Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2010, 01:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default anyone doing the following Star Wars case breaks?

the followup to the incredible New Hope 3di set is finally coming out:

Topps Star Wars The Empire Strikes Back 3D Hobby 8 Box Case - $514.99 : Blowout Cards - Sports Cards and Trading Cards Wholesale Online Store

and Star Wars Galaxy 5:

Topps Star Wars Galaxy Series 5 Hobby 8 Box Case - $619.99 : Blowout Cards - Sports Cards and Trading Cards Wholesale Online Store

EDIT: how about GROUP case breaks?

Last edited by Nicnac; 02-22-2010 at 10:26 PM.
Nicnac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 01:15 PM   #2 (permalink)

Too expensive to bust at those prices. Price on SW has gone up too much.
solt0131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 01:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default Tempted...

The "Topps Star Wars The Empire Strikes Back 3D" looks really nice and may have the following to do well. I saw a promo card on the NSUpdate forum of Luke in the cockpit and it was sharp looking even as scan.

I'm just waiting to see how some of my other stuff does before I dig into the budget again.

Best to All,
Vinny
Old 02-22-2010, 02:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyH View Post
The "Topps Star Wars The Empire Strikes Back 3D" looks really nice and may have the following to do well. I saw a promo card on the NSUpdate forum of Luke in the cockpit and it was sharp looking even as scan.
Yah, the New Hope 3di set is by far my favorite set. Even 14 years after issue, it's still the most striking trading card set I have ever seen. When I open up the album for people they are always stunned.
Nicnac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 03:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tai

I'm in for 1 case and 1 box of Star Wars Galaxy 5. I got in for $450 on the case but know for a fact that one dealer was still flashing preorders last Fri. for the same price I paid(not anymore though) while Blowout already set their latest price. I think the latest price is just the result of distributors setting the market and not the result of actual demand since Galaxy 4 can be had for a lower price(it is pretty much a carbon copy). I figure at release once boxes are put on auction the price should come down to ~$65/box where it should be. I would wait a few days then start making offers to pick up more product.
As a collector I would hope to pull a Walks(not a chance) or Leavitt Die-cut. Something about Leavitt's work just makes me smile. I hope other collectors can appreciate the die-cuts as something different from the standard fare(Portrait shots realistic or not). Pretty much the reason I picked up a case is for the chance to pull one.
Tai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 06:28 PM   #6 (permalink)

Default Galaxy 5

People might be surprised by the galaxy 5 ..I think you might have a ton of bidding wars on the sketches..they appear to be alot better than galaxy 4..
Also you have the regular star war fans crossing over...As the sketch prices soar so will the box price....I SEE 80 DOLLARS A BOX not 65....but who knows..
Just hope it is here wednesday
phalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 09:55 PM   #7 (permalink)

I'm doing a case of Galaxy 5 hoping it will be here later this week. Picked it up for $460 which seemed like a pretty fair price. IF you are looking to flip sketches they sell REALLY well the first couple months and then tend to level off.
darkship17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 08:53 AM   #8 (permalink)

I'm getting two boxes of G5 (well, 3 including the comped one). Haven't ordered any Empire boxes yet, but I'll probably get at least one.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tai

If anyone is still interested I copied this off Scoundrel(credit Pipe):
Regular sketch cards 1:24
Die-cut sketch cards 1:192
Manga sketch card 1:274
Autograph 1:274
Printing Plates 1:571
Lost Galaxy 1:24
Foil 1:3
Foil Bronze 1:24
Foil Gold 1:39 (#' to 770)
Foil Refractor 1:17488
Etched Foil 1:6
Etched Original 1:43720
I'm happy with these odds since I have a case on the way and I was looking for a die-cut. I thought the autos would be harder to come by but I'm not complaining. The lack of preview information on the Manga sketch cards is disappointing(there have only been like three artists named on the sell sheets so far) but with a decent chance to pull either an auto or Manga sketch is enough for me now. I hope to see some breaks here since there seems to be quite a few collectors here who appreciate the non-sport side. Good luck if you breaking this set.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:33 AM   #10 (permalink)

My case is scheduled to arrive on Tuesday (after crossing the country). I'll break a couple boxes a night hoping for 2 nice sketches so I can keep one and help pay for the case with the other.

I am also curious as to how well the parallels/etches will do.
Old 02-25-2010, 03:58 AM   #11 (permalink)
Tai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straw44 View Post
I am also curious as to how well the parallels/etches will do.
I checked the completed auctions and it looks like the die-cuts will be popular again. I saw a Len Bellinger die-cut that was damaged go for $270. A few others went for around $50-100 and based on the reports from other forums people are on the lookout for quality die-cuts. If you pull a quality one it looks like it can offset a big chunk of the case price.
Old 02-27-2010, 11:23 PM   #12 (permalink)
Tai

Thought I would share a few pics I found on Michael Leavitt's site. The Yoda series is from Galaxy 4 and are imo great. I don't know if there have been any other artists who have examined the everyday mundane aspects of the Jedi Master's life. My favorite is Yoda going to work in his flying car(he has to get around somehow...). The other set is from Galaxy 5 and takes the zen aspect to the furry creatures of the original series. Favorite in that series is the Ewok circumscribing the circle. Enjoy the interaction with the card itself which makes the white space relevant but still simple. If anyone finds one I will trade in your favor. Just hope to drum up some interest post release.
Attached Thumbnails
anyone doing the following Star Wars case breaks?-sketchcards2.jpg   anyone doing the following Star Wars case breaks?-sketchcards.jpg  
Old 02-28-2010, 12:10 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyH View Post
I saw one of the cards in hand last week. These are gonna be HOT! IMHO. I'm tempted to buy some myself.