Blowout Cards Forums

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2013, 01:27 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkbag View Post
What is this lovely sketch card from??
Cult Stuff's Titanic release last year.
Titanic Checklist | Cult-Stuff
SBelcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 05:21 PM   #27 (permalink)

I no longer have the picture- (since it was god awful)-- but a Jessica Hickman card from Star Wars 30th-- it was it think supposed to be a Jawa but it was just a blue scribble roughly in the shape of a robe-- at the time some people tried to defend her (fans of hers I guess)-- but it was ridiculous-every normal person I showed it too mocked it--how can you call yourself an artist and turn that in- I dont see how she should have ever gotten work again.. I think it finally sold for .99 on ebay.. (probably so someone could erase that mess and put anything else on it.)

I have also seen pictures of a Death Star-- with 2 small circles and a Lightsaber with two small cylinders- (that combined maybe took 8 seconds together to draw)- I forget who the artists were-but they made the Martinez R2s (pick a card series- since they were all the same) look like masterpieces -

but I dont care if you are doing 500- 1000 sketch cards- those things were horrible and Topps should have been ashamed to even put them in their product..
stewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 05:28 PM   #28 (permalink)

apparently you guys have never seen some of the Player drawn cards from baseball........ makes Waterhouse look like Rembrandt.
Old 07-12-2013, 05:34 PM   #29 (permalink)

Banana Pudding.
jadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 05:39 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_steelers07 View Post
apparently you guys have never seen some of the Player drawn cards from baseball........ makes Waterhouse look like Rembrandt.
Different beast. There are some pretty poor sketch cards out there that were done by some guy named Stan Lee. Those aren't what we are talking about either. We are talking about ARTIST sketch cards, not sketch cards drawn by people who get paid just to sign their name on something.

hehe... it would be funny if this thread filled up with cards from the "BO Decoy Madness" collections
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 12:11 AM   #31 (permalink)

I too have been Indy Jones "monkeyed". Promptly threw it in the garbage.
Ty Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 12:27 AM   #32 (permalink)

Howard Shum in any product
Sushiyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 12:54 AM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushiyoshi View Post
Indeed! junk...
patzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 12:18 PM   #34 (permalink)

there were some star wars light saber .... handles
just the handles
im around, tired and busy w nonhobby stuff
ricksam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 12:35 PM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricksam View Post
just the handles

I am a network admin. If you see me laughing, pray you have a recent backup.
Deathgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 12:39 PM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
One of my most precious sketches is by a writer (Neil Gaiman). It's not very good, but it's drawn by the man.

Same goes for sketches by Robert Kirkman in the various Walking Dead releases. Not very good, but drawn by HIM.

Anyway, I'm sure the players you mentioned put more effort into their creations than many of the so-called artists mentioned in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricksam View Post
just the handles
If well done, the light saber handle can be beautiful. Anything can be if the artist appears to give a damn to deliver a good product.
Nicnac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 04:10 PM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushiyoshi View Post
Like these? Yes, I am the "proud" owner, but only because they wouldn't sell for $5. Both from the same 8 box case.

Dewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 04:14 PM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
I pulled one of those too. Fortunately, it was an extra hit in the box.

Dewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 07:00 PM   #39 (permalink)

The Tempy Moore sketches from Leaf Best of Baseball are awful (Ex: Stan Musial St Louis Cardinals 2012 Leaf 1 1 Hand Drawn Sketch Card Tempy Moore | eBay ). They weren't the point of the product though, and were mostly thrown in so Leaf could resell cards from other companies. Still, some of the sketches were pretty well done. (Ex: 2012 Leaf Best of Baseball Dennis Eckersley RARE Sketch Card 1 1 by Jay Pangon | eBay )
BSLV9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 07:10 PM   #40 (permalink)

In my opinion it would be in the sketch card artists best interest to do the best job on the cards they are allotted...look a Schum and the others many can't stand their work and cringe at the possibility of pulling one of their scribbles while other high quality cards artists are most sought after, therefore elevating the popularity of the artist. that's priceless.
patzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 08:04 PM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by patzee View Post
In my opinion it would be in the sketch card artists best interest to do the best job on the cards they are allotted...look a Schum and the others many can't stand their work and cringe at the possibility of pulling one of their scribbles while other high quality cards artists are most sought after, therefore elevating the popularity of the artist. that's priceless.
and so the great debate continues...

