Blowout Cards Forums
eBay Card Event 4/27/14 SM

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2013, 09:32 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Free cards in Walt Disney World

Figured this deserves its own thread instead of being hidden in the Topps thread (check the convo between CAS239 and myself): Is Topps losing its Star Wars License?

Yes, there actually is something FREE in Walt Disney World!

There are a few different sets going on - one is the Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom. You can buy booster packs in the park, but you can also get a free pack with each paid admission daily at the Fire Station on Main Street or a location in Liberty Square (I'm not entirely sure where that one is).

These are interactive - they have kiosks set up around the park and you use the cards to activate them. They put you on some kind of quest. I haven't gotten any yet so I can't say exactly what it does.

Another set is Transportation cards. These are a nice Disney secret - the only way you can get them is to ask Disney Transportation Cast Members if they have any. There are two sets - one /18 and the other /25. The /18 set is older, so they're probably phasing out and may be tougher to locate. Typically the Cast Members carry these in their pockets in rubber bands, so they are very condition sensitive.

And the last set I know of are Safety cards, these feature Timon and Pumbaa. I don't have any info on how to get these but I know they exist and they're free. If anyone can chime in, that would be helpful.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

Hmm, I'm going to have to look into the safety cards too and see how to obtain them.

When I go next weekend I'll try to get as many as I can. Also good tip on checking with the transportation booth. Any that I can find I'll post in here
CAS239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:33 PM   #3 (permalink)

Are those cards with the rounded edges plastic? They look kinda like the SDCC hotel key cards
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:59 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
Are those cards with the rounded edges plastic? They look kinda like the SDCC hotel key cards
I know the Safety cards are standard card stock, not sure about the Sorcerer ones.

The Transportation cards are a really thin card stock.
Old 07-16-2013, 02:40 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
I believe the cards for the interactive game are indeed plastic like a hotel key card. They have the electronic wiring inside them to be able to interact with spots in the park and remember your saved gameplay for up to a week I believe it is.
Old 07-16-2013, 02:52 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAS239 View Post
I believe the cards for the interactive game are indeed plastic like a hotel key card. They have the electronic wiring inside them to be able to interact with spots in the park and remember your saved gameplay for up to a week I believe it is.
Just looked them up a little bit, seems cards #61-70 are rare and sell for about $15-$20 each. Also, there were special cards given out at the Halloween and Christmas parties last year that go for around $50. I'd imagine they'll do the same again this year.

And there was an oversized Cast Member card that they gave out only to Cast Members on the program launch date last year - one recently sold for $225!
Old 07-16-2013, 03:36 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd316 View Post
Just looked them up a little bit, seems cards #61-70 are rare and sell for about $15-$20 each. Also, there were special cards given out at the Halloween and Christmas parties last year that go for around $50. I'd imagine they'll do the same again this year.

And there was an oversized Cast Member card that they gave out only to Cast Members on the program launch date last year - one recently sold for $225!
There's a checklist for the interactive game cards? Post or link it please. I didn't know they were numbered too, thought it was just like a random game card
Old 07-16-2013, 03:49 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAS239 View Post
There's a checklist for the interactive game cards? Post or link it please. I didn't know they were numbered too, thought it was just like a random game card
I just did an Ebay search. There's got to be a checklist published somewhere...

And here it is: Disney's Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom - Cards, Map and iOS Checklist.... - Scott G Sanders

Another site for it: Complete Checklist | Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom
Old 07-16-2013, 04:16 PM   #9 (permalink)

Not on topic, but one of my goals in life is to get into Club 33 (although that sounds like that's not as difficult as it once was).

[Inactive]
monkeymcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:23 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymcgee View Post
Not on topic, but one of my goals in life is to get into Club 33 (although that sounds like that's not as difficult as it once was).
I wouldn't know what to do if I got in there. I'd probably feel like I didn't belong.

I work on t-shirts for a horror convention. The one year I attended, I was told since I was "an employee" to go to a hotel suite where the VIP party was. They let me in, and I was so uncomfortable. Here I am in a room where Tony Todd and Ken Foree among many others (horror fans will know these guys) are mingling with everyone and I felt so out of place. I stayed for like 5 minutes before I split.
Old 07-16-2013, 04:31 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
I wouldn't know what to do if I got in there. I'd probably feel like I didn't belong.

I work on t-shirts for a horror convention. The one year I attended, I was told since I was "an employee" to go to a hotel suite where the VIP party was. They let me in, and I was so uncomfortable. Here I am in a room where Tony Todd and Ken Foree among many others (horror fans will know these guys) are mingling with everyone and I felt so out of place. I stayed for like 5 minutes before I split.
Yeah, I know the feeling (in a different context, of course). I figure by the time I could roll into Club 33 (and roll with someone who could get me in), I'd have a sufficient net worth that I could faithfully execute the "Act As If" speech from Boiler Room and get through the evening.

