViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 12:36 PM   #1968 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitViper View Post
Really not digging those figures. I wish that Hot Toys put out more stuff
The intent behind the HiA toys is to capture the look and feel of old MEGO style toys-- which were the predominant style of action figure back when Mars Attacks was first created. The idea is that these are toys you might have collected back in the 60s when MA first came out if they had existed.

Just so you know, we've approached Hot Toys before, unfortunately they felt that having already done the movie toys there was no reason to revisit Mars Attacks.

There are some new toy projects for Mars Attacks in the works beyond the ones you saw on the previous page, though.
Old 02-27-2014, 04:22 PM   #1969 (permalink)

Did you guys try McFarlane toys?
justice41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 06:45 PM   #1970 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by justice41 View Post
Did you guys try McFarlane toys?
Yes, but we went with Mezco for the action figures, and i was quite happy with how that figure turned out.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:28 PM   #1971 (permalink)

Quote:
Yes, but we went with Mezco for the action figures, and i was quite happy with how that figure turned out.
I really hope they can get the 4" MA figures out.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:21 PM   #1972 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisM View Post
I really hope they can get the 4" MA figures out.
I had a meeting with them at Toy Fair. we're talking about it. Hopefully we'll have something to share soon.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:33 PM   #1973 (permalink)

Quote:
I had a meeting with them at Toy Fair. we're talking about it. Hopefully we'll have something to share soon.
Excellent.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:26 PM   #1974 (permalink)

...cool Biz sketch Devlyn!...nice grab!
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 11:31 PM   #1975 (permalink)

[QUOTE=PitViper;6780673]Really not digging those figures. I wish that Hot Toys put out more stuff

Those Hot Toys ones ARE sweet!...(although, I don't mind the retro look of the new one.)
monster is offline   Reply With Quote