Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2014, 11:41 AM   #26 (permalink)

If someone wants to make an offer on something I list as going in my PC or not FS/FT, I don't have a problem taking an offer. I'll never say 'I would never ever sell this for any price' because I know that is a lie. If a card is worth $100 and someone offers me $5000.. it's being sold.

So, if I list something as PC, that just means 'I have no interest in selling this at current market values so, if you want this in your collection you'll need to really overpay me'

And people demanding you undersell so they can buy and make a profit isn't limited to the card market.
kerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 12:01 PM   #27 (permalink)

I don't mind unsolicited offers as long as they are serious. Someone contacting me to offer $20 bucks for a Nina Dobrev auto is going to annoy me. Someone offering $200 for it isn't.
WTB/WTTF: Emmanuelle Chriqui Cards: Americana Prime Time Stars Signature Material #19; Americana Prime Time Stars Director's Cut Signatures #19A & 19B; 2011 ITG Canadiana Onyx Base Card; and Leaf Cut Signatures.
pinhead767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 02:04 PM   #28 (permalink)

Everything is for sale for the right price I always go with option “D” though.
PitViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 04:17 PM   #29 (permalink)

I have always found it strange anyone is upset about not getting a reply on offers. It everyone always owed a reply, we would all be in non-stop communication with every trader/dealer we have dealt with.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:22 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeteoriteGuy View Post
I have always found it strange anyone is upset about not getting a reply on offers. It everyone always owed a reply, we would all be in non-stop communication with every trader/dealer we have dealt with.
So, if you send me a meaage about something and I just blow you off... Next time you...?

We aren't talking about some back and forth negotiating that clearly isn't going anywhere. We are talking about somebody you haven't dealt with, sending an initial inquiry about a card. Once you have experience with somebody, that experience is going to impact all future interactions.

If I ask you about one of your cards and you just blow me off, I'm not contacting you about any other cards in the future. And chances are, if you contact me about one of my cards, you get treated with the same respect.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:45 PM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
So, if you send me a meaage about something and I just blow you off... Next time you...?

We aren't talking about some back and forth negotiating that clearly isn't going anywhere. We are talking about somebody you haven't dealt with, sending an initial inquiry about a card. Once you have experience with somebody, that experience is going to impact all future interactions.

If I ask you about one of your cards and you just blow me off, I'm not contacting you about any other cards in the future. And chances are, if you contact me about one of my cards, you get treated with the same respect.
I totally agree.
WTB/WTTF: Emmanuelle Chriqui Cards: Americana Prime Time Stars Signature Material #19; Americana Prime Time Stars Director's Cut Signatures #19A & 19B; 2011 ITG Canadiana Onyx Base Card; and Leaf Cut Signatures.
pinhead767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:07 PM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post

If I know someone from the board and they seem to be decent people (and you fit both counts) I would def. respond. If someone not fitting that bill gives a specific dollar offer, then I will also respond yes/no.

If it is someone I don't know, or someone who is notorious for being a lowballer or a jerk on the boards, then a non-response IS a response (i.e. N-O). It is not disrespect, it is just common sense. If they didn't take the time to make a concrete dollar offer in their initial message for a card I wasn't soliciting for sale, then they can't complain if I don't take time to respond.

To switch gears a bit... for those that like to inquire about an unsolicited card without providing a price quote, what would be your follow-up in the following scenario?

Inquirer of Unsolicited Card: Nice Card! Please keep me in mind if you want to sell.

Owner of card: If the price is right, all of my cards are for sale... what is your best offer?

Inquirer of Card: Fill in the blank

________

I am asking honestly. Because I don't want to be rude, but I also don't want to be drawn into a waste of time. Based on personal experience, the inquirer of the card will often STILL not give a concrete quote with his 2nd pm, even when requested in my response to his unsolicited inquiry. So, the guy conceivably had 2 chances to make a concrete offer (still not sure why anyone would find it rude to receive a concrete offer upfront), and has dropped the ball. At what time do you feel it no longer becomes rude for the owner of the card to simply ignore the guy?

Last edited by finfangfan; 01-13-2014 at 10:09 PM.
finfangfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:58 PM   #33 (permalink)

I'll preface my opinion by saying "Nice Card! Please keep me in mind if you want to sell." is not something I would ever say. Like I said before, I don't scan sketchcollectors and other PC areas and random inquire about cards. I only send inquires to posts in the box break section, and they are usually to members that I know sell a lot of stuff. Generally speaking, its usually a straight "PM me a price if XYZ is available." or I will just PM asking for a price. Sometimes I get the response "make me an offer", and if I really want the card I'll send an offer that I feel is competitive. The seller and I don't always agree on whether or not my offer is competitive, and so is life. As a buyer, I don't like to play the "make an offer" game. As a seller, I always list the price I'm looking for. Its just faster if you know where the seller values the card. No need to bother if the buyer and seller are way off in what they think a card is worth. In your example, the card is not for sale, so that is all irrelevant.

The reason I would never lead with 'D' is because its very 'beat around the bush' and I'm more of a straight-forward kind of person. Typically I would go with 'A' just to find out if the card is actually for sale. I only lead with an offer if I know the card is for sale, and I know the seller is looking for an offer (or I think their listed sale price is a little too high, or I'm trying to get a discount on a multiple card purchase). Nonetheless, for the sake of this scenario, I'll pretend I am the kind of person that doesn't just ask direct questions.

I personally would probably not come back with an offer, because a response starting with "If the price is right..." tells me that the owner doesn't want to sell unless they get an over-the-top offer. I would probably respond with something along the lines of "Thank you for getting back to me. I appreciate that you aren't looking to sell the card at this time." I would not expect any additional response from the owner of the card. And again, I would never lead with something so flowery and nonspecific.

I get plenty of inquiries. Typically, if it isn't something I'm motivated to sell, I just say "Thanks for your interest. Sorry, but the card you asked about is not for sale." Otherwise, if it is for sale, I just give them a price.

And to answer your question, if you say "make an offer" and he doesn't, its no longer rude to stop responding to him. And if you want to ignore that guy in the future, that is fine too. Like I said, once you have experience with somebody, that is going to dictate how you interact with them in the future.

Last edited by Spider-Fan; 01-13-2014 at 11:00 PM.
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 05:46 AM   #34 (permalink)

I'll usually start off with A or D. For me, it's a way to see if it's even an option for the owner of the card.

I had this one experience where I contacted the owner of a card (sketchcollectors) to see if they were willing to sell. The owner of the card replied with it's not for sale. I replied that I'm interested in it and if you'd ever want to sell it could you keep me in mind? Also, I asked if they'd mind if once a year I contacted them briefly to see if they'd change their mind? They replied "no problem". So, once a year I'd send a quick little message just to see if they changed their mind and after the 3rd year they replied with "yes" I'd be willing to sell and I now own it.

I think as long as your polite about it there's no harm in asking about a certain card. We're all collectors and things change in our lives and so you never know until you ask. IMO
Goldenavenger is offline   Reply With Quote