Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2013, 07:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default What's Your Most Disappointing Sketch Card Pull?

What has been your most disappointing sketch card pull? I'm curious to see what you guys have to share on this topic.

Here is mine...

Old 07-05-2013, 07:58 PM   #2 (permalink)

The only disappointment I've had with sketch cards is seller's remorse. I guess I've been lucky.

I am a network admin. If you see me laughing, pray you have a recent backup.
Deathgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yeah, I have plenty of those I could post too
Old 07-05-2013, 08:03 PM   #4 (permalink)

90% of the Walking Dead Comic Series 2. Not enough zombies and too many main characters (and not Michonne).
yorkbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:10 PM   #5 (permalink)

My most disappointing sketch experience was pulling 3 virtually identical Jason Hughes sketches from a single 8 box case of ROTBH:

aggie4ever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:29 PM   #6 (permalink)

I've been really fortunate as well. The worst pull I can recall is a SWG7 pencil "drawing" of an imperial officer. Nothing else I can really complain about in terms of quality.
t2554 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:40 PM   #7 (permalink)

It would have to be one I pulled from the recent Transformer set. Didn't really care for any that I pulled
CAS239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:08 PM   #8 (permalink)

Screeching monkeys from Indiana Jones Heritage and alien skulls from Indiana Jones 4...

Ugh!
Nicnac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:13 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicnac View Post
Screeching monkeys from Indiana Jones Heritage and alien skulls from Indiana Jones 4...

Ugh!
Ditto on this
Colm Feore, Idris Elba, Kat Dennings
Chuck Bartowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:00 PM   #10 (permalink)

baytowntex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:11 PM   #11 (permalink)

Alright theses ones where the artist draws the same thing over and over are making me feel a lot better about my pick.
Old 07-06-2013, 01:58 AM   #12 (permalink)

If anyone has seen the Red Sonja sketch cards (Dynamite Entertainment) by Cully Hamner, which are the same profile sketch, you'd probably agree with the "C'mon Cully, at least try to act as if you cared" lack of pride of craft, creativity and effort on those pieces.

Looks like quick doodles done on sketch cards while sitting on the can, cranking out mediocre work, just to get paid. He's a good artist whose work is published in the mainstream too, so that's what makes it odd for an established artist to allow sub-par work to be seen in public like that.
Stat Monsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 02:56 AM   #13 (permalink)

about 80% of the sketch cards from Mars Attacks Heritage!
patzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:00 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat Monsters View Post
If anyone has seen the Red Sonja sketch cards (Dynamite Entertainment) by Cully Hamner, which are the same profile sketch, you'd probably agree with the "C'mon Cully, at least try to act as if you cared" lack of pride of craft, creativity and effort on those pieces.

Looks like quick doodles done on sketch cards while sitting on the can, cranking out mediocre work, just to get paid. He's a good artist whose work is published in the mainstream too, so that's what makes it odd for an established artist to allow sub-par work to be seen in public like that.
The thing is that many mainstream artists don't care to play the sketchcard artist game of pride vs payment. I actually talked to one on Facebook who was totally insulted he'd been offered $10 per card to work on a comic set. His reaction was "What is my career coming to if I have to accept that?" Where mine was "hey, they offered you double the regular rate, they must really want you." So then he contemplated fifteen minute sketches...

I think, too, they're under the impression you'd want their cards for the name -like autographs with doodles - rather than the art. Because, well, $5 or 10 doesn't sound like a bad *signing* fee.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:13 AM   #15 (permalink)

I've pulled cards that I'm not happy with, but I wouldn't dare post them here. I just can't compete with the disappointment that comes with breaking a box of Mars Attacks, Indiana Jones, or Star Wars. Topps apparently has no standards when it comes to sketches.
Spider-Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 01:09 PM   #16 (permalink)

I think that if the artists are willing to accept an assignment, they should put 100% into their sketch card work. There are tons of other talented artists out there who would kill for the chance to work on a set. I don't understand why 1). artists feel that they are above putting 100% into their card work; and 2). artists take on too large a workload so that the quality of their work suffers (more money, I know, but still). It's shameful.

