Blowout Cards Forums
eBay Front Page (card ed)

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2013, 03:27 PM   #126 (permalink)

I opened 4 boxes today, got 3 Prisms and 2 golds. Was able to build 1 base set, and 1 lost GPK set.
Old 08-15-2013, 03:40 PM   #127 (permalink)
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndySportsCards View Post
I opened 4 boxes today, got 3 Prisms and 2 golds. Was able to build 1 base set, and 1 lost GPK set.
that's really good for four boxes. you beat the odds big time actually.
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 03:43 PM   #128 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
that's really good for four boxes. you beat the odds big time actually.
Thanks Tim. Looking at some of the case breaks, I agree, I did pretty well. I have a few more boxes, not sure if I'm gonna open them yet.

I did see 3 cases sitting there for somebody
Old 08-15-2013, 08:19 PM   #129 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
amazing how "sellers" panic so fast. this is a really nice-looking set and not your typical card stock - wow....
Its true. I can understand... As a collector, I just want to sell the stuff off as quick as I can to put some money in the PayPal account for other stuff (usually APs in my case), BUT... I was really annoyed at how quickly people dropped the price of BNS2 sets under $10. I'm not giving them away! I haven't sold a single IM3 base set. For $5, it just isn't worth the effort. I'll let them sit in a box collecting dust for 20 years... Or give them away to kids for them to play with.

Anyway... Back to GPK. What I saw for BNS2 was that after about 2 weeks once all those undercutters sold out the price went back up a couple dollars and that is when I sold most of mine for around $15-$18. Not as much as I got for BNS1, but I cleared at least $12 after shipping and fees. I guess what I'm saying is that I'd hold off on selling sets over dealing with dropping prices like crazy. I'd expect to get at least $35 a set - sell 8 from a case and that will cover about 1/3 of the case cost after fees. If you can get more, thats great.
Spider-Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:58 PM   #130 (permalink)

I don't know how you guys do it. The sell prices on this stuff is literally "garbage". For anyone that is ripping and flipping this stuff, you have pretty much a zero percent chance of making money.

Most Gold's are $20 sales at best and Prism's are about $10. Base sets sell for about $30 delivered and the plates and autographs are in the tank already.

I got my case for $700, got an auto and a plate along with the other stuff and will still lose half my money.
solt0131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 10:29 PM   #131 (permalink)

I ripped a case and had an absolute blast. Not about the money for me on this one. All about the nostalgia trip Cards look amazing too.
Ty Hope is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 10:32 PM   #132 (permalink)

For me... I'm not a dealer and I don't rip just to flip. I'm a collector, but I sell off most of what I don't want/need to minimize my costs. It would probably be cheaper for me to just buy sets and singles, but I enjoy busting the packs and always hope for a big hit I want for my PC but would never spend the money on. A big part of it is patience, which most people just don't seem to have.

BNS1 - I spent $406.16 which included a hobby case, some retail (bonus boxes) and a couple singles from eBay that I needed to complete my mini master set. I kept a mini master set (base, inserts, bonus) and the sketch I pulled from my hobby case. After selling all my parallels, extra base and inserts, and duplicate inserts my total costs after shipping and fees came out to $137.03.

BNS2 - I spent $830.30 which included a hobby case and a significant amount of retail (bonus boxes and fat packs) plus I overpaid for a pair of bonus cards I needed. After keeping my mini master and two sketches I pulled (1 hobby even though most cases had 2, the other came from a retail fat pack), my total investment ended up costing me only $124.18. No plates again, and I'm still sitting on a gold card I can't get $20 for.

I didn't make any money, but I didn't spend much either and I had a great time collecting both of those sets. Very happy with the results, even though both my hobby cases were sort of duds compared to most of the breaks I saw. If I had hit a plate in either hobby box, I could have gotten my costs down to well under $50, which would have been SPECTACULAR. Anyway, I'm really looking forward to BNS3, and am seriously considering going in for 2 hobby cases this time.

For Chrome, I just didn't see it happening. At a $780ish case price tag, plus buying retail for the retail exclusives... I didn't see being able to recoup $600+ of that cost unless I got lucky and hit something big. That is why I decided to take a chance on the group break and pass on a case. I'll check the sales this weekend though, and if it looks promising I can always pick one up and have it busted, sorted, and listed by next weekend.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:16 PM   #133 (permalink)
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndySportsCards View Post
Thanks Tim. Looking at some of the case breaks, I agree, I did pretty well. I have a few more boxes, not sure if I'm gonna open them yet.

I did see 3 cases sitting there for somebody
hahaha - let me know if you get a "c", a plate or a superfractor so I know what to do.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:58 AM   #134 (permalink)

Sorry, I don't buy the patience aspect at all. You can sit on your cards and wait and there will be a few that will surprise you and you'll get a decent amount more for them, but all it will do is cancel out the falling sale prices on everything else and it will all average itself out in the end.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:43 AM   #135 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by solt0131 View Post
I don't know how you guys do it. The sell prices on this stuff is literally "garbage". For anyone that is ripping and flipping this stuff, you have pretty much a zero percent chance of making money.

Most Gold's are $20 sales at best and Prism's are about $10. Base sets sell for about $30 delivered and the plates and autographs are in the tank already.

I got my case for $700, got an auto and a plate along with the other stuff and will still lose half my money.
Speak for yourself then. I have already sold 15 sets between $38-$60(initial sales were high until the bigger breakers started lowering the prices, which makes no sense because people were readily paying).

Also sold many over singles for good money.

I project at least $1000 off the base sets alone from the 4 cases I busted.

I also made 2 masters sets as well as an additional pencil sketch set which already sold for $102+ shipping.

That still leaves the two C cards, Two autos and multitudes of prisms and golds as well as remaining refractors and pencil sketches which can sell for $2 a card.
Old 08-16-2013, 03:13 PM   #136 (permalink)

Quote:
Sorry, I don't buy the patience aspect at all. You can sit on your cards and wait and there will be a few that will surprise you and you'll get a decent amount more for them, but all it will do is cancel out the falling sale prices on everything else and it will all average itself out in the end.
To each his own. You can sell off everything for a huge loss, it really doesn't bother me. Hell... As a collector I LOVE it

There is a difference between foolishly sitting on things for several months and being so impatient that you feel you must sell everything at 24hr auction on release day. If the merch doesn't hold its value for a couple of weeks, you were screwed from the start anyway. Stuff still hasn't hit retail in my area (stopped at 3 Targets on my way home from work today) - A lot of people probably don't even know this set exists yet.
Old 08-16-2013, 03:16 PM   #137 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrbeaz View Post
Speak for yourself then. I have already sold 15 sets between $38-$60(initial sales were high until the bigger breakers started lowering the prices, which makes no sense because people were readily paying).

Also sold many over singles for good money.

I project at least $1000 off the base sets alone from the 4 cases I busted.

I also made 2 masters sets as well as an additional pencil sketch set which already sold for $102+ shipping.

That still leaves the two C cards, Two autos and multitudes of prisms and golds as well as remaining refractors and pencil sketches which can sell for $2 a card.
That's not bad then, but if you're into each case at say $660 each and you got $1,000 for the base, you still have $1640 left just to break even. Assuming you want to make money, say after fees, how much is the rest going to sell for? (net)
Old 08-16-2013, 03:31 PM   #138 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
To each his own. You can sell off everything for a huge loss, it really doesn't bother me. Hell... As a collector I LOVE it

There is a difference between foolishly sitting on things for several months and being so impatient that you feel you must sell everything at 24hr auction on release day. If the merch doesn't hold its value for a couple of weeks, you were screwed from the start anyway. Stuff still hasn't hit retail in my area (stopped at 3 Targets on my way home from work today) - A lot of people probably don't even know this set exists yet.
This.. I am going to be patient on the golds and prisms... I know they will go up, completists will come around and want to make sets of this.

The reason so many lose so much on case breaks(regardless of sport or non-sport) is they think they have to fire sale it all right away.

The other day I had an insert from a 2013 Baseball release sell for $11... when the product had first hit people were blowing it out at $2.99 bins... now that it has dried up people who are building sets need them and nobody is breaking in large quantities there isn't any out there like there was. I have no problem waiting out the flood.
Old 08-16-2013, 04:04 PM   #139 (permalink)
Tim

Quote:
This.. I am going to be patient on the golds and prisms... I know they will go up, completists will come around and want to make sets of this.

