Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2013, 02:28 PM   #51 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie4ever View Post
The only way they could stop the price gouging is to put less good stuff in the boxes. I don't think anyone wants them to do that though!

However, Cryptozoic does try to ensure that as many collectors as possible get a chance to buy some product at SRP by selling boxes in their online store. On WD S2, I think the second wave of boxes was up for almost a week before it sold out, so anyone following the thread on BO had ample opportunity to get 2 boxes at a great price.

Hopefully with the new distribution model, we will see better prices on WD S3 cases. Instead of pre-sells at $1400 a case, hopefully there will be at least a short window where you can get cases for around the SRP of $1000.
Agreed, even Cryptozoic keeping enough stock to give real collectors an couple weeks opportunity to get a case or a few boxes at msrp would be good... then let the vultures fly.

I think even if they didnt put together that great of a set these would still go crazy due to the insane popularity of the show. Seems like you could put Walking Dead on adult diapers and theyd sell out.
kapz01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 03:57 PM   #52 (permalink)

The Walking Dead Trading Cards Season 3 Part 1 | Cryptozoic Entertainment

No images yet but some product info.
icancu202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 04:48 PM   #53 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by icancu202 View Post
Does give you a clue that it appears that the prison set will be up first. Not sure if they stated that already but good to know. Any bit of information on this set is good to know at this point.
Brobocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 05:56 PM   #54 (permalink)

I hope they release more info soon!
rmizz44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 04:29 AM   #55 (permalink)

1 of my distributors, who is an authroized Cryptozoic dealer, had some info on it last week. I pre-ordered a few cases of it already. Not sure what info is out on it publicly, but I was told that Part 1 will come out 12/4, and part 2 is set up for the 1st quarter 2014. Because of the demand for the series, not sure how much I'll get, since it's going to be tightly allocated. Again, not sure what info is out, so if this is repetitive, I apologize, but thought I'd share
Tylerg30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:20 AM   #56 (permalink)

I already ordered as well, but after my case of Walking Dead Comic Series 2 was cut from 1 case to 4 boxes, I'm nervous I won't get much of this either, but we'll see. I ordered both comic and this well in time to get my orders in, but got allocated with the comic series anyway, so I don't think it matters when I order if demand is too high. We'll see, good luck to everyone.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:26 AM   #57 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Cubfan86

Good luck to anyone trying to order this.

It is just my opinion but Cryptozoic is going down the wrong path.
GTS is the ONLY licensed distributor for Crypto now!! That is just plain dumb.
I was able to get a little product from a few different places last year but now GTS is it. I have to order a case of every Crypto product to get A CASE of this or BBT.
I am wondering how they are going to distribute the rest of it.
Cutting the Wardrobes and splitting the series sounds like a cash grab to me.
Cubfan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:32 AM   #58 (permalink)

Maybe they cut out some, or most of, the zombie relics that add little to a box break? If they instead chose to focus in more on character relics and are now adding props I see no issue with that. If they were to do one big set, you'd have to buy the same amount of cards and probably spend the same amount of money. I really like that they are beefing up the base set since previous releases have been lacking certain pivotal scenes and character interactions.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:20 PM   #59 (permalink)

Yeah, it doesn't really matter how early you get orders in, if you don't want to get cut that bad, you just have to support other Crypto product. If you don't get any of the other lesser titles, you will get cut on this one too. BBT will be the same way.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:28 PM   #60 (permalink)
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubfan86 View Post
Good luck to anyone trying to order this.

It is just my opinion but Cryptozoic is going down the wrong path.
GTS is the ONLY licensed distributor for Crypto now!! That is just plain dumb.
I was able to get a little product from a few different places last year but now GTS is it. I have to order a case of every Crypto product to get A CASE of this or BBT.
I am wondering how they are going to distribute the rest of it.
Cutting the Wardrobes and splitting the series sounds like a cash grab to me.
agree 100%. not sure why people think the new plan is going to be better for collectors. less options to buy for both collectors and dealers does not make for a good formula.

and the online places chosen? ouch. hills and barrington don't respond to emails and D/A is wildly overpriced.
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:45 PM   #61 (permalink)

I agree too the whole thing is kinda goofy, I remember my Walking Dead binders were cut down for WD Comic 2. Now, you have to buy a minimum # of binders or you don't get any. Ohh, and they are more expensive.

