Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2014, 10:44 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Topps at SDCC 2014

We will be there, selling cards and a few exclusives, as well as giving away some promos.

Stay tuned, more to reveal next week.

In the meantime, feel free to guess what's coming, make suggestions, comments, criticisms, etc.
alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 11:35 AM   #2 (permalink)

Star wars wacky packages promos would be nice. Even though the set may not be coming out you could still use the existing images.

And Topps should consider a card set focused on Star Wars action figures. Kenner's toyline is the cornerstone of Star Wars merchandise and it would be a chance to target a market segment who don't usually buy cards
arek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 11:50 AM   #3 (permalink)

GPK OS2 Chrome and GPK 2014 S2 are both in the works for later this year. Would be cool if there were promo cards for either of those sets.
Old 06-27-2014, 12:42 PM   #4 (permalink)

Please, please, please DO NOT make the upcoming Return of the Jedi Widevision set a SDCC exclusive! The idea of this being a limited set has me worried.

I get that SDCC is gigantic, but why does Topps usually not have more of a showing at the Philly Non-Sports Show? Many target customers are right there since it is a show dedicated to cards. Sure there is typically stuff for the Wacky/Garbage collectors, but not much else.
Darth Smittyous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 12:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Smittyous View Post
Please, please, please DO NOT make the upcoming Return of the Jedi Widevision set a SDCC exclusive! The idea of this being a limited set has me worried.

I get that SDCC is gigantic, but why does Topps usually not have more of a showing at the Philly Non-Sports Show? Many target customers are right there since it is a show dedicated to cards. Sure there is typically stuff for the Wacky/Garbage collectors, but not much else.
Generally companies set up at huge shows like SDCC to get new customers. . . Setting up at Philly is basically breaking to the choir.
Old 06-27-2014, 01:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

Here are my suggestions:

Have some giveaways, like when you had the Heroes auto raffles?
Doctor who promos
Guest artists doing sketches
Guest signers
galar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 06:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by galar View Post
Here are my suggestions:

Have some giveaways, like when you had the Heroes auto raffles?
Doctor who promos
Guest artists doing sketches
Guest signers
Good suggestions.

There will be promos and giveaways, and we will announce some next week. I am not sure we have the bandwidth to handle artists doing sketches and guest signers-- it was easier for us to undertake in NY when we weren't selling anything (and on our home turf where logistics were easier to manage).

This time, considering the cost of going to the show, booth space, shipping product, etc., we are going to sell lots of product (hopefully) to help pay down the cost. This means not a lot of space to set up an artist or an autograph-er.

Still, if some big artist is in attendance we might consider an appearance. But as my first time setting up at the show I am in uncharted waters-- we have no idea what kind of traffic we'll get, what kind of fan-response, etc. We could wind up with guests but no interest, or we could wind up swamped by customers and fans and struggling to hold back crowds.

Needless to say this will be a big learning experience for me.

And no, the Jedi Widevision is NOT a SDCC exclusive. We are thinking about bringing a handful to sell, but it's still up in the air.
Old 06-27-2014, 08:37 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvin View Post
Good suggestions.

There will be promos and giveaways, and we will announce some next week. I am not sure we have the bandwidth to handle artists doing sketches and guest signers-- it was easier for us to undertake in NY when we weren't selling anything (and on our home turf where logistics were easier to manage).

This time, considering the cost of going to the show, booth space, shipping product, etc., we are going to sell lots of product (hopefully) to help pay down the cost. This means not a lot of space to set up an artist or an autograph-er.

Still, if some big artist is in attendance we might consider an appearance. But as my first time setting up at the show I am in uncharted waters-- we have no idea what kind of traffic we'll get, what kind of fan-response, etc. We could wind up with guests but no interest, or we could wind up swamped by customers and fans and struggling to hold back crowds.

Needless to say this will be a big learning experience for me.

And no, the Jedi Widevision is NOT a SDCC exclusive. We are thinking about bringing a handful to sell, but it's still up in the air.
I've gone to SDCC every year for some time. I'm probably the .1% of the people who go who actually are into cards in addition to the festivities (comics, entertainment, exclusives, etc).

Upper Deck sets up their booth (large in size) to promote more