Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2014, 10:42 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Opinions wanted in regard to unsolicited offers on cards

I thought it would be cool to have an open discussion on what is, or is not the appropriate way to make an unsolicited offer for a card that was posted by a collector to show off on this site, sketch collectors, etc (ie not a card posted to a sales thread)

Which of the following are most appropriate:

A) is that card for sale?
B) How much for that card?
C) I will offer you ($ specific amount) for that card shipped to (specific country)
D) nice card, let me know if you ever want to sell
E) it is never appropriate to make an unsolicited offer for a card not posted for sale.
F) other

I have my own opinion, but I thought it would be cool to hear others opinions before weighing in.
finfangfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 11:33 AM   #2 (permalink)

Sell me the card or the dog gets it. That, or something along the lines of "D".
Old 01-11-2014, 11:36 AM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to AceGambit3 Send a message via MSN to AceGambit3

I'd say D) nice card, let me know if you ever want to sell. would be the most appropriate.

Mainly because even if a card is PC there may always come a time where you need the money
or you want the funds for a higher sought PC card. So it's good to know that there are potential buyers you can contact immediately before you would ever have to post it for sale. Besides D) isn't really making an offer so much as making it known you got a nice card and other people do want it
AceGambit3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 12:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

Some combination of A,B, C and D works for me. Actually, a combination of A and C would probably be the one I would find most welcome as it would get past the 'awkward silences' that can occur during the initial exchanges with both sides waiting for the other to suggest a price
Qexit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 12:23 PM   #5 (permalink)

I think, as long as you are polite, there isn't an inappropriate way to express your interest in obtaining a card.

You really have 3 options listed there. Is that card for sale? How much for that card? Nice card, let me know if you ever want to sell? Those are just three slightly different ways of asking if a card is for sale. People may have a personal preference for which they prefer, but that is the same as having a favorite color. What I'm reading as options are:

A) Asking if the card is for sale
B) Making an offer
C) It is never appropriate to make an unsolicited offer for a card not posted for sale

Personally... I think 'never appropriate' is a little silly. This is a 'you snooze, you lose' world. You see a card you want, and you don't ask if it is available... The next person does, turns out it is, and buys it. The person who has the card should be flattered that somebody else likes it so much that they want to own it. Responding "Thank you for your interest, but the card is not available." isn't so much work. If the person with the card is that upset about unsolicited offers, they can always include "NFST" or "not for sale or trade" when they post the card.

That said, I think there is more to it than what you have listed in your opening post... How was the card posted? Are we talking about a posted box/case break vs a mail day/custom/commission? Is the person who posted the card known to sell a lot of cards?

If it were my poll, I'd probably list the options more like
(A) PM asking if it is available for sale/trade
(B) PM offer
(C) Post asking if it is available for sale/trade
(D) Post offer
(E) Post, PM me if it is available for sale/trade

You can change the words around to fit your personal preference, but I think those are the 5 actions that are available. I think any of them are fine, but I think most people prefer to negotiation privately.
Old 01-11-2014, 12:38 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for the responses. I always get a bit annoyed when receiving unsolicited "offers" like in A) and B) above when I post a card on sketchcollectors. Frequently it equates to "will you sell me that card in your collection for cheap?". That's why I think it is most efficient to just take the bull by the horns and go with C) if you truly are interested in a card. That way there is no ambiguity as to the price you are willing to pay including the price of shipping to your country.

I have no problems answering set dollar offers with a yes or no, and be done with it i've sold quite a few cards this way that I wasn't actively shopping around). In all honesty, I tend to just ignore A) and B) inquiries unless it is from someone that I have already done deals with (even then I prefer C).

That said, is anyone ever annoyed when they receive a C) offer? It is the one I tend to do the most due to it's streamlining the back and forth, but I might consider changing my ways if people find it annoying.

Last edited by finfangfan; 01-11-2014 at 12:43 PM.
Old 01-11-2014, 12:45 PM   #7 (permalink)

You have to ask if a card is available because you never know the intent of the person posting it and don't want to miss out if he lists it elsewhere.
Nicnac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 12:55 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicnac View Post
You have to ask if a card is available because you never know the intent of the person posting it and don't want to miss out if he lists it elsewhere.
Right. I guess I cant see what is to be gained by not just leading off with your dollar offer right off the bat rather than beating around the bush as in A) and B).
Old 01-11-2014, 01:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tim

A and D are the same; i'd use that for collectors.

