Blowout Cards Forums
Football promo

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2013, 10:47 PM   #51 (permalink)

I've been pretty quiet about Carnival and these new products, but I think there's a few factors going on:

1. timing -- not much build-up yet about the product and very close to the last product
2. with 2 products coming out close together, people are probably wanting more details to decide which one to go for if they can't afford both
3. Spider-Fan's point about the Carnival singles sales scaring aware some of the speculators

I alluded to a bit in the Carnival post, but with SPACE there were a few of us either chasing specific artists or trying to put together the artist set early on and due to the overall small number of sketches available I think we boosted those prices quite a bit in the first few weeks. Other than the most sought after artists, I'm not seeing that same kind of activity with Carnival so far. Although to be fair, the percentage of sold sketch going for more than the pack/box price still is pretty good.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:36 PM   #52 (permalink)

One thing I'll say about the eBay sales for Carnival is that they are going just about how we predicted. Slower than Space in actual sales, but higher in both listing price and sale price. Not to mention that the metal inserts are going for $5+ each, that's $10-$15 a box in sales without even touching your sketch.

What we're seeing is most collectors are listing their sketches at high prices where if it sells that's awesome, and if it doesn't it's no big deal because they kind of wanted to keep it anyway. I don't think it's having that big of an effect on Insectae sales, as the majority of our collectors aren't flipping for profit as a main focus.

Like was said before, this first wave is mostly for those who missed out on Carnival and wanted to get in on a set. With more packs available and The Deep pre-orders in 3 days, most are simply splitting their orders between the two. Also, cases were sold out earlier, but remember they put some back in inventory if someone ordered above the limit.

Overall we're thrilled with the response, and the first wave of pre-orders won't last too much longer.
ViceroyCards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 06:39 AM   #53 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViceroyCards View Post
One thing I'll say about the eBay sales for Carnival is that they are going just about how we predicted. Slower than Space in actual sales, but higher in both listing price and sale price. Not to mention that the metal inserts are going for $5+ each, that's $10-$15 a box in sales without even touching your sketch.
Yeah the inserts are really being sought after. I'm not surprised since us non-sports collectors are known to be set builders Price wise, selling for a little bit more than I expected though.
Spider-Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:51 AM   #54 (permalink)
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViceroyCards View Post
Not to mention that the metal inserts are going for $5+ each, that's $10-$15 a box in sales without even touching your sketch.

Well 9 of the 10 packs have two metal cards, so it's really $10 for the bulk of a case, and when you factor in shipping, fees and supplies, it's more like $4 in sales per pack that you get back.
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:54 AM   #55 (permalink)
Tim

I agree with spider and monkey - for me it's the combination of slow sketch sales for Carnival (not surprising due to the market) and more importantly the 65% increase in production. I just think 1000 sketches of bugs and 1000 sketches of the ocean life are too many. I actually think the inserts have the potential to outperform all but the best of the sketches, which is simultaneously a good thing and a bad thing.

I am being very careful on my presale orders these days, and while I think the pricepoint if fine, and the way VR does things is top-notch, I still am wary of embracing a niche release that has 1000 sketches each...
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:10 AM   #56 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
I agree with spider and monkey - for me it's the combination of slow sketch sales for Carnival (not surprising due to the market) and more importantly the 65% increase in production. I just think 1000 sketches of bugs and 1000 sketches of the ocean life are too many. I actually think the inserts have the potential to outperform all but the best of the sketches, which is simultaneously a good thing and a bad thing.

I am being very careful on my presale orders these days, and while I think the pricepoint if fine, and the way VR does things is top-notch, I still am wary of embracing a niche release that has 1000 sketches each...
I ordered 2 cases last night, and plan to also order 2 of the Deep as well, but the 100 cases / 1000 sketches is slightly turning me off as well, but they are 2 products I really look forward to, just wish it was a smaller production run like Space and Carnival. The way I see it though, is I'd rather get my pre-orders in now, vs spending 300-400 at BO for them, since I know I'll want to bust them
Mystafet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:20 AM   #57 (permalink)

Is Insectae going to include arachnids, or only six-legged little beasties? I'm definitely looking forward to seeing some preying mantises, but the thought of sketches of scorpions and spiders makes me feel all tingly.