Artists should realize that 'sketch cards' have evolved from just simple sketches to the art cards you see today. The 'art card' is now what is expected from set directors and collectors. What may have sufficed in the early 90s - a quick doodle - is NOT sufficient today.
jrosales is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 01:23 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
I've pulled cards that I'm not happy with, but I wouldn't dare post them here. I just can't compete with the disappointment that comes with breaking a box of Mars Attacks, Indiana Jones, or Star Wars. Topps apparently has no standards when it comes to sketches.
They probably won't like me saying this, but if you want the truth, it's all about numbers. When fans expect a sketch in every box, and we have to produce 5X more boxes than other, smaller, companies, it becomes very difficult to create that number of high quality sketches, and we can't get picky tossing out the riff-raff. If we did, fans would (and have) complained about not pulling a sketch card at all.

Overall, there are just as many high quality sketches in any Topps set as in sets from other companies, the difference is that Topps' print runs are much higher, and as I said, it is difficult to commission so many in high quality in the time and budget allotted.

That's all i'll say on the subject, but I wanted to explain the position.
alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 01:40 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvin View Post
They probably won't like me saying this, but if you want the truth, it's all about numbers. When fans expect a sketch in every box, and we have to produce 5X more boxes than other, smaller, companies, it becomes very difficult to create that number of high quality sketches, and we can't get picky tossing out the riff-raff. If we did, fans would (and have) complained about not pulling a sketch card at all.

Overall, there are just as many high quality sketches in any Topps set as in sets from other companies, the difference is that Topps' print runs are much higher, and as I said, it is difficult to commission so many in high quality in the time and budget allotted.

That's all i'll say on the subject, but I wanted to explain the position.
First of all, I think everybody appreciates somebody from the company stepping up and making an official statement, whether they like the statement or not. Thank you.

Fully understood. We all know the root of the problem is single artists doing 250, 500, 1000+ sketches for a single set. Personally, I prefer Upper Deck's strategy of sketch hits in about 1:3 boxes of their large run products. Up until recently, the sketch hits were fewer but they were of higher quality so it was worth it. Plus the other boxes had other desirable cards in them - holograms, very rare comic panel cards, etc... I wasn't much for the comic creator autos, but a lot of people collected them. I think there is opportunity for Topps include other high end and limited chase cards as box hits besides sketch cards. That is just my opinion. It sounds like you guys are doing some interesting parallels for the upcoming Mars Attacks release and I look forward to seeing some samples. I long for the return of those awesome 90's 3D holograms (think 92, 93, and 94 Marvel Universe). A boy can dream

Its very disappointing to bust a $40-90 box of cards and your big hit is a sketch you could have bought on eBay for $5 shipped. Whether I'm going to keep it or sell it, I want to feel like the money I spent on that box was well spent.
Old 07-06-2013, 01:54 PM   #19 (permalink)

Appreciate your point of view-- and i agree as a fan that fewer high quality cards is a better, but the reality is that fans (by and large, not this community, for sure) want quantity-- they expect multiple hits per box.

And this is NOT an official statement, just a guy looking to defend against the claim that he and his colleague's have no standards.
alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 02:01 PM   #20 (permalink)

having not pulled many sketches, this one has always bothered me because of the writing. everything is written off center, uneven lettering, and on a slant.

glen87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 02:07 PM   #21 (permalink)

found an example of the reference (with the sketch side by side)

glen87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 02:30 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen87 View Post
found an example of the reference (with the sketch side by side)

Hah yikes! Seems like this is a case of a good idea that missed by having poor execution...
Nicnac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 02:43 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvin View Post
Appreciate your point of view-- and i agree as a fan that fewer high quality cards is a better, but the reality is that fans (by and large, not this community, for sure) want quantity-- they expect multiple hits per box.
I tend to be more understanding than most... to me, the number of hits I expect per box is directly related to the cost per box. I think 1 hit per $25-$35 MSRP is fair.
Old 07-07-2013, 05:39 AM   #24 (permalink)

Dang there are some horrible ones posted... The Walking Dead set had some horrible ones, especially the season one and comic sets... I dont know how they pick their sketch artists sometimes.
kapz01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:45 PM   #25 (permalink)

What is this lovely sketch card from??

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen87 View Post
having not pulled many sketches, this one has always bothered me because of the writing. everything is written off center, uneven lettering, and on a slant.

yorkbag is offline   Reply With Quote