Blowout Cards Forums
Blaster Master

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2013, 11:10 AM   #51 (permalink)

Not sure what it could be called, but maybe a "Headlines" insert?
It could be just a card or maybe it could be a relic cut of a newspaper article that details the first discovery of something, or any major creature (oceanic or insect) that was found. ( recent or historic)

Like an example if the loch ness monster was somehow found one day the card could look like a newspaper front page that says like "Nessie is found!" with a cut article from a scottish newspaper or something. Or it could be for older discoveries that happened a few years ago so that the newspaper has that yellowish tint to it and it has historic significance value. Could probably work for weird insects found too lol. Or for scientific discoveries like two headed sharks and stuff.

Edit: and the back could describe the discovery as a way to educate collectors who might not look at that stuff normally XD

Last edited by hellojeffy; 07-15-2013 at 11:15 AM.
hellojeffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:11 PM   #52 (permalink)

Insectae

Famous movie insects. Or movie scenes..etc. Thinking old school 50's ..black scorpion,deadly mantis , Tarantula, Them....
Robk891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:03 PM   #53 (permalink)

I would love to see hydrothermal vent cards for The Deep... bacteria like those found in the earliest days of life on our planet.

Or how about autos from the first scientists to film the giant squid in its natural habitat? With a film cel attached from that event. That would be really neat.
Fenian95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:54 PM   #54 (permalink)

Been thinking about the edible insect cards... you guys think it should be chocolate covered grass hoppers, and western world things like that, or more indigenous peoples uses and recipes from around the world?
ViceroyCards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:58 PM   #55 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViceroyCards View Post
Been thinking about the edible insect cards... you guys think it should be chocolate covered grass hoppers, and western world things like that, or more indigenous peoples uses and recipes from around the world?
I think things from around the world,that people of other cultures eat like we eat French fries. That is,like its no big deal to them.Something that is a comman staple of there diet.But to us pretty disgusting
spacefanmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:00 PM   #56 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacefanmick View Post
I think things from around the world,that people of other cultures eat like we eat French fries. That is,like its no big deal to them.Something that is a comman staple of there diet.But to us pretty disgusting
I was leaning towards that one versus just the weird things we do here. I think it'd be more interesting overall.
ViceroyCards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:21 PM   #57 (permalink)

Yes, I would go for stuff actually eaten locally around the world. I have had authentic East Indian fried grasshoppers, they are surprisingly tasty! Better than the calamari I was talked into trying once....

Fenian95
Old 07-17-2013, 11:47 PM   #58 (permalink)

I'm from Taiwan,

-please don't judge-

my parents took me to a mountainside restaurant once, and it was food based off of stuff from the mountain side (mushrooms, hogs, etc.)

And I had bee egg rolls. Took me 10 minutes to muster the courage to eat it, but dang it was good and I had seconds. Crispiest thing ever, basically your normal spring/egg roll but completely stuffed with fried bees XD
Old 07-18-2013, 07:52 AM   #59 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellojeffy View Post
I'm from Taiwan,

-please don't judge-

my parents took me to a mountainside restaurant once, and it was food based off of stuff from the mountain side (mushrooms, hogs, etc.)

And I had bee egg rolls. Took me 10 minutes to muster the courage to eat it, but dang it was good and I had seconds. Crispiest thing ever, basically your normal spring/egg roll but completely stuffed with fried bees XD
Who could judge? My dad loves fried pork brains scrambled with eggs. My mom's favorite snack is pickled pigs feet. I could sit down and eat handfuls of fried dove hearts. Regional cuisine is going to seem strange to anyone who isn't familiar with the food. I have one question, though. Did they remove the stingers from the bees?

I am a network admin. If you see me laughing, pray you have a recent backup.
Deathgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:23 AM   #60 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathgate View Post
Who could judge? My dad loves fried pork brains scrambled with eggs. My mom's favorite snack is pickled pigs feet. I could sit down and eat handfuls of fried dove hearts. Regional cuisine is going to seem strange to anyone who isn't familiar with the food. I have one question, though. Did they remove the stingers from the bees?