I am a network admin. If you see me laughing, pray you have a recent backup.
Deathgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:38 AM   #58 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathgate View Post
Is Insectae going to include arachnids, or only six-legged little beasties? I'm definitely looking forward to seeing some preying mantises, but the thought of sketches of scorpions and spiders makes me feel all tingly.
Let me just ask this right now ... do you really want nerds opening a product labeled "Insectae" and finding spiders?

I mean, the internet would melt down. At least do like a Spider Vs Ant thunderdome illustration if you're going to do that.
eldavojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:59 AM   #59 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldavojohn View Post
I mean, the internet would melt down. At least do like a Spider Vs Ant thunderdome illustration if you're going to do that.
Reminds me of the movie Bugs Life. When the ants march off to war in the beginning. That would be an epic sketch.

Edit: I'm silly, by Bug's life I meant Antz lol.
hellojeffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:37 PM   #60 (permalink)

Quote:
I was wondering the same thing... Will artists draw all the creepy crawlies or just those belonging to class Insecta? If I find out Ted did some amazing hairy tarantula sketch I might kick myself in the ass for not buying 2 cases fishing for that one card.
Spider-Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:08 PM   #61 (permalink)

Ordered my 3 packs of the Deep! Now time to start feverishly reloading the threads until the previews start!

Old 07-18-2013, 09:14 PM   #62 (permalink)

Well there I go- All In! 2 Cases of both Bugs n' Fish =)
Magickyak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:15 PM   #63 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magickyak View Post
Well there I go- All In! 2 Cases of both Bugs n' Fish =)
I'm right there with you...and now awaiting some great previews
Old 07-18-2013, 09:23 PM   #64 (permalink)

I went in for 1 case of each.

Just need to fast forward a few months!
bmemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:42 PM   #65 (permalink)

I was able to snag 3 packs of each in one order to get the free shipping. I'm pretty pumped!
zedd2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:43 PM   #66 (permalink)

1 case of Insectae and 2 cases of The Deep!
coalregion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:01 PM   #67 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedd2k View Post
I was able to snag 3 packs of each in one order to get the free shipping. I'm pretty pumped!
But doesn't that mean they won't ship your Insectae until The Deep comes out?

Old 07-18-2013, 11:42 PM   #68 (permalink)

Quote:
But doesn't that mean they won't ship your Insectae until The Deep comes out?
That's correct. If it gets broken up he'll have to pay for two separate shipments.
CAS239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:46 PM   #69 (permalink)

Still boxes and cases available on both Solarfly and Blowout. Surprised both haven't sold out yet. For those who have the funds and are thinking about buying either, I'd do it now. I predict wave two and three (if there is a 3rd) are going to sell out a lot faster. Get it now while there's little info and teasers out about either before they build up momentum.

Currently:
SolarFly- Case $276.99, Box $27.99
Blowout- Case $294.95, Box $29.95
CAS239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:51 PM   #70 (permalink)

just ordered my 1 case of The Deep!
My first sketch box purchase.
Excited about it!
hellojeffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:57 PM   #71 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Put my request in to host breaks of both! You should see something in a few days.
Old 07-19-2013, 12:50 AM   #72 (permalink)

Does any one know where I can get blank sketch cards? My son is an artist and wants to try his hand at painting a few, thanks.
edclay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:56 AM   #73 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifish73 View Post
Put my request in to host breaks of both! You should see something in a few days.
I was hoping you'd get these up soon, I plan to be taking part!
Old 07-19-2013, 01:04 AM   #74 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Just put my order in for 1 case of The Deep! Anyone know what that $100 survey thing is lol?
Currently Out on Vacation Be back 8/31
Pejarox7620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:19 AM   #75 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pejarox7620 View Post
Just put my order in for 1 case of The Deep! Anyone know what that $100 survey thing is lol?
Don't do it, you give a bunch of information and they give you bad magazine subscriptions.
edclay is online now   Reply With Quote