Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2013, 11:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Did you buy insects for pc/or for resale?

I would like to know how many people are buying Viceroy Insects for collecting the Artist/Genre for PC. And how many are buying strictly for resell. Or is it a mix of both.
I personally missed cases of Space,but I did I purchase a few boxes,strictly was for PC. I even had 5 Artist proofs done.I thought Carnival would be a good product for resell (which is something I never do,99% of my collecting is for PC tho I do sell extras) But the market for Carnival appears to me,to be a huge number of cards are for sale. And not a lot of PC collecting going on. What do you guys think?
spacefanmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

All of my Viceroy purchases are for the PC. The only sketch I've let go was to trade for one I had wanted since I saw the previews. I buy 3 packs of every Viceroy product, then I'll pick up a few less expensive sketches as I can afford them, and work on completing the insert/base sets.

I am a network admin. If you see me laughing, pray you have a recent backup.
Deathgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:39 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathgate View Post
All of my Viceroy purchases are for the PC. The only sketch I've let go was to trade for one I had wanted since I saw the previews. I buy 3 packs of every Viceroy product, then I'll pick up a few less expensive sketches as I can afford them, and work on completing the insert/base sets.
That sounds like a sound strategy,similar to what I did for space. And of my a carnival there were 2/3 sketches I really liked. But I had to buy a case to get them( or Mabey 3 boxes would have netted me something I liked) good advice Thanks :-) time to go order me up a few boxes of Insecta
Old 07-17-2013, 12:01 AM   #4 (permalink)

So far, I've really liked every sketch I've pulled. I have picked up a couple of sketches off of eBay from Cryptids and Space! that I might have been less than ecstatic about if I had pulled them from a pack, but at the price I got them for, I was very happy with them.

One of the reasons I buy the packs, besides the fun of not knowing what I'm going to get, is for the chance of pulling a sketch from an artist that I couldn't afford to buy straight up, like the Glebes, Hall, etc.

I am a network admin. If you see me laughing, pray you have a recent backup.
Deathgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:00 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
So far, I've really liked every sketch I've pulled. I have picked up a couple of sketches off of eBay from Cryptids and Space! that I might have been less than ecstatic about if I had pulled them from a pack, but at the price I got them for, I was very happy with them.

One of the reasons I buy the packs, besides the fun of not knowing what I'm going to get, is for the chance of pulling a sketch from an artist that I couldn't afford to buy straight up, like the Glebes, Hall, etc.
I think the quality of art was much better on Carnival than space. I thought all ten cards I got in my case had great art. I saw some space cards that weren't up to the same standards. Mabey Carnival was just more up there alley. Anyway I got some very nice stuff in Carnival. And in space. I hoarded up all the D Curd sculptures. And had an artist named David Rabbitte do 3 AP's for me that blew me away.
Old 07-17-2013, 01:41 AM   #6 (permalink)

Agree the quality of art looks to be much better in Carnival then in Space. Probably just a lot more easier subjects to draw with Carnival.

Only buying a box so far with Insectae and will do the same for The Deep. Just because I am a big fan of Viceroy. They just going to the PC. If I buy any extras it will just be from people selling sketches. Spent a lot on Carnival so far.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:43 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacefanmick View Post
I would like to know how many people are buying Viceroy Insects for collecting the Artist/Genre for PC. And how many are buying strictly for resell. Or is it a mix of both.
I personally missed cases of Space,but I did I purchase a few boxes,strictly was for PC. I even had 5 Artist proofs done.I thought Carnival would be a good product for resell (which is something I never do,99% of my collecting is for PC tho I do sell extras) But the market for Carnival appears to me,to be a huge number of cards are for sale. And not a lot of PC collecting going on. What do you guys think?
I bought three cases of each Space! and Carnival with the intent of keeping them entirely as a PC. I traded one Space! sketch for another Space! sketch but other than that, I'm the guy keeping the Space! sketches price up on ebay :-)

Carnival, my intent was to keep them in my collection. I didn't hit any of my favorite artists (really really wanted a Kezele) and, well, I might start up a sell thread. If I wasn't going on vacation for a week, I'd have done it already.

