Blowout Cards Forums
Hallowwen

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2013, 06:10 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Cryptozoic

So, I noticed that Psych season 1-4 is already taking a hit on sale prices and there are some other Cryptozoic releases that I feel will do the same. Titles like Revenge and Downtown Abbey just don't seem to me as having a big card collecting audience.

Am I the only one that thinks they are taking on too many licenses that don't translate to a great card set?

I love the quality and style of their cards, I sure would hate to see them go down the Inkworks path.
TheDude1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:37 AM   #2 (permalink)

I think you almost have to expect that with the niche shows they are turning into products.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that their most successful product is also the most successful show they have a license for.

I think a real problem for non-sports in general is besides a few outliers, all of these products are available for sizeable discounts down the road. What is the incentive for buying at release (other than that small % of people who have to have it immediately)?
Old 09-17-2013, 11:48 AM   #3 (permalink)

I definitely think they are taking on too many questionable licenses. And the Non-Sport Update forum indicates that Cryptozoic will be announcing 3 more licenses this weekend at the Philly show. I hope they will be announcing some good products and not more niche tv shows.

Of course, part of the problem is that it's hard to predict what will be a hit. I've seen lots of people post here on BO that they are excited about Archer, Breaking Bad, and Sons of Anarchy. I don't watch any of those shows, and have no interest in the cards, and I personally think they will be mediocre. But a lot of people think they will be big winners. On the other hand, I've seen many people say that Revenge will be a loser, and I think it will actually be decent.
aggie4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:50 AM   #4 (permalink)

All that matters is that they sell their product and collectors are happy with them. It's more than we expect from the 'big' publishers.
Nicnac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 12:17 PM   #5 (permalink)

Speaking of them announcing 3 new licenses, what would you like to see? Some products I would really like to see made are Modern Family (ABC) and Graceland (USA).
Old 09-17-2013, 12:30 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by packers04 View Post
Speaking of them announcing 3 new licenses, what would you like to see? Some products I would really like to see made are Modern Family (ABC) and Graceland (USA).
I'm hoping for the Dark Knight movies and the BBC show "Sherlock".
StevieV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 12:47 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Arrow. (Given Cryptozoic's work with other CW shows, I'm guessing this would be a pretty strong bet)
kerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 12:50 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Arrow and Lost Girl are the two I'd really like to see get card releases.
WTB/WTTF: Emmanuelle Chriqui Cards: Americana Prime Time Stars Signature Material #19; Americana Prime Time Stars Director's Cut Signatures #19A & 19B; 2011 ITG Canadiana Onyx Base Card; and Leaf Cut Signatures.
pinhead767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 02:00 PM   #9 (permalink)

I think Arrow is a decent guess, I also wouldn't be surprised at shows like Elementary or Revolution. Although I would really like them to give all three of these shows another season to make sure they keep up their ratings and fan base before they would get the licenses. They've jumped the gun on a couple of shows that then got cancelled, so I'd like them to go with a little more established shows.

Modern Family would be amazing, however I would have to think the cost of the license would be too high. But if they could get the license, and then get all of the main cast to sign autographs? WOW!
aggie4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 02:06 PM   #10 (permalink)

I would definitely buy some Revolution cards if they got the License.
dannyman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 02:52 PM   #11 (permalink)

I know there have been some sets in the past and someone else may hold the license, but Doctor Who would be cool. The 50th anniversary seems like a perfect time.

Other than that, I don't know. Duck Dynasty? I'm trying to think of shows I watch, but I don't think they would be good card sets. Bob's Burgers?
Dewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 05:12 PM   #12 (permalink)

Would LOVE an Adventure Time set. Sketches and autos. Would be nice for Crypto to also branch into a different market, none of their products are really geared towards kids, and Adventure Time has a pretty strong following across all age ranges... I am 27 and I love the show.

Breaking Bad will be a huge hit if they get all the cast to sign and good costumes and props. It's one of if not the greatest show on television ever. It has a massive viewership. It stinks its not coming out till well after the last episode will air, but I don't think that will affect its collectibility.
Bryanjs14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 05:26 PM   #13 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to AceGambit3 Send a message via MSN to AceGambit3

Arrow, SuperNatural (someone needs to finsh what inkworks started), and justified would be my hopes
AceGambit3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 05:51 PM   #14 (permalink)

Three I would love to see (all being mentioned above):
1. Adventure Time. Me and my 10-year old son both love this show and I think we would both get a lot of fun from this set.

