Blowout Cards Forums

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2013, 09:51 AM   #26 (permalink)

CZE is just as bad at their pricing. On their site they sell the Comic Series 2 boxes for $84.00. You cannot even get rid of them for $50.00 on eBay right now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by t2554 View Post
Could that be why Blowout wasn't selected as an authorized online dealer? And did I just go there? lol

The next question to ask is will there be limits on pre-orders so these re-sellers can't buy up all the product themselves and price out many of the real collectors with insane markup (as with the first two sets to an extent)?
yorkbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:52 AM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by t2554 View Post
Could that be why Blowout wasn't selected as an authorized online dealer? And did I just go there? lol

The next question to ask is will there be limits on pre-orders so these re-sellers can't buy up all the product themselves and price out many of the real collectors with insane markup (as with the first two sets to an extent)?
I remember people on the Season Two thread saying that they were buying a dozen, if not more, cases of it just to sit on or resell. When Cryptozoic says they want the product to remain collectible I take it as they are going to be placing order limits on both products to help ensure that collectors can get it at a decent price. I know a lot of people are upset over these policies but I think it's in the best interest of the collector which seems to be who they are interested in. I also see no issue with two releases as they are not forcing you to buy or collect all of both sets. To me, they are doing this to give the fans a wide array of autographs, as well as wardrobe cards and the possibility of prop cards. If you don't want to shell out the money for cases of both products, just save your money and get the singles you want.
Brobocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:55 AM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkbag View Post
CZE is just as bad at their pricing. On their site they sell the Comic Series 2 boxes for $84.00. You cannot even get rid of them for $50.00 on eBay right now...
Every card company seems to do that. Panini does it with most of their products as well. Selling it a lower price than MSRP could be interpreted that the company is admitting it was somewhat of a failure which most companies do not want to admit. On the flip side, Cryptozic also sold boxes of both Walking Dead Season Two and Big Bang Theory Seasons 3 & 4 for $84.00. A lot of people got a pretty good deal on those two, can't see how anyone could complain about that type of price.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:17 PM   #29 (permalink)

I hope there's a limit to the point where people aren't buying them to break a few and have more to just to sit on them for price to go up. But if you can get your hands on a few and flip, all the power to you. I just want to be able to get some at a good price, and have the cards have great value.

I'm looking to get 1 case, maybe 2, for PC..so if you or anyone you know will be selling for a good price, you're more than welcome to shoot me a pm!
CAS239 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:33 PM   #30 (permalink)

Are orders even being taken at the moment? My supplier hasn't said anything as of yet.
yorkbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:18 PM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brobocop View Post
Every card company seems to do that. Panini does it with most of their products as well. Selling it a lower price than MSRP could be interpreted that the company is admitting it was somewhat of a failure which most companies do not want to admit. On the flip side, Cryptozic also sold boxes of both Walking Dead Season Two and Big Bang Theory Seasons 3 & 4 for $84.00. A lot of people got a pretty good deal on those two, can't see how anyone could complain about that type of price.
Additionally, my understanding from speaking with some of the reps from these companies is that there are contractual agreements between the company and the retailers/distributors that limit the company's ability to direct sale below certain price points, preventing the company from undercutting the retailers/distributors pricing. I can't speak specifically for Crytpozoic, but I've been lead to believe that this is pretty common across the industry.
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 01:18 AM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
A lot of people want their cake and eat it too!
hannahs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:36 AM   #33 (permalink)

I have not heard anything about orders for this yet either.

I am scared to see Blowouts handling of this years two part release...flashbacks of the Season 2 release...EEK!

Look for higher prices this year and more lies to customers about product availability.

Last edited by SerialKilnWalkr; 08-08-2013 at 08:45 AM.
SerialKilnWalkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:10 AM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerialKilnWalkr View Post
I have not heard anything about orders for this yet either.

I am scared to see Blowouts handling of this years two part release...flashbacks of the Season 2 release...EEK!

Look for higher prices this year and more lies to customers about product availability.
I don't think Blowout is cleared to sell this since they weren't one of the authorized online retailers Cryptozoic announced a few months ago. A lot of people think that this gives these few online sites all this power to just jack up prices. I tend to think the opposite, I think Cryptozoic choose these sites because they supported Cryptozoic before and have been fairly honest when offering their products. A certain Blowout competitor was taking preorders on Walking Dead Season Two a few months before Blowout and was doing so closer to the MSRP of roughly $84 a box.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:02 AM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
I don't think Blowout is cleared to sell this since they weren't one of the authorized online retailers Cryptozoic announced a few months ago. A lot of people think that this gives these few online sites all this power to just jack up prices. I tend to think the opposite, I think Cryptozoic choose these sites because they supported Cryptozoic before and have been fairly honest when offering their products. A certain Blowout competitor was taking preorders on Walking Dead Season Two a few months before Blowout and was doing so closer to the MSRP of roughly $84 a box.
I agree, that's why I took that jab at Blowout in my post above. All someone has to do is go through that Season 2 thread to find out how that company handled it and how Blowout handled it. I'd certainly say that had something to do with Blowout not being listed and hopefully makes their chosen retailers think twice about doing something similar.
t2554 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 05:49 PM   #36 (permalink)

It is easy enough to get around the "authorized online dealer" rules... at least it is for Upper Deck. You basically just can't make it available to order through your website, but you can still let people know you have it available for purchase at your physical location and back door the sales that way. I'm sure plenty of people will buy from BO regardless of their "authorized online dealer" status. For many, it will be the only way they know how to get the product and they will pay what they think they must.

