Blowout Cards Forums
Holiday Madness

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2013, 06:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Viceroy Insectae/The Deep Insert Card Suggestions

Hey guys! Since we've got some time before the next 2 sets ship this Fall, we thought it'd be fun to get your suggestions and ideas for inserts on Insectae and The Deep. Everyone here has really embraced what we're trying to do, so we wanted to include the community in helping to shape a small part of the upcoming sets and see what happens!

We have a few plans already for inserts cards and sets, but we're interested in what you think would be fun, unique, interesting and new for these themes. Feel free to think outside the box, and don't worry about an idea being too crazy. We're open to trying new things. If they fail, no big deal, we'll just have record of who suggested it and we can all shun you at a later date.

So with that said, let's hear your ideas! I'll edit this main post as we go with suggestions and ideas, and we can narrow it down as the set progresses. We'll even let you know if we try some prototypes and post the results here. I'll start with a few that have been kicked around a little to get the ball rolling.

Also... if we use your idea (and it's not one we already had planned to do internally), we'll send you a free box of whichever set you choose!

Insectae
  • Vintage scientific slide relic cards
  • 35mm insect photo negative relic cards (Film Cel relic basically)
  • Entomology style whole or part real insect relic card (redemption probably due to size)
  • Modern Entomologist autographs
  • Historic Entomologist cut autos
  • Extremes of nature (longest living insect, biggest, deadliest, etc.) - monkeymcgee
  • Edible insects subset - Fenian95 and/or Insect recipe cards - Deathgate

The Deep
  • Relic cards with sand or water from beaches and oceans around the world
  • Shark tooth fossil relic cards
  • Sand Dollar or Star Fish relic cards
  • Sketches or painting on sand dollars or seashells - Deathgate
  • Shipwreck treasure (coins) or similar relic cards
  • Extremes of nature (longest living sea creature, biggest, deadliest, etc.) - monkeymcgee
  • Fish skeleton relic card - Spider-Fan
  • Shark cage diver film cel/autos - Spider-Fan
  • Coral themed insert set - wiltiger7
  • 'Headline' discoveries - hellojeffy

Last edited by ViceroyCards; 07-17-2013 at 11:51 PM.
ViceroyCards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:09 PM   #2 (permalink)

All great ideas you have so far. As we know I was a huge fan if the solar system and telescope sculpture's in Space:-) I liked the entomology put out by another company. But I'll tell you they were very fragile,and often damaged during shipping. So keep the bugs small,they will hold together better. I love the aspect of input from the people. Just another of the amazing things that sets you guys apart from EVERYONE else. Ill defiantly work on some input for you.
spacefanmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

Sharknado movie relics

/thread
wesnilevirus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesnilevirus View Post
Sharknado movie relics

/thread
I actually want to get in with them, and produce a trading card set for each of their fun, crazy movies. It could release the same week the movie comes out, and have autos, relics, etc. It'd be awesome, but we haven't been able to get anywhere with it yet.
Old 07-14-2013, 07:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

I know some of the great explorers, sailors, and pirates have been covered in other products. However, what about an insert set covering some of the key contributors to navigation technology and cartography?

Also an insert set covering some of the extremes of the insect and ocean worlds (tallest underwater mountain/volcano, longest-living bug, etc).
Old 07-14-2013, 07:36 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymcgee View Post
I know some of the great explorers, sailors, and pirates have been covered in other products. However, what about an insert set covering some of the key contributors to navigation technology and cartography?

Also an insert set covering some of the extremes of the insect and ocean worlds (tallest underwater mountain/volcano, longest-living bug, etc).
Interesting ideas. With the explorers and pirates, etc... we were actually considering a separate set with that theme. It would be based on REAL pirates, explorers, and things like that, instead of fiction based. Cartographers could fit that set, or potentially this one as well. For The Deep, the original plan was to base it only on the creatures and habitats of the ocean. We're deciding now whether to expand it or not. I think there is enough explorer/pirate/cartographer subject matter for a whole extra set. Or... The Deep Series 2: Explorers.

I do like the idea of extremes of the both worlds, underwater and insects. I'll add it to the list.
Old 07-14-2013, 07:38 PM   #7 (permalink)

Shipwreck coins for The Deep would be awesome, I have 2 Mexican Pillar Dollars(pieces of eight) from a Canadian shipwreck and they are very cool.

For Insectae, how about a Bear Grylls insert set- Bugs I Have Eaten, possibly autographed?

Fossil relic cards for either set would be really neat as well- trilobytes, fish, megalodon teeth. These would probably have to be redemption. How about a mosquito in amber for Insectae?

I look forward to these two sets. My 4 Carnival boxes should finally arrive Mon/Tues. Come on Cook Beard of Bees....

Fenian95
Fenian95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:47 PM   #8 (permalink)

For the deep -
Relics from actual submarines and/or deep see diving equipment
Autographs from those guys that go down in the shark cages
Film cell cards from the footage shot by those guys that go down in the shark cages
(obviously autographed film cell cards from those guys that go down in the shark cages)
A thick plastic trading card with an entire small fish skeleton encased in it
Glow in the dark cards of bioluminescent sea creatures
Marine aquarium redemption prize card
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:48 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenian95 View Post
Shipwreck coins for The Deep would be awesome, I have 2 Mexican Pillar Dollars(pieces of eight) from a Canadian shipwreck and they are very cool.

For Insectae, how about a Bear Grylls insert set- Bugs I Have Eaten, possibly autographed?

Fossil relic cards for either set would be really neat as well- trilobytes, fish, megalodon teeth. These would probably have to be redemption. How about a mosquito in amber for Insectae?

I look forward to these two sets. My 4 Carnival boxes should finally arrive Mon/Tues. Come on Cook Beard of Bees....

Fenian95
Insects in amber is something on our list to try. Only issue is most of them are oval shaped, and the cards would have to be super thick to imbed them unless we slice the amber. There are a few other options for imbedded insect we're looking at, and we'll probably test some prototypes next month.

Edible insects could be a fun insert set. Insects that are part of cultural recipes or indigenous peoples meals. Not exactly your idea, but you get the credit! Not sure we could get Bear Grylls, but who knows!
Old 07-14-2013, 07:56 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
For the deep -
Relics from actual submarines and/or deep see diving equipment
Autographs from those guys that go down in the shark cages
Film cell cards from the footage shot by those guys that go down in the shark cages
(obviously autographed film cell cards from those guys that go down in the shark cages)
A thick plastic trading card with an entire small fish skeleton encased in it
Glow in the dark cards of bioluminescent sea creatures
Marine aquarium redemption prize card
- Vintage equipment relic cards is something on our list, and we're looking at the possibilities of getting old suits or similar for relic cards.

- We've considered autos from various deep sea divers, even trying to get James Cameron autos based on his Challenger Deep dive

- Film Cels with autos... could be a fun idea. I'll have to figure out who would be good to get, and if they are open to the idea.

- Fish skeleton would be cool, similar to the entire bug entomology card, only fossilized.

- We're looking at a lot of options with glow in the dark, black light ink, clear or acetate cards, etc. Seems like they would lend themselves well to a water themed set.

- Not sure how practical an aquarium redemption would be. Although, maybe a prize where you could pick out your own.. but that's kind of just like including a gift card in a card set. We have some other ideas for interesting redemptions that we might reveal later.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:05 PM   #11 (permalink)

Some of the most fascinating deep sea creatures utilize bioluminescence. You could make parts of the card glow in the dark, highlighting what the creatures would appear like in the total darkness.

** nevermind, already added above.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:05 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViceroyCards View Post
- Film Cels with autos... could be a fun idea. I'll have to figure out who would be good to get, and if they are open to the idea.
When is shark week?
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:09 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
When is shark week?
Funny you mention that... Shark Week was a 'brand' at the licensing expo, and we were trying to figure out if it would make a cool set. I think it's at the beginning of August, and that didn't give us enough time to get sketches done and brand the set. Maybe for 2014 though!
Old 07-14-2013, 08:10 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabzy28 View Post
Some of the most fascinating deep sea creatures utilize bioluminescence. You could make parts of the card glow in the dark, highlighting what the creatures would appear like in the total darkness.

** nevermind, already added above.
Yeah that was the plan, with the glow being on the sides of eels, tip on the Angler Fish, on some jelly fish, etc. We're looking at it now, but when you get into those specialty inks at such a low product run, the costs are really high. We're still working on it though!
Old 07-14-2013, 08:14 PM   #15 (permalink)

Would work for either set,and playing off of ideas already put out by others.
But how about small 3D Hand painted ( not real,but plastic)creatures,inside a small wood/metal frame. Like the frames made by Curd for Space. Probably a bit time consuming but on a limited production run of one 10-15. I know David's work with tiny items like this he could absolutely do it.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:17 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacefanmick View Post
Would work for either set,and playing off of ideas already put out by others.
But how about small 3D Hand painted ( not real,but plastic)creatures,inside a small wood/metal frame. Like the frames made by Curd for Space. Probably a bit time consuming but on a limited production run of one 10-15. I know David's work with tiny items like this he could absolutely do it.
We were trying to think of a way to use the artist sculpture cards again, and that could work. We thought maybe compass, periscope or other nautical style sculptures also. But again that falls back on whether we decide to keep it creature focused or include other themes from the sea.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:24 PM   #17 (permalink)

My suggestion for the Deep from this thread: Viceroy INSECTEA and THE DEEP

Sanddollars with small painted sketches on them.

I had a similar idea for Insectae, but how many of your artists do you think you could convince to paint on the back of a bug, say a Madagascar hissing cockroach?

And speaking of Insectae, if you decide against the edible insects insert, you could always replace them with recipe cards! You could include a fact on each one, like comparisons of protein content vs. traditional sources, cost of producing a pound of edible insects vs a pound of beef, and so on.

I am a network admin. If you see me laughing, pray you have a recent backup.

Last edited by Deathgate; 07-14-2013 at 08:29 PM.
Deathgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:51 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathgate View Post
My suggestion for the Deep from this thread: Viceroy INSECTEA and THE DEEP

Sanddollars with small painted sketches on them.

I had a similar idea for Insectae, but how many of your artists do you think you could convince to paint on the back of a bug, say a Madagascar hissing cockroach?

And speaking of Insectae, if you decide against the edible insects insert, you could always replace them with recipe cards! You could include a fact on each one, like comparisons of protein content vs. traditional sources, cost of producing a pound of edible insects vs a pound of beef, and so on.
I doubt I could get anyone to draw on a bug, but I'll look into it!

I like the recipe idea... I added it to the edible bug idea. Could go either way with those. Bug on the front, recipe using that bug on the back.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:58 PM   #19 (permalink)

I want to put my voice into the ring that any special cards for The Deep avoid, at all costs, any marine life.

The oceans are remarkably fragile and we continue to devastate them by removing untold amount of animals and plant life from our waters day after day. It may seem like a cool idea (and some people may enjoy) shark tooth inserts, but lets not forget that animals _had to die_ in order for those inserts to become available.

The more you can spin relics to line up with conservation efforts (such as the Jacques Cousteau redemption sig idea that I saw mentioned elsewhere), the better this will be for everyone.

</soapbox>
bmemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:02 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
We were trying to think of a way to use the artist sculpture cards again, and that could work. We thought maybe compass, periscope or other nautical style sculptures also. But again that falls back on whether we decide to keep it creature focused or include other themes from the sea.
And the frame could take on a sunken ship look aka,rotten timers(simulated) riveted metal. But this could as well fit into a whole new set of cards Antique Nautical,like you said compass hand held mono-telescope.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:04 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmemike View Post
I want to put my voice into the ring that any special cards for The Deep avoid, at all costs, any marine life.

The oceans are remarkably fragile and we continue to devastate them by removing untold amount of animals and plant life from our waters day after day. It may seem like a cool idea (and some people may enjoy) shark tooth inserts, but lets not forget that animals _had to die_ in order for those inserts to become available.

The more you can spin relics to line up with conservation efforts (such as the Jacques Cousteau redemption sig idea that I saw mentioned elsewhere), the better this will be for everyone.

</soapbox>
I'm with you on that angle. The shark tooth relic was more for fossilized ones, instead of modern versions used in jewelry, etc.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:06 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
I'm with you on that angle. The shark tooth relic was more for fossilized ones, instead of modern versions used in jewelry, etc.
I could totally get behind fossils!
bmemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:07 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacefanmick View Post
And the frame could take on a sunken ship look aka,rotten timers(simulated) riveted metal. But this could as well fit into a whole new set of cards Antique Nautical,like you said compass hand held mono-telescope.
I definitely like the idea, I'm just wondering if it fits better with an explorers or nautical set, versus this theme. I think that kind of set would be pretty cool down the road.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:07 PM   #24 (permalink)

I would like to see an insert set dedicated to the many times of corals. It would also be nice if some of the artists do sketches of coral as there are many beautiful pieces that can be done. For example

wiltiger7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:11 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
I definitely like the idea, I'm just wondering if it fits better with an explorers or nautical set, versus this theme. I think that kind of set would be pretty cool down the road.
Agreed,an explorer/nautical set would be AWESOME.