Blowout Cards Forums
March Mandess

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2015, 12:05 AM   #126 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to FlashKV0785

EDIT: Give me a moment, finally checking them out.
Old 01-06-2015, 12:21 AM   #127 (permalink)

Ok.. my honest opinion of what I've seen so far. I'd like to preface this by saying I am a hardcore masterpiece fan, and have SUPER high expectations of this set - especially since it's been delayed. Also, again, these are only my opinions:

1. The sketches are.. ok. I've seen a sandman and thor that look pretty nice - but Jusko is about realism. A bunch of these look not so.. realistic. Too cartoony, not super high quality. So far, I won't be happy if this is a $200.00 set as far as the sketches i've seen are concerned. Maybe a 75$ box ok. That said, there's still a lot to see. I know there are some big names in this set so I can't judge quite yet.

2. I can't get over the cards graphic border. It's just awful. I'd like to know what decision makers/graphic artists were fired at UD after the 2013 retro set, so we can petition to rehire them. Disappointing for me. I'm holding out that Jusko's base set will make the border invisible.

I'm giving myself more hype due to my affinity for masterpiece cards, Jusko, and a new ultra premium set I can pre order (new to the scene again after long hiatus). I do think I need to reset my expectations, though. Aside from Jusko's work, the little i've seen is very underwhelming. Went from wanting to preorder 3 cases to 2.
Old 01-06-2015, 12:42 AM   #128 (permalink)
Banned

There's always Charles halls cards to look for.

justice41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 12:47 AM   #129 (permalink)

Those are gorgeous! That Capt. America! Being inserted?
Old 01-06-2015, 10:05 AM   #130 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashKV0785 View Post
2. I can't get over the cards graphic border. It's just awful. I'd like to know what decision makers/graphic artists were fired at UD after the 2013 retro set, so we can petition to rehire them. Disappointing for me. I'm holding out that Jusko's base set will make the border invisible.
Which cards, the sketch cards? There is hardly any border at all.

I wonder if the artists on Instagram got the approval to show them yet?
Old 01-06-2015, 10:52 AM   #131 (permalink)

Quote:
1. The sketches are.. ok. I've seen a sandman and thor that look pretty nice - but Jusko is about realism. A bunch of these look not so.. realistic. Too cartoony, not super high quality. So far, I won't be happy if this is a $200.00 set as far as the sketches i've seen are concerned. Maybe a 75$ box ok. That said, there's still a lot to see. I know there are some big names in this set so I can't judge quite yet.
Also, Jusko may be about realism, but that doesn't mean everything needs to look like Jusko. We were instructed to use Jusko's imagery as a starting point to create new art in our own styles. UD likely knew what each artist they contacted would bring to the table.
Old 01-06-2015, 11:12 AM   #132 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Those are gorgeous! That Capt. America! Being inserted?
As far as I know yes. I believe UD still marks all of their AP's right on the front. but for more Info maybe contact Charles on his Facebook. He showed a few more but they are either instagram or something else.
All of the Hall cards were works in progress. I've seen the finished cards and they look much better, especially that Hulk.

Last edited by justice41; 01-06-2015 at 11:15 AM.
justice41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 05:00 PM   #133 (permalink)

Quote:
Ok.. my honest opinion of what I've seen so far. I'd like to preface this by saying I am a hardcore masterpiece fan, and have SUPER high expectations of this se
Your expectations are way too high. You are going to be devastated. Also, I haven't heard anything official that leads me to believe this will be an ultra premium $200/box set. However, $75 boxes no longer exist at UD. Most likely looking at $105-$120 MSRP, in my opinion.
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 10:04 PM   #134 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
Your expectations are way too high. You are going to be devastated. Also, I haven't heard anything official that leads me to believe this will be an ultra premium $200/box set. However, $75 boxes no longer exist at UD. Most likely looking at $105-$120 MSRP, in my opinion.
I could do 100 a box, np. For Jusko? All day. I need to have high expectations. Otherwise, what is there to look forward too?
Old 01-06-2015, 11:09 PM   #135 (permalink)

I'd rather be pleasantly surprised than horribly disappointed. That is just me. I'm sure the base card art will be fantastic, and I'm sure we'll see the same mixture of amazing to mediocre sketches that are generally present in these sets. What will make the difference for me are inserts - 3 levels of parallels that vary only by the foil boarder aren't going to cut it for me. I think with Jusko doing all of the work that some kind of pencil rough parallel set, maybe numbered to 10, would have been an incredible idea. Anyway... Here's hoping those guys at UD had some great ideas that we don't know about yet.
Old 01-07-2015, 12:11 AM   #136 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
What will make the difference for me are inserts - 3 levels of parallels that vary only by the foil boarder aren't going to cut it for me.
This. ^^
Old 02-08-2015, 09:02 PM   #137 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by humpdz View Post
The Invisible Woman did go cheap, but that was also 2008. The Psylocke I bought and I paid well over $1300 for it because I view it as the top tier in that set. Others have broke over $3000 as well such as Gambit. I would imagine if the Invisible Woman were auctioned today it would get around $1200.

Original artwork from the 90s is getting real popular which makes sense considering the legendary sets that were released........I am super stoked about Jusko's new set and I hope they put in a lot of retro throwback into it.
Electro went for more than the Gambit and currently hang on the same wall in my living room. Kingpin was mostly trade for a Kraven's Last Hunt page and is relegated to my bed room wall. My friend jokingly tells me to have Vincent D'Onofrio sign it since he's my friend's neighbor and goes to our gym. Some of the lesser characters are tough to move at higher price. There are currently a few pieces available that are grossly overpriced. I will pay extremes for the right characters but won't even pay a few hundred for ones I don't care about.
Mephisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 09:25 PM   #138 (permalink)

Back to the OP.. Does anyone have an update on this set? M Retro 13' grossly overpriced, and MP14 getting boring!
Old 02-12-2015, 10:13 AM   #139 (permalink)

I just waiting for info.
Old 03-02-2015, 04:21 PM   #140 (permalink)

NSU Magazine: Upcoming Releases

November 2015? :'(
Old 03-02-2015, 05:00 PM   #141 (permalink)

On the bright side, at least they aren't rushing the base card art! And the fact there is about a 6 month gap from Retro 2015 is a good move too.

But right, I have been looking forward to this set for a long time. I am sure it will be well worth the wait when it finally hits!
finfangfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 05:54 PM   #142 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMguy View Post
I saw Joe post on Facebook a couple of weeks ago that he had around 30 more paintings to do. I'm sure it will be well worth the wait to see all the new art! I'm excited for this release.
ElainePerna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 08:18 PM   #143 (permalink)

Quote:
Well, I've been waiting since the 90's for another Jusko set. November of this year isn't too far off in the grand scheme of things. As long as it doesn't get cancelled, I'm good.

Looking up this particular set is what led me to this site, and registering. So, hello, everyone!
Cloud Strife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 08:36 PM   #144 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElainePerna View Post
I saw Joe post on Facebook a couple of weeks ago that he had around 30 more paintings to do. I'm sure it will be well worth the wait to see all the new art! I'm excited for this release.
Man - I am REALLY, REALLY hoping the original paintings are insert redemptions. I would buy 30 cases of this product lol.

Really a bummer though have to wait till November. Definitely good to spread out MR 2015 though.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:48 PM   #145 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud Strife View Post
Well, I've been waiting since the 90's for another Jusko set. November of this year isn't too far off in the grand scheme of things. As long as it doesn't get cancelled, I'm good.

Looking up this particular set is what led me to this site, and registering. So, hello, everyone!
Welcome aboard!
finfangfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 08:52 PM   #146 (permalink)

Quote:
Man - I am REALLY, REALLY hoping the original paintings are insert redemptions. I would buy 30 cases of this product lol.
That would be awesome, but I wouldn't get my hopes up if I were you. I'm sure those original paintings are most of Joe's payment.
Old 03-07-2015, 11:39 PM   #147 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElainePerna View Post
Nice. I guess the longer the wait the better in order to save up enough to purchase several of these boxes.
Old 03-19-2015, 04:08 PM   #148 (permalink)

Quote:
Aaaaaaaand now the release date is gone ?_?
Old 03-19-2015, 05:09 PM   #149 (permalink)

WHat? No this year?! ;( someone confirm plz.
Old 05-22-2015, 12:19 PM   #150 (permalink)

Any updates on these bad boys? The cards released so far (CA, Hulk, Thor, Raccoon, etc.) look amazing - I'd hate for this set to be cancelled.