Blowout Cards Forums
Football promo

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2013, 09:50 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default How I Met Your Mother (HIMYM) Cards?

Not sure if this has been brought up, but just wondering how come a company hasn't picked up How I Met Your Mother license yet?

Even Parks and Recreation has cards now from Press Pass, and was wondering how come a card company hasn't picked up HIMYM. It's been out longer and I feel alot of people watch it. I think someone should try lol.

Is it too expensive? Or not enough interest? Or maybe the actors refuse to sign autos

I'd go crazy for HIMYM cards
hellojeffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:23 PM   #2 (permalink)

I think it is a good idea, but I don't see it happening since this is the last season for the show.
warjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

If they could line up all the autos and do a single set archiving all the episodes with some cool subsets and tons of memorabilia I think it would still be successful. Although I agree, if it hasn't happened yet its probably not going to.
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:40 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellojeffy View Post
Not sure if this has been brought up, but just wondering how come a company hasn't picked up How I Met Your Mother license yet?

Even Parks and Recreation has cards now from Press Pass, and was wondering how come a card company hasn't picked up HIMYM. It's been out longer and I feel alot of people watch it. I think someone should try lol.

Is it too expensive? Or not enough interest? Or maybe the actors refuse to sign autos

I'd go crazy for HIMYM cards
i dont think there is enough interest, especially with all the other shows and movies that would be more successful sets
baytowntex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:47 PM   #5 (permalink)

I think it's like "Friends" and other shows where there's fans but not collectors, so might be a bad licensing deal given the fact it would probably cost a lot for the license, so it's not like it's free to produce.

Usually, it's the comic book, sci-fi, action/adventure, fantasy type shows and movies that do well with card collectors, basically shows with that fanatical appeal, even like "Glee"

I'd like to see a "Mad Men" set with a scratch and sniff chase card that smells like cigarettes...
Stat Monsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:53 PM   #6 (permalink)

Think you hit the nail on the head, Stat Monsters.
I'd like to see it made, but the license would cost a small fortune and it just wouldn't fit in the card world. But I've been wrong before
SBelcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:36 AM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to AceGambit3 Send a message via MSN to AceGambit3

I think it is funny how many people are so quick to write off a set based upon this show, and use the excuse of there wouldn't be a fan base for it or these type of sets never do well. there's a Downton Abbey set coming out for crying out loud. we've got a psych set coming, revenge set coming, sons of anarchy and Breaking Bad set coming. but one of the top rated shows on TV, with a great cast of autograph potential isnt really going to do anything? must explain why NPH Americana autograph goes for about $100 some days, oh and why Cobie Smulders autograph you can't get below $200. so yes A How I Met Your Mother set would do pretty well if put together right but about the only reason given that's a legit one so far in this thread is the fact that we're in the last season but if someone could do an archive types set for them it would be awesome. and would sell out like crazy. anyone who's in the non sports community can easily see that
AceGambit3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:10 AM   #8 (permalink)

I see a lot of the points being made. I agree I imagine it would cost a small fortune to get the license, just like Friends would. And it's kind of late into the show as it will be ending soon. I'm not sure if the HIMYM community is a collector type or not, I have some friends that are the kind that takes the time to watch HIMYM when it airs, but it's hard for me to imagine them buying cards. But I'd collect but I'm already sucked into the hobby lol.

An archives similar to the Heroes one might do well, with many autos per box but hard to get the main chase cards (NPH, etc). They could prob dilute the product with many autos like Stella's or any of Ted's ex-gfs autos, similar to how in Heroes Archives they dilute the product and make it hard to get Hayden Panettiere's auto.

But like AceGambit said, there's a lot of random show sets that are coming out with cards. I wonder if the margin of profit is more probable for those shows due to a lower license/production cost and an assumed "base" sell amount by hardcore fans?
hellojeffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 03:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
BMC
Banned

Harris' autos are hot, and there's no doubt about it. Part of it is probably from his Dr. Horrible stint -- it put him on the Whedon fanbus' radar.

Cobie's autograph is $200, because it's an Avengers autograph -- combining the Marvel comic fandom with the Whedon fandom. It may also be her only autograph.

Same with Hannigan. Her only autograph is uber-expensive, because it's from an early Buffy set -- Whedon, again. And the huge Buffy fandom.
BMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:48 PM   #10 (permalink)

Coming from a nerd that works as a bench chemist with a bunch of other nerds... I think show has the right amount of nerd appeal. All the nerds I know love it, and I know a lot of nerds. More so, as has been pointed out, I think much riskier licenses have been picked up for trading card sets. If the chase sets were done right, sealed boxes could shoot up in price real quick. NPH autos will obviously be highly sought after. Alyson Hannigan has a huge following from being in American Pie, Buffy and Angel (on top of HIMYM). Jason Segal isn't exactly a slouch when it comes to popularity with the nerd crowd either. It would just have to be done right.
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote