Blowout Cards Forums
Blaster Master

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2014, 06:27 PM   #2026 (permalink)

Its not a conspiracy guys. Lots of really high end sketches never make it to the internet. Big box breakers have regulars that pay top $$ for those, and they go right into their collections to never be seen again (until their estate is auctioned). Its pretty common for other licenses (Star Wars, Marvel, Walking Dead, etc...).
Old 07-16-2014, 10:18 PM   #2027 (permalink)

Very few Kidd's made it into the set because many we could not insert, due to using copyrighted characters (Kermit, Bender, etc.).

Nelson did not do nearly as many as Repka, who did 50 or more, I believe. Can't recall now, it's been a while, but I know Ed did a lot more than any of the other "creators." -- like twice as many. I posted scans of Nelson's on our Facebook page somewhere.

Such as this one:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater
alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 12:05 PM   #2028 (permalink)

@Spider-Fan: Many thanks for this explanation which makes a lot of sense. I'm still puzzled that you can see 4 out of 5 Bisleys or half of the Horleys on ebay but not one Palumbo, Nelson or Peterson. Maybe they are still out there in boxes waiting to be found? A plot by alvin to launch a second buying wave on the remaining product to validate the next series?

@alvin: Many thanks for the link to the Nelson cards. They do look very good. There is also a scan of 8 Palumbo sketches which seem to be all he made.

Last edited by SFM 313; 07-17-2014 at 12:20 PM.
SFM 313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 12:56 PM   #2029 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFM 313 View Post
@Spider-Fan: Many thanks for this explanation which makes a lot of sense. I'm still puzzled that you can see 4 out of 5 Bisleys or half of the Horleys on ebay but not one Palumbo, Nelson or Peterson. Maybe they are still out there in boxes waiting to be found? A plot by alvin to launch a second buying wave on the remaining product to validate the next series?

@alvin: Many thanks for the link to the Nelson cards. They do look very good. There is also a scan of 8 Palumbo sketches which seem to be all he made.
It is odd not to see any from the artists you mentioned. Power buyers exist, but they don't have direct lines to every box breaker. This set was cracked by a broad range of people. You'd think some cards from those artists would have surfaced (maybe they have, I wasnt tracking).
finfangfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 11:04 PM   #2030 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by finfangfan View Post
It is odd not to see any from the artists you mentioned. Power buyers exist, but they don't have direct lines to every box breaker. This set was cracked by a broad range of people. You'd think some cards from those artists would have surfaced (maybe they have, I wasnt tracking).
Perhaps one reason why the Bisley's surfaced is that they were low quality and at least three were unidentified or misidentified, so the buyers didn't know what they had, and put them up for sale.

As for Horley's, he did 15 pieces, but he is also the only creator i've seen sell his returns-- and we gave the creators quite a few returns-- more than we typically give. Considering the stature of those artists, we felt it was necessary to secure them. It wouldn't have made sense to even do "Creator Sketch Cards" if we couldn't convince at least 5 or 6 of them to participate.
alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 10:39 PM   #2031 (permalink)

I haven't tried to sell even one of my returns from the two Mars Attacks and two Star Wars series I worked on. After giving about a third of them to family members, I'm having a real hard time pulling the trigger on selling any of the rest. After all, I'm a collector myself -- I bought the original Mars Attacks cards during their short-lived release back in 1962 (I'm pretty sure my set disappeared during a move a year later), and have been a comics/card collector since 1967. And frankly, it's taken some real willpower on my part not to try and buy back a few of my favorite cards that have popped up on eBay -- cards that I really had fun drawing that I had to part with.
rmaheras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 10:58 PM   #2032 (permalink)

It doesn't sound like you try to immediately turn your blanks into $$$ so just finish them to your liking and add them to your collection! I did that to 3 of my Mars Attacks blanks.
Old 07-30-2014, 12:44 AM   #2033 (permalink)

Actually, I drew all 106 of my cards first for each series, sent them all in to Topps as instructed, and Topps later returned the allotted number of cards I was owed per the contract (my choice).

And actually, I'm glad it was done that way. Once I got started on a series, I quickly got in a free-flowing, creative groove. If I had received a bunch of blanks weeks or months after a run was completed, in my case, I doubt they would have been as good.
rmaheras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 10:34 AM   #2034 (permalink)
Tim

does anyone have concept cards 17, 21 or 30 to sell or trade? PM me if so. thx.
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote