Blowout Cards Forums
super sox

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2015, 10:34 PM   #101 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
I always hope I'll stumble across one of the original Jusko paintings used for those 1992 cards... Who knows what happened to them? How much they would cost? Certainly outside of my budget.
Joe Jusko Marvel Masterpieces Trading Card Invisible Girl Original | Lot #11537 | Heritage Auctions
justice41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 10:41 PM   #102 (permalink)
Banned

Keep an eye on Heritage auctions and feebay. I've seen em come up here and there. The Invisible woman sold for just under 600. not bad for a Jusko painting. The Psylocke one sold for 1300 or so still not bad.
Old 01-03-2015, 10:52 PM   #103 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to FlashKV0785

Quote:
Originally Posted by justice41 View Post
Keep an eye on Heritage auctions and feebay. I've seen em come up here and there. The Invisible woman sold for just under 600. not bad for a Jusko painting. The Psylocke one sold for 1300 or so still not bad.
Are there any active? How do I search for them? (keywords?)

Last edited by FlashKV0785; 01-03-2015 at 10:54 PM.
FlashKV0785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 11:55 PM   #104 (permalink)
Banned

None active and you need to register on the site to see prices and more adult material. I go through that site at least once a month. I bought a few Conan newspaper comic strips and a comic page or two from there. Can search by name in the comics and comics art section in the pop down menu.
Check this auction out. Hulk 180 first wolverine sold for 625 grand.
Herb Trimpe and Jack Abel The Incredible Hulk #180 Final Page 32: | Lot #92191 | Heritage Auctions

Last edited by justice41; 01-04-2015 at 12:05 AM.
Old 01-04-2015, 04:01 AM   #105 (permalink)

UPDATE: Heard a rumor UD is delaying this set purposely because 14' Premier flopped for sales. Apparently waiting for more of the premier stock to go before masterpiece comes out. Source: LCS talking to UD employee.
Old 01-04-2015, 05:16 AM   #106 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashKV0785 View Post
UPDATE: Heard a rumor UD is delaying this set purposely because 14' Premier flopped for sales. Apparently waiting for more of the premier stock to go before masterpiece comes out. Source: LCS talking to UD employee.
It's really pretty easy to see what's going on with this set. First, Joe Jusko has a deviantart page where he said he hoped to be done with just the original base card art by January. Then, there was the internal note from UD that said July was the tentative release date. It's not like this is delayed as both of these updates are months old at this point.
Old 01-04-2015, 08:34 AM   #107 (permalink)

Quote:
The MP2014 release was botched in a number of ways:

1) overproduced with a higher production run than MP2012
2) short deadline for artists lead to rushed art in a "premium" product.
3) dealers selling* boxes at inflated prices at release ($275+ when ~$200 was the release price for MP2012.

* or tried to sell at least, as the sell through of MP2014 was pretty slow.

At any rate, I'm glad they are not rushing the MMJusko release date.
finfangfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 09:14 AM   #108 (permalink)

Quote:
There's always a LCS who seems to have the inside scoop.

2014 Premier likely sold out from the manufacturer. Distributors and dealers saw $$$$ from the last set and priced it too high out of the gate, and that's where the stock is sitting.
Old 01-04-2015, 11:41 AM   #109 (permalink)

Quote:
$600 is a steal when you consider the currenet market price on original trading card artwork for even non-licensed sets. The range is pretty crazy, going from something like $50 to $500 depending on stage, size, artist, etc... Nonetheless getting a finished published piece from such a historic set is absolutely crazy at that price.

Thanks Roy
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 02:38 PM   #110 (permalink)

Quote:
The Invisible Woman did go cheap, but that was also 2008. The Psylocke I bought and I paid well over $1300 for it because I view it as the top tier in that set. Others have broke over $3000 as well such as Gambit. I would imagine if the Invisible Woman were auctioned today it would get around $1200.

Original artwork from the 90s is getting real popular which makes sense considering the legendary sets that were released........I am super stoked about Jusko's new set and I hope they put in a lot of retro throwback into it.

Last edited by humpdz; 01-04-2015 at 08:13 PM.
humpdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 02:48 PM   #111 (permalink)

DO you think all the original art from the 1992-1994 sets still exist somewhere? or were discarded?

Last edited by FlashKV0785; 01-04-2015 at 02:50 PM.
FlashKV0785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 03:51 PM   #112 (permalink)

Marvel Masterpiece original Card art is out there tough to get ahold of as collectors cherish the stuff

Here is a link to 2 cards I own

Marvel Masterpiece - Thomas FISH's Original Comic Art Gallery at ComicArtFans.com
comicbookjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 05:11 PM   #113 (permalink)

Wow you have the deadpools? Man i'm jealous! Are you the guy UD was gleaming about having all the deadpool stuff?
Old 01-04-2015, 06:55 PM   #114 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by comicbookjunkie View Post
Marvel Masterpiece original Card art is out there tough to get ahold of as collectors cherish the stuff

Here is a link to 2 cards I own

Marvel Masterpiece - Thomas FISH's Original Comic Art Gallery at ComicArtFans.com
Do you own the original paintings? I only see the cards in the link.
Old 01-04-2015, 06:57 PM   #115 (permalink)
Banned

I saw the original Invisible woman auction and was tempted but I have a firm price I'll pay for any art and never go above it so I passed on it and many other stuff on HA. I prefer HA to feebay but feebay does have a quicker turnaround.
Old 01-04-2015, 07:50 PM   #116 (permalink)

Quote:
DO you think all the original art from the 1992-1994 sets still exist somewhere? or were discarded?
As far as I know all the artists received their originals back.

1992 MM - I am pretty sure the whole set or at least 90% was sold off together before anyone realized how popular the set was going to be. I picked up the Psylocke from the Gareb Shamus Modern Masterworks Collection. There's probably 20+ pieces on comicartfans.

1993 MM - I went through contacting most of the artists on this set and all of them sold their originals ages ago. I think Julie Bell still has 1 or 2 available.

1994 MM - The Hildebrandt brother set still has many pieces available on the below website that's ran by one of their wives:

Spiderwebart Gallery | Comic art sketches, paintings, and prints | Greg Hildebrandt, Tim Hildebrandt, Brothers Hildebrandt

They also have a few original pieces by other artists like Lou Harrison from the Ultra X-Men sets. The pieces they have left are overpriced and have been available for a long time. Be careful in trying to offer a lower price because I got a very rude response when I offered what I still believe I good price for one of the MM94 pieces.

1995 MM - I contacted all the artists in this set looking for specific pieces, but they either already sold them all off or only have a couple left. Nelson DeCastro has a few pieces being sold on the Hildebrandt site.

1996 MM - There's still a fair amount left from the Boris Vallejo/Julie Bell set along with what they did in MM93, X-Men Ultra 95 & X-Men Ultra 96. Their website is:

Imaginistix - Painting & Drawing by Boris Vallejo and Julie Bell

I have dealt with them a few times and every transaction has been awesome. Very nice couple and I plan on buying from them again.

So yeah.......tons of the art for all these sets are uncounted for and are already in private collections. Let's hope that we will eventually see more posted online.

Last edited by humpdz; 01-04-2015 at 08:00 PM.
humpdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 10:38 PM   #117 (permalink)

Thanks for the links... Psylocke at $9000 is a little pricey, but the others at $1200-$1500 don't seem so bad despite they are very unfamiliar characters. Still what I would expect to own any original from that set these days.
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 10:49 PM   #118 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by humpdz View Post
As far as I know all the artists received their originals back.

1992 MM - I am pretty sure the whole set or at least 90% was sold off together before anyone realized how popular the set was going to be. I picked up the Psylocke from the Gareb Shamus Modern Masterworks Collection. There's probably 20+ pieces on comicartfans.

1993 MM - I went through contacting most of the artists on this set and all of them sold their originals ages ago. I think Julie Bell still has 1 or 2 available.

1994 MM - The Hildebrandt brother set still has many pieces available on the below website that's ran by one of their wives:

Spiderwebart Gallery | Comic art sketches, paintings, and prints | Greg Hildebrandt, Tim Hildebrandt, Brothers Hildebrandt

They also have a few original pieces by other artists like Lou Harrison from the Ultra X-Men sets. The pieces they have left are overpriced and have been available for a long time. Be careful in trying to offer a lower price because I got a very rude response when I offered what I still believe I good price for one of the MM94 pieces.

1995 MM - I contacted all the artists in this set looking for specific pieces, but they either already sold them all off or only have a couple left. Nelson DeCastro has a few pieces being sold on the Hildebrandt site.

1996 MM - There's still a fair amount left from the Boris Vallejo/Julie Bell set along with what they did in MM93, X-Men Ultra 95 & X-Men Ultra 96. Their website is:

Imaginistix - Painting & Drawing by Boris Vallejo and Julie Bell

I have dealt with them a few times and every transaction has been awesome. Very nice couple and I plan on buying from them again.

So yeah.......tons of the art for all these sets are uncounted for and are already in private collections. Let's hope that we will eventually see more posted online.

This was amazingly helpful.. Thank you! I do agree though, super expensive on the first link there. I suppose these people aren't highly intelligent. Leaving something sit for 10+ years at 2500 and then it finally sells - is < selling it at 1000 and using that money over the next 9 years to invest/buy/sell other collectibles.

People need to take some entry level business courses :P
Old 01-05-2015, 08:02 AM   #119 (permalink)

Quote:

False.

100% false.
jadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 08:30 AM   #120 (permalink)

Quote:
This was amazingly helpful.. Thank you! I do agree though, super expensive on the first link there. I suppose these people aren't highly intelligent. Leaving something sit for 10+ years at 2500 and then it finally sells - is < selling it at 1000 and using that money over the next 9 years to invest/buy/sell other collectibles.

People need to take some entry level business courses :P
Unless you wanted to enjoy it for those years and then decided to move it later.

As people buying sketches, I'm not sure we can really be super critical of business acumen of collecting artwork.
Old 01-05-2015, 11:55 AM   #121 (permalink)

I'm still waiting.

Thanks for the link with Brothers Hildebrandt art. It is interesting see some original classic artwork use for the trading cards and other stuff.
Old 01-05-2015, 09:48 PM   #122 (permalink)

If you're interested in the new Marvel Masterpieces and have Instagram, look up the hashtag #marvelmasterpieces - there's a ton of sketch cards being posted by some of the artists.

Edit: Or even type the hashtag into Google and set up the search to bring up images from the past 2 months and you'll see a lot of the sketches

Last edited by MMguy; 01-05-2015 at 11:27 PM.
MMguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 10:35 PM   #123 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMguy View Post
If you're interested in the new Marvel Masterpieces and have Instagram, look up the hashtag #marvelmasterpieces - there's a ton of sketch cards being posted by some of the artists.

Edit: Or even type the hashtag into Google and set up the search for to bring up images from the past 2 months and you'll see a lot of the sketches
Totally failing at this Thanks tho!
Old 01-05-2015, 10:39 PM   #124 (permalink)

Quote:
Totally failing at this Thanks tho!
Got it!
Old 01-05-2015, 11:26 PM   #125 (permalink)

Nice - what do you think of the sketch cards so far?