Blowout Cards Forums
Metro Sports Cards

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2013, 03:45 AM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
JHinGA09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,813
Default Why didn't they make Pacific Rim cards???

I'm just wondering. It was a pretty good movie for a bunch of giant robots fighting aliens from another dimension.
Worldwide, the movie hasn't made much... Not enough promoting, I guess, but why didn't they push the card market?
Bad promoting again.
__________________
Set Needs: 2011 R&S Longevity Black Prime, 2010 Certified Shirt Off My Back Prime, Laundry Tags, Logo Patches http://s626.photobucket.com/albums/tt344/JHnGA09/
http://sportscardalbum.com/u/jhinga09
JHinGA09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 08:12 AM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
Brobocop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 2,291
Default

I thought Cryptozoic announced they were going to make Pacific Rim cards? I know that was announced in March. Unless they have said otherwise, they should still be coming.

Four New Trading Card Sets Announced! | Cryptozoic Entertainment
Brobocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 08:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
JHinGA09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,813
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brobocop View Post
I thought Cryptozoic announced they were going to make Pacific Rim cards? I know that was announced in March. Unless they have said otherwise, they should still be coming.

Four New Trading Card Sets Announced! | Cryptozoic Entertainment
It should have been out around the same time the movie was released... I wonder what happened?
__________________
Set Needs: 2011 R&S Longevity Black Prime, 2010 Certified Shirt Off My Back Prime, Laundry Tags, Logo Patches http://s626.photobucket.com/albums/tt344/JHnGA09/
http://sportscardalbum.com/u/jhinga09
JHinGA09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 08:16 AM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
JHinGA09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,813
Default

Oh wow... This Fall... How late!
http://www.nsu-magazine.com/new-lice...entertainment/
__________________
Set Needs: 2011 R&S Longevity Black Prime, 2010 Certified Shirt Off My Back Prime, Laundry Tags, Logo Patches http://s626.photobucket.com/albums/tt344/JHnGA09/
http://sportscardalbum.com/u/jhinga09
JHinGA09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 08:59 AM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 189
Default

I'm guessing:

1) If they have the license, they'll probably still release the set IF they got some good signers. They released Alphas after the show was cancelled (I liked it), but I don't think the release was too successful, unfortunately. Depending on who would sign for Pacific Rim could make or break if it's worth releasing and getting sales. Would they eat the licensing cost if it won't sell and save production costs? There won't be much interest if there are not any big name signers and no sketches.

2) Releasing it late this year would tie it in close to it's DVD release, so that would give it a bump.

3) They should now be able to use a lot more "cool" images from the movie. When movie sets come out right when the film is opening in the theaters, the images are always the promotional shots and shots from the trailers. The studios don't want to give much away. This way, more of the plot and robots/monsters could be shown.
scotthouseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 09:20 AM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
JHinGA09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,813
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotthouseman View Post
I'm guessing:

1) If they have the license, they'll probably still release the set IF they got some good signers. They released Alphas after the show was cancelled (I liked it), but I don't think the release was too successful, unfortunately. Depending on who would sign for Pacific Rim could make or break if it's worth releasing and getting sales. Would they eat the licensing cost if it won't sell and save production costs? There won't be much interest if there are not any big name signers and no sketches.

2) Releasing it late this year would tie it in close to it's DVD release, so that would give it a bump.

3) They should now be able to use a lot more "cool" images from the movie. When movie sets come out right when the film is opening in the theaters, the images are always the promotional shots and shots from the trailers. The studios don't want to give much away. This way, more of the plot and robots/monsters could be shown.
I hope it'll be good.
__________________
Set Needs: 2011 R&S Longevity Black Prime, 2010 Certified Shirt Off My Back Prime, Laundry Tags, Logo Patches http://s626.photobucket.com/albums/tt344/JHnGA09/
http://sportscardalbum.com/u/jhinga09
JHinGA09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Tinley Park, IL
Posts: 2,127
Default

Considering the movie was a huge flop, they would likely be better off eating the licensing fees than putting out a set that nobody will want.
Igman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
ViceroyCards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 393
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igman7 View Post
Considering the movie was a huge flop, they would likely be better off eating the licensing fees than putting out a set that nobody will want.
I don't think it was a flop at all. It's made nearly $400m worldwide, on a $200m budget. Even if you double that for marketing and distribution, which is on the high side, it's far from a flop. Plus a sequel is already in the works.
ViceroyCards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 08:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
Nicnac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 8,350
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViceroyCards View Post
I don't think it was a flop at all. It's made nearly $400m worldwide, on a $200m budget. Even if you double that for marketing and distribution, which is on the high side, it's far from a flop. Plus a sequel is already in the works.
None of which means the cards will be successful for the publisher or sellers. Right now, people are preparing to take a bath on Mortal Instuments, which many here were calling a sure thing last week.
Nicnac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 08:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
ViceroyCards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 393
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicnac View Post
None of which means the cards will be successful for the publisher or sellers. Right now, people are preparing to take a bath on Mortal Instuments, which many here were calling a sure thing last week.
I agree with you there. I just think that blaming it on the movie being a huge flop isn't entirely accurate. It's a new property without any big name stars, released far after the movie was in theaters. The card set had a lot going against it from the beginning.

edit: Also, we researched quite a bit about this last year. We were close to doing a Robots vs. Kaiju sketch set, that was to release as Pacific Rim was in theaters. In the end, we decided against it and did the Carnival set instead.

Last edited by ViceroyCards; 08-24-2013 at 08:21 PM.
ViceroyCards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 08:43 PM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
JHinGA09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,813
Default

The movie didn't do as well as it was expected to in the States on opening week. It took awhile, but worldwide, it did pretty good. From what I've read, it was actually released 6 months or so later than it was suppose to, if I'm correct.
__________________
Set Needs: 2011 R&S Longevity Black Prime, 2010 Certified Shirt Off My Back Prime, Laundry Tags, Logo Patches http://s626.photobucket.com/albums/tt344/JHnGA09/
http://sportscardalbum.com/u/jhinga09
JHinGA09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
Copyright 2013, Blowout Cards Inc.