Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2013, 10:34 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default ANy Update on Cult Stuff Civil War?

Seems to have just fallen off the planet...has it released anywhere?
Blowout had them for pre-sale..now they don't
WhacksPacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 11:03 AM   #2 (permalink)

Saw a guy on another site with a redemption . . . so maybe it's out. I hadn't heard of this release until I saw his redemption up for sale. . .
Old 11-08-2013, 12:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

BO doesn't have any cases for sale, but they still do have sets listed:

Civil War Chronicles Vol 1 (Cult Stuff) Set - $34.95 : Blowout Cards - Sports Cards and Trading Cards Wholesale Online Store

Since it no longer indicates a pre-sale date, I assume it has released and is now live.
aggie4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 12:08 PM   #4 (permalink)

I'm seeing a theme developing here with these smaller companies and poor marketing. Given the cheap nature of internet marketing (i.e., make posts in forums), there's not really a good excuse for not doing more to promote your products.

Marketing collectibles doesn't end with selling out your wax--you also have to do a little extra so more people know about your product and can buy cards from those who bust the wax and sell what they get or what they don't like.
Old 11-08-2013, 12:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymcgee View Post
I'm seeing a theme developing here with these smaller companies and poor marketing. Given the cheap nature of internet marketing (i.e., make posts in forums), there's not really a good excuse for not doing more to promote your products.

Marketing collectibles doesn't end with selling out your wax--you also have to do a little extra so more people know about your product and can buy cards from those who bust the wax and sell what they get or what they don't like.
. . . I don't think they realize they are slowly killing themselves by allowing the collector base to continuously contract.

I've said it before, but nearly all of your product is sold to flippers you are in trouble.

Flippers could also benefit themselves by pushing some of the advertising on products they plan to resell. . . the double edged sword there is that too much demand could limit what product they can buy. . . then again 10 packs of a really hot product is better than taking a loss on 50 packs.
Old 11-08-2013, 12:42 PM   #6 (permalink)

There are base sets, sketches and all that at Ebay, so looks that have been released.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 07:40 AM   #7 (permalink)

I just wanted to clear up a few misconceptions. The set is out, it was very late however it is sold out barring 3 cases and thats why its not up for presale. We are a small company but we are working hard to expand the card market. Rather than open up a company and start selling to collectors we started 5 years ago with a specific goal of selling to dealers and distributors who would then offer the products to a much wider selection of customers allowing us to spend more time making the product. It also meant that the important backbone network of dealers would be supported with a profitable product. Everyone wins. We also aimed at non traditional card subjects that even non card collectors would be interested in and hopefully pick up. We want to bring new blood into the market not just sell to the same 10 people.

We sell a tiny percentage of our stock via retail, at shows and some on our site, the far majority (90%+) is sold through our dealers and distribution network. We cut our production numbers to make sure the secondary values stay up for dealers, in fact we make less money on products I KNOW we could sell more of, simply to keep demand and quality up to a high standard. We don't over produce and we never undercut our retailers. The fact that anyone on BO is even talking about our cards is proof that we are NOT killing ourselves and contracting our market but quite the opposite we are expanding it. This whole conversation is an example of just that. This time last year none of our products were on the site and now we are posting and talking to new people about our sets.

Could we post more online about the projects sure, and typically we do, this is the second set BO have stocked from us, and it happens to have fallen into a time in which we are relocating the whole company AND moving house as well. The day this set shipped we shifted directly into the next release in order to try and get back on schedule before the end of the year. We design and pack and produce every card in house so it's tight time wise. (Hence me catching up with things like this at the weekend). Thats not always going to be the case but it is for the next few months.

monkeymcgee: We have active twitter, facebook and websites, we also advertise in every issue of NSU and post on some of the forums, but your right we could and should spend more time marketing online, and more time on BO specifically. In future I am sure we will, but this has been a crazy few months and time has been tight. PM me your address please so I can drop something in the mail to you, and you can see a what we do.

www.Cult-Stuff.com
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 09:28 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
monkeymcgee: We have active twitter, facebook and websites, we also advertise in every issue of NSU and post on some of the forums, but your right we could and should spend more time marketing online, and more time on BO specifically. In future I am sure we will, but this has been a crazy few months and time has been tight. PM me your address please so I can drop something in the mail to you, and you can see a what we do.
Jason: I knew posting my comments in this thread was mistake and I should have deleted them because I really wasn't trying to single out Cult Stuff.

This was literally the fourth product this *week* that many people on here were not aware was out yet or that it even was being made. We also have some other products that people are expressing interest in, but can't get any kind of estimate on when it will be coming out. Hence, my comments.

