Blowout Cards Forums
New Categories

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2014, 10:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Marvel NOW -- Silver Foil Error Variants Census

I thought it would be cool to get an idea of how many Marvel NOW Silver Foil Error Variants might be out there… so I am starting this separate thread.

As discussed in the main Marvel NOW discussion thread, these variants appear to be an unlisted/unannounced parallel card that Upper Deck randomly inserted into packs (likely as an extra hit in random boxes).

Here are the distinguishing characteristics of the silver foil error variants:

1) The character on the card is glossier than its silver foil counterpart.

2) When you hold the card at an angle, you can see several square indentions above the character name (kind of like the square patterns along the top and bottom of the card, but only indentations...no ink). These indentations are also present in the red foil variants (the hand numbered X/10 cards), but not the standard silver foil parallel cards.

3) The card back is clearly identified as a VARIANT across the top back, and the card is number with a “V” just like the red foil X/10 variants.

Here is a master list of the ones I have spotted either in active or completed auctions, or that someone else has identified:

Ant Man
Black Swan
Black Widow
Cammi
Canonball
Cyclops
Darkhawk
Dragon Man
Emma Frost (x2)
Havok
Hawkeye
Hela
H.E.R.B.I.E. (x2)
Hope
Human Torch
Invisible Woman (x2)
Jean Grey (x2)
Kid Briton
Kitty Pryde
Living Laser
Loki
Massacre
Miss America
Misty Knight
Mr. Fantastic
Nara
Necromancer
Nova
Red Hulk(x2)
Red She Hulk
Rogue
Scarlet Witch
She Hulk
Superior Spider-man (x2)
Thanos
Thing
Thor (young)
Thor (old) (x3)
Valeria Richards

I am guessing that since this variant was unannounced by UD, that quite a few of these variants might have been sold off in the standard silver foil parallel lots... so check through your silver foil parallels and see if you might have an error card or 2!

If you know of any cards that should be added to the list, please feel free to post them in the thread below, and I will update the above master list. I am “ass”uming there are variants for all 100 base cards, but I guess we will see as they start popping up. In post #2, I will post pics of the cards I have already acquired and I will update as I pick up more.

Last edited by finfangfan; 06-25-2014 at 11:20 PM.
finfangfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 10:23 PM   #2 (permalink)

Here are Marvel NOW Silver Foil Error Variants that I have purchased (more on the way):

Ant-Man

Cammi

Cyclops

Darkhawk

Dragon Man

Emma Frost

H.E.R.B.I.E.

Hela

Hope

Human Torch

Invisible Woman (Card 44V)

Jean Grey

Kid Briton

Kitty Pryde

Living Laser

Massacre (Card 62V)

Miss America

Mr. Fantastic

Necromance

Red Hulk

Red She-Hulk

Rogue (Card 83V)

Scarlet Witch

She-Hulk

Thanos

Thor

Valeria Richards

Last edited by finfangfan; 06-07-2014 at 08:09 PM.
Old 03-24-2014, 11:30 AM   #3 (permalink)

Added four more entries to the census in post 1 (Canonball, Havok, Hawkeye, and Loki).

If you know of anymore either post them below or PM me and I will add them to the list.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:42 PM   #4 (permalink)

Someone sent me an email with scans of 18 more silver foil error variants. They mentioned these were pulled all from ONE box! So, it looks like these can come clustered together.

Here are the 18 he pulled:

Cammi
Darkhawk
Dragon Man
Hela
H.E.R.B.I.E.
Hope
Invisible Woman
Jean Grey
Kitty Pryde
Living Laser
Miss America
Necromancer
Red Hulk
Red She Hulk
Scarlet Witch
Thanos
Thor (old)
Valeria Richards
Old 03-27-2014, 01:56 PM   #5 (permalink)

Default Silver variants

Wow, can you imagine that collector's reaction if that box contained 18 Red Variants instead?
80s Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 01:59 PM   #6 (permalink)

I have a Red Hulk error card from the 5 boxes I opened of this stuff.
Old 03-27-2014, 02:16 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s Showtime View Post
Wow, can you imagine that collector's reaction if that box contained 18 Red Variants instead?
From the looks of it, the 18 silver variants are just as good. Selling for about $50 a pop!
Old 03-27-2014, 09:39 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flobert1205 View Post
From the looks of it, the 18 silver variants are just as good. Selling for about $50 a pop!
Price will depend a lot on the character. Just like with the red foil cards, some of the more obscure characters will be tough sells.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:49 PM   #9 (permalink)

Updated the first post to add Ant Man, She Hulk and Misty Knight.

