Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2013, 07:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Distribution changes

Good? Bad?

From NSU

Cryptozoic Announces Restructuring of its Entertainment Trading Card Distribution Non-Sport & Entertainment Trading Card News from Non-Sport Update
jadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:20 PM   #2 (permalink)

I say bad only because I don't see blowout on the list or 2 other huge distributors which I use.
Frankp2311 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:54 PM   #3 (permalink)

Well, this will be good from the standpoint that these few outlets will have a ton of product ordered. The bad side, collusion. They'll jack up the pricing on anticipated hot products and set a pricing floor well above the box and case cost direct. Right now, not a fan of this. Will have to see how this plays out, though...
Old 06-07-2013, 08:05 PM   #4 (permalink)

BAD!!! I must say it is a tad disappointing that "Hill’s Wholesale" is one of the distributors. Good luck EVER getting a timely response from these folks. I will be contacting CZE on this. I have been a past buyer from Hill’s Wholesale, and their contact time if you are even lucky enough to get a response is despicable.

Last edited by yorkbag; 06-07-2013 at 08:39 PM.
yorkbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabzy28 View Post
The bad side, collusion. They'll jack up the pricing on anticipated hot products and set a pricing floor well above the box and case cost direct.
You're probably right. This move is good for Crypto, probably bad for collectors.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:35 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to gst177

I think its complete BS. Have not been this worked up in a while. I thought Scott despised Upper Deck but now he is following Upper Deck's model.

My dealer and I have been loyal buyers since their first nonsport release. No matter what product, hot or cold, I purchased 4 cases. Not really sure how many total cases my dealer buys per release.

Now I feel like we are being kicked to the curb. I agree with the above post about price manipulation by the 4 distributors. Hot products now are probably going to their heavy buyers.

I dont see why my dealer will have to reestablish himself with GTS or Diamond. If his order amount direct with Cryptozoic is not grandfathered to GTS, that is not right. Spoke to a couple of direct buyers and each stated that no one contacted them about this change. they found out the same time we did.

Maybe this did come at a good time, I can take the money that I was going to waste on Cryptozoic's next few products and relocate it to purchasing more Parks and Recreation.
gst177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:43 PM   #7 (permalink)

I contacted my favorite distributor that I am VERY loyal to and they said the following, "We will have to change our distributors, but we will still carry all of their products just as we have done before."
Old 06-07-2013, 09:52 PM   #8 (permalink)

'Authorized Online Dealers' sounds bad. . . but who knows what it means. . .
Old 06-07-2013, 09:58 PM   #9 (permalink)

Hey, Jon. Trying to read your latest blog on Garner and cannot find it on your homepage....

Quote:
Originally Posted by webjon View Post
'Authorized Online Dealers' sounds bad. . . but who knows what it means. . .
Old 06-07-2013, 09:59 PM   #10 (permalink)

I think the opposite of collusion is what's going on here. They have probably watched how some places (Blowout included) jacked up prices of certain releases, or never allowed pre-orders of others until the prices were high enough. It was frustrating waiting on Blowout to post a pre-order for Walking Dead Series 2, only for them to put it up when boxes were already around $150. Their customers were never given a chance to get it at, or around, MSRP. Many other places though did allow it, so being loyal to Blowout, cost me getting a case for myself at a reasonable price. Now that Cryptozoic has fewer distributors and authorized online retailers, they can hopefully curb this practice and have a better handle on how their products are priced in the secondary market. I think, in the end, this is good for customers if they are doing it for this reason.

On the other hand, if they are doing this so that they can raise prices and charge more for their product, then obviously, this is very bad for customers. I think we will all have to wait and see how this plays out. Personally, I have faith that they are doing this to help control some of the crazy prices their products have seen. They have a lot of hot products coming out soon outside of The Walking Dead properties, so we are going to find out how this will affect new products like Pacific Rim, The Hobbit, Sons of Anarchy, and Breaking Bad.
Brobocop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:04 PM   #11 (permalink)

Good point! Very good point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brobocop View Post
I think the opposite of collusion is what's going on here. They have probably watched how some places (Blowout included) jacked up prices of certain releases, or never allowed pre-orders of others until the prices were high enough. It was frustrating waiting on Blowout to post a pre-order for Walking Dead Series 2, only for them to put it up when boxes were already around $150. Their customers were never given a chance to get it at, or around, MSRP. Many other places though did allow it, so being loyal to Blowout, cost me getting a case for myself at a reasonable price. Now that Cryptozoic has fewer distributors and authorized online retailers, they can hopefully curb this practice and have a better handle on how their products are priced in the secondary market. I think, in the end, this is good for customers if they are doing it for this reason.

