Blowout Cards Forums
bronx blaster aaron judge

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2017, 07:02 PM   #3476 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujobyte View Post
I don't think so. Carr and I picked up a LOT of MM auto's from cardgary's and other sellers dumping, and I can tell you this is not the case. I know as they're repeater customers who are probably finishing sets finally, or something. I mean, ultimately I cannot tell you why they're purchasing, but don't think that's the reason at all.
I'm not saying it's WHY they are purchasing, just why it is happening NOW (verses, say, two weeks or a month ago). Just a theory, of course.
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 01:42 AM   #3477 (permalink)

I had noticed that. I wonder what my Lady Sif 01/10 auto is worth now? Or my three Spectra Gems?

There is one buyback auto on Ebay right now for $40. A minor character but might be worth picking up.
WTB: Michelle Baena 2013 hair cards /2 /5, Premium Base cards, socks swatches
Fenian95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 07:00 PM   #3478 (permalink)

Buyback autos for minor characters should be in that price range maybe even less. Some of the prices online are a joke. Unless you are going for a set, why on earth would you pay such prices for minor characters
merwase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 12:07 AM   #3479 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by merwase View Post
Buyback autos for minor characters should be in that price range maybe even less. Some of the prices online are a joke. Unless you are going for a set, why on earth would you pay such prices for minor characters

Can definitely see there being set collectors for these. Also keep in mind anything low numbered associated with 2016 MM seems to be on fire as of late, and these are numbered /15.

As a side note, I'm noticing even the non-auto buybacks are gaining some traction. I am unsure of how many of each were produced..would be interesting if this could be calculated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-20-2017, 12:19 AM   #3480 (permalink)

I'm shocked that the autographs have seen such a massive rebound. I think I moved my Gorr What If for $75, but now who knows. I ripped waaay too much of this product and did not come close to making my money back. That said, I would do it again, as I think I pulled the greatest Thor sketch I've ever seen (even if the 'inspired by' still makes zero sense). Drawn by Jose Carlos Sanchez, inspired by 'Bizarre Adventures #32':
Attached Thumbnails
New Marvel Masterpieces - Joe Jusko!-20160814_010920.jpg  

Last edited by rudzud; 05-20-2017 at 12:22 AM.
rudzud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 01:37 AM   #3481 (permalink)

It's been nearly a year since this product was released and members of this forum are still discussing it. Jusko must have the magic touch. This product clearly resonated with collectors.

The original set was very popular when I was a kid. I remember bringing the cards to class to show to my classmates. Our teacher had a raffle at the end of the year where he gave away as a prize the promotional poster for the set.

I bought a bunch of the cards from the new release. I knew well in advance about the set. The release date was pushed back by more than a year, as I recall.

I was fortunate to acquire almost all the cards I wanted before the prices got ridiculous -- only a couple I missed out on. I absolutely refuse to pay the inflated prices. So my collection is pretty much complete. I can't understand why anyone would pay quadruple the price for the autograph cards. They just aren't worth it. And this is coming from someone who's personal collection benefits from the increased market value.

I know there is one eBay seller who basically has tried to corner the market on the rarest cards from the set. I'm not sure why it's a good investment to spend a lot of money on Marvel cards with the intent to resell them -- but hey, to each their own.

I think there are some collectors who found out about this set way too late and who have been frantically paying inflated prices to fill their collections. If I were them, I would not have even entered the fray -- this product is too limited in print. At some point collecting loses its joy. Find something else to spend your money on.
fabiani12333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 03:18 AM   #3482 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabiani12333 View Post
I know there is one eBay seller who basically has tried to corner the market on the rarest cards from the set. I'm not sure why it's a good investment to spend a lot of money on Marvel cards with the intent to resell them -- but hey, to each their own.

I think there are some collectors who found out about this set way too late and who have been frantically paying inflated prices to fill their collections. If I were them, I would not have even entered the fray -- this product is too limited in print. At some point collecting loses its joy. Find something else to spend your money on.
I don't understand a post like this... on one hand you are talking about your love of the set, but then telling others don't collect it or spend the money on it.

Sounds like to me you don't want buying competition
Old 05-20-2017, 03:34 AM   #3483 (permalink)

Quote:
Sounds like to me you don't want buying competition
No -- I'm done collecting this set. I'm saying I wouldn't have bothered trying to collect it way after it was released. The set was too limited in print and too much in demand. The prices got stupid high after I was basically done building my collection. There are maybe 3 cards I missed out on -- but you can't have them all. The cards I want aren't even for sale.