Relevant to this point... I was looking up a specific artist and came across this interview from 2009

Quote:
How do you feel about some collectors wanting more detailed cards versus what sketch card artists are paid to work on the cards?
This is such a tricky thing. I completely understand the collector's desire to have a mini-masterpiece with each sketch card they pull. And I certainly try to do a good job on the cards I draw. However, the amount artists are paid per card is extremely minimal. I have several friends who are artists professionally and if there is one thing they all agree on, it is this: do not devalue your art. If a person is willing to give away their art for practically nothing, it impacts the value of other people's work as well because folks come to expect something for nothing from all artists. I think it is great when artists do beautiful, fully-painted cards that just take people's breath away to look at and a lot of them do it simply for the love of the subject matter. I think the thing for collectors to remember is that they should cherish those cards as something special and not expect it in every card they come across. If they do not want to risk paying for a case on the possibility of just getting true sketches, they should probably hold back their money and use it to buy return cards since they can be sure of what they are getting. Case breaking is a gamble after all!

Another aspect of this debate has to do with an artist investing in themselves. Doing quick sketches and keeping the value of the art in line with what they are being paid is not going to really advance an artist. However, if they devalue their art in the beginning of their careers (as in doing fully painted, intricate scenes), that is a strategy of getting a future return on investment. Because if they go above and beyond, they are more likely to make a name for themselves amongst collectors and eventually be able to command much more when they sell their return cards. Additionally, establishing oneself could lead to opportunities beyond the sketch card world.

So what's right and what's wrong? Whether an artist wants to do a full-color mini-painting or stick to true sketches, neither is the wrong way to go. It really depends on what the artist's goals are and their personal philosophy when it comes to their art and collectors should accept that diversity in opinion. And I'm not even getting into the subjectiveness of art and how beauty can be found in the simplest of lines!
Anyway... I thought it was a thought provoking response to the question.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:39 PM   #42 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by patzee View Post
Speaking as an artist who puts WAY too much time into sketch cards... it's totally not priceless. At all. Much more often than anything else, I feel like I'm probably an idiot. Because, as I've said before in much more length, effort does not automatically equate to popularity. It's a pipe dream and a hard pill to swallow when the artist finally realizes that if you don't have the "it factor" no amount of effort is going to make you popular, let alone sell your APs.

Spider-Fan's quote was pretty awesome... except for that part about the dream. Because artists really do need to know how very unlikely the card industry is to lead anywhere.

Forget the people you hate to pull, even the ones you'll settle for, think of the number of cards you've pulled that justified the price of a box for you and made you happy - then think about how many of those people you've then gone directly to and given money. If you're like most, it's not very many. And the rest of us have piles of blank APs and piles of bills to weigh against that dream everyone force-feeds about a gateway to better things.

...And to hopefully abort the thread of conversation generally takes, this isn't a "boohoo poor me" post. I've been offered comic gigs in the past and turned them down because I have no interest. I'm luckier than most in that I got into this game recognizing most, but definitely not all, of the switch and bait tactics used on artists. So the post is just me being real.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:50 PM   #43 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewman View Post
I pulled one of those too. Fortunately, it was an extra hit in the box.

Better than one of the 500 screaming monkeys...
Old 07-13-2013, 10:30 PM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashelton View Post
Speaking as an artist who puts WAY too much time into sketch cards... it's totally not priceless. At all. Much more often than anything else, I feel like I'm probably an idiot. Because, as I've said before in much more length, effort does not automatically equate to popularity. It's a pipe dream and a hard pill to swallow when the artist finally realizes that if you don't have the "it factor" no amount of effort is going to make you popular, let alone sell your APs.

Spider-Fan's quote was pretty awesome... except for that part about the dream. Because artists really do need to know how very unlikely the card industry is to lead anywhere.