2. Arrow. Another show I am really enjoying. Would be cool to see a release for this.

3. Modern Family. If they could get all the main cast to sign for this it would be a very epic set. Ed O'Neil, Sofia Vergara, Julie Bown 9my personal fav) etc.

Another couple I wouldn't mind seeing (but I don't think will happen):
The Inbetweeners. I loved the show! Could time a release for the movie sequel next year.

Criminal Minds. Big fan of this show. Would love to see some autos from the main cast.
ekalbnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 05:52 PM   #15 (permalink)

Criminal Minds would be awesome. I'd love an A.J. Cook autograph.
WTB/WTTF: Emmanuelle Chriqui Cards: Americana Prime Time Stars Signature Material #19; Americana Prime Time Stars Director's Cut Signatures #19A & 19B; 2011 ITG Canadiana Onyx Base Card; and Leaf Cut Signatures.
pinhead767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:48 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanjs14 View Post
Would LOVE an Adventure Time set. Sketches and autos. Would be nice for Crypto to also branch into a different market, none of their products are really geared towards kids, and Adventure Time has a pretty strong following across all age ranges... I am 27 and I love the show.
Yeah, Adventure Time is a good idea. I'm embarrassed to say how much older I am than you and I enjoy it. Although I skew more towards Regular Show. I love the 80's references and how can you not love a show that has a giant coffee bean in tighty whiteys that shoots coffee out his nipples that is voiced by Luke Skywalker!

Coffee Bean - Regular Show Wiki

Oops, I just read my own link. The coffee bean's translator was voiced by Mark Hamill, not the coffee bean itself. But still!
Dewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:00 PM   #17 (permalink)

Supernatural would be nice. Great show. Great actors. Nashville would be another. Another great show with many great actors.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:01 PM   #18 (permalink)

Venture bros.
Deadwood (HBO)
Silent Hill 1 & 2 (movies)
THE_BEAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:18 PM   #19 (permalink)

Oh, and last but not least....BOARDWALK EMPIRE!!!
Old 09-17-2013, 08:26 PM   #20 (permalink)

Would be cool if they got licensing for a bunch of shows/characters and produced a set that had a mixture. Cannot think of a cool name but something like a "Best of TV" set. I am sure there are many reasons why it couldn't be done... but I think it would be awesome to pull a triple wardrobe Michael Chicklis relic. Something from The Shield, No Ordinary Family, and Vegas (or The Commish) on one card.

As far as things I would like to see... Law & Order franchise as one set. Community would be fun. Inspector Space time relics anyone? And maybe Pretty Little Liars...for my niece >.>
AngryLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:24 PM   #21 (permalink)

Completely forgot Community.

I have a feeling with Press Pass doing parks and rec they prob hold rights to community as well but man that would make an AWESOME release, so many great signer possibilities also Orphan Black would be great but I'm not sure it has enough of a following here in the states to warrant a release

How amazing would it be if they announced they had landed the DC movie license... With superman vs batman coming and then the obvious Wonder Woman, Justice League and all the spinoffs that would be HUGE. The signer potential for Superman vs Batman alone could make it the best non sports release ever.

Last edited by Bryanjs14; 09-17-2013 at 09:27 PM.
Bryanjs14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:05 PM   #22 (permalink)

I think they should try to go for more movies. I was a bit surprised when they didn't come out with a Man of Steel set but were able to lock down a Hobbit set. I'd love to see a Robocop set for the new movie. The movie look good, but that cast has some amazing actors in it. Michael Keaton, Samuel L. Jackson, Gary Oldman, and Miguel Ferrer to name a few.
Brobocop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:53 PM   #23 (permalink)

If we're going back to older shows, you could have an amazing West Wing product--at least in terms of autos.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:54 PM   #24 (permalink)

Yeah, they dropped the ball on Breaking Bad, but at least we're getting something, eventually.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:39 AM   #25 (permalink)

Arrested Development/Community would be fun but unlikely. New Girl could be a bit more of a chance.
93matt is offline   Reply With Quote