The inflated prices that some collectors are paying only bolsters the value of my collection -- so thanks!
fabiani12333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 08:55 AM   #3484 (permalink)

It happens all the time. Not everybody values a dollar in the same way. Why judge people on how they spend thier money? I mean, every one of us is spending money on cards that unstead could be feeding a poor family or providing health care to a veteran...
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 11:14 AM   #3485 (permalink)

You can call me a late-comer to the MM16 party. Late last year, I started looking up info on the old Marvel card sets and discovered this product and this forum. I read through this entire thread and in January/February, bought 21 boxes.

Each box has one canvas/gallery card, one holofoil/parallel and one Battle Spectra/Gem card. And most importantly, one sketch per box. Plus autos, plates, mirage cards and all the other potential goodies. It was really a lot of fun opening each box.

After organizing my boxes, I finished up my collection via eBay and COMC, filling up on Tier 4, BS Gems, autos, achievements, plates and #/25 gallery, in March. I regret not getting full sets of the #/25 gallery and BS Gems and a lot more autos back then. Some of the rarer cards increased by ~50% in just the past couple months.

I picked up maybe 15 - 20 Marvel sets this year (all from the '90s, other than MM07, MR13 and MR15), including near-master sets of all Marvel Universe and Marvel Masterpieces up to '96. MM16 is by far, my favorite, as far as card design, artwork and worthy inserts.

Being a latecomer meant I paid more than a lot of you have. But at the same time, I may have saved over some of the guys that paid silly prices when the product was relatively new and there was a lot of speculation.

The interesting thing about card collecting is that market prices are driven almost purely by supply and demand. Supply of sealed product is starting to dry up and supply on the open market (eBay, COMC) has already dried up for the rarer cards. Demand wavers from month to month, as collectors finish their sets and others begin theirs.

One question we need to answer to accurately gauge the long-term price of the product is how many people holding on to their cards actually want to keep them permanently versus those keeping them over speculation. I'm sure there are at least a couple dealers hoarding some of the rare cards and strategically releasing them at opportune times.

This card set has a lot going for it and with a small production run of ~900 - 930 cases, it's all but guaranteed to hold its value.

I predict in the long run, the Tier 4 cards will go for ridiculous money. In ten years, base Tier 4 will go for $400, easy, with What If at $1000. Probably more, maybe a lot more. Cards #1 - 81 will go for maybe double or triple today's prices, but not much more. A lot of people will be turned off from collecting Tiers 1 - 3 because of the rarity of the Tier 4 cards.

I welcome all the newcomers into MM16 that help bolster the value of my cards. I extol its virtues at every chance I get and hope others continue to discover this wonderful set!
Half Vaped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 11:26 AM   #3486 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
It happens all the time. Not everybody values a dollar in the same way. Why judge people on how they spend thier money? I mean, every one of us is spending money on cards that unstead could be feeding a poor family or providing health care to a veteran...
Not to mention that the person you're buying the cards from may be a disabled veteran or a dealer selling cards to support four generations of his/her family. Even if not, buying cards at inflated prices still benefits the economy in that the seller spends the money on other goods and services.

Even as a leftist that supports socialized medicine, I can perfectly see how the free market benefits everybody, at least for luxury goods, such as collectible cardboard.
Old 05-20-2017, 04:21 PM   #3487 (permalink)

Default New Marvel Masterpieces - Joe Jusko!

I completely agree with prices dropping immediately. When I've snapped up what i need y'all can continue
Old 05-21-2017, 02:43 PM   #3488 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Vaped View Post

I predict in the long run, the Tier 4 cards will go for ridiculous money. In ten years, base Tier 4 will go for $400, easy, with What If at $1000. Probably more, maybe a lot more. Cards #1 - 81 will go for maybe double or triple today's prices, but not much more. A lot of people will be turned off from collecting Tiers 1 - 3 because of the rarity of the Tier 4 cards.

I welcome all the newcomers into MM16 that help bolster the value of my cards. I extol its virtues at every chance I get and hope others continue to discover this wonderful set!
Pushing even close to $1,000....what?
rudzud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 07:20 PM   #3489 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudzud View Post
Pushing even close to $1,000....what?
Tier 4 What If... cards are already pushing $300+. I don't think it's too much of a stretch that #/49 cards of a very well received set might bring in $1k each in a decade. I could be wrong though.

I wager that at least the Deadpool, Spider-Man, Iron Man and Wolverine What If... cards would bring in that much.
Old 05-21-2017, 07:36 PM   #3490 (permalink)

I don't think Half Vaped's conjecture is out of the realm of possibility. I know for sure that the 1996 set has increased in value over the last few years. Additionally, the fact that the these cards are all serially numbered, adds to the exclusivity of the product and could contribute to owners' unwillingness to sell in the future. As a relatively new member to this forum, I have gone through the entire thread recently (mostly trying to find the hard to get cards and reaching out to people), but I have seen the posts prior to release date and the tiering didn't sit well with many posters...all that being said, it didn't curtail the demand in the set. And as time goes on, there will be new collectors who might try to obtain their own set and increase demand again. I think only time will tell...
JJJ1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 09:28 PM   #3491 (permalink)

I would echo the above thoughts. There is something about the Marvel Masterpieces brand itself that has always drawn people in, going back to the groundbreaking 1992 set. Each of the 90s Masterpiece sets was fantastic in its own way. Perhaps the 07-08 releases were not quite as well received or regarded, but when you combine the superb artwork of Jusko and the Marvel Masterpiece brand, it's going to be a sure-fire long term success.

I agree that it all comes down to how much of this is going into a permanent collection....that is the crucial factor. Are there at least 99 people in the world who just "have" to have a complete base set in their collection? If so, the tier 4 cards are going to be ridiculously expensive in the distant future, in my opinion. Collecting marvel cards is a very niche thing....obviously much more so than than say baseball or gaming cards, so it's hard to say. But at least from my experiences as a seller on ebay, I am amazed how many different and new people I am selling marvel cards to...many of these people are probably like me, having grown up collecting them in the 90s, and now rediscovering them. In any case, I imagine there being more than 99 serious marvel collectors out there, with new ones coming in as well.
Old 05-21-2017, 10:32 PM   #3492 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynaEtch View Post
Can definitely see there being set collectors for these. Also keep in mind anything low numbered associated with 2016 MM seems to be on fire as of late, and these are numbered /15.

As a side note, I'm noticing even the non-auto buybacks are gaining some traction. I am unsure of how many of each were produced..would be interesting if this could be calculated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By my estimates the regular buyback set was approx /99.
This was based on looking at the distribution of the cards and comparing it to known serially numbered cards on the epacks website when it was at its peak. With a sample size of over 100k cards it was a good way to estimate.
It's definately a sleeper set.

Similarly you could see the Gold signature T4's were comparable to the what if T4's at /50. They were def much rarer than the base T4.
merwase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 10:40 PM   #3493 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by merwase View Post
By my estimates the regular buyback set was approx /99.
This was based on looking at the distribution of the cards and comparing it to known serially numbered cards on the epacks website when it was at its peak. With a sample size of over 100k cards it was a good way to estimate.
It's definately a sleeper set.

Similarly you could see the Gold signature T4's were comparable to the what if T4's at /50. They were def much rarer than the base T4.
Interesting info, thanks. If regular buybacks are only /99, that confirms my suspicion of them being more rare than probably most people think.
Old 05-22-2017, 04:30 PM   #3494 (permalink)

If there were a 1,000 cases x 12 boxes per case = 12,000 boxes.

They were 1 per box. So est. about 12,000 made. 12,000/99=121 of each

I do think some of them had to be short printed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynaEtch View Post
Interesting info, thanks. If regular buybacks are only /99, that confirms my suspicion of them being more rare than probably most people think.
sfgiants4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 09:48 PM   #3495 (permalink)

Totally up to each individual collector, but personally, I include the signed cards into how many is available. For instance, The top tier What If cards are XX/50, well I would say there is XX/60 if you include the 10 signed top tier What If cards.

I have a complete base set of buybacks with at least 5 signed in there and I have a complete What If set with the top tier all being signed XX/10. I wasn't about to pay crazy prices for signed low tier What If cards, so I thought this was a good compromise. Looks like I made the right choice going off of what I am seeing the normal XX/50 cards going for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfgiants4life View Post
If there were a 1,000 cases x 12 boxes per case = 12,000 boxes.

They were 1 per box. So est. about 12,000 made. 12,000/99=121 of each

I do think some of them had to be short printed.
humpdz is offline   Reply With Quote