Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2013, 07:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Utah
Posts: 285
Default Is Topps losing its Star Wars License?

I was at my local CS today and the owner said Topps was losing their license for Star Wars cards at the end of the year? Anyone know if this is true. The owner isn't wrong often so I would imagine it's true...it would also make since do to the 3 star wars products in about 8 months (legacy, files2, and illistrated), might be rushing product out cause it's their last chance......any info is welcome, thanks!
daviswr7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 07:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: In a warehouse of common sense
Posts: 2,415
Default

Well now, that'd make for one hell of a bidding war with 3 new movies on the horizon... First I've heard of it but, I imagine the contract is up at some point.
__________________
BUYING: 2001 UD NFL Legends Autographs - Daunte Culpepper - $300. Steve Young - $350.
BUYING: 2004 Ultimate Collection Jsy/Autos/25 - David Carr, Tom Brady - Paying $550, in case you like money.
nabzy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 07:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
Brobocop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 2,192
Default

Not that I think it would happen, but could you imagine Cryptozoic getting their hands on this one? On-card autographs, costume pieces, all that jazz? I think they could do a heck of a lot better job than Topps, Panini, or Upper Deck. A boy can dream, a boy can dream.
Brobocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 08:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
Spider-Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,233
Default

When the franchise was first acquired by Disney a couple months ago I heard that Dark Horse was losing the comic license at the end of this year. Wouldn't surprise me (or upset me) to hear Topps is losing the trading card license. Although Topps having the license made it easy for me not to buy... things could get costly for me if it acquired by somebody good
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 08:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
Andrew Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 6,631
Default

Other than Panini, no company could come close to paying what Topps has/will. If Panini gets the license, everyone will miss Topps within a year.
__________________
Those who can, do. Those who can't resort to calling other people trolls.
Andrew Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 08:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: In a warehouse of common sense
Posts: 2,415
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brobocop View Post
Not that I think it would happen, but could you imagine Cryptozoic getting their hands on this one? On-card autographs, costume pieces, all that jazz? I think they could do a heck of a lot better job than Topps, Panini, or Upper Deck. A boy can dream, a boy can dream.

I can imagine it. However, I cannot imagine them locating enough money to make it even close. The sad part is, I believe the only competition could come in the form of... ugh... Panini. Who the heck else has the funds to purchase franchise rights to that property? Maybe Disney will keep it in house. It is convenient that Eisner, former CEO, owns Topps though...
__________________
BUYING: 2001 UD NFL Legends Autographs - Daunte Culpepper - $300. Steve Young - $350.
BUYING: 2004 Ultimate Collection Jsy/Autos/25 - David Carr, Tom Brady - Paying $550, in case you like money.
nabzy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 08:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 273
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Jones View Post
Other than Panini, no company could come close to paying what Topps has/will. If Panini gets the license, everyone will miss Topps within a year.
I can assure you I will never miss Topps. They have screwed me and I'm sure many many others out of valuable redemptions. To bad really,they used to be #1 now they are NUMBER TWO(if you get my hidden meaning:-)
spacefanmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 08:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
ViceroyCards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 391
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Jones View Post
Other than Panini, no company could come close to paying what Topps has/will. If Panini gets the license, everyone will miss Topps within a year.
We're saving our pennies to try!

No but seriously... one issue is Disney has a strict policy of only granting licensing rights to companies who have been in business, in the specific market applied, for at least 5 years. This would seem to put Cryptozoic out of the running, but you never know.

The other issue is the trading card sales are such a tiny percentage of overall Star Wars licensing, that Disney could either not care much and just leave it as is, or blow it up and start with fresh deals.
ViceroyCards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 08:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
Andrew Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 6,631
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacefanmick View Post
I can assure you I will never miss Topps. They have screwed me and I'm sure many many others out of valuable redemptions. To bad really,they used to be #1 now they are NUMBER TWO(if you get my hidden meaning:-)
How many Star Wars redemptions has Topps screwed you on? I'm guessing zero. If Panini gets the license, they'll flood the market and kill the secondary value of SW cards. Not to mention the standard several redemption cards per case Panini churns out in almost every product it produces.
__________________
Those who can, do. Those who can't resort to calling other people trolls.
Andrew Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 08:49 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tim
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,943
Default

I would love to see UD get it. Say what you want, but their QC, customer service and content in their non-sports are stellar. While Topps' content is strong (other than the cel cards) across most of their non-sports products, their QC and customer service are not only the worst in our hobby but the worst I have ever encountered.
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:24 PM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 2,115
Default

The only rumor I've heard is that Topps would lose the license because Disney would keep the sets in-house... then they wouldn't hire outside artists to do the sketch cards, and would have their own artists do them. Who knows what the truth is, but it does seem like Topps is trying to fit in a bunch of sets this year, which would point to them thinking or knowing they are losing the license.
aggie4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:20 PM   #12 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: South Florida
Posts: 1,227
Default

All the Marvel Licenses are going the way of the Dodo as well.
justice41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 11:03 PM   #13 (permalink)
Member
 
dd316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 5,004
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie4ever View Post
The only rumor I've heard is that Topps would lose the license because Disney would keep the sets in-house... then they wouldn't hire outside artists to do the sketch cards, and would have their own artists do them. Who knows what the truth is, but it does seem like Topps is trying to fit in a bunch of sets this year, which would point to them thinking or knowing they are losing the license.
They won't pay their artists salaries to do sketch cards when they can more easily pay us less.

I really don't think Topps is going to lose the license. No offense to the OP's LCS owner, but I doubt he has any inside information. Interest in Star Wars is the highest since the prequels right now, it only makes sense that Topps jumps on this.
__________________
MY ARTWORK - tdastick.deviantart.com
dd316 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 11:14 PM   #14 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Utah
Posts: 285
Default

I am highly skeptical, but the owner is quite reliable when it comes to info in this arena. I'm just passing the information on. The owner said they had heard Disney was going to keep it in-house..? not quite sure what that means but I guess well see...
daviswr7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 11:15 PM   #15 (permalink)
Member
 
Nicnac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 8,253
Default

If this is true, I guess I have to say buh-bye to them finishing the original trilogy 3di set. ;(
Nicnac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 11:36 PM   #16 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 273
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Jones View Post
How many Star Wars redemptions has Topps screwed you on? I'm guessing zero. If Panini gets the license, they'll flood the market and kill the secondary value of SW cards. Not to mention the standard several redemption cards per case Panini churns out in almost every product it produces.
I don't like redemptions period.All I'm saying is this:
I've had 6 redemptions total.
2 from Upper Deck. First one received in a timely manner. Second one they had to give me a replacement,a representative of the company called me personally,asked my favorite team. And sent me a nice card from a top player.
2 from Goodwin Champions,both received within 2 months
3 from Topps.One still have nothing after 1 1/2 year wait. The other two,after another 1 1/2 year wait I was given a $5 card in place of a $250(or more) card. The company ignored over 100 emails. And what few times I did get through on the phone,they were no help whatsoever.
spacefanmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 12:06 AM   #17 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,063
Default

i was surprised when they let the lord of the rings go. I wish Topps was doing the Hobbit set. I will be surprised if they dont get the contract to Star Wars again. Upper Deck does the Disney Treasures set so I wouldnt mind them getting the license.
baytowntex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 12:34 AM   #18 (permalink)
Member
 
Nicnac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 8,253
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
I would love to see UD get it. Say what you want, but their QC, customer service and content in their non-sports are stellar. While Topps' content is strong (other than the cel cards) across most of their non-sports products, their QC and customer service are not only the worst in our hobby but the worst I have ever encountered.
What on earth LOL.

UD customer service is awful. They have, perhaps, 3 people handling replacements and redemptions.

Non sport content is abysmal. Thor, Captain America, and on and on, awful top level chases leading to rapid decline in prices in sealed boxes and cases.

Last edited by Nicnac; 07-14-2013 at 02:18 PM.
Nicnac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:04 AM   #19 (permalink)
Member
 
Spider-Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,233
Default

From a content perspective the only real problem with UD is their ability to get autographs.

Interesting you put 'Avengers' on that list. You must be referring to KSW, because the Avengers Assemble movie set was one of the hottest sets of the year. Sealed boxes sold for well over the MSRP.

I would be very excited if UD were to get the sets, if I didn't fear the list of signers would quickly deteriorate.
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:37 AM   #20 (permalink)
Member
 
dd316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 5,004
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post

I would be very excited if UD were to get the sets, if I didn't fear the list of signers would quickly deteriorate.
If UD got the Star Wars license, you'd never see another SW sketch card from me again. They may put out some nice looking products but their business dealings are reprehensible.
__________________
MY ARTWORK - tdastick.deviantart.com
dd316 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:58 AM   #21 (permalink)
Member
 
Spider-Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,233
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd316 View Post
If UD got the Star Wars license, you'd never see another SW sketch card from me again. They may put out some nice looking products but their business dealings are reprehensible.
Fair point. I'm thinking about overall highly collectable sets, not sketches specifically. Fact of the matter is that highly desirable pulls represent only a small portion of the sketch cards that get packed out by either company. Two years ago I would have said UD sketches were really above average in the industry, but their reprehensible business dealings have had their impact.
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 12:35 PM   #22 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 770
Default

Just saying UD has poor business practices isn't fair. In the past yes. But they are working to make changes for the better for the sketchcard artists. Do they slow pay sometimes?

For instance. Cryptozoic is claiming cash poor and guys haven't gotten paid for sets released in November. And you pretty much need to be a part of the good ol boy network to play with them.

I've done 4 or 5 Star Wars sets for Topps. And haven't gotten a comp box yet. In fact, for Galactic Files (released in October of 2012) it took almost 6 months to get my return cards back. All the while, not everyone sends theirs in and can benefit from the set being hot right out of the gate. But, it's in the contract everyone signs to send them in.

All companies have warts, no question. And it's personal choice who you decide to work for or collect, but don't do yourself a disservice over something that you heard happen 4 or 5 years ago.

Stuff changes, often for the worse, but sometimes for the better. Keep an open mind and remember, all the negative crap you hear is more than likely dwarfed by the good stuff no one talks about.

\off
__________________
www.orange-thirteen.com
https://www.etsy.com/shop/OrangeThirteen
http://orangethirteen.tumblr.com/
jadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 01:34 PM   #23 (permalink)
Member
 
Spider-Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,233
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadams View Post
Keep an open mind and remember, all the negative crap you hear is more than likely dwarfed by the good stuff no one talks about.
Very true. I base my statement on UD stuff deteriorating based primarily observations of the UD MB2, MB3 and IM3 breaks which I think have provided generally inferior sketches as compared to the Avengers, Thor, Cap and MB1 breaks. They weren't 1 sketch per box releases, but the sketches sure were above average (in general, of course there were dogs in the mix). UDs artist roster has changed over that time, which I assume is generally because of their business practices which have often been brought to light - but I don't know why each individual has left.
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 01:44 PM   #24 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: South Florida
Posts: 1,227
Default

getting crap from them and paying 1.50 a card will tend to do that.
justice41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 02:11 PM   #25 (permalink)
Member
 
dd316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 5,004
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadams View Post
Just saying UD has poor business practices isn't fair. In the past yes. But they are working to make changes for the better for the sketchcard artists. Do they slow pay sometimes?

For instance. Cryptozoic is claiming cash poor and guys haven't gotten paid for sets released in November. And you pretty much need to be a part of the good ol boy network to play with them.

I've done 4 or 5 Star Wars sets for Topps. And haven't gotten a comp box yet. In fact, for Galactic Files (released in October of 2012) it took almost 6 months to get my return cards back. All the while, not everyone sends theirs in and can benefit from the set being hot right out of the gate. But, it's in the contract everyone signs to send them in.

All companies have warts, no question. And it's personal choice who you decide to work for or collect, but don't do yourself a disservice over something that you heard happen 4 or 5 years ago.

Stuff changes, often for the worse, but sometimes for the better. Keep an open mind and remember, all the negative crap you hear is more than likely dwarfed by the good stuff no one talks about.

\off
Issues with UD go beyond my professional dealings with the company. They just do a lot of things that they don't answer for that, as a collector who spends his hard earned money on this stuff, I can't ignore. Until I see them either apologizing or doing something to right their wrongs, my stance won't change.

Time alone doesn't heal all wounds. Ripping off artists, collectors and business partners doesn't sound like a business model that I can ignore 5 years from now.
__________________
MY ARTWORK - tdastick.deviantart.com
dd316 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
Copyright 2013, Blowout Cards Inc.