I also updated post 2 to include a 4 card set (Emma Frost, Kid Briton, Mr. Fantastic, and Thor) I recently won on eBay for the low, low price of 99 cents! Not too shabby!

I don't think I am going to go for a master set of this, but it would be cool to pick up the Rocket Raccoon, and maybe complete the FF (need Thing)... please pm me if you find them!
Old 04-08-2014, 08:28 PM   #10 (permalink)

I haven't seen any new Silver Foil Error Variants since my last post.

However, I did update my second post for pics of the 5 error variants I was able to pick up this week:

Dragon Man
Kitty Pryde
Scarlet Witch
She-Hulk
Thanos

I am still looking for Rocket Raccoon! Please let me know if you see one for sale.

Also, if you have pulled an error variant please feel free to post a scan (or send me an IM) and I will update the census in post #1.

Thanks!
Old 05-07-2014, 12:33 PM   #11 (permalink)

Has anyone else come across any more of these? Another Thor (old) was spotted on eBay that brings up the number of that particular card sighted to 3. Now that box prices have come down, I would expect more of these cards to surface. This set looks like a fun box break at the right price.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:13 PM   #12 (permalink)

I just got this bit of insight on the issue from one of the larger eBay casebreakers:

"I didn't get as many as those who ordered later(I think I had about 20 total). What happened is they printed the silver foils and switched the printer to the red foils. They decided to put more silver foils per box and printed more but didn't switch the back. The later cases had a higher quantity than the first printed."

So that at least explains the clustering of them and how some breakers got so many of them and others so few. It looks like it was a true error and not intentional... Still kind of a neat "hidden" insert though!
Old 05-09-2014, 12:14 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by finfangfan View Post
I just got this bit of insight on the issue from one of the larger eBay casebreakers:

"I didn't get as many as those who ordered later(I think I had about 20 total). What happened is they printed the silver foils and switched the printer to the red foils. They decided to put more silver foils per box and printed more but didn't switch the back. The later cases had a higher quantity than the first printed."

So that at least explains the clustering of them and how some breakers got so many of them and others so few. It looks like it was a true error and not intentional... Still kind of a neat "hidden" insert though!
So I wonder if it's the whole set has a Silver Variant?
80s Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 05:00 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s Showtime View Post
So I wonder if it's the whole set has a Silver Variant?
Good question, but I don't know the answer. It probably depends on how they print these out... are all 100 cards on the same sheet? Or only a portion? If it is only a portion, then they might have discovered the error after switching out the first run of error cards and then there would not be an error variant for every card.

At any rate, I will still do my best to update the census as I see (or hear of) new cards. I also encourage others to post their error pulls to this thread so that the census can be updated.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:22 PM   #15 (permalink)

Updated my 1st post to include Nara (who was the lone-error a box breaker found this week after busting 10 cases), and Thing.

I also updated post #2 to include Ant-man (who I picked up a few weeks ago). I have 14 more coming in next week and will update post #2 with images.

Again, if you have pulled any other error variants, or know of any other existing error variants not listed in post #1... please post in this thread or shoot me a PM.

Have a great holiday (in US) weekend!
Old 06-07-2014, 08:07 PM   #16 (permalink)

Updated post #2 to include scans of my 12 new acquisitions (also got 2 duplicates):

Cammi
Darkhawk
H.E.R.B.I.E.
Hela
Hope
Jean Grey
Living Laser
Miss America
Necromancer
Red Hulk
Red She Hulk
Valeria Richards

Still trying to keep track of these. There is another Jean Grey card up on eBay right now (which I added to the card count in post #1). And a Loki and Thor(old) as well, but I think they are the same ones that haven't sold in awhile (i.e. already included in the post #1 totals.

Please let me know if you know of any of these other error variants being pulled, and I will add them to the list.. thanks!