Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2013, 09:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Philly Non Sports Card Show

I'm going Saturday and Sunday (also attending the Card Talk Sunday morning) and was just wondering who else from the boards is going.
coalregion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

I'll be there, and got a ticket for the card talk too.
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:07 PM   #3 (permalink)

Here's a promo card we'll be giving away...

alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 02:45 AM   #4 (permalink)

Once Bitten limited edition "Blood" foil promos all sealed and ready to rock Philly!

Old 09-19-2013, 01:23 PM   #5 (permalink)

I may be there Saturday. We'll see.
alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 02:02 PM   #6 (permalink)

I'm going Saturday. Can't wait!!
StevieV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 05:13 PM   #7 (permalink)

I'll be there Saturday!
rmizz44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:11 PM   #8 (permalink)

Look for me, yes i do rarely make it to shows, but the folks who put on the show made it possible for me this time!
Attached Thumbnails
Philly Non Sports Card Show-breaking-bad-promo.jpg  
G4RY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 05:03 PM   #9 (permalink)

Well... Here are my recap and pick-ups from the show.

Got to meet quite a few artists, including Blowout's Gary Kezele and Jim Kyle. Also appearing at the show were Scott Rorie, Charles Hall, Brent Engstrom, Brian Kong, Steven Miller, Joe Simko, Warren Martineck, and Laura Inglis. Also spotted at the show were Jeff Zapata, Fred Wheaton, and Sean Pence.

Also spent a good deal of time talking to some of the manufacturers at the show: Rittenhouse Archives, Cryptozoic (Maranda and George are so damn friendly and love to talk about their product line), Topps, and Breygent. Also talked with some of the 'little guys', like Asylum Studios and Wax Eye. Sadly, I did not win the blood foil Asylum promo. Oh well... I did wins something at the NSU Card Talks. I did not win any of the fabulous prizes donated by Cryptozoic, which included sealed WoL boxes, a BBTs2 Simon Helberg auto relic card, and a WDs2 (tv) Jack Redd sketch card. Hope they went to fellow BO members.

Went to all the dealers looking for deals on sealed boxes and sketch cards. Didn't really pick much up... A couple things which I'll mention later. The dealers are also fun to talk to. I love to get their perspective on some sets (like Marvel Fleer Retro, which was priced at $350/box and $1500/case) and listen to some of their stories. Also like to sit back and watch some others negotiating, hoping to pick up a few pointers! A lot of the eBay dealers were there - Bushkill Cards, K&J, Triangle Cards. Some others, but the names are escaping me right now.

Okay... so what I walked away from the show with...

Won a Wacky Packages OS3 sketch by Joe Simko at the NSU Card Talk sessions. Commissioned a 'Peter Puker' PSC from Brent Engstrom. Commissioned my first Charles Hall card, a grey tones PSC of Julia Carpenter Spider-Woman (which is still wet... I'll do a better scan when its dry). I also have two PSCs coming from Joe Simko and a comic book cover from Brent Engstrom.

I also stocked up on supplies and picked up a couple of sealed boxes I thought I scored at a good price: RA Spider-Man Archives, UD Iron Man 2 Movie, Skybox 1993 Marvel Universe. And of course, tons of promo cards.

And then there are the promo cards... Lots and lots of promos. I was lucky enough that my Sunday pack contained the limited 5 card 'Natural World' promo pack that was only inserted in 5 door packs! Otherwise, the Saturday and Sunday packs were the same.

A quick and shameless plug for Gary and Charles. Both brought a bunch of PSCs to the show that didn't sell over the weekend, and both of them told me they'd be posting them on eBay. Keep an eye out... Gary has got some pretty sweet Walking Dead and Breaking Bad PSCs (I don't collect either property). Off the top of my head, I want to say Charles had a sweet Captain America and a couple of X-Files PSCs.

It was announced that Sean Pence, Rhiannon Owens, Tony & Elaine Perna will be among the artist guests at the spring show.

Okay, that's enough from me.

PS - Ted, if you are reading this, yes I have both a Machete promo card for you as well as the Philly Promos #77 and #78, if you want them.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:02 PM   #10 (permalink)

Great review Spider!

Congrats on being one of the lucky winners at the Card Talk...I didn't win anything this time but it was very interesting! Also, great to hear the announcement of 4 artists for the May show. Since it is the 60th I can't wait to see what they have planned.

I didn't pick up any boxes since I couldn't find anything I was really looking for. I did pick up a nice Captain Barbossa PSC from Scott Rorie for $10! I commissioned 3 AP's from Gary Kezele and can't wait to receive them. And yes his PSC's were sweet...and very reasonably priced. If I was a BB fan I probably would have picked a couple up. I was going to pull the trigger on a Charles Hall AP but it was a little more than I wanted to spend at this time.

I was also wondering if some of the regular dealers were not there this weekend due to the show being in September instead of October. And interesting that 258 had a table but never showed. Hopefully a lot of the new stuff coming out this winter/spring will be at the next show.

Well at least the extra cash I didn't spend this weekend will be put away for the Spring show!

Last edited by coalregion; 09-22-2013 at 07:14 PM.
coalregion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 07:46 PM   #11 (permalink)

The most notable dealer that was not present this time around was SciFi cards. He told me in May he wasn't going to be able to make it because of the change to September. I also noted that 258 never showed, and Bushkill didn't show on Saturday (but came today). I think there were 1 or 2 smaller dealers missing too, but I can't remember who they are and I haven't bought much from them. SciFi was a noteworthy absence... I almost always buy a sketch or two from him

Sadly I would have picked up a couple more things, but they disappeared while I was thinking about buying them. Must have been better deals than I had realized.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:18 PM   #12 (permalink)

Nice haul, Spider-Fan

Nice sketches and I really like your Charles Hall PSC.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:35 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymcgee View Post
Nice haul, Spider-Fan

Nice sketches and I really like your Charles Hall PSC.
Thanks. I grabbed an extra Mars Attacks promo with you in mind. Its not for the upcoming set, but I know you dig those little green men.

Updated Hall scan

Last edited by Spider-Fan; 09-22-2013 at 09:54 PM.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:15 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post

PS - Ted, if you are reading this, yes I have both a Machete promo card for you as well as the Philly Promos #77 and #78, if you want them.
I'm actually good on the Machete promo, but I'll take the 77 and 78! Thanks!
Old 09-22-2013, 10:20 PM   #15 (permalink)

I do have a question about the Card Talk Gathering. Did Topps happen to donate any of my Galactic Files 2 sketch cards for door prizes?
Old 09-22-2013, 10:28 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd316 View Post
I do have a question about the Card Talk Gathering. Did Topps happen to donate any of my Galactic Files 2 sketch cards for door prizes?
No, not at the Card Talks or the show.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:46 PM   #17 (permalink)

I had a few of my PSC sketches left over from the show when i got home today, so i put them up on eBAY. half of them or so have already sold but if you want to go check out what is on there, go take a look!

how was a blast, to all the collectors i met thank you for coming to see me at my table, and to all of the other artists....*cough CHARLES HALL *cough* our hangovers will go away soon i promise.
G4RY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:14 PM   #18 (permalink)

Got my Joe Simko GPK PSCs in the mail today

Old 09-30-2013, 10:41 PM   #19 (permalink)

Killer Spidey!