Dealers are part to blame for this too. When a lil ol' reseller like myself is $25-30 cheaper than most other major online avenues, that's the wrong message to customers. I mean, we all want to make money, but charging $100 for a $50 box?? That's pretty absurd!
Old 08-14-2013, 12:51 PM   #62 (permalink)
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylerg30 View Post
Dealers are part to blame for this too. When a lil ol' reseller like myself is $25-30 cheaper than most other major online avenues, that's the wrong message to customers. I mean, we all want to make money, but charging $100 for a $50 box?? That's pretty absurd!
Theoretically you are right. But dealers who buy in to say - Fringe or DC or Smallville or Tarzan, etc. - are paying their $55 per box (IF they are direct with Crypto) and getting back $30 per box after fees and shipping if they are lucky because those properties are dogs. So dealers have to make it up on the better products. If a customer bought every box of Crypto at a 20% markup then I'd have no problem charging that same markup for WD, but no one is willing to do that, so there is blame to go around for everyone, including the manufacturer who makes some inferior products (like The Guild!).
Old 08-14-2013, 01:07 PM   #63 (permalink)

Yea I agree, I would kill for 20% markup on some of the other products lol. Before the merger, I tried to get direct with Crypto. After 9 months of getting the run around, I decided to give up. Now I understand why.

This whole thing reminds me a lot of Topps sports cards, making you buy a certain amount of the regular boxes (which wind up being garbage) in order to get a few jumbo boxes.

BBT is going to be worse than WD, as it already has been oversold. I guess in the end, everybody has fault in it.
Old 08-14-2013, 03:46 PM   #64 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmizz44 View Post
where would be the best places for me to preorder a case for myself. GTS only sells to stores I think.
I'm wondering the same thing. I'm looking to get a case as well
CAS239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 04:07 PM   #65 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAS239 View Post
I'm wondering the same thing. I'm looking to get a case as well
Distributors seem to only sell to vendors/retailers (at least that's what their websites say). So us, the individual collectors, are at the mercy of the distributors and the various retailers out there... I was only able to get 8-10 boxes of Season 2 from different online retailers [for a reasonable price] and I have a feeling I'll be lucky to get the same this time around.
t2554 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 04:10 PM   #66 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by t2554 View Post
Distributors seem to only sell to vendors/retailers (at least that's what their websites say). So us, the individual collectors, are at the mercy of the distributors and the various retailers out there... I was only able to get 8-10 boxes of Season 2 from different online retailers [for a reasonable price] and I have a feeling I'll be lucky to get the same this time around.
This seems like a brilliant business model, especially considering those people collectors are permitted to buy from aren't even really sure how much they will be getting.
Old 08-15-2013, 12:02 AM   #67 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymcgee View Post
This seems like a brilliant business model, especially considering those people collectors are permitted to buy from aren't even really sure how much they will be getting.
Numbers were irrelevant to my point, I understand that allocations are unknown and none of them know exactly how much product they'll get. The point I was making is that us 'outsiders' don't even get a chance to order until those 'part of the club' get theirs. There are collectors like us that aren't retailers or have any connections but are very interested in buying, and buying upfront just like them. We're just as willing to tie up our money months in advance just for a chance of getting a percent of our order fulfilled (heck, I had a $160 order placed six months in advance of release, and still only got one of the two boxes, and an $80 refund for the other box after having the money tied up for half a year - I was bummed my order was cut but was still fortunate to have a chance at one box).

I also understand that a lot of these retailers have to get in good by ordering tons of Crypto's 'lesser' products, I'm simply expressing my frustration that the average collector doesn't get much of a chance at quantity or a good price for a set like this.
t2554 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 03:37 PM   #68 (permalink)

Quote:
Numbers were irrelevant to my point, I understand that allocations are unknown and none of them know exactly how much product they'll get. The point I was making is that us 'outsiders' don't even get a chance to order until those 'part of the club' get theirs. There are collectors like us that aren't retailers or have any connections but are very interested in buying, and buying upfront just like them. We're just as willing to tie up our money months in advance just for a chance of getting a percent of our order fulfilled (heck, I had a $160 order placed six months in advance of release, and still only got one of the two boxes, and an $80 refund for the other box after having the money tied up for half a year - I was bummed my order was cut but was still fortunate to have a chance at one box).

I also understand that a lot of these retailers have to get in good by ordering tons of Crypto's 'lesser' products, I'm simply expressing my frustration that the average collector doesn't get much of a chance at quantity or a good price for a set like this.
100% agreed. I have no connections, I dont care about BBT or any other Crypto release, but I have purchased TWD since the very first release... which I bought a case of for close to what a single box goes for now (around msrp). Once that blew up it, TWD has been absurdly price gouged. I would buy a case of these easily if it was close to msrp. But real collectors have no option of buying because everyone in the magical club gets their crack at all the product then marks it up 5000%. It ends up being much cheaper to just buy singles, which isnt nearly as fun but is how I put my season two master set together for much less than a single case costed. This set I might pass on, starting to become less fun each release.

Having to support their other products you dont care about or lose money on makes no sense... you dont go to the grocery store and pick up a box of frosted flakes, and theyre like WHOOOOOA hold on there, I dont see any Grapenuts in your cart.

I guess if I do put together a master set of these its most likely going to be by buying singles again... hopefully this set doesnt have 30+ wardrobes like last one.
Old 08-15-2013, 03:39 PM   #69 (permalink)
Tim

it seems like a lot of people here need a refresher course on supply and demand.
Old 08-15-2013, 03:46 PM   #70 (permalink)

Quote:

Sorry my sarcasm about this being a brilliant business plan didn't translate.

I think it's kind of stupid to make it so difficult for people to buy cases of your product. Of course, we all understand these products are limited (and that's one reason we collect them), but it seems like this distribution process is much more complicated than it needs to be from my armchair perspective.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:14 PM   #71 (permalink)

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
it seems like a lot of people here need a refresher course on supply and demand.
Im sure youre referring to me (among others)... I know good and well about supply and demand... doesnt mean I cant bitch about it since thats all I can do about it. Also, I dont know exactly what they say, but isnt there laws in the US about price gouging? At the very least its a slap in the face to your customers.

But also doesnt help Cryptozoic in any way whatsoever for some dealer to mark up their boxes 5000% and theyre the only ones who can do anything about it. They might as well sell them direct to the public for $200 per box off the bat, not sell a single case, and go count their money and laugh. Or produce more (within reason) so that there isnt so many problems with people getting these who arent a part of the cool kids magic collector club, since boxes jumping 5xs in value doesnt help them at all.

If anything price gouging by dealers hurts them to an extent because people like me get sick of it and stop buying. Compared to many products, I doubt there is an unlimited supply of customers for non sport trading cards... I think itd be safe to say its a relatively small community... But I guess as long as people will keep paying any insane amount they ask for something, theyll keep charging it. Oh wait, isnt that supply and demand? I guess I need a refresher. With that, my rant is over.
Old 08-16-2013, 12:05 AM   #72 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapz01 View Post
Im sure youre referring to me (among others)... I know good and well about supply and demand... doesnt mean I cant bitch about it since thats all I can do about it. Also, I dont know exactly what they say, but isnt there laws in the US about price gouging? At the very least its a slap in the face to your customers.

But also doesnt help Cryptozoic in any way whatsoever for some dealer to mark up their boxes 5000% and theyre the only ones who can do anything about it. They might as well sell them direct to the public for $200 per box off the bat, not sell a single case, and go count their money and laugh. Or produce more (within reason) so that there isnt so many problems with people getting these who arent a part of the cool kids magic collector club, since boxes jumping 5xs in value doesnt help them at all.

If anything price gouging by dealers hurts them to an extent because people like me get sick of it and stop buying. Compared to many products, I doubt there is an unlimited supply of customers for non sport trading cards... I think itd be safe to say its a relatively small community... But I guess as long as people will keep paying any insane amount they ask for something, theyll keep charging it. Oh wait, isnt that supply and demand? I guess I need a refresher. With that, my rant is over.
Oy Vey, where to begin!

First: I'll probably cut/paste this reply over on the BBT thread, as the same info will apply to The Beast's comment.

Second: In no way/shape/form am I trying to defend blowout's prices, or anyone elses, but stating FACTS, which has become all too rare lately on this message board.

*The problem is not price gouging, it is simply this: everyone buying boxes/cases of cards has gotten way too used to buying product at cost.*

Simple as that really. MSRP is a standard $3.50 per pack on every Cryptozoic product folks. $84 per box. Yup. If you hit any comic shop in the U.S, unless you know the owner, get a standard discount, or the item's on sale etc it'll be $84 per box. But nowadays comic shops rarely carry non-sports cards, and it's this very reason. Too many have gotten used to buying product at cost. Instead they focus on MTG (Magic The Gathering), where people are used to paying actual MSRP on most standard releases.

What's really funny is that some of you actually think non-sports card dealers make $$ these days. HA. I talked with 2 of the top 3 non-sports dealers out there this summer at comic cons, and the consensus was this: They are wanting out. One MAJOR card dealer is pretty much done. And quite frankly, I don't blame them.

When you see Crypto cases selling for $679, exactly how much $$ do you think they are making? Nevermind the endless cases they are stuck with, because let's face it, we are a fickle bunch, are we not?

Kap actually brings up something that may happen. Imagine crypto being the only ones selling their products. What then? Then you all have to pay $84 per box whether it's Castle, Vampire Diaries, or BBT/Wd. Sure it's great for WD, but $84 per box on DC products? Probably not.
Cujobyte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 12:23 AM   #73 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujobyte View Post
Oy Vey, where to begin!

First: I'll probably cut/paste this reply over on the BBT thread, as the same info will apply to The Beast's comment.

Second: In no way/shape/form am I trying to defend blowout's prices, or anyone elses, but stating FACTS, which has become all too rare lately on this message board.

*The problem is not price gouging, it is simply this: everyone buying boxes/cases of cards has gotten way too used to buying product at cost.*

Simple as that really. MSRP is a standard $3.50 per pack on every Cryptozoic product folks. $84 per box. Yup. If you hit any comic shop in the U.S, unless you know the owner, get a standard discount, or the item's on sale etc it'll be $84 per box. But nowadays comic shops rarely carry non-sports cards, and it's this very reason. Too many have gotten used to buying product at cost. Instead they focus on MTG (Magic The Gathering), where people are used to paying actual MSRP on most standard releases.

What's really funny is that some of you actually think non-sports card dealers make $$ these days. HA. I talked with 2 of the top 3 non-sports dealers out there this summer at comic cons, and the consensus was this: They are wanting out. One MAJOR card dealer is pretty much done. And quite frankly, I don't blame them.

When you see Crypto cases selling for $679, exactly how much $$ do you think they are making? Nevermind the endless cases they are stuck with, because let's face it, we are a fickle bunch, are we not?

Kap actually brings up something that may happen. Imagine crypto being the only ones selling their products. What then? Then you all have to pay $84 per box whether it's Castle, Vampire Diaries, or BBT/Wd. Sure it's great for WD, but $84 per box on DC products? Probably not.
Here is my problem with certain retailers when dealing with Walking Dead Season Two. They didn't even allow for collector's to get in on the product at a decent price. Pre-sales were withheld until a month or two before release and were then put out at a price in the $150 range. I was also lied to in an email where a certain retailer told me that I should not expect pre-sales to go up for a week or two and then suddenly appear at the $150 price. Apparently I was not the only one who told this which burned a lot of people. And now I think it's important to note that sites are taking orders on some of the lesser known Cryptozoic products while withholding pre-sells on the hotter products (Walking Dead, BBT, and even Breaking Bad). This annoys some of us in that I'm sure a lot of people are willing to give up some cash up front now just to get a case at a reasonable price probably months from now. I think when you have a customer like that, that customer should be given a better deal than a person who puts their money up at the last possible second.

Let's be honest here, I don't think people have a problem buying Walking Dead at $100 a box, that's a great break at that price as previous releases have shown. I do have an issue with charging double the MSRP before a product releases while never giving collectors who want to put up money early a chance at the product. I know a few places where doing pre-sales early but they may not carry the authority or clout that some of the bigger sites do.

I sympathize with stores that have to carry all the other products that may not sell as hot just to have a shot at Walking Dead and Big Bang Theory. But this is no different for sports cards stores if they want hot products like National Treasures or Exquisite. I cannot begin to tell you how many cases of shoddy Panini products my LCS has laying around just so he can have a shot at getting as much of National Treasures.

