Blowout Cards Forums
Blaster Master

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2014, 01:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 574
Default Return of the Jedi set?

Hi,

Topps has released this image of the box art for an upcoming product. Could it be a ROTJ factory set? Maybe ltd to 2000 boxes? 3D widevision?



Thoughts?

richo
richo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 12:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
Kane1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Puerto Rico
Posts: 515
Default

At first looks like a shoe box.
__________________
Elpereles' Trading Cards
My Store (cards & other items for sale)
http://elpereles.ecrater.com/
My Trading Card Blog http://elperelestradingcards.blogspot.com/
My Pinterest http://www.pinterest.com/elpereles/
Kane1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 06:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
Nicnac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 8,339
Default

Well the 3Di set for RotJ is a year late (the 30th anniversary was last year).

So, I'm hoping it's that as I would like to finish my trilogy set (I have the binder with the other two movies ready to go).
Nicnac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 06:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
natbornkiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: bkNY
Posts: 14,133
Default

mini chrome die cut set









just kidding
__________________
this one goes out to some of the members
http://www.comedycentral.com/videos/index.jhtml?title=dee-dee-dee-song&videoId=72779

:jedi::jedi::jedi:
natbornkiller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 01:35 AM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 68
Default

Intriguing tease. Without knowing the dimensions of the box it's hard to tell but it certainly looks like a widevision set. I may finally get to use up my remaining 6 pocket pages
arek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 06:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
Dewman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 448
Default

Kris Penix said on Facebook that Topps has asked him to do sketches for ROTJ 3D. So it seems that sketch cards will be incorporated, somehow. Have any other artists been solicited for this?
Dewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 07:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 187
Default

I'd love to do some sketches. I did 100 full color ones for Galactic Files 2 but haven't been able to get my foot in the door again... Someone put a word in for me if you're on the set!
scotthouseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 07:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: South Florida
Posts: 1,268
Default

never wait for the invite, crash the party.
justice41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 07:35 PM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
JRCrosby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 424
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewman View Post
Kris Penix said on Facebook that Topps has asked him to do sketches for ROTJ 3D. So it seems that sketch cards will be incorporated, somehow. Have any other artists been solicited for this?
Got the email about sketches a few days ago. I know of a few other artists who lurk here did too.
__________________
https://www.facebook.com/JasonCrosbyIllustration
JRCrosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 07:35 PM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 187
Default

I sent another e-mail before me last post, I never seem to get a response... We'll see...
scotthouseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 07:37 PM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
natbornkiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: bkNY
Posts: 14,133
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRCrosby View Post
Got the email about sketches a few days ago. I know of a few other artists who lurk here did too.
slave girl leia


insert homer drool here
__________________
this one goes out to some of the members
http://www.comedycentral.com/videos/index.jhtml?title=dee-dee-dee-song&videoId=72779

:jedi::jedi::jedi:
natbornkiller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 12:56 PM   #12 (permalink)
Member
 
Dewman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 448
Default

http://m.facebook.com/groups/5357157...52104009667447

Kris Penix posted pictures of sketch blanks he received with Ewok fur embedded in them. He says he has Ewok fur and Sail Barge Sail relic sketch blanks. So we are getting the first ever Star Wars Relic Sketch cards?

Last edited by Dewman; 06-17-2014 at 03:04 PM.
Dewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 02:12 PM   #13 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Eternia
Posts: 44
Default

I did 25 regular sketch cards due to my obligation to Guardians of the Galaxy. I have been posting previews on my personal website:



A shot before I packed them up and shipped them off:


Enjoy
__________________
http://www.richmolinelli.com
Facebook Fan Page - http://www.facebook.com/Rich.A.Molinelli
MankindRam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 02:26 PM   #14 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,752
Default

Damn Rich, those look awesome!
Bryanjs14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 02:27 PM   #15 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Minneapolis MN
Posts: 381
Default

outstanding work here!
DarthRogahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 02:58 PM   #16 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Eternia
Posts: 44
Default

Thanks guys! Hey Bryan long time!

I have 6 Return cards that I'll show closer to release. ALL of the cards you see above are pack inserted...I spent a great amount of time on each card as ROTJ is my favorite movie.
__________________
http://www.richmolinelli.com
Facebook Fan Page - http://www.facebook.com/Rich.A.Molinelli
MankindRam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 03:08 PM   #17 (permalink)
Member
 
Dewman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 448
Default

If this is a box set release, I wonder how the sketch and sketch-relics will be incorporated and how much each set will cost. One sketch with every set and a sketch-relic guaranteed in a case of 12 sets? Set price $75?
Dewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 03:19 PM   #18 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Eternia
Posts: 44
Default

This is a limited release on Toppsshop.com if I'm not mistaken, read that on Facebook.....produced in limited numbers. I don't know anything other than what was in my contract and that was that the set is very limited. I don't know any numbers for the release.
__________________
http://www.richmolinelli.com
Facebook Fan Page - http://www.facebook.com/Rich.A.Molinelli
MankindRam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 04:05 PM   #19 (permalink)
Member
 
Nicnac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 8,339
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MankindRam View Post
This is a limited release on Toppsshop.com if I'm not mistaken, read that on Facebook.....produced in limited numbers. I don't know anything other than what was in my contract and that was that the set is very limited. I don't know any numbers for the release.
If true (/2000), I'm going to be pissed. ANH and ESB were general releases and ESB was even in retail stores.

Unless this is not the 3Di set.
Nicnac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 04:12 PM   #20 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Utah
Posts: 317
Default

I saw some wrk by proctor and zambelli, looks good but I also heard it's a topps shop only release..
daviswr7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 04:37 PM   #21 (permalink)
Member
 
dd316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 5,062
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicnac View Post
If true (/2000), I'm going to be pissed. ANH and ESB were general releases and ESB was even in retail stores.

Unless this is not the 3Di set.
This may have been the only option for getting this set produced, I know people have been clamoring for them to finish off the original trilogy with the 3D sets. Pretty sure this isn't 3Di, just 3D.
__________________
MY ARTWORK - tdastick.deviantart.com
dd316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 04:50 PM   #22 (permalink)
Member
 
Nicnac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 8,339
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd316 View Post
This may have been the only option for getting this set produced, I know people have been clamoring for them to finish off the original trilogy with the 3D sets. Pretty sure this isn't 3Di, just 3D.
3Di / 3D are the same thing at this point.

Empire Strikes Back 3d (2010) was a success for Topps so I don't see a reason to change the format.
Nicnac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 05:03 PM   #23 (permalink)
Member
 
dd316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 5,062
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicnac View Post
Empire Strikes Back 3d (2010) was a success for Topps so I don't see a reason to change the format.
Really? I remember it being not-so-well-received when it came out. I loved it and thought the base set looked fantastic, but nobody likes base sets, even when they're 3D.

If I remember correctly, a lot of folks were up in arms because there wasn't enough value in a box since there was just a single sketch hit (autos were impossible hits), and no inserts, even thought the entire base set itself was like a giant insert set.
__________________
MY ARTWORK - tdastick.deviantart.com

Last edited by dd316; 06-17-2014 at 05:05 PM.
dd316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 05:27 PM   #24 (permalink)
Member
 
Dewman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 448
Default

ESB 3D is the oldest Star Wars product Blowout still readily has cases available of (pretty close to original retail). The sketch blanks had that dark watermark of the tube hallway Luke walks through that was too obtrusive on the sketches. And I think the sketch quality was poor overall. I got Shummed twice in my 8 box case. Autographs were sparse.

Due to low value per box, it wasn't a good performer.


I don't have a problem with the direct market approach if that's the only way to get the set made.

Heck, I'd buy Episode II and III 3-D. Maybe there will be some nostalgia built up by the time the 30th anniversary of those two rolls around to got those sets made.


Question? Should we expect an Episode 7 3-D product? And do we want both a standard and a widevision release?

Last edited by Dewman; 06-17-2014 at 05:36 PM.
Dewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 05:53 PM   #25 (permalink)
Member
 
Nicnac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 8,339
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd316 View Post
Really? I remember it being not-so-well-received when it came out. I loved it and thought the base set looked fantastic, but nobody likes base sets, even when they're 3D.

If I remember correctly, a lot of folks were up in arms because there wasn't enough value in a box since there was just a single sketch hit (autos were impossible hits), and no inserts, even thought the entire base set itself was like a giant insert set.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewman View Post
ESB 3D is the oldest Star Wars product Blowout still readily has cases available of (pretty close to original retail). The sketch blanks had that dark watermark of the tube hallway Luke walks through that was too obtrusive on the sketches. And I think the sketch quality was poor overall. I got Shummed twice in my 8 box case. Autographs were sparse.

Due to low value per box, it wasn't a good performer.


I don't have a problem with the direct market approach if that's the only way to get the set made.

Heck, I'd buy Episode II and III 3-D. Maybe there will be some nostalgia built up by the time the 30th anniversary of those two rolls around to got those sets made.


Question? Should we expect an Episode 7 3-D product? And do we want both a standard and a widevision release?
Hmm okay, I thought it did really well when it was released. Guess not.
Nicnac is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
Copyright 2013, Blowout Cards Inc.