I think what I'm going to do with Insectae is develop a list of my Carnival and Space! sketches that I'm willing to trade and trade for Insectae.

I don't see Kezele on Insectae or The Deep so I will probably not bust those two products. (sorry!)

If you're ever interested in trading with me, SFM, I have acquired an artist proof sculpture from Curd (not pack inserted) that I might be willing to part with for the right stuff.
eldavojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:56 AM   #8 (permalink)

I'm not getting Insectae because mainly I am afraid of them (IRL)
I'll squish them no problem, but not a fan of bugs.
But I'm getting a case of Deep to sit on. And will use some self reflecting hours on the weekend I receive it to decide if I want to bust or sell.

99% sure I'm going to bust and for PC
hellojeffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:12 AM   #9 (permalink)

I'm hoping to PC some of my 2 cases...plan on getting 2 cases of The Deep as well. I am gonna keep the ones that I like, that are more my style, and sell/trade the rest. The Deep will probably get a display over my new reef tank once I get one, and Insects...well...I like bugs, and am excited to see what the sketch community comes up with...hoping for some nice Robber Flies!!

Old 07-17-2013, 11:18 AM   #10 (permalink)

I like insects but I'm pretty particular of which ones I like

I'd hate to get an aphid or a thrip so I'm setting aside some cash and just buying up afterward.

I hate to get all technical on you, Mystafet, but that bottom left one ... that is not a member of Insecta ... try Arachnida hahahah
eldavojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:30 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldavojohn View Post
I like insects but I'm pretty particular of which ones I like

I'd hate to get an aphid or a thrip so I'm setting aside some cash and just buying up afterward.

I hate to get all technical on you, Mystafet, but that bottom left one ... that is not a member of Insecta ... try Arachnida hahahah
bah, silly technicalities...I hate spiders anyways, only like them if I have a camera with me...so I can do without the spiders :-)
Old 07-17-2013, 03:01 PM   #12 (permalink)

I was actually wondering that myself- Are spiders allowed in the set, or are they the Clowns of Insectae? I assumed a scientific exception would be made for them. They'd make great sketches.
Magickyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:14 PM   #13 (permalink)

I got to 2 cases to rip and flip. If a sketch blows me away I will keep it but most likely will sell everything. I've made a nice profit on all of the Viceroy products and I hope it continues
edclay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:18 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magickyak View Post
I was actually wondering that myself- Are spiders allowed in the set, or are they the Clowns of Insectae? I assumed a scientific exception would be made for them. They'd make great sketches.
Lol,the clowns of Insectae. That's funny:-)
Old 07-17-2013, 06:09 PM   #15 (permalink)

On topic though- I buy cases in the hopes that I can select 2-3 of my favorite sketches from the case (Or none I suppose, if I don't like any of them. But that's unlikely.) and then sell the remaining sketches and inserts for as close to the case price as I can get. Even if I can only get $200 or so for the remaining sketches, that's paying just $70 for 3 sketches which are likely worth a lot more than $70 since they're choice picks. I actually kinda hope for high end sketches of artists I don't PC to make an easy sale over high end cards I really really like.
Magickyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:39 PM   #16 (permalink)

I really hate bugs,but you guys about have me talked into this release;-)
Old 07-17-2013, 07:03 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
For these types of releases, its usually a good value to buy sealed product if you can get it at price (i.e., the value of what you break is more than what you spent, even if you are not selling). The statement you made is the ONLY reason to bust wax of any mass release (i.e., Marvel, Star Wars).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magickyak View Post
If that exception is made, it will be the opposite of scientific. Personally I would love spiders and centipedes in the set. They are the kings of their tiny universe! But if Viceroy wanted it to be open to all creepy crawlies I don't think they would have called it INSECTEA. I could be wrong though. I'm also not certain artists will realize unless they are specifically instructed not the draw those things.

And to get on point... I didn't buy. But if I did, it would have been for PC although I always try to sell/trade things I'm not interested in keeping for my PC.
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote