Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2013, 01:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Cryptozoic The Walking Dead Season Three officially announced

Looks like all the rumors of a two-part set were right. While some may see it as gouging the customer, I do like how they may include more scenes and characters in each set. As long as they avoid doing a lot of double-dipping on the signers and relics between the sets, I'm good with this. I always thought that their base card set (Season Two especially) lacked a lot of major scenes and characters. Hopefully they can rectify that with this dual release. The idea of having a prison and Woodbury set is a pretty cool idea, something different than what a lot of people expected.

The Walking Dead Season 3 Trading Cards First Look | Cryptozoic Entertainment

Last edited by Brobocop; 08-06-2013 at 01:30 PM.
Brobocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 01:30 PM   #2 (permalink)

I'm ok with this although the signers for the Woodbury release will be overshadowed by the Prison release for sure.

If they get the Governor that's awesome, but the Prison would have all the main cast plus Michehonne (if they get her to sign).
Bryanjs14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 01:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

Interesting... I just read the release on it in my FB feed. I'm hoping these are fairly easy to get... two separate releases like this though is sure to confuse stores who might pick up one and not the other.
durstlimpbizkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 01:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tim

sure hope they are not killing the golden goose here.
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:13 PM   #5 (permalink)

I think this move is a mistake but I guess we will see. I hope this cuts down the release price of boxes considering there's 2 sets now.
rmizz44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:25 PM   #6 (permalink)

I like seeing the keyword 'props' being included with wardrobe, if they are spreading this out into two sets they will need more and unique content. As someone that doesn't get to open many boxes I don't like the thought of two separate sets though, but as a fan of the show I'll buy as much as I can as I did with the first two sets.

Does it fit with the natural progression of Crypto products to expect patch autos of the main characters out of these sets?
t2554 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:29 PM   #7 (permalink)

Not a good thing. Once again, there will be a massive retail release. All of this is diluting the strength of the franchise.

Combine that with Comic Series 3, Dog Tags 2... and I'm holding my breath for Pogs.
Nicnac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:33 PM   #8 (permalink)

I like that it's broken into two parts, pretty cool as long as everything goes good. I'm hoping to get 1-2 cases of each. I'm glad to hear the first set should be out by the end of the year. Gives me a little more time to get some extra spending money.

I also love seeing props thrown in as well
CAS239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:38 PM   #9 (permalink)

At first I didn't like the idea of them possibly splitting season 3 into two sets, but I like the Prison vs. Woodbury idea. Hopefully there's lots of cool stuff and hopefully the prices will come down a little. I wonder if they will do 6-box cases like they've done a few of their releases. That would be more affordable for me. If they do 12-box cases I'll be broke for Christmas!
Danni1185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:49 PM   #10 (permalink)

I'm not sure that breaking the season into 2 sets verses 1 is a great idea. I like that Crytpozoic is trying to do something different, instead of just releasing the same old set with updated images. This is their first product to hit a 3rd release, and its nice to see they are trying to keep it fresh and exciting to collect, instead of the same old thing.

I've seen this creativity in the upcoming WoL release too. Not necessarily all things I like, but its great that they are trying new things, compared to most of thier competition.
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:57 PM   #11 (permalink)

Here's the thing, they'll probably have a fair amount of people in these sets that have signed for previous releases. BUT they'll also have plenty of people who haven't signed a card for them yet. On the prison side you have Michonne, Tyreese, Beth, Sash, Axel, and maybe a few others. On the Woodbury side you have The Governor, Milton, Caesar, Karen, and maybe a few others. Obviously you would have some repeats, but this way, you can get a wider array of characters. I also like the fact that they seem to be adding props into the set as well. I think overall it will be a great set with a lot of new stuff that we, as fans, would love. Set collectors, on the autograph side, may have an easier time as well since some of your bigger names (Rick, Daryl, Andrea) have had cards in previous sets. We also might see some relic autographs of the bigger names which will also help sell the set. And who knows, maybe you can work something out with your seller that if you buy a case of both, you get a small discount.
Old 08-06-2013, 03:10 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicnac View Post
Not a good thing. Once again, there will be a massive retail release. All of this is diluting the strength of the franchise.

Combine that with Comic Series 3, Dog Tags 2... and I'm holding my breath for Pogs.
The dog tags are not made by Cryptozoic, I believe they are put out by Breygent. They also existed when Season Two hit and that product is still incredibly hot. Having two sets in one year instead of one probably won't do much to slow down the series, the only thing that could really do that is if the show jumps off a cliff and becomes terrible heading into Season Four (judging by the trailer, I doubt that happens). I also see the Comic Book Set as having little, to no impact on the TV Show Set. I love the TV Show Set and watch the show all the time but I have no interest in the Comic Book Set.
Old 08-06-2013, 03:17 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brobocop View Post
We also might see some relic autographs of the bigger names which will also help sell the set.
I'm expecting to see something new with these key signers that have been in multiple seasons. Whether it is relic autos, dual autos, or something else... I expect Crypto to spice them up a little bit.
Old 08-06-2013, 03:44 PM   #14 (permalink)
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
This is their first product to hit a 3rd release.
Not really - BBT releases before this and I think Vampire Diaries will too.
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 03:56 PM   #15 (permalink)

So...in order to have a Master Set of Season 3, we have to shell out over 2 Grand? That kind of sucks. Might be harder to pre-order now, especially the second set.
icancu202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 04:01 PM   #16 (permalink)

so which of the new distributors of crypto are the most reliable and post info fastest?
Old 08-06-2013, 05:12 PM   #17 (permalink)

Inserts: Autograph cards (1:24 packs), Wardrobe cards (1:24 packs), and Sketch cards (1:288 packs)

So its only one wardrobe per box this time around. Not two like in previous releases.
THE_BEAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 05:26 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE_BEAST View Post
Inserts: Autograph cards (1:24 packs), Wardrobe cards (1:24 packs), and Sketch cards (1:288 packs)

So its only one wardrobe per box this time around. Not two like in previous releases.
Yeah, that does suck indeed...Prices should definitely be lower since you are not guaranteed as many hits. One could surely hope.
icancu202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 05:31 PM   #19 (permalink)

yeah this sucks but I will still buy lol
Old 08-06-2013, 05:49 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE_BEAST View Post

I'd assume prop cards would take over that second spot where 1 wardrobe card is being dropped.
CAS239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:08 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAS239 View Post
I'd assume prop cards would tchahat second spot where 1 wardrobe card is being dropped.
I've anticipated Crypto cutting back to one per box for a while now after seeing their other entertainment releases having a relic per box average. Who knows though, season 2 was more loaded in the relics department than the odds stated, wheras with other products there is slim to no chance for an extra hit.

Besides props, I forsee wardrobe autos for the top characters. I hope for some better redemptions than the dual auto from season 2 (Governor's eyepatch/other full size props or wardrobes?). I would REALLY love sketchagraphs too.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:26 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
Not really - BBT releases before this and I think Vampire Diaries will too.
Good point. I wasn't considering upcoming products. I'm expecting the same for BBT though - something new to spice up the main cast autos.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:29 AM   #23 (permalink)

great to hear some news . miranda says in the news release that it will remain collectable so that is good to hear .
mma138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:02 AM   #24 (permalink)

Great.. More hype again. Are they making the double release more collectible or more profitable? More collectible would be getting a box for srp and not $50 over during presale.... ill just save my money again like last season.
Kodiak10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:36 AM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak10 View Post
Great.. More hype again. Are they making the double release more collectible or more profitable? More collectible would be getting a box for srp and not $50 over during presale.... ill just save my money again like last season.
Could that be why Blowout wasn't selected as an authorized online dealer? And did I just go there? lol

The next question to ask is will there be limits on pre-orders so these re-sellers can't buy up all the product themselves and price out many of the real collectors with insane markup (as with the first two sets to an extent)?

Last edited by t2554; 08-07-2013 at 09:40 AM.