On the other hand, if they are doing this so that they can raise prices and charge more for their product, then obviously, this is very bad for customers. I think we will all have to wait and see how this plays out. Personally, I have faith that they are doing this to help control some of the crazy prices their products have seen. They have a lot of hot products coming out soon outside of The Walking Dead properties, so we are going to find out how this will affect new products like Pacific Rim, The Hobbit, Sons of Anarchy, and Breaking Bad.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:06 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkbag View Post
Hey, Jon. Trying to read your latest blog on Garner and cannot find it on your homepage....
Sorry, I'm kinda lazy about updating my signature, so it rolled off the front page. . . here is a link: Obviously Questionable Garner Auto is Obvious. Webjon.com — Now with more blog!
Old 06-07-2013, 10:40 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gst177 View Post
I think its complete BS. Have not been this worked up in a while. I thought Scott despised Upper Deck but now he is following Upper Deck's model.

My dealer and I have been loyal buyers since their first nonsport release. No matter what product, hot or cold, I purchased 4 cases. Not really sure how many total cases my dealer buys per release.

Now I feel like we are being kicked to the curb. I agree with the above post about price manipulation by the 4 distributors. Hot products now are probably going to their heavy buyers.

I dont see why my dealer will have to reestablish himself with GTS or Diamond. If his order amount direct with Cryptozoic is not grandfathered to GTS, that is not right. Spoke to a couple of direct buyers and each stated that no one contacted them about this change. they found out the same time we did.

Maybe this did come at a good time, I can take the money that I was going to waste on Cryptozoic's next few products and relocate it to purchasing more Parks and Recreation.
QFT. I was gonna say it but decided against it until I see this all go down.
Old 06-08-2013, 01:10 AM   #14 (permalink)

It very well may mark the end of my CZ purchasing as the distributor (not dealer as some folks seem to confuse) that I work with will not be getting product. As a dealer who breaks cases to service customers, I can not afford to pay an extra markup or two. I guess I will have to find something else to spend my money on with the multiple cases of Once Upon a Time and Downton Abbey that I would have bought.
Igman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 03:15 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gst177 View Post
I don't have an opinion either way, but doesn't this part of the news release mean they are trying to safeguard against that happening?

"We will be working very closely with each of these partners and have full transparency to make sure product is going to the accounts that have supported us from the beginning and that continue to support the entire Cryptozoic Entertainment trading card line.
Old 06-08-2013, 06:19 AM   #16 (permalink)

I have already stopped purchasing Cryptozoic products, and now I will cancel my highly anticipated Archer preorder. I got fed up with Crypto when they started giving generic replies and sub par customer service. They are basically the new Topps IMHO.

TWD is what got me into sketch collecting, and I wont even buy a single card from the new TWD comic series because I simply don't like Crypto anymore.

Collectors need more companies like Viceroy!
Old 06-08-2013, 06:26 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashelton View Post
"We will be working very closely with each of these partners and have full transparency to make sure product is going to the accounts that have supported us from the beginning and that continue to support the entire Cryptozoic Entertainment trading card line.
It's funny, but I thought collectors "support the entire Cryptozoic Entertainment trading card line". this certainly makes me feel like I don't matter if I'm not buying multiple cases. Therefore I wont buy even single sketches (even from accounts that have supported them from the beginning) from their subsidized flippers.

i'll still buy the AP's to support the artists though.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:13 AM   #18 (permalink)

to leave Blowout out seems like a slap in the face to all the supporters on this site ... shame shame shame
ricksam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:49 AM   #19 (permalink)

I think there is a lot of over-reacting going on here. Somebody like Igman, and others who buy multiple cases direct from distributors or Crypto, might be hurt by this. Those of use who buy from LCS probably won't notice a difference... I know my LCS purchases from multiple distributors and direct. Whoever has the best price. I mostly buy online... whoever has the best price (generally not this site).

It would be great to hear a non-canned response from somebody at Crpyto, but based on the environment of this thread I wouldn't expect anybody from over there to bother.
Spider-Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:48 AM   #20 (permalink)

But what if the "best price" is $10 to $15 per box higher than last year? If you've got a few extra hundred dollars laying around, cool. The concern is very few options for point of sale being controlled by a handful of privileged folks who can, very easily, manipulate a higher pricing point and yet totally deny it. You're delusional if you think businesses don't monitor, and adjust accordingly, pricing points on products. It will just make it that much easier for them to do it now. While some may get lucky and get into a preorder quickly, before pricing adjustments, I am highly questioning this new plan from a collector standpoint. If you hadn't noticed, most of the 'smaller' dealers were the ones with the best pricing. I, for one, do not believe that suddenly the folks who had the $10 per box higher pricing history are suddenly going to have a change of heart. JMHO.
Old 06-08-2013, 11:46 AM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellfish View Post
Collectors need more companies like Viceroy!
...But Viceroy just limited distribution to two outlets, themselves?

Yeah, I honestly will never understand the collecting side of this "hobby"
Old 06-08-2013, 12:09 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
...But Viceroy just limited distribution to two outlets, themselves?

Yeah, I honestly will never understand the collecting side of this "hobby"
Viceroy has a dedicated thread on this website to get input from collectors about how they should handle pre-orders and distribution. If I'm not mistaken, the final decision was to let collectors have first crack at all pre-orders prior to moving them to those 2 distributors.
Not really certain why "hobby" is in quotes. What is card collecting/trading if not a hobby?

Also worth mentioning is that the environment of this thread is 100% reflective of peoples experience with Crypto from collectors and distributors. The attitude that we should only say nice things, and just take what we get and shut-up is very Topps-esque.

I stopped buying Crypto way prior to this announcement for the reasons I've already stated. This distribution change simply reconfirms my decision. Crypozoic has had many chances to save me as a customer, but I can never get anything but a canned robotic form response to legitimate complaints.

I spend the same amount of money on APs as I would on CASES of cards. Hopefully that helps support the.... "hobby"
Old 06-08-2013, 01:15 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
If I'm not mistaken, the final decision was to let collectors have first crack at all pre-orders prior to moving them to those 2 distributors.
I think you are mistaken. Carnival was the first release since that thread started, and Carnival was available for pre-order only through Blowout and Solarfly. No direct orders from Viceroy.
Spider-Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 01:16 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Viceroy has a dedicated thread on this website to get input from collectors about how they should handle pre-orders and distribution. If I'm not mistaken, the final decision was to let collectors have first crack at all pre-orders prior to moving them to those 2 distributors.
Not really certain why "hobby" is in quotes. What is card collecting/trading if not a hobby?

Also worth mentioning is that the environment of this thread is 100% reflective of peoples experience with Crypto from collectors and distributors. The attitude that we should only say nice things, and just take what we get and shut-up is very Topps-esque.
I didn't say that you could only say nice things... I just pointed out an amusing incongruity. I know the thread, but no, the final decision was for Viceroy to not sell any themselves and all product went to the 2 distributors.

What is the card industry if not a hobby? A job I draw them, I don't collect them except in very rare instances. Viceroy and Cryptozoic both being companies I've worked for in the past year.
Old 06-08-2013, 01:34 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
I didn't say that you could only say nice things... I just pointed out an amusing incongruity. I know the thread, but no, the final decision was for Viceroy to not sell any themselves and all product went to the 2 distributors.

What is the card industry if not a hobby? A job I draw them, I don't collect them except in very rare instances. Viceroy and Cryptozoic both being companies I've worked for in the past year.
Sorry for the misunderstanding. My reference to saying nice things was more directed at this comment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
It would be great to hear a non-canned response from somebody at Crpyto, but based on the environment of this thread I wouldn't expect anybody from over there to bother.
And the confusion on the hobby quote was because you had said you don't understand the collecting side of the "hobby". To me; collecting is a hobby, producing is a job. I'll never understand the producing side of the industry for sure. I just buy what I like, and I find it reasonable to be insulted by companies who favor large corporations over the people who are supposed to be their target customers. The distributors and authorized online dealers now control the market and that's disappointing to me. I was already a bit jaded, so this news doesn't change much, it just reconfirms my position.

I'm just one collector, and these companies will continue to do fine without my business

I love your work btw Amber. Beautiful colors!