Blowout Cards Forums
2014 holiday shipping promo

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2010, 02:22 AM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to mharm2k6
Exclamation Harry Potter help and recommendations?

Hi, I have a couple questions I figure someone on here should be able to answer (hopefully).

1. Is there a way to make sure that a sealed case/box of HP (Half-blood prince specifically) is HOBBY and not RETAIL... or is this not a problem. I've been scouring ebay for cases and found a cheaper one (relatively speaking), but I want to make sure it's not Retail. That said, I've only seen it say retail packs in the tins.

2. I am a non-sport collector and I've done the normal razor stuff (encore, Nationals, vault, archives, historical, etc.) and a few assorted boxes of random things (case of Am. Heritage: Heroes, Heroes 1 & 2, Ghost Whisperer) and I was wondering if people had any high recommendations? I've been considering
  • Star Wars Galaxy 5 {boxes}
  • New Harry Potter due out sometime this year (Artbox won't release date) {case}
  • Indiana Jones KOTC {case}
  • Indiana Jones Heritage (don't know which has better chase cards) {case}
  • Iron Man II {case}
  • Ghost Whisperer 3 & 4 {boxes}
  • 2010 Allen and Ginter {boxes}
  • 2010 Razor Ink Vault** {boxes or case}
  • US Prominent Cuts {box}
    **I Wish I had preordered a few cases from Razor when I got the call (770/pc.)
I am more of a collector than a dealer, but I do care about resale value. Products like SW I'd be more inclined to keep... but things like Vault has a lot of people that I have no idea who they are.
Thanks,
Matt
mharm2k6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 02:47 AM   #2 (permalink)

I'll speak for what I know. The Indiana Jones high pulls are extremely tough. You might get 'common' autos but they will not give you much resale. You have to be really lucky to get one of the top autos (Ford, Spielberg, Lucas). Then, the sketches are being quite overshadowed by the excellent quality in Star Wars Galaxy 5.
Razor Ink Vault is a real crap shoot. You could get a case and score one big auto and a bunch of 9th most famous guy from a TV show no one watched.
Iron Man 2... there is a thread asking if anyone has a sell sheet and warning that it is an Upper Deck product (sticker autographs, might not have the biggest stars signing, etc)...

My recommendation from your list is SWG5...
Nicnac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 03:03 AM   #3 (permalink)

I'll probably and try to pick up a few boxes of SWG5 for sure. And might try my luck at 2 boxes of vault (if one fails like most- then I can just sell it)... As for the resale value of Indiana Jones- I know the odds of getting a high end auto is slim (5 spielberg, 5 lucas, 5 ford- whole run right?), even if I pulled one it wouldn't be for sale. The resale comes into play as to whether or not I'd be better off risking it on a case... or just buying the specific cards that interest me and spend the same amount. I'm not as informed as I'd like to be on UD- so I read the Iron Man II thread... should I not preorder a case and wait?
Old 03-12-2010, 11:40 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mharm2k6 View Post
I'll probably and try to pick up a few boxes of SWG5 for sure. And might try my luck at 2 boxes of vault (if one fails like most- then I can just sell it)... As for the resale value of Indiana Jones- I know the odds of getting a high end auto is slim (5 spielberg, 5 lucas, 5 ford- whole run right?), even if I pulled one it wouldn't be for sale. The resale comes into play as to whether or not I'd be better off risking it on a case... or just buying the specific cards that interest me and spend the same amount. I'm not as informed as I'd like to be on UD- so I read the Iron Man II thread... should I not preorder a case and wait?
SWG5 seems a good bet to score your money's worth.
Indiana Jones Heritage, the big 3 signed 9 cards each, and I believe 10 each for KOTCS. Thing is, the other autos, and most of the sketches are really low performers (the sketches being mostly ... terrible).
Iron Man 2: as the thread suggests, people are waiting to see if the big guns are signing. Remember that Terminator Salvation was all the hype and is now around $200 - $300 a case because there were NO superstar autos.
Someone finally cracked a case of The Women of Star Trek yesterday and they got a nice haul...
Old 03-12-2010, 03:16 PM   #5 (permalink)

Had alot of fun with 09 Razor Ink Vault (have a couple pre-ordered of 2010) and I'd love to snag a box or 2 of Star Wars Galaxy 5.

As far as Harry Potter cards go,I think the hobby boxes are all serially numbered so that would be a way of telling hobby from retail.
Old 03-13-2010, 11:16 PM   #6 (permalink)

I ended up passing on the Harry Potter I was originally going to get- only really want a few specific signatures and figure I could not risk the gamble and just buy them straight up for $200 total vs. 600+ for a case. Plus, I'll probably just buy the newest iteration when it comes out sometime this year.
I just purchased the case of Star Wars Galaxy Series 5 that was on sale for the Weekend specials and am instantly regretting it... Hamill seems to be the best pull and seems like majority of those have been pulled. I just hope the market doesn't dry up... Eh, I guess unlike when I buy some things, I actually have an interest in the subject and not just for a flip.
Old 03-14-2010, 03:09 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mharm2k6 View Post
I ended up passing on the Harry Potter I was originally going to get- only really want a few specific signatures and figure I could not risk the gamble and just buy them straight up for $200 total vs. 600+ for a case. Plus, I'll probably just buy the newest iteration when it comes out sometime this year.
I just purchased the case of Star Wars Galaxy Series 5 that was on sale for the Weekend specials and am instantly regretting it... Hamill seems to be the best pull and seems like majority of those have been pulled. I just hope the market doesn't dry up... Eh, I guess unlike when I buy some things, I actually have an interest in the subject and not just for a flip.
good thing about the SWG5.... the sketches are of a much higher quality than previous product... I think you will find some keepers...