BO is not an authorized UD retailer and you can find Marvel Fleer Retro right now with a message to contact them directly for purchase information.
Old 08-09-2013, 06:38 AM   #37 (permalink)

does anybody knows if Hines Ward is in this autograph set as well. This would be fantastic !!!
UD Legends '97: 102/168
Busstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:09 AM   #38 (permalink)

I just hope to get both series base sets at a reasonable price!

Doug
Old 08-09-2013, 11:49 AM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
It is easy enough to get around the "authorized online dealer" rules... at least it is for Upper Deck. You basically just can't make it available to order through your website, but you can still let people know you have it available for purchase at your physical location and back door the sales that way. I'm sure plenty of people will buy from BO regardless of their "authorized online dealer" status. For many, it will be the only way they know how to get the product and they will pay what they think they must.

BO is not an authorized UD retailer and you can find Marvel Fleer Retro right now with a message to contact them directly for purchase information.
Well, I think the only way you can buy new UD products from BO is to go to their physical store, or to have it broken on BO tv (since it's being broken at their store). As far as I know, you cannot buy sealed boxes or cases from BO and have them shipped to you.
aggie4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 01:12 PM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie4ever View Post
Well, I think the only way you can buy new UD products from BO is to go to their physical store, or to have it broken on BO tv (since it's being broken at their store). As far as I know, you cannot buy sealed boxes or cases from BO and have them shipped to you.
BO basically posts all their stuff on eBay, so I'm sure if you can't buy it directly off their site, you'd be able to get it off their eBay name

Football Boxes, Baseball Boxes items in BLOWOUT CARDS store on eBay!
Old 08-09-2013, 03:09 PM   #41 (permalink)

Not being an authorized dealer has rarely stopped any product being from being sold in ways the manufacturer doesnt agree with. As long as there are rules people will find ways around them. I dont really see Blowout just passing up on TWD cards because its "against the rules" since these things are basically a guaranteed cash cow. As they did with the other releases they can put whatever crazy price they want on them and someone will end up paying it.
kapz01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 03:39 PM   #42 (permalink)

Hi Folks,
Blowout is still allowed to order and sell product, the only thing that has changed is who they buy it from.
The recent changes have essentially moved a lot of the order fulfillment obligations to small group of distributors. We will be working with them to make sure dealers and other wholesalers place orders for the products they want to carry.
We were getting a lot of requests to order directly from us, and it was something we just didn't have the resources to handle. So, by "outsourcing," for lack of a better word, sales, processing, and shipping of products, we were able to allow a lot of dealers to start ordering "directly." We are still a very small company, and Rumi (our amazing business coordinator) was completely overwhelmed with the quantity of orders to try to process, collect payment on, and communicate shipping strategy to printers for every release (think trading cards, games, and WoW TCG). By moving these responsibilities on to a select group of distributors, we freed up a lot of internal resources to refocus on avenues that help build better products for consumers.
There is a very select group of "authorized online dealers," who still order through us, but we work very closely with them to make sure prices are reasonable, and they get a fair proportion of the allocated products. But, this term carries very little weight, and was never intended to restrict those who can use the internet to sell to the community. It is just done to communicate those that buy direct.
That being said, I am seeing some adjustment issues as we go into the Psych and Women of Legend release, and I plan on dedicating a lot of my time after Gen Con to evaluate the process, identify issues, and work with our partners to fix failures before they can impact consumers too much.

As to the prices on our website, yes, we sell at MSRP. This might work our super well for you for some of the hotter properties, and not interest you for some of the slower ones. Either way, we will sell at MSRP. Buy, don't buy, it doesn't really matter. We offer it as a system to provide product to those who might not be able to find it elsewhere, or don't want to risk buying stuff of eBay and hope it wasn't tampered with. This isn't to say that we aren't in touch with what the secondary value of our products are. We very much are. But, we won't deviate from MSRP as a courtesy to the folks that sell our products. Now, I might try to put a few things on sale on the eStore, but this is super few and far between. I am also looking at a few very limited SKUs that would be difficult to build a case price model for, meaning super expensive, and would surely run rampant on the secondary market if they were primarily sold to distributors. In those, also very rare occasions, I am looking at offering something exclusively on our eStore. But, we will see if that ever even comes to fruition.

