Blowout Cards Forums
eBay Front Page (card ed)

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2013, 07:54 PM   #201 (permalink)

With all due respect, the actor autos that have been announced so far (Pam Grier, O-Lan Jones, Brian Haley, Willie Garson and Frank Welker) really don't blow up my skirt. Hell Pam Grier who is the best of the group IMO would rank about 14th or 15th in that incredible cast...not including Elfman or Burton. I sure hope you folks are working on some real names.
Igman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:55 PM   #202 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igman7 View Post
With all due respect, the actor autos that have been announced so far (Pam Grier, O-Lan Jones, Brian Haley, Willie Garson and Frank Welker) really don't blow up my skirt. Hell Pam Grier who is the best of the group IMO would rank about 14th or 15th in that incredible cast...not including Elfman or Burton. I sure hope you folks are working on some real names.
I Second That
hamoody22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:00 AM   #203 (permalink)
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igman7 View Post
exactly why i was saying if it counts as a second hit, then this product just got weakened and would have been better without any movie autos added, sigh.
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:53 AM   #204 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
exactly why i was saying if it counts as a second hit, then this product just got weakened and would have been better without any movie autos added, sigh.
I agree with this as well. The movie was, at best loosely based on the original card set and combining the two just doesn't make sense to me in the first place. This "addition" didn't add anything to the product it took away the chance at a patch, medallion or artist auto that is actually related to the product. I just hope the movie autos hold some kind of value so I can trade or sell them off in order to get what I really want. Or what I thought I would be getting when I initially ordered...
cjktoybay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 11:03 AM   #205 (permalink)

I personally would rather hit a celeb auto than an artist auto, so in that regard I think it's a good move. . .
webjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 11:04 AM   #206 (permalink)

Personally, I'd rather have the movie autos than manufactured relics, but I realize I have a different perspective than those of you who are looking to sell.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:06 AM   #207 (permalink)
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by webjon View Post
I personally would rather hit a celeb auto than an artist auto, so in that regard I think it's a good move. . .
you call most of those additions "celebs?"
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:01 PM   #208 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
you call most of those additions "celebs?"
Yeah, when I heard celeb autos from the movie, I thought they would be of the actors I have heard of lol. I hope the better names are added, otherwise it feels premature to have released the info to the public.
MarsAttacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:24 PM   #209 (permalink)

Hey All! I was googling around looking for inspiration for the sketch cards I'm working on and found this forum. I was thrilled to ask to be a sketch artist and am really excited about some of the art that has been shown for the set.

Don't mean to derail the autograph conversation . Just wanted to say hi and show one of my favorites so far.

Robert
www.facebook.com/TikiTower
Zerostreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:34 PM   #210 (permalink)

^ I'd be more than happy to own that! Great job.
ChrisM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:59 PM   #211 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisM View Post
^ I'd be more than happy to own that! Great job.
Thanks! I'm trying my best to paint as many as I can. Acrylic, btw.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:00 PM   #212 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerostreet View Post
Good stuff--I also like that avatar Is that your work? If so, is it available?
Old 08-08-2013, 07:02 PM   #213 (permalink)

I've been waiting for this day--Zerostreet is like the painter of monkeys. Nice sites
Old 08-08-2013, 07:05 PM   #214 (permalink)

That card is pretty sweet. I think if the other box hit is an actor auto people won't be to disappointed with their break...

I was thinking people jumped the gun getting excited after reading alvin's initial actor auto announcement. If Topps can get Ford to sign for every SW and IJ set, they should be able to add at least one notable actor to chase after.
Spider-Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:18 PM   #215 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymcgee View Post
I've been waiting for this day--Zerostreet is like the painter of monkeys. Nice sites
Ha! Thanks MonkeyMcGee! I have a things for chimps...painting them anyway.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:35 PM   #216 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
That card is pretty sweet. I think if the other box hit is an actor auto people won't be to disappointed with their break...

I was thinking people jumped the gun getting excited after reading alvin's initial actor auto announcement. If Topps can get Ford to sign for every SW and IJ set, they should be able to add at least one notable actor to chase after.

I won't get too into the auto issue (but believe me we wished we could get everyone-- we asked Burton for sketches, too).

Regarding the sketch, I hope fans notice a considerable uptick in quality. We've secured some really high quality names and were able to trim the fat at the same time.

Quantities are a little lower per artist and I think the print run is going to be a bit smaller than Heritage.

Some of the more desirable sketch artists we snagged include Katie Cook and Dave Johnson (comics cover artist). We're trying real hard to add a couple of really premiere names from outside the sketch artist community, too.

Creators Ed Repka, Dave Palumbo, Alex Horley and a few others are doing a limited number of "creator sketch cards" on special stock, also.
alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:57 PM   #217 (permalink)

Quote:
Don't mean to derail the autograph conversation.
Please do!
Old 08-08-2013, 09:06 PM   #218 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvin View Post
Some of the more desirable sketch artists we snagged include Katie Cook and Dave Johnson (comics cover artist). We're trying real hard to add a couple of really premiere names from outside the sketch artist community, too.
You better hurry and edit that post to include a few highly desirable sketch artist board members I mean... I'm assuming you were able to maintain hits like Ted and Gary that participated on the last set. Plus, do I remember correctly that EVERYBODY that did card artwork also submitted a few sketch cards (i.e., Jusko and NAR!)? If you are gonna play up the sketch cards, you might as well do it right!

Quote:
Creators Ed Repka, Dave Palumbo, Alex Horley and a few others are doing a limited number of "creator sketch cards" on special stock, also.
Those will be prized by fans... even if the sketches are terrible!
Spider-Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:30 PM   #219 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
You better hurry and edit that post to include a few highly desirable sketch artist board members I mean... I'm assuming you were able to maintain hits like Ted and Gary that participated on the last set. Plus, do I remember correctly that EVERYBODY that did card artwork also submitted a few sketch cards (i.e., Jusko and NAR!)? If you are gonna play up the sketch cards, you might as well do it right!

Those will be prized by fans... even if the sketches are terrible!
There are many desirable names of course, what I meant (and I guess wasn't conveyed) were folks who did not take part in Heritage.

I am not overseeing the sketch program, but am helping find a greater crop of artists. I'm not sure about Ted and Gary (I think someone said Gary is exclusive elsewhere, but i'd be surprised if Ted turned us down).

Of course we asked all the best people-- from big names to little as long as long as they could produce good work. Whether they had time in their schedule is another matter. Personally, I've found that summer is a tough time to commission sketches due in no small part to the busy conventions season. Add in summer vacations and you get a lot of people traveling with less time to focus on sketch jobs.

EDIT: none of this is to say we couldn't get a good group of artists, because we did!
Old 08-08-2013, 09:58 PM   #220 (permalink)

Quote:
That is a great sketch! Keep up the great detailed acrylic work. We need more artist doing acrylic in my opinion. I love the look over pen.
MarsAttacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:01 AM   #221 (permalink)

Quote:
Ha! Thanks MonkeyMcGee! I have a things for chimps...painting them anyway.
Then I expect to see a sketch card with chimps - either when martians attack a zoo or in a jungle where the chimps are throwing bananas at the martians
ChrisM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:36 AM   #222 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisM View Post
Then I expect to see a sketch card with chimps - either when martians attack a zoo or in a jungle where the chimps are throwing bananas at the martians
I'm putting a bounty on that card now
Old 08-09-2013, 01:15 PM   #223 (permalink)

I just saw the list of sketch artists (which i'll post when it's finalized). Only 2 artists so far have committed to more than 100. That alone should help keep the quality high.

Mark Pingitore, btw, says he's drawing Alien Ian/Outerspace Chase! I hope I can get one of those. That was always my favorite GPK as a kid.
Old 08-09-2013, 01:37 PM   #224 (permalink)

Quote:
Mark Pingitore, btw, says he's drawing Alien Ian/Outerspace Chase! I hope I can get one of those. That was always my favorite GPK as a kid.
I was always partial to Dead Ted.

And I will be working on this set. Just waiting for one crucial part of the puzzle to arrive before I can get cracking....
Old 08-09-2013, 02:23 PM   #225 (permalink)

I spent an hour or so Googling the "Mars Attacks Heritage" artists list last year, and I'm pretty sure I'm the only artist of the bunch who bought the original 1962 cards when they were first released.

You can read the whole story by clicking here.

The two artists my age or older who did sketch art for "Heritage" were Don Perlin and George Freeman.

Perlin was 33 when the 1962 series was released, so he most likely wasn't attuned to the trading card scene like I was (I also bought cards from Topps' 1962 "Civil War News" trading cards, but never completed the entire set).

Freeman was born in 1951, but he's Canadian, so with the limited distribution the set had, it's not too likely he saw it in 1962.

I'll be curious to see if any of the artists this time around are part of the 1962 "legacy club."

I'm really having a blast drawing cards for this set!!!

Last edited by rmaheras; 08-09-2013 at 04:28 PM.
rmaheras is offline   Reply With Quote