Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2014, 09:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Does a Sketch Card Lose Value if Reprinted?

Does an original sketch card lose value if the artist also sells prints of it?
Old 06-03-2014, 09:37 PM   #2 (permalink)

It's going to be a varied response. For some, it might increase the value. For others, it may make it less desirable. I don't think overall it would have much of an effect, especially if it's just being sold by the artist.

Now if you had the original art that became a base card for a product, it would pretty universally be seen as a more valuable piece.
monkeymcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 09:42 PM   #3 (permalink)

I would think it may be more valuable. More people will see the print, and maybe one of them would like the card to go with it.
Old 06-03-2014, 09:45 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsmallvillelvr View Post
Does an original sketch card lose value if the artist also sells prints of it?
I think for most (if not all) of the licensed sets the artists aren't supposed to make prints of the sketch cards they submit.
finfangfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 09:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by finfangfan View Post
I think for most (if not all) of the licensed sets the artists aren't supposed to make prints of the sketch cards they submit.
Sorry, I didn't mean licensed sets. I'm talking about ACEOs. Specifically these. I was considering getting the original. It doesn't really matter the value, I was just curious if it took away from it that others could get prints of it.

Sugar Fueled Alice in Wonderland Creepy Cute Original Custom ACEO Sketch Card | eBay

Sugar Fueled Alice in Wonderland Cookie Creepy Cute Big Eye ACEO Mini Print | eBay
Old 06-03-2014, 09:59 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by finfangfan View Post
I would also assume that to be a big "no", but I have seen that Charles Hall and other artists sell sketchbooks featuring some of the licensed sketch card work they did, and I fail to see a distinct difference between the two. On the other end of the spectrum, you have artists losing their jobs for doing print card sets of licenses material for sets they have previously done sketch cards on...

Anyway.. Back to the question at hand. I think the original art is always more valuable if its published, and would consider making print cards of the original work as publishing. If its self published that might not be universally accepted, but if its something like the upcoming IDW Mars Attacks set or the Gail's Picks insert set from Crypto WoL.. Yeah, I think it would be pretty universally agreed that increases the value of the original. Pretty much just reiterating what Monkey said cuz I like to see my words in print, I guess