Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2013, 07:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 2006 Complete Avengers

With the talk about Marvel Fleer Retro and collectors trying to complete it's 60-base card sketch set, it had me remembering back at 2006 Complete Avengers and looking to the future of how sets could be constructed using aspects of both sets.

One of the aspects of Complete Avengers that I enjoyed was trying to get one sketch card by each of the 41 artists that participated on the set. It was a challenge and yet still attainable because the rarer artists did a fair amount of sketch cards for set builders to look for and not get too discouraged. These days there could be over 100 artists on a set and they could do as little as 10 cards (or less) for a particular set. That makes it a little hard for set builders, but sometimes an artist only have time to do a limited amount. But for Complete Avengers, the range of cards that an artist did ranged between 77 (Ian Dorian) and 399 (Renae Deliz). And dare I say, that the majority of Deliz's 399 sketch cards were rather impressive.

41 Artists:
Mahmud A. Asrar (310)
Darren Auck (268)
James Bukauskas (117)
Jose Carlos (305)
Jeff Chandler (250)
Justin Chung (126)
Igor Cicarini (224)
Dan Day (300)
David Day (296)
Renae Deliz (399)
Ray Dillon (398)
Guy Dorian (132)
Ian Dorian (77)
Brent Engstrom (346)
Dave Fox (188)
Otis Frampton (100)
Matthew Goodmanson (275)
Grant Gould (251)
Don Hillsman (300)
Tom Hodges (265)
John Jackman (240)
Brian Kong (378)
Jim Kyle (296)
Mike Lilly (150)
Dave Lynch (250)
Warren Martineck (266)
Brandon McKinney (307)
Rich Molinelli (298)
Tom Nguyen (139)
Tony Perna (250)
Ricardo Ratton (266)
Tyler Richlen (257)
Tone Rodriguez (295)
Scott Rosema (121)
Joe Rubinstein (335)
Uko Smith (356)
Jason Sobol (228)
Mark Texeira (360)
Eddie Valdo/Vieira (210)
Jeff Welborn (310)
Ron Wilson (170)

There's also 100 Captain America sketch cards done by Stan Lee. Originally, Stan Lee's sketch card was slated to be the 6-case incentive card, but later changed to one of the chase subsets and randomly inserted into the packs.

https://scifihobby.com/products/marv...gers-complete/

Although not officially listed on the promo sheets nor corresponding with the base set like Fleer Retro, the artists were given a list of 50 characters to choose from to draw their sketch cards (38 Heroes and 12 Villains). This could be another way that collectors could chase and build this set if they knew of the character list, but one of the challenges back in 2006 was that there were many more hardcore character collectors and less sets to dilute collectors focus so it could get a little challenging at times.

50 Characters:
38 Heroes:
Angel
Ant-Man
Beast
Black Knight
Black Panther
Black Widow
Captain America
Captain Marvel
Crystal
Falcon
Firestar
Goliath
Hawkeye
Hellcat
Hercules
Hulk
Invisible Woman
Iron Man
Mister Fantastic
Mockingbird
Moon Knight
Quicksilver
Scarlet Witch
She-Hulk
Spider-Man
Spider-Woman (Julia Carpenter)
Sub-Mariner
Thing
Thor
Thunderstrike
Tigra
US Agent
Vision
War Machine
Warbird
Wasp
Wonder Man
Yellowjacket

12 Villians:
Baron Zemo
Doctor Doom
Enchantress
Grim Reaper
High Evolutionary
Kang
Loki
Morgan Le Fey
Red Skull
Thanos
The Mandarin
Ultron

Along with the "official 50 characters" for Complete Avengers, a few "extra characters" made their way into the packs, but not necessarily considered part of the "official list" these characters add a little variety for some collectors to look for.

Some of the extra characters not on the official list:

Absorbing Man
AIM
Alkhema
Attuma
Beta Ray Bill
Bucky
Controller
Crossbones
Dormammu
Dr. Druid
Executioner
Firebird
Ghost Rider
Graviton
Grey Gargoyle
Jarvis
Jocasta
Korvac
Mantis
Marcus
Moleman
Moondragon
Moonstone
Modred the Mystic
Mr. Hyde
Nick Fury
Puppet Master
Red Guardian
Rick Jones
Ronan the Accuser
Sentinel
Sersi
Silver Surfer
Starfox
Super Skrull
Swordsman
Taskmaster
Tiger Shark
Ultimo
Whirlwind

Scoundrel Art Community • View topic - What characters managed to sneak in Complete Avengers?

What I really appreciate about Complete Avengers is that Rittenhouse scanned the vast majority of each of the artists sketch cards and this them linked on their website so you can see what their cards look like and keep an eye out for your favorite ones.

I wish aspects of this first of the "modern" superhero sketch card releases such as scans of the cards on a website and an announced artist list without "ultra rare" numbers could be combined with Fleer Retro's base character list and cool insert cards for future sets. Maybe the "ultra rare" artists could be denoted like the Stan Lee Captain America or Rittenhouse's Fantastic Four Archives "Black & White" as subsets or limited to draw on a variant type of sketch card such as Upper Deck did with the characters that were not in Fleer Retro's base set that the artist wanted to draw. I think that having attainable, challenging and presenting a variety sketch card goals along with chase cards with a various level of insert ratios is something could be a winner for multiple types of collectors in the future.

Last edited by 80s Showtime; 03-29-2014 at 06:31 PM.
80s Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 07:45 PM   #2 (permalink)

I wonder if RA did that for any other sets
justice41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default Scans

Quote:
Originally Posted by justice41 View Post
I wonder if RA did that for any other sets
For the first Women of Marvel set RA scanned many of the artist's work, but not all of the artists were scanned and posted.
Women of Marvel Trading Cards - Rittenhouse Archives

Atfer that there's not as much scanning. Mainly a "highlight" page of the artist's work for the particular set. But it's probably very time consuming to scan upwards of 8,000 to 10,000 cards per set
Marvel Trading Cards - Rittenhouse Archives
Old 10-27-2013, 10:12 PM   #4 (permalink)

Ah, Complete Avengers brings back fond memories for me. That was the first set I ever ordered multiple cases for, and I kept buying more after release.
I think all tolled I opened 8 1/2 cases. I made a killing on it, I made close to $3000 profit and kept over 20 sketches for my personal collection, including one of the Stan Lee sketches.
Everything sold great, DeLiz especially. Any female sketch by DeLiz was going for between $150 and $500 depending on the character, pose and quality, and I pulled about a dozen of her sketches. The inserts were gorgeous and just tough enough that at release they would cover almost a 1/4 of the case price.

Alas, over time I became disillusioned with sketches as more and more sets were being released ever closer together and quality became more and more uneven.
I eventually sold off my remaining sketches, except for my Stan Lee. I just can't bear to part with that one, even though they are now selling around $650, if you can even find one (I should have bough a couple of extras at release when they were still $200)

Not a masterpiece, but it's Stan "The Man" Lee!

Incarnadine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 10:47 PM   #5 (permalink)

Default Stan "The Man" Lee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incarnadine View Post
Alas, over time I became disillusioned with sketches as more and more sets were being released ever closer together and quality became more and more uneven.
I eventually sold off my remaining sketches, except for my Stan Lee. I just can't bear to part with that one, even though they are now selling around $650, if you can even find one (I should have bough a couple of extras at release when they were still $200)

Not a masterpiece, but it's Stan "The Man" Lee!
That Stan Lee is awesome!
I should have picked up one, also. But I had considered it a "subset" or "inset sketch card" so I didn't chase it as hard as I should have

You are right on point with your assessment about the uneven quality as more and more sets were released so close together. To that point, here's 3 "punching" sketch cards that I have of Dorian, Engstrom and Fox.

When looking at each artist's body of work on this set, you can see how the quality is very consistent through out. Of course, that is made possible from having the scans posted on the Rittenhouse website

Ian Dorian - Black Panther
https://scifihobby.com/products/marv...ian%2Ddorian/#

Brent Engstrom - Iron Man
https://scifihobby.com/products/marv...t%2Dengstrom/#

Dave Fox - Mr. Fantastic
https://scifihobby.com/products/marv...s/dave%2Dfox/#

Last edited by 80s Showtime; 11-01-2013 at 04:02 PM.
Old 10-27-2013, 11:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

I started with Rittenhouse on Marvel 70th Anniversary set and that was just back in 2010 my first set. I was asked to do That Avengers set but wasn't ready to draw that many that small.
justice41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 05:20 AM   #7 (permalink)

Great post 80's Showtime!! Complete Avengers was the best release for trading I ever had. I preordered 7 cases right off the bat and had fun trading with a dozen or more hard core collectors.

In fact, I used to own that Iron man by Engstrom you posted. My original goal was to have one Iron man by each artist, and I did that within a few months.....with extras. I've sold many since then, but still have a couple/few. The only artist not to draw an Iron man was Tom Nguyen.

Ttyl, Tim
Goldenavenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 05:32 AM   #8 (permalink)

Oh, by the way, Renae did a small subset of alter ego's. There was Iron man/Tony Stark and Spidey/Peter Parker and She-Hulk/Jennifer Walters. I'm trying to remember, were there anymore?

Here's the one I still have......
Goldenavenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 05:49 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldenavenger View Post
Great post 80's Showtime!! Complete Avengers was the best release for trading I ever had. I preordered 7 cases right off the bat and had fun trading with a dozen or more hard core collectors.

In fact, I used to own that Iron man by Engstrom you posted. My original goal was to have one Iron man by each artist, and I did that within a few months.....with extras. I've sold many since then, but still have a couple/few. The only artist not to draw an Iron man was Tom Nguyen.

Ttyl, Tim
Thanks for the kind words!
That's amazing that you were able to get one Iron Man sketch card by each of the artists
As I was writing about hardcore character collectors, Iron Man was one of the first to pop into my mind. It was also difficult to score members of the Fantastic Four, Dr. Doom, Scarlet Witch and, of course, Spider-Man among others back then also
Old 11-01-2013, 02:46 PM   #10 (permalink)

Default Complete Avengers - artists

Here are some of my favorites by the 41 artists:

Mahmud A. Asrar (310)
Darren Auck (268)
James Bukauskas (117)
Jose Carlos (305)
Jeff Chandler (250)
Justin Chung (126)
Igor Cicarini (224)
Dan Day (300)
David Day (296)

Renae Deliz (399)
Ray Dillon (398)
Guy Dorian (132)
Ian Dorian (77)
Brent Engstrom (346)
Dave Fox (188)
Otis Frampton (100)
Matthew Goodmanson (275)
Grant Gould (251)

Don Hillsman (300)
Tom Hodges (265)
John Jackman (240)
Brian Kong (378)
Jim Kyle (296)
Mike Lilly (150)
Dave Lynch (250)
Warren Martineck (266)
Brandon McKinney (307)

Rich Molinelli (298)
Tom Nguyen (139)
Tony Perna (250)
Ricardo Ratton (266)
Tyler Richlen (257)
Tone Rodriguez (295)
Scott Rosema (121)
Joe Rubinstein (335)
Uko Smith (356)

Jason Sobol (228)
Mark Texeira (360)
Eddie Valdo/Vieira (210)
Jeff Welborn (310)
Ron Wilson (170)

Last edited by 80s Showtime; 03-29-2014 at 06:35 PM.
Old 11-01-2013, 04:08 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldenavenger View Post
Oh, by the way, Renae did a small subset of alter ego's. There was Iron man/Tony Stark and Spidey/Peter Parker and She-Hulk/Jennifer Walters. I'm trying to remember, were there anymore?

Here's the one I still have......
Unless I missed a couple, here are the other ones that I found on the Rittenhouse website:

Old 11-10-2013, 04:02 PM   #12 (permalink)

Default Deliz Scarlet Witch $215 BO

Quote:
Everything sold great, DeLiz especially. Any female sketch by DeLiz was going for between $150 and $500 depending on the character, pose and quality, and I pulled about a dozen of her sketches.
Looks like some of Deliz's cards still sell pretty well. This beautiful Scarlet Witch was listed with a $225 BIN, and appears to have recently sold with a Best Offer of $215.