It's a tough market out there, maybe we as collectors, you as a store owner, and other store owners need to stand up and say enough with all the products. Less is more sometimes. I would take a second Walking Dead set from Cryptozoic over another DC comics set. Heck, I'd say do a DC comics set but maybe try to get autographs from actors who portrayed some of these heroes and villains from both TV and movies? Make them two per case while giving a sketch per box. I think something like that would help move these products. That way, everyone is happy.

Last edited by Brobocop; 08-16-2013 at 12:25 AM.
Old 08-16-2013, 12:58 AM   #74 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brobocop View Post
Here is my problem with certain retailers when dealing with Walking Dead Season Two. They didn't even allow for collector's to get in on the product at a decent price. Pre-sales were withheld until a month or two before release and were then put out at a price in the $150 range. I was also lied to in an email where a certain retailer told me that I should not expect pre-sales to go up for a week or two and then suddenly appear at the $150 price. Apparently I was not the only one who told this which burned a lot of people. And now I think it's important to note that sites are taking orders on some of the lesser known Cryptozoic products while withholding pre-sells on the hotter products (Walking Dead, BBT, and even Breaking Bad). This annoys some of us in that I'm sure a lot of people are willing to give up some cash up front now just to get a case at a reasonable price probably months from now. I think when you have a customer like that, that customer should be given a better deal than a person who puts their money up at the last possible second.

Let's be honest here, I don't think people have a problem buying Walking Dead at $100 a box, that's a great break at that price as previous releases have shown. I do have an issue with charging double the MSRP before a product releases while never giving collectors who want to put up money early a chance at the product. I know a few places where doing pre-sales early but they may not carry the authority or clout that some of the bigger sites do.

I sympathize with stores that have to carry all the other products that may not sell as hot just to have a shot at Walking Dead and Big Bang Theory. But this is no different for sports cards stores if they want hot products like National Treasures or Exquisite. I cannot begin to tell you how many cases of shoddy Panini products my LCS has laying around just so he can have a shot at getting as much of National Treasures.

It's a tough market out there, maybe we as collectors, you as a store owner, and other store owners need to stand up and say enough with all the products. Less is more sometimes. I would take a second Walking Dead set from Cryptozoic over another DC comics set. Heck, I'd say do a DC comics set but maybe try to get autographs from actors who portrayed some of these heroes and villains from both TV and movies? Make them two per case while giving a sketch per box. I think something like that would help move these products. That way, everyone is happy.
Brobocop, part of the reason why you do not see presales on the *Hot* items is that no one really knows how much hot product they'll get!!

I warned tons and tons of people not to purchase from "Iamteacher" last year, who presold everything under the sun including WD and BBT cases. And guess what? I had angry customers contact me stating I was right, they never got their cases of WD or BBT 3/4 and ended up getting a refund. The guys (and girl ) who consistently buy from me know I can never promise anything in presale, but damned if I don't take care of them when I can. (btw I just noticed Iamteacher is no longer selling on ebay, good!)

On Blowout's behalf, I'm positive their discount has been shaved with the recent crypto changes which is the result of their cases being higher now. Remember they're not allowed to buy direct anymore.

Btw, my shop does not rely on sports nor non-sports cards for income, otherwise I would have been out of business long ago. It is also the reason why I'm not afraid to state my feelings about this matter for fear of losing customers. Without having this post deleted, I cannot go into how I take care of the customers I do have, but I offer *Reward* systems in place for *HOT* products, and I wish blowout and others would follow suite. DA does have their "premiere" which acts like this....sort of.

Last edited by Cujobyte; 08-16-2013 at 01:25 AM.
Cujobyte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:04 AM   #75 (permalink)

I can't believe this thread is still full of "this LIMITED, hot and in-demand product is too expensive for me so there is something wrong with the publisher!" comments.

No one guaranteed your right to acquire every card ever made. My Trek TNG master set... Looks like I will never acquire the DeForest Kelly autograph because last one listed on feebay was $900 BIN. I should complain toSkybox / Rittenhouse / eBay / Blowout / Kellys estate that this has made my goal impossible.

If y'all want affordable, go with one of the over-produced products of Rittenhouse. Or, go with one of the licenses of Breygent which tend to drop in value after release.

One wonders if any of you complainers picket the Ferrari store when a limited edition car is about to be released. "Horrible distribution! Too expensive! Conspiracy against poor people!"
Nicnac is offline   Reply With Quote