I've purchased a lot from smaller companies in the year I've been collecting non-sports. I really enjoyed your Military Propaganda & Posters product that someone on here just happened to mention one day and I bought 10 packs. That seems to be how it is with most of the indie companies--another collector or dealer happens to mention it on the boards or messages me that I might be interested in this product.

What you hear over and over again from collectors is they are looking for something different. Well, companies like yours are providing those kinds of different and interesting products. I come from the business world--I don't work in marketing, but I work with marketing quite a bit. It's a bit of a hobby of mine as well. So, I see this gap between people who would give you money and their awareness of your products and think of ways to bridge that gap.

Let me use myself as an example here. I've spent thousands on non-sports wax and multiples of that on the secondary market over the past year. I do not read NSU, I do not go to the conventions, I only regularly read Scoundrel and this board (I guess I need to get on the NSU forums), and I've only recently started following some of the companies on Facebook. So, you can see how I (and others like me) would miss info on these products we may want to buy.

I think others on here have demonstrated the flaw with using Twitter/Facebook for distributing this info--not only do you have to be using these services (which some collectors choose not to), but you have to know what accounts to follow. As I have a strong interest in sketch cards, I will seek some of this info out. But let's say there's this person who has an interest in the Civil War but collects sports cards. They frequent this site for the sports card information, but they look at the other forums as well and see nothing about your product. To me, that's a missed opportunity not only for your business but for the people who buy your product to open and sell.

Just from my experience, there seems to be new people like me coming to non-sports who are not more familiar with the old ways to disseminate product info and I think adjusting your strategy a little could have some big impact. Look at Viceroy--they've moved some serious wax in a short time from their presence on this board.

Anyway, I hope you see that I wasn't just trying to be jerk about how you do business--there were some thoughts behind my statement. I really like what the smaller companies have to offer and I'd just like to see more people get to enjoy your products.

Last edited by monkeymcgee; 11-09-2013 at 09:56 AM. Reason: Grammar
monkeymcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 12:57 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:

Just from my experience, there seems to be new people like me coming to non-sports who are not more familiar with the old ways to disseminate product info and I think adjusting your strategy a little could have some big impact. Look at Viceroy--they've moved some serious wax in a short time from their presence on this board.
I agree that this is an issue with nearly all small press companies. . . My comments were not meant to single Cult Stuff out at all. . .

This isn't just for new collectors, by the way. . . lots of people miss out on products when manufacturers change how they distribute information. . . I believe fewer and fewer people read NSU, and more and more people read Facebook. . . the trouble is if information isn't posted to forums that people read they don't know to go look at Facebook. . .

The other problems with facebook is that once something is posted it disappears over time. . . I've tried going back on Manufacturer's facebook pages to find release dates and things and it's nearly impossible.
Old 11-11-2013, 03:09 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:

Let me use myself as an example here. I've spent thousands on non-sports wax and multiples of that on the secondary market over the past year. I do not read NSU, I do not go to the conventions, I only regularly read Scoundrel and this board (I guess I need to get on the NSU forums), and I've only recently started following some of the companies on Facebook. So, you can see how I (and others like me) would miss info on these products we may want to buy.

I think others on here have demonstrated the flaw with using Twitter/Facebook for distributing this info--not only do you have to be using these services (which some collectors choose not to), but you have to know what accounts to follow. As I have a strong interest in sketch cards, I will seek some of this info out. But let's say there's this person who has an interest in the Civil War but collects sports cards. They frequent this site for the sports card information, but they look at the other forums as well and see nothing about your product. To me, that's a missed opportunity not only for your business but for the people who buy your product to open and sell.

Anyway, I hope you see that I wasn't just trying to be jerk about how you do business--there were some thoughts behind my statement. I really like what the smaller companies have to offer and I'd just like to see more people get to enjoy your products.
I agree with you absolutely, if you rely on facebook and twitter for the majority of your publicity, you are going to find your stuck with the very limited pool of buyers. One of the things we try to do is expand our market as much as we can. We try very hard to get our stock on the tables and in the shops of dealers who can showcase the product to the public, we also spend a small fortune on promotional giveaway cards, and of course we are moving onto as many sites as we can (hence our poping up on BO!). We want to really promote the diversity and find people who can sell our products and make a profit, so that I can spend most of my time designing and making new cards and sets. I think forums like BO are a great help to that because it's so much easier to put the information out there. We will make sure to update our threads a lot more often. I really have no problem with anything anyone said just keep talking about our stuff. After 5 years we are still working to get our stuff to more folks.

To that end you will see a post up with some samples from our new Dracula set later today, and soon we will have info about our WWI preview set as well.

Oh and yes I agree absolutely about Viceroy, they make some outstanding products.

www.Cult-Stuff.com
Old 11-11-2013, 03:18 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by webjon View Post
I agree that this is an issue with nearly all small press companies. . . My comments were not meant to single Cult Stuff out at all. . .

This isn't just for new collectors, by the way. . . lots of people miss out on products when manufacturers change how they distribute information. . . I believe fewer and fewer people read NSU, and more and more people read Facebook. . . the trouble is if information isn't posted to forums that people read they don't know to go look at Facebook. . .

The other problems with facebook is that once something is posted it disappears over time. . . I've tried going back on Manufacturer's facebook pages to find release dates and things and it's nearly impossible.
Your not wrong about facebook and the difficulty of finding archived information. I detest facebook, but sadly it is a necessary evil in my life.

I can't speak for anyone else but I know we are difficult to pin down on releases dates at the moment, however we are getting better. We had some major delays this year and because of that we pulled a lot of our product dates. The only thing worse than having an unfindable date is having a date and then missing it. We have made a big effort to fix that buy only bring a set forward once we have the artwork in house. That will remain the case until we get back on schedule.

www.Cult-Stuff.com
Old 11-11-2013, 04:44 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
We try very hard to get our stock on the tables and in the shops of dealers who can showcase the product to the public. . .
This is a fantastic practice, although the sad reality is that even in the Chicago suburbs there isn't a regular brick and mortar dealer that has a decent non-sport card stock that I am aware of.

We are lucky to have several shows, but unless the product releases close to when there is a show that isn't a great venue either. . .
Old 11-13-2013, 06:30 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
I just wanted to clear up a few misconceptions. The set is out, it was very late however it is sold out barring 3 cases and thats why its not up for presale. We are a small company but we are working hard to expand the card market. Rather than open up a company and start selling to collectors we started 5 years ago with a specific goal of selling to dealers and distributors who would then offer the products to a much wider selection of customers allowing us to spend more time making the product. It also meant that the important backbone network of dealers would be supported with a profitable product. Everyone wins. We also aimed at non traditional card subjects that even non card collectors would be interested in and hopefully pick up. We want to bring new blood into the market not just sell to the same 10 people.

We sell a tiny percentage of our stock via retail, at shows and some on our site, the far majority (90%+) is sold through our dealers and distribution network. We cut our production numbers to make sure the secondary values stay up for dealers, in fact we make less money on products I KNOW we could sell more of, simply to keep demand and quality up to a high standard. We don't over produce and we never undercut our retailers. The fact that anyone on BO is even talking about our cards is proof that we are NOT killing ourselves and contracting our market but quite the opposite we are expanding it. This whole conversation is an example of just that. This time last year none of our products were on the site and now we are posting and talking to new people about our sets.

Could we post more online about the projects sure, and typically we do, this is the second set BO have stocked from us, and it happens to have fallen into a time in which we are relocating the whole company AND moving house as well. The day this set shipped we shifted directly into the next release in order to try and get back on schedule before the end of the year. We design and pack and produce every card in house so it's tight time wise. (Hence me catching up with things like this at the weekend). Thats not always going to be the case but it is for the next few months.

Jason, thanks for chiming in. THis set is right in my wheelhouse, which is why I was so excited to pick up a case upon release. I especially love the mini K&A prints with proper attribute given too them unlike other recent CW sets.
Unfortunately, I never knew it released and now I can't find a case. I realize I can piece together everything fairly cheaply from Ebay but where is the fun in that? Hopefully I'll be able to locate one soon, but thus far no luck
Old 11-13-2013, 07:27 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhacksPacks View Post
Jason, thanks for chiming in. THis set is right in my wheelhouse, which is why I was so excited to pick up a case upon release. I especially love the mini K&A prints with proper attribute given too them unlike other recent CW sets.
Unfortunately, I never knew it released and now I can't find a case. I realize I can piece together everything fairly cheaply from Ebay but where is the fun in that? Hopefully I'll be able to locate one soon, but thus far no luck
Drop me a PM and I can point you to one of our stockists!

www.Cult-Stuff.com
Old 01-20-2014, 01:35 PM   #15 (permalink)

Hello, I have a civil ware redemption that I sent in November. What is the best way to obtain status? thanks -Jim
jh_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 02:12 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
We are a small company but we are working hard to expand the card market. Rather than open up a company and start selling to collectors we started 5 years ago with a specific goal of selling to dealers and distributors who would then offer the products to a much wider selection of customers allowing us to spend more time making the product. It also meant that the important backbone network of dealers would be supported with a profitable product. Everyone wins. We also aimed at non traditional card subjects that even non card collectors would be interested in and hopefully pick up. We want to bring new blood into the market not just sell to the same 10 people.

We sell a tiny percentage of our stock via retail, at shows and some on our site, the far majority (90%+) is sold through our dealers and distribution network. We cut our production numbers to make sure the secondary values stay up for dealers, in fact we make less money on products I KNOW we could sell more of, simply to keep demand and quality up to a high standard. We don't over produce and we never undercut our retailers.
I haven't really been reading this thread because this set doesn't interest me, but I'm bored on my day off. I appreciate this strategy. As much as I want to buy things directly to save money, I realize that rip&flip dealers play a necessary role in this hobby.

I don't use Facebook or Twitter (and have not interest in signing up for either) and I find it EXTREMELY DIFFICULT to keep up with all the small press/niche releases. I've missed a couple that I would have been very interested in. My life is busy and there is just too much to try and keep up with. If there was a single source where everybody posted information it would be easy, but there isn't. I'm lucky if I remember to check each individual website/blog/fan page/Scoundrel topic once a month. Call me old fashioned, but I would LOVE to get a monthly or quarterly newsletter sent to my email that contained relevant information like: sets in progress, product details, tentative release dates, available retailers, convention appearances, promo cards going out in NSU, etc... I don't want an account of Facebook or Twitter, but I'd be happy to give Cult Stuff and Unpleasant Dreams (and many others) my email address. Being on the 5finity mailing list makes it easy for me to keep up with them, and they are about the only ones I am able to keep up with.
Old 01-20-2014, 02:37 PM   #17 (permalink)

Unpleasant Dreams now has an email alert you can sign up for on their site.

I have gotten email notices for Britannia, Dead Sexy 2, and Kinky Clown Girls(last 2 are still available BTW).
WTB: Michelle Baena 2013 hair cards /2 /5, 2013 National Letter E
Fenian95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:56 PM   #18 (permalink)

Anyone know how to contact cult stuff for redemption status? I bought a civil war bullet redemption off of fee-bay. I sent it in there redemption November with registered mail. I emailed cult stuff on their website and private messaged here with no response. I see the redemption fulfilled bullet card on fee-bay from other sellers. Anyone else with cult stuff redemptions?
Old 02-04-2014, 10:04 PM   #19 (permalink)

I have written to Jason at Cult Stuff about this. I will update if I hear from him.
Nicnac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:10 PM   #20 (permalink)

Just a FYI, I would be a bit careful about buying a cult-stuff redemption. I bought one off of ebay. I sent it registered mail to the UK so I know it got there. I have emailed them directly quite a few times with no response.
Old 04-16-2014, 01:27 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh_collector View Post
Just a FYI, I would be a bit careful about buying a cult-stuff redemption. I bought one off of ebay. I sent it registered mail to the UK so I know it got there. I have emailed them directly quite a few times with no response.
Is this redemption still outstanding? I know this goes against the earlier discussions in this thread, but try hitting them up via their social media networks aside from email.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:16 AM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh_collector View Post
Anyone know how to contact cult stuff for redemption status? I bought a civil war bullet redemption off of fee-bay. I sent it in there redemption November with registered mail. I emailed cult stuff on their website and private messaged here with no response. I see the redemption fulfilled bullet card on fee-bay from other sellers. Anyone else with cult stuff redemptions?
I have hundreds of CW bullets in my collection.
I would have sent you one for free...
How much did you pay for it..just curious

I liked the sketches in this set and the K&A print litho repros..buttttttttt
the relics seem shady
Old 04-17-2014, 10:20 AM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd316 View Post
Is this redemption still outstanding? I know this goes against the earlier discussions in this thread, but try hitting them up via their social media networks aside from email.

Yes it is. I kinda wrote it off. Learned my lesson about cult-stuff.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:24 AM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd316 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhacksPacks View Post
I have hundreds of CW bullets in my collection.
I would have sent you one for free...
How much did you pay for it..just curious

I liked the sketches in this set and the K&A print litho repros..buttttttttt
the relics seem shady
Thanks for the offer, but I like collecting oddball non sports cards not the bullets themselves.

I paid about 42 for the card from the bay, then another 10+ to ship to Uk via registered mail.
Old 04-17-2014, 02:06 PM   #25 (permalink)

oh ok....understand completely then.
wasn't sure if it would be shipped inside a shadowbox-esque card or if they would mail you a 150 year old dropped enfiled bullet in a plain white envie...haha
If you get hosed on this let me know and I'll send you a few anyway. I like sharing history if the person appreciates it