Forget the people you hate to pull, even the ones you'll settle for, think of the number of cards you've pulled that justified the price of a box for you and made you happy - then think about how many of those people you've then gone directly to and given money. If you're like most, it's not very many. And the rest of us have piles of blank APs and piles of bills to weigh against that dream everyone force-feeds about a gateway to better things.

...And to hopefully abort the thread of conversation generally takes, this isn't a "boohoo poor me" post. I've been offered comic gigs in the past and turned them down because I have no interest. I'm luckier than most in that I got into this game recognizing most, but definitely not all, of the switch and bait tactics used on artists. So the post is just me being real.
Yup.
I'm an honest guy to a fault and I've said it on my artcasts, I could give a flying crap what collectors want. I like what I'm doing on the cards and that's the only reason I put any effort into them. Not to please collectors or even the company, just myself. The minute I don't feel it, the card gigs go bye bye.
Of course this doesn't apply to commissions, That's a true fan wanting something from me so I always go above and beyond.
justice41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:56 PM   #45 (permalink)

Those player sketch cards don't even qualify as sketch cards, I consider them a player autograph card, and the majority of those I've seen, I'd display backwards to show off the auto, not the sketch.

I collect sketch cards for the art, not for resell value. At least now I do. Once I stopped trying to turn a profit on them, and just started collecting stuff I like (and can afford, that's a big factor for me) I've found I enjoy my collection so much more now. Also, no more seller's remorse!

I have cards in my collection that a reseller wouldn't look twice at, just because I like them. The majority of my collection are PSC cards that I picked up on eBay, just be cause I liked the style of art, the subject of the piece, or I just thought it looked funky. And Amber, while I may not be able to pick up any AP cards anytime soon, let me say that, as a collector, the detail you put into your sketch cards is greatly appreciated.

I am a network admin. If you see me laughing, pray you have a recent backup.
Deathgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 11:14 PM   #46 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by justice41 View Post
I could give a flying crap what collectors want.
That's a bit harsh...
Old 07-14-2013, 01:31 AM   #47 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicnac View Post
That's a bit harsh...
Not even a bit. It's my view. To put it another way, None of you collectors factor in what I draw or how well it's drawn or anything. I know a lot of artists are collector and fan centric and draw to cater to ya'll. I don't. So the quality of my work is solely dependent on how I feel or think about whatever it is I'm drawing.
justice41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 01:49 AM   #48 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Hope View Post
I too have been Indy Jones "monkeyed". Promptly threw it in the garbage.
i use em as filler like base cards when i trade .. spread it around like holiday fruit cake or ugly sweaters .. re-"gifting" throughout the year
im around, tired and busy w nonhobby stuff
ricksam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 02:42 AM   #49 (permalink)

Someone should gather up all those monkeys and have a bonfire with them. And they need to post a video of it on youtube.

Sometimes I get so frustrated with the lack of effort some of these "artists" put into their "art", it makes me sick. Theres been times when I get in some newly commissioned psc's, and they go straight in the paper shredder. And you know what, it feels great.
THE_BEAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:43 AM   #50 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE_BEAST View Post
Theres been times when I get in some newly commissioned psc's, and they go straight in the paper shredder.
I'm pretty taken back by this comment. Its one thing when your box hit is a worthless sketch, but when it comes to commissioned PSCs you usually get what you pay for or much more. Are we talking about PSCs commissioned from experienced sketch card artists? Or are we talking about $5-$10 PSCs commissioned from an artist you've never heard of or seen their work?

In my experience, when commissioning a PSC from an experienced sketch card artist the finished product is representative of their work. On the other hand, I also attend a lot of local conventions (large and small) and there are always artists advertising sketch cards for $5-$10. You see the same thing on eBay. Those cards tend to be hit or miss, and yes some of them have gone into the garbage.

All I'm saying is I don't complain when all I get is what I paid for. I'd like a better understanding of what it is that you are complaining about. Also, you should update the 'sketch card commission feedback' thread with the names of these artists and examples of the 'paper shredder worthy' work so that other board members don't make the same mistake.