I'd use C for people that you know are dealers.
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 01:45 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by finfangfan View Post
In all honesty, I tend to just ignore A) and B) inquiries unless it is from someone that I have already done deals with (even then I prefer C).
If I ask somebody if a card is for sale, and they just ignore my message, I find it to be terribly rude they couldn't take 2 minutes to write me back. It isn't too much work to respond "I'm not actively selling the card, but I'll listen to your offer." However, I don't generally cruise sketchcollectors and send random solicitations about card (I do receive them though). The only time I send unsolicited sale inquires is to posts in the break section. As far as not sending a dollar offer. If the card isn't for sale, why should I go through the trouble of determining a fair value? I'm not trying to get you to sell a card from your PC, I'm asking if you are planning to sell a card that you just pulled. If you didn't state whether or not it is available, I have no way to find out besides asking. Can't be bothered to respond?

In my experience, sending an unsolicited offer is a waste of time. Either the card is not for sale, or it is.
(1) If its not for sale, I'm done. Enjoy your card. Its not for sale, I'll move on with my life. There are plenty of cards for sale.
(2) If it is for sale, then the seller has a price in mind. If they say they want an offer, most* of the time its because they are trying to get more than they think it is worth. Every time I respond to a 'make an offer' post on Scoundrel, I get a counteroffer. Would have saved time if they just posted the price they wanted in their sale thread. That is why I don't check the sale threads over there very often.

*Yeah, sometimes people are planning on selling a card and just haven't put thought into its value yet. That is fair. Our lives don't revolve around buying and selling cards.
Old 01-11-2014, 01:58 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
A and D are the same; i'd use that for collectors.

I'd use C for people that you know are dealers.
Not sure why there really needs to be a different answer for different card owners. If C is appropriate for a dealer, I dont think a non-dealer would ever be offended by getting the same clear cut offer as in C.
Old 01-11-2014, 02:10 PM   #12 (permalink)

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
If I ask somebody if a card is for sale, and they just ignore my message, I find it to be terribly rude they couldn't take 2 minutes to write me back. It isn't too much work to respond "I'm not actively selling the card, but I'll listen to your offer."

In my experience, sending an unsolicited offer is a waste of time. Either the card is not for sale, or it is.
(1) If its not for sale, I'm done. Enjoy your card. Its not for sale, I'll move on with my life. There are plenty of cards for sale.
(2) If it is for sale, then the seller has a price in mind. If they say they want an offer, most* of the time its because they are trying to get more than they think it is worth. Every time I respond to a 'make an offer' post on Scoundrel, I get a counteroffer. Would have saved time if they just posted the price they wanted in their sale thread. That is why I don't check the sale threads over there very often.

*Yeah, sometimes people are planning on selling a card and just haven't put thought into its value yet. That is fair. Our lives don't revolve around buying and selling cards.
I can't see being offended by a non-response if I posted a card on sketchcollectors. If someone is like "you know that card that you haven't posted on eBay or a sales thread... How much do you want for it?". I don't think I need to waste time responding to them. I fall asleep that day the same way I woke up... With a card in my collection. Again, if it is someone I know on the boards, I will respond, but a random dude wasting my time? Nope!

I have sold cards on sketchcollectors where an initial offer was made upfront though. Guy: "I'll give you $125 for your Robert Hack Darkseid AP". Me: "Sure".

If you truly want a card, make an offer. By not leading off with the offer, it is most likely you are looking for a low price deal on a card... And bottom feeders are best ignored in my experience.
Old 01-11-2014, 03:06 PM   #13 (permalink)

"D" is what I think is appropriate and have used a few times on a box break thread.

If I get a response great if I don't no big deal and not offended at all.
Old 01-11-2014, 03:15 PM   #14 (permalink)

all my cards are available .. ft/fs .. always
even the PC ones .. that is if the offer is a good one

u can ask me, "what are u selling at?" .. and i'll get back to u one day (maybe)

however, someone tosses an offer that moves me .. card will be sold/traded
ricksam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 03:52 PM   #15 (permalink)

Funny how much is just personal preference...
As an artist, I don't mind when people stop responding after prices are given because just about any way they respond besides "sign me up!" tends to lean toward insulting. Less is more, say "thanks" or whatever but don't offer excuses because we both know they're lame, yeah?

...But back to the topic - I prefer D in terms of politeness, but C if they're really serious. Anything that makes me have to contemplate pricing and how much I *really* want to keep it and whatnot has less chance of a response, or at least a timely response, because I am horrible at decision making. C is less effort on my part, I just have to decide if that number is worth it and I'll let you know.
Old 01-11-2014, 04:24 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashelton View Post
Funny how much is just personal preference...
As an artist, I don't mind when people stop responding after prices are given because just about any way they respond besides "sign me up!" tends to lean toward insulting. Less is more, say "thanks" or whatever but don't offer excuses because we both know they're lame, yeah?

...But back to the topic - I prefer D in terms of politeness, but C if they're really serious. Anything that makes me have to contemplate pricing and how much I *really* want to keep it and whatnot has less chance of a response, or at least a timely response, because I am horrible at decision making. C is less effort on my part, I just have to decide if that number is worth it and I'll let you know.
Nice to hear an artists opinion!

You mention personal preferences, and I guess that is what it all boils down to. It is nice to hear others personal preferences.

I think it is also a lot like online dating. If someone doesn't respond to your inquiry, you pretty much know their answer!
Old 01-11-2014, 05:34 PM   #17 (permalink)

It never hurts to ask politely

Dont suppose you would be interested in selling?

Crap for trade-
https://picasaweb.google.com/103658828018382987910
NonSportsCardForum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 05:56 PM   #18 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonsportscardforum View Post
it never hurts to ask politely

dont suppose you would be interested in selling?
This guy gets it !
Aubrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 09:07 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by finfangfan View Post
Not sure why there really needs to be a different answer for different card owners. If C is appropriate for a dealer, I dont think a non-dealer would ever be offended by getting the same clear cut offer as in C.
I think Tim meant to say ONLY use C with dealers. This cuts out the back and forth - tell the dealer what you want to pay and s/he will say yes or no. The worst part about receiving offers (from a dealer's perspective) is the time wasted haggling.
sketchopolix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 09:27 PM   #20 (permalink)

If I had something listed as "PC" and someone asked if I would sell it, I would have no issue telling them no problem, "make an offer". But I would expect them to make an offer and not ask what sort of price I was looking for it, because at the end of the day it is PC and I most probably do not have a price in mind other than if the offer is too good to say no too, I would sell it.

I had a case of this not too long ago actually with a item I had listed as "PC" and someone sent me a PM asking if I would sell and if so for how much. I messaged back saying make an offer and I will consider. Next message I got was an offer for 3/4 of what similar ones sold for on ebay because I "wasn't paying ebay fees". I politely messaged back saying I will pass as it was a PC item and would much rather keep it than sell for that. Top it off the guy interested back with a rude message saying they had to have "room to make profit" too. I ignored the this and the next three messages after that!

Also looking for Harley Quinn, Iceman, Deadpool and Daredevil sketches
ekalbnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 11:41 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekalbnz View Post
Top it off the guy interested back with a rude message saying they had to have "room to make profit" too. I ignored the this and the next three messages after that!
What is with that lately? There was an artist on FB last week saying how a guy wanted him to sell a set of sketch covers for $10 each because he had to be able to compete with his (the artist's!) prices when he flipped them!

People who think the original owner/artist should consider the buyer's profits as a legitimate reason for cutting into their own are a special kind of dumb.
Old 01-12-2014, 12:47 AM   #22 (permalink)

You think it is bad online? Try setting up at sport card shows where the vast majority of the folks walking the floor think they are dealer just because they have an ebay account. Guess what bucko, I have one too (and likely a much larger pool of potential clients) and I don't care about making room for you to profit unless I am selling in bulk just to recapitalize.
Igman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 03:28 AM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashelton View Post
What is with that lately? There was an artist on FB last week saying how a guy wanted him to sell a set of sketch covers for $10 each because he had to be able to compete with his (the artist's!) prices when he flipped them!

People who think the original owner/artist should consider the buyer's profits as a legitimate reason for cutting into their own are a special kind of dumb.
I really don't understand it. It drives me nuts! I hope the artist told the buyer to stick it where the sun don't shine!

Also looking for Harley Quinn, Iceman, Deadpool and Daredevil sketches

Last edited by ekalbnz; 01-12-2014 at 03:44 AM.
ekalbnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 04:04 AM   #24 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to HitDog44

I would agree that "D" seems like the best overall response or maybe "Yo bitch, give ya $10 for that NAR! sketch".
Old 01-12-2014, 12:02 PM   #25 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HitDog44 View Post
I would agree that "D" seems like the best overall response or maybe "Yo bitch, give ya $10 for that NAR! sketch".
We have a comedian here
Aubrey is offline   Reply With Quote