I dont recall, I was about 14 or so at the time, so I just chomped away. I know the whole body is there (including the bulb shape butt haha) but not sure if the stinger is in there. I'd like to think it was removed, but it was also a lot of bees (entire roll is stuffed with bees, a plate being 6 rolls or so) so they might not have taken the time to remove them all, because that would be a lot of prep time and it's in a rural location lol

Im still alive
Old 07-18-2013, 11:00 AM   #61 (permalink)

If you're doing edible insects you HAVE to get rainflies which are something of a special event in much of southern Africa. When it rains, they come out in the millions and fly around under street lights. You can see people under each light with plastic bags scooping them up

http://farm2.staticflickr.com/1346/1...95b_z.jpg?zz=1
Nicnac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:49 AM   #62 (permalink)

Can there be clowns in Insectae?
zedd2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:29 AM   #63 (permalink)

I just hope someone does Flower Mantis sketches. A nice mixture of beauty and wtf:

eldavojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:15 PM   #64 (permalink)

The more I look at pictures of insects, the more I am getting excited for this set. Velvet wasps, dung beetles, rhinoceros beetles, Japanese beetles, ladybugs, tobacco hornworms, luna moths, monarch butterflies!

I might have to pick up a few more boxes!

I am a network admin. If you see me laughing, pray you have a recent backup.
Deathgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:00 PM   #65 (permalink)

I'd love to see an artist's interpretation of what we DON'T know is out there in the deep blue sea. Not necessarily mythological creatures, per se, but the beauty of The Deep is what we can't see.
Old 07-19-2013, 02:31 PM   #66 (permalink)

How about a "living fossil"/"lazurus taxon" subset for the Deep? There are several marine animals that were considered extinct for millions of years but then rediscovered living- such as the Monoplacophora or Coelacanth fish. Quite interesting!
Old 07-19-2013, 04:04 PM   #67 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldavojohn View Post
I just hope someone does Flower Mantis sketches. A nice mixture of beauty and wtf:
I'm sure that cards for this set haven't been completed yet, so hopefully after seeing those awesome picks a couple of artists decide to include one in their set
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 04:48 PM   #68 (permalink)

For the Deep set, actual relics from shipwrecks, old school diving bell glass, or pieces from actual oxygen pumps that provided the oxygen to the divers before scuba tanks were around would be pretty nifty.

Jason
jadams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 04:49 PM   #69 (permalink)

Also, for the deep.

Original vintage Sea Monkeys. Those things rock the house.
jadams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:25 PM   #70 (permalink)

Viceroy Insectae - Insect Anatomy Diagram inserts , could also work for The Deep set I suppose
similar to the picture shown

Last edited by baytowntex; 07-19-2013 at 07:30 PM.
baytowntex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:01 PM   #71 (permalink)

This may sound simple.. But I think with the Deep.. This would be a great chance for a redemption for tickets to your local aquarium. This way the adults that are buying these products can also do something special for their kids (or themselves) and just taking a trip to their local aquarium to experience "The Deep". Either a day or a year pass. I think that would be something fun for everyone.
Shimey013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:02 PM   #72 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimey013 View Post
This may sound simple.. But I think with the Deep.. This would be a great chance for a redemption for tickets to your local aquarium. This way the adults that are buying these products can also do something special for their kids (or themselves) and just taking a trip to their local aquarium to experience "The Deep". Either a day or a year pass. I think that would be something fun for everyone.
I think there's two problems with this:

1) not everyone lives a reasonable distance from an aquarium, and even with passes, it might cost them more to go than not

2) for those people that do live close to aquariums, you don't want to pull a redemption for something you could just do any ol' Saturday if you're interested

Redemptions need to feel like something that, without some extraordinary effort, I wouldn't be able to get on my own.
bmemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:31 PM   #73 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmemike View Post
I think there's two problems with this:
i thought ryan was doing a pretty good job judging the suggestions... no reason to steal his thunder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViceroyCards View Post
Feel free to think outside the box, and don't worry about an idea being too crazy. We're open to trying new things. If they fail, no big deal
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote