Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2013, 03:11 PM   #51 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 74
Default Some more WOM2 cards!

I love all of the cards showing up for the WOM2 set. If you haven't seen Francois Chartier's stuff yet, you should find him on facebook. Roy and Frank always kill it with their art on these sets. Here are a few of my own creations for WOM2. I hope you enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails
Women of Marvel Series 2-blowout-cards-sample.jpg  
__________________
Visit my Facebook page to take a look at some of my art. www.facebook.com/mtsketchcards
mikecthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 05:59 PM   #52 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 134
Default

I'm diggin' the Gladiator/Wasp sketch!

Last edited by slidethefive; 11-16-2013 at 08:25 PM.
slidethefive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 06:07 PM   #53 (permalink)
Member
 
monkeymcgee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: VA
Posts: 7,195
Default

Sean Pence bringing the heat

__________________
Collecting: money in the bank
monkeymcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 06:37 PM   #54 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 462
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymcgee View Post
Sean Pence bringing the heat

Those are great!
finfangfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 08:25 PM   #55 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Montana
Posts: 767
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymcgee View Post
Sean Pence bringing the heat

Wow, those look like photographs!
__________________
http://s767.beta.photobucket.com/user/Artiodactyla/library/
Artiodactyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 02:54 AM   #56 (permalink)
Member
 
ekalbnz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: New Zealand (but have a USA shipping address)
Posts: 1,805
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymcgee View Post
Sean Pence bringing the heat


These are amazing!
ekalbnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 11:54 AM   #57 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: South Florida
Posts: 1,185
Default

those break every rule Rittenhouse forces on us peasants
justice41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 12:24 PM   #58 (permalink)
Member
 
Spider-Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,150
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by justice41 View Post
those break every rule Rittenhouse forces on us peasants
You mean the "no head shots or busts" rule isn't evenly enforced? Shocker. The restrictions are stupid. Those cards ARE great, regardless of the fact that they are not full figures with some sort of background. So are fully rendered pencil sketches or inked cards. Sometimes I think their restrictions do more harm than good. They should find a better way to say "if the cards you submit are low quality, they are going to be rejected and you will not be asked to be on the next set" instead of promoting generic marker pin-up girls.
__________________
My B/S/T thread: http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/non-sports-singles-buy-sell-trade/564803-spider-fans-fs-ft-thread-5finity-marvel-sketch-cards-inserts-sets-pscs.html
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 12:53 PM   #59 (permalink)
Member
 
Ronin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 472
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
Sometimes I think their restrictions do more harm than good. They should find a better way to say "if the cards you submit are low quality, they are going to be rejected and you will not be asked to be on the next set" instead of promoting generic marker pin-up girls.
Well put. Couldn't agree more.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 03:55 PM   #60 (permalink)
Member
 
Fernando's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
Well put. Couldn't agree more.
Ditto. RA should allow for pencil and ink sketch cards as well as head shots. No every sketch card has to be a colored card.
Fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 04:07 PM   #61 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 462
Default

Right... Rittenhouse sets always come off a cookie cutter to me. I like how UD mixes up the sketch card borders from set to set. UD also allows more black and white sketches which can be outstanding when done by a talented artist (see Pat Boutin's cards in the Retro set). Also add in the fact that many sketch card artists are horrible colorists (it requires more than just coloring within the lines, many of the crappier artists seem oblivious to light sources for example).

At any rate, these Sean Pence cards are awesome! Rittenhouse did well by hiring him!
finfangfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 09:58 PM   #62 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Montana
Posts: 767
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
You mean the "no head shots or busts" rule isn't evenly enforced? Shocker. The restrictions are stupid. Those cards ARE great, regardless of the fact that they are not full figures with some sort of background. So are fully rendered pencil sketches or inked cards. Sometimes I think their restrictions do more harm than good. They should find a better way to say "if the cards you submit are low quality, they are going to be rejected and you will not be asked to be on the next set" instead of promoting generic marker pin-up girls.
I can't figure out what character is on the card unless I see their costumes and that usually requires a bust.
__________________
http://s767.beta.photobucket.com/user/Artiodactyla/library/
Artiodactyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 10:08 PM   #63 (permalink)
Member
 