The reason so many lose so much on case breaks(regardless of sport or non-sport) is they think they have to fire sale it all right away.

The other day I had an insert from a 2013 Baseball release sell for $11... when the product had first hit people were blowing it out at $2.99 bins... now that it has dried up people who are building sets need them and nobody is breaking in large quantities there isn't any out there like there was. I have no problem waiting out the flood.
complete agreement - this one will have legs if we are patient. i will wait it out too - no way should golds be at $30 let me tell you.
Old 08-16-2013, 04:09 PM   #140 (permalink)

Quote:

+2. Carr and I see this in comic flippin all the time! I think the kids firesale due to cashflow, and having to recoup as fast as possible. But this is a mistake most times imo (and of course on certain releases).

I'm just getting around to selling my patches from last year's Star Wars GF. Let me tell you, I'm getting $50 and $100 for items that sold quickly for $5-10!!!! I cannot believe how much these have risen.
Cujobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 04:14 PM   #141 (permalink)

Quote:
That's not bad then, but if you're into each case at say $660 each and you got $1,000 for the base, you still have $1640 left just to break even. Assuming you want to make money, say after fees, how much is the rest going to sell for? (net)
If he covered $1000/$2700 on base sets, he is pretty much guaranteed to finish well in the green if he is selling everything. Mini master sets and parallel cards sell pretty well for GPK over the first couple of weeks. If he is keeping hits and a mini-master for his PC, I'm sure he's thrilled to have covered 37% of his costs with duplicate base sets.

And if I knew cases were available at $660, I may have approached this release differently. I didn't see anything for less than $760, not that I looked crazy hard.
Old 08-16-2013, 05:38 PM   #142 (permalink)

Quote:
If he covered $1000/$2700 on base sets, he is pretty much guaranteed to finish well in the green if he is selling everything. Mini master sets and parallel cards sell pretty well for GPK over the first couple of weeks. If he is keeping hits and a mini-master for his PC, I'm sure he's thrilled to have covered 37% of his costs with duplicate base sets.

And if I knew cases were available at $660, I may have approached this release differently. I didn't see anything for less than $760, not that I looked crazy hard.
$660 is near dead cost of that. Unless you are a shop that is direct with Topps you won't see that price. I got my cases for $720 each which I feel is pretty good for somebody without a store front.
Old 08-16-2013, 05:50 PM   #143 (permalink)

Quote:
if I knew cases were available at $660, I may have approached this release differently.
distributor pricing was just over 680. where could you have gotten them at 660, some ebay seller that wouldnt have followed thru?
festus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 06:16 PM   #144 (permalink)

I got my case from my distributer for 685.00.
edclay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 06:42 PM   #145 (permalink)

I was at $696 delivered.
Igman7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 07:35 PM   #146 (permalink)

You guys have altruistic distributors.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:35 PM   #147 (permalink)

I was solicited at 680dlvd as well, but didn't know anything bout these.
Cujobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 07:37 PM   #148 (permalink)

Finally getting my hands on a couple packs ($4 each at my LCS), I totally see all the hype about the Chrome cards. They are quite spectacular. I have to say, I also really like the Pencil Art parallel set. I'm not usually a fan of the GPK parallel sets (yay, a different color boarder!) but these are very cool. The Atomic parallel set cards I've seen on eBay look pretty cool and distinct also. I'm already wanting to make both of those parallel sets after opening just 6 packs. (no... didn't hit any prisms, golds, etc in my mini break)
Old 08-16-2013, 08:07 PM   #149 (permalink)

I bought some retail thinking I was going to get the atomics, mine didn't have it, they just had the lost set as the extra pack cards, I wanted to do the atomic set, I guess I need to try walmart? not sure which store has the atomics. I really like the cards nostalgia wise, they are just a cool set, not really too focused on money. I'd have to be trying for a chase card in a case if it was about money I think.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:31 PM   #150 (permalink)

Fun break so far..... 3 boxes in.... Had to stop and put this one on Ebay for Fun!!
Attached Thumbnails
Garbage Pail Kids Chrome-bryan.jpg  
Kodiak10 is offline   Reply With Quote