Splitting the season into two parts was something we weighed very heavily on for months. If you are wondering why it took us so long to release information, now you know. I wanted to make sure this was something we were entirely committed to, and were sure was the right thing for consumers, before we finalized. And, in the end, I am entirely convinced the two sets, when considered as a whole, will create a better Season 3 collectible set. More characters, more scenes, more depth, more breadth, more autographs, more wardrobe, more props, and more opportunities to deliver good content and hits.
Splitting the characters up and covering the season based on the perspectives of the characters from the Prison and from Woodbury is sort of a tough thing to approach, and making sure it was something we could pull off was also part of the delay. But, we have 3 people working on designing and developing the base and chase (the 9-card sets) for the two parts all at once, with the sole purpose of creating a great product for fans. Yes, there will be a lot of repeat signers for the first set, but our goal is to deliver new content for these repeat signers to keep it interesting.

And, from my lounge chair in the Caribbean, mimosa in hand, that is about all I can remember from the thread that I wanted to address. I will be at Gen Con next week, in case that is something on your radar. Stop by and say hello if you attend, otherwise look for another blog post and lots of product pages going live when I return.
Miranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 04:18 PM   #43 (permalink)

Thanks Miranda. Enjoy the rest of your vacation

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie4ever View Post
There is a store I buy UD products from. They are an authorized UD retailer, but not for selling online so they do not have any of the products advertised on their website or available to buy through their website for the first 3 months (or whatever the rule is). I call them for a price, they run my credit card, and they ship my stuff. I didn't buy it online, technically, I guess. I've never tried, but always assumed if I contacted BO directly that they would do the same.
Old 08-10-2013, 04:23 PM   #44 (permalink)

"I am also looking at a few very limited SKUs that would be difficult to build a case price model for, meaning super expensive, and would surely run rampant on the secondary market if they were primarily sold to distributors."

By this quote, do you mean the estore may in fact sell a full case of The Walking Dead Season 3? I wouldn't be one to resell, looking to put together my own collection first like many on here and if I understand it correctly, that would be awesome.

Also, did you just confirm that there will be PROP cards in Season 3? I sure hope so! Can you say a limited run of Governor Eye Patch cards?

In either case, love reading updates regarding this set. Hopefully Cryptozoic will have preview images VERY soon! :-)
icancu202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 06:27 PM   #45 (permalink)

I'm really glad it's broken up into two parts. And really glad to see Miranda post again! Also can't wait to see what props are used.

Can't wait for this to drop and I'm hoping I can get 2 cases at msrp price for a personal collection.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:30 PM   #46 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by icancu202 View Post
"I am also looking at a few very limited SKUs that would be difficult to build a case price model for, meaning super expensive, and would surely run rampant on the secondary market if they were primarily sold to distributors."

By this quote, do you mean the estore may in fact sell a full case of The Walking Dead Season 3?
I'm pretty sure Miranda is talking about products that would be super limited that they couldn't make into regular trading card sets sold by the case.

I have no idea what kind of things that would be, but imagine it could be something like a WD cast signed 8x10 photo. Or a limited edition jumbo booklet card signed by all of the main WD case. Something along those lines.
Old 08-11-2013, 12:15 AM   #47 (permalink)

Miranda, if you read this, I hope you guys can do something to stop or cut down all the price gouging that happens with these cards upon release.
Old 08-11-2013, 12:17 AM   #48 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapz01 View Post
Miranda, if you read this, I hope you guys can do something to stop or cut down all the price gouging that happens with these cards upon release.
Lol

The product is hot, in demand, and sells out quickly. Get in early, or you have to deal with higher and higher prices.
Nicnac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 02:06 AM   #49 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicnac View Post
Lol

The product is hot, in demand, and sells out quickly. Get in early, or you have to deal with higher and higher prices.
Yeah I know the chances of that not happening are between about 0% and 0.0001%. I dont care enough to get them to pay 5 times the MSRP price, so some greedy dealer can make 500% profit... but plenty of others will. I guess thats half the problem. I collect cards for fun, not so fun when you know youre being suckered. But hey, call me cheap, I sneak drinks into the movie theater because I refuse to pay $7 for a Coke. Not necessarily the money, its the principal.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:36 AM   #50 (permalink)

The only way they could stop the price gouging is to put less good stuff in the boxes. I don't think anyone wants them to do that though!

However, Cryptozoic does try to ensure that as many collectors as possible get a chance to buy some product at SRP by selling boxes in their online store. On WD S2, I think the second wave of boxes was up for almost a week before it sold out, so anyone following the thread on BO had ample opportunity to get 2 boxes at a great price.

Hopefully with the new distribution model, we will see better prices on WD S3 cases. Instead of pre-sells at $1400 a case, hopefully there will be at least a short window where you can get cases for around the SRP of $1000.