Blowout Cards Forums
Metro Sports Cards

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2013, 08:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Default magic the gathering 2014 question

i just need to know something from you guys here and that is

i got a magic the gathering 2014 core booster box from my bro for a bday gift but i have not played this for a wile now and whould rather have baseball or football cards instead. so i took it over to a shop here in town that deals in this type of stuff but once he saw that it was the now mtg stuff he quickly started acting like a cop asking lots of questions like i was a crook he claims that per wotc rules that no dealers can buy boxes of mtg cards from the costamers.and here is the crepy thing as i was leaving the store he was standing inside the store watching me go to my car he was doing somethig on his phone but not sure what.

so i got this box and just want to find out would it be worth more if i just rip the box and sele/trade the cards that way or is it worth more if left sealed and try to sell/trade it that way??

thanks for any help guys
ultraray619a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
BMC
Banned

1) For God's sake, learn to spell.

2) Very few Magic cards are worth anything. In the current sets, even most of the rares and mythic rares aren't worth that much. Fifty cents to a couple of bucks. There are always a few cards in every set worth a good bit ... M2014 has a couple of $20 cards, and a couple of $35-ish cards. You'd probably get more for the box on eBay.
BMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMC View Post
1) For God's sake, learn to spell.

2) Very few Magic cards are worth anything. In the current sets, even most of the rares and mythic rares aren't worth that much. Fifty cents to a couple of bucks. There are always a few cards in every set worth a good bit ... M2014 has a couple of $20 cards, and a couple of $35-ish cards. You'd probably get more for the box on eBay.
1) lol

2) thanks
ultraray619a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:59 PM   #4 (permalink)

I agree - just sell the whole sealed box. You *might* be able to get more, but the majority of the box is throw-away (commons and uncommons) and only a few cards will actually go towards recouping costs.

And as far as I know, there's nothing preventing a store owner from buying product from whoever they want, be them official distributors or otherwise.
bmemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:08 PM   #5 (permalink)

WOTC does have a policy that stores can only buy new products (less than 2 years old) from authorized distributors or from WOTC directly. So the guy probably thought that you were running a sting operation to get him in trouble with WOTC. The other issue is that the street date of this set is today, so it probably seemed even stranger that you were trying to sell a brand new product. Quite possible that he thought you were selling stolen merchandise as well...
aggie4ever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 08:20 PM   #6 (permalink)

Def sell the sealed box if looking to get the most value, b/c unless you get a couple of the valuable mythic-rares base or foil versions or perhaps a mutavault rare land foil, there's probably very little else that will bring over 10 bucks.
terkhorn0069 is offline   Reply With Quote