The Complete Avengers 2006 Scarlet Witch Deliz Sketch | eBay
Old 03-29-2014, 03:35 AM   #13 (permalink)

Default 50 "official" Complete Avengers characters

Thought I'd share my examples of the 50 "official" characters from Complete Avengers:

Angel, Antman, Beast
Black Knight, Black Panther, Black Widow
Captain America, Captain Marvel, Crystal

Falcon, Firestar, Goliath
Hawkeye, Hellcat, Hercules
Hulk, Invisible Woman, Iron Man

Mr. Fantastic, Mockingbird, Moon Knight
Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch, She-Hulk
Spider-Man, Spider-Woman, Sub-Mariner

Thing, Thor, Thunderstrike
Tigra, US Agent, Vision
War Machine, Warbird, Wasp

Wonder Man,Yellowjacket, Baron Zemo
Doctor Doom, Enchantress, Grim Reaper
High Evolutionary, Kang, Loki

Morgan Le Fey, Red Skull, Thanos
The Mandrin, Ultron
Old 03-31-2014, 01:25 AM   #14 (permalink)

Default Uko Smith Iron Man & Hulk

This nice 2006 Complete Avengers sketch card of Iron Man and Hulk by Uko Smith sold tonight in auction for $59.01.

Complete Avengers Marvel Sketch Trading Card UKO Smith Hulk Iron Man 2006 | eBay

It seems that sketch cards from the older modern Marvel sets (2006-2011) have been recently been selling at relatively bargain prices, but this one is probably in the same price range of what a 2-character sketch card by Uko Smith would have sold for in 2006/2007. Although, it is of Iron Man and Hulk so it's probably on the lower end of that price spectrum because there used to be some hardcore collectors for those characters back then. They might have pushed the price for this particular card up to twice as high than it sold for today
Old 03-31-2014, 06:21 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
I think your disillusionment is probably more about the quantity than the quality. If you look at the scans in this thread, there are plenty of what many people would consider poor quality cards that if released today would be excoriated by fans.

Even the King & Queen's cards (Perna and De Liz, respectively), are pretty shabby compared to their later work.

Complaining about today's quality is definitely a "back in MY day" comment, Grandpa. But hey, we all suffer from it. I still think WoM1 is the bee's knees (btw, once I wrote this I asked myself, "WTF does that even mean": The bee's knees) even though I know Perna improved immensely, Cooney sucked, and even the people who became comic artists like Asrar did minimalist work.

The main problem for sketch cards these days is glut - at least your economists are happy to see the market working the way it is supposed to.
sketchopolix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 07:28 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketchopolix View Post
The main problem for sketch cards these days is glut - at least your economists are happy to see the market working the way it is supposed to.
That's pretty much it. I'm not sure how/why 2 different companies have the Marvel license, but they ultimately must still both make money off them or they wouldn't keep shooting them out.

Currently, I am saving up for Guardians of the Galaxy, and there are still two (at least) Marvel sets that will hit before then!
finfangfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:30 AM   #17 (permalink)

Unfortunately, I had just started doing non-sports at the time this product released, so I ended up going the boxes route. Had I another few months on this side of the hobby, I would have likely done several cases. Just about evey sketch that featured a woman would bring you $90 minimum and folks were fighting over the popular male charachters as well. Ahhh, those were the days.
Igman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 11:10 PM   #18 (permalink)

I'm not a big fan of sketch cards, but using the word "quality" for artwork must be use with tweezers. Every artist has his/her style and many evolve during time. Lets not forget how much time somebody spent versus how many he/she receives as payment. And the most important is where the judges/producers have their head when choosing the artwork to be part in a project.

At least I don't see any ugly sketch like the Indiana Jones, I found in a secret box.
My Trading Card Blog http://elperelestradingcards.blogspot.com/
My Pinterest http://www.pinterest.com/elpereles/
Kane1 is offline   Reply With Quote