If not, there's always Xanax

[Inactive]
monkeymcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:47 PM   #12 (permalink)

I actually have some of these from 2 months ago when we went with the family. They feel more like a regular card stock than a hotel key. My son became obsessed with the game and we spent as much time looking for the portals as anything else there. Some of the cards are more rare than others. You also get another pack when you compete the quest. Also they sell "packs" in the gift shops.
ldsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:56 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldsports View Post
I actually have some of these from 2 months ago when we went with the family. They feel more like a regular card stock than a hotel key. My son became obsessed with the game and we spent as much time looking for the portals as anything else there. Some of the cards are more rare than others. You also get another pack when you compete the quest. Also they sell "packs" in the gift shops.
Thanks for the info! Is the bonus pack for completing the quest the same as the initial packs?
Old 07-16-2013, 05:29 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Thanks for the info! Is the bonus pack for completing the quest the same as the initial packs?
Yes...just another pack
ldsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 01:46 PM   #15 (permalink)

Hey CAS239, any luck?
Old 08-02-2013, 12:57 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Hey CAS239, any luck?
I went, but only got to ask one guy working on the monorail who said he ran out for the day. I only hopped on the monorail to and from magic kingdom and wound up taking no other Disney transportation, so unfortunately couldn't get around to asking any other.

Was going to swing by the transportation centers but didn't see one outside magic kingdom or Hollywood studios.

I'll be back sometime mid September, and will be there more than a day and a half, so I'm definitely going to make sure to ask around a lot more
Old 08-09-2013, 03:57 PM   #17 (permalink)

The SOTMK cards- also have 2 other cards that were only available at the Halloween and Christmas Mickey Parties (which means you had to buy a 50.00 ticket to get the cards)--

Chip n dale for Halloween and Prep and Landing for the Christmas Party-

When you buy the 10 card board game packs (not the free ones) you get 1 very rare card and nine others-- when the promotion first started the very rare cards were 1 in every 100 of the free packs-as they moved along the rare cards are no longer in the free packs you get at the firehouse-
so its most feasible to buy 10 of the board game packs and hope you luck out.. When this first started the rare cards were running upwards of 75.00 a piece-- once the store bought packs came out-- the price dropped significantly.

There was another cast member card given out to the survey takers involved with SOTMK-- one of those sold for like 600.00
stewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 09:46 AM   #18 (permalink)

Best collecting experience in YEARS.

I took my 4yr.old to DISNEY.
Someone made me aware that when you ride the Monorail,
you can ask the conductor for a trading card.
I forgot to ask 2 years ago when i went.

When i got my card this year, imagine my surprise when it said it was part of a 27 card set. I inquired, and found out you can get a different trading card on each of the boats, busses & monorails. So my boy & i started 'the chase.'

This wasn't about expensive autographs, rarity, or even condition.
This was 'back to basics.'
It felt like my childhood experience again.

About 90% of all Transportation drivers were aware of the program;
but only 50% of the drivers actually had cards to hand-out.
And often, they had been in their pocket for days getting beat up,
waiting for someone to come ask.
It was quite the hunt, a whole lot like Halloween Trick-or-Treating.
"Hello, do you have a Transportation Card?"

We would go a half dozen drivers in a row with a 'dry-spell,'
but then find one that had 3 different cards to choose from.
Anyways ... here's the cards ...
I never got them all, but built memories around the ones i acquired.

HINT: You don't actually have to ride the Transportation; just find the driver.
We rode busses 90% of the time, and knocked out the 3 bus cards right away.
Only 1 bus driver had a non-bus card (monorail).

... And while we're at it:
If you waited in line to get a picture with the RALPH character, you got a card:

cmixer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 02:07 PM   #19 (permalink)

SOTMK has another exclusive card--

THis time it features the Hitchkiking Ghosts fom the Haunted Mansion--
Only available when purchasing a ticket to Mickeys Not so Scary Halloween Party (and ebay of course)
Old 09-23-2013, 02:12 PM   #20 (permalink)

That Autograph Card scares me- if thats going to be a new thing for every character meet and greet-- thats a huge collection (and lots of line waiting)- to get all those cards..
Old 09-23-2013, 07:11 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewbacca View Post
That Autograph Card scares me- if thats going to be a new thing for every character meet and greet-- thats a huge collection (and lots of line waiting)- to get all those cards..
That's not really a collectible trading card. It's a Disney Photopass. You get that after meeting a character or after some rides to redeem near the front of the park to get whatever pictures you might've had Disney take.
Old 09-27-2013, 04:29 PM   #22 (permalink)

Well, I'm back from my vacation and it was quite a roller-coaster (pun intended) that resulted in me bringing home NO cards, save for a single pack of Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom. Chasing a 3 year old old with sickness running through our whole family while down there didn't leave much time for card-chasing.

They did change up the rules for the Sorcerers after our first day (figures). Before, you could automatically get one pack per day per guest. Now, you have to actually play the game and progress before they'll give you the next pack. That's what pretty much stymied me on getting more because we were never where the next move needed to be made on my game.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:25 PM   #23 (permalink)

Went to Disney last week for one day after a day at Halloween Horror Nights at Universal studios.

Was determined this time to find some cards. Took the ferry to Magic Kingdom and asked a worker on the boat. He said he didn't have any cards on him, but to keep asking because some do and some don't. After we got off the boat I went up to the little transportation info booth, asked the lady, and I saw her open up a draw full of cards

She went through and scanned what she had and gave me every card she had that wasn't a duplicate. So only 3 cards, but that's 3 more then what I had. Definitely going to ask again next time I go which will probably be sometime next month.

Old 11-06-2013, 05:21 PM   #24 (permalink)

ANother SOTMK card anounced-- only available at Mickeys Christmas Party-- Huey, Louie and Dewey (I think its Snowball Barrage or something like that)
Old 11-06-2013, 06:13 PM   #25 (permalink)

And here's another heads-up. The Transportation set has a new version out, this time numbered out of 26.