Spider-Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,150
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artiodactyla View Post
I can't figure out what character is on the card unless I see their costumes and that usually requires a bust.
Those Pence cards that you complimented are less than busts?
__________________
My B/S/T thread: http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/non-sports-singles-buy-sell-trade/564803-spider-fans-fs-ft-thread-5finity-marvel-sketch-cards-inserts-sets-pscs.html
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 11:08 PM   #64 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Montana
Posts: 767
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
Those Pence cards that you complimented are less than busts?
Bust where the chest emblem is... Not sure what you meant.
__________________
http://s767.beta.photobucket.com/user/Artiodactyla/library/
Artiodactyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:16 AM   #65 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 27
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by justice41 View Post
those break every rule Rittenhouse forces on us peasants
Silence peasant! No bread and water until you've done at least 200 inked full colour sketch cards!
DeathStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:31 AM   #66 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 27
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by finfangfan View Post
Right... Rittenhouse sets always come off a cookie cutter to me. I like how UD mixes up the sketch card borders from set to set. UD also allows more black and white sketches which can be outstanding when done by a talented artist (see Pat Boutin's cards in the Retro set). Also add in the fact that many sketch card artists are horrible colorists (it requires more than just coloring within the lines, many of the crappier artists seem oblivious to light sources for example).
Thing is though, if you look at Retro just for its sketch cards then I would have said it's a pretty crappy release. Now before I'm eviscerated in comments Retro obviously isn't just a sketch set but my point is a couple of big names doesn't make for a good set regardless of if we're talking about Retro or WoM 2.

Looking just at Rittenhouse, it's hardly surprising they've imposed these rules when they're having to work with over 100 artists. So they've probably denied us some brilliant original pieces of artwork with those rules but they've also guaranteed a minimum standard of sorts.

Of course I'd rather they experiment more (after so many years the average sketch seems a bit stale), MGB was a perfect example of how not to do things but I think I can appreciate it's not as simple as flicking a switch with originality written on it.
DeathStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:30 AM   #67 (permalink)
Member
 
monkeymcgee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: VA
Posts: 7,195
Default

Based on the comments on the FB post where I grabbed the preview pic from, Sean says he only does portraits so maybe he negotiated an exception with RA to be part of the set.
__________________
Collecting: money in the bank
monkeymcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:52 AM   #68 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: South Florida
Posts: 1,185
Default

Naw, Pence is a big Draw so RA wanted him. They have other portrait artists on some sets. RA was going to do a GOT set that fell through and Pence probably sent in samples and they grabbed him up. Just speculation but it fits timeline wise.
justice41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:23 AM   #69 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 272
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artiodactyla View Post
I can't figure out what character is on the card unless I see their costumes and that usually requires a bust.
Send me all your Pences for rapid ID and retention.
sketchopolix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:29 PM   #70 (permalink)
Member
 
Ronin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 472
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketchopolix View Post
Send me all your Pences for rapid ID and retention.
hahahah
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 01:38 PM   #71 (permalink)
Member
 
Sushiyoshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 3,567
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymcgee View Post
Sean Pence bringing the heat

These are so ridiculous!
Sushiyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 01:43 PM   #72 (permalink)
Member
 
Spider-Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,150
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artiodactyla View Post
Bust where the chest emblem is... Not sure what you meant.
My point is that you were very complimentary of these cards, which are not even busts... They are just head shots. Maybe a little neck and chest, but not even close to a full bust.

Quantity and quality are two different things. Doesn't have to be a 3/4 body to be a quality card is my point.
__________________
My B/S/T thread: http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/non-sports-singles-buy-sell-trade/564803-spider-fans-fs-ft-thread-5finity-marvel-sketch-cards-inserts-sets-pscs.html
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 03:36 PM   #73 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Montana
Posts: 767
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
My point is that you were very complimentary of these cards, which are not even busts... They are just head shots. Maybe a little neck and chest, but not even close to a full bust.

Quantity and quality are two different things. Doesn't have to be a 3/4 body to be a quality card is my point.
Oh I agree! I think that extending the image beyond the characters face is a good thing with some artists (see the Webber in my bucket or the Katy Perry sketch). But I believe that Sean definitely set the bar with his sketches, no doubt.
__________________
http://s767.beta.photobucket.com/user/Artiodactyla/library/
Artiodactyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:03 PM   #74 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Shelbyville, KY
Posts: 76
Default

Does anyone thing getting an Archive box of these is worth it--

Maybe picking through and selling off the rest- (since there are 20 sketch cards (10 Puzzle and 10 single)- and a set of the ruby parallels...


Anyone every actually picked up an archive box on here..
stewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:18 PM   #75 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: In a warehouse of common sense
Posts: 2,360
Default

Somebody thought so at $1800 sometime last week, I think. It's in completed auctions on feebay. I saw a couple at $1600 yesterday. Not sure what to think about that. I've never really seen a box break posted of Archive Boxes from sketch based sets. I know there are a couple exclusive artists to the boxes but, beyond that, are the majority of the sketches of top artists or just a random mix like the cases?

-------
Just checked the tracking on my cases. Looks like the fun begins tomorrow afternoon!
__________________
BUYING: 2001 UD NFL Legends Autographs - Daunte Culpepper - $300. Steve Young - $350.
BUYING: 2004 Ultimate Collection Jsy/Autos/25 - Culpepper, Carr, Brady - Paying $550, in case you like money.
nabzy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
Copyright 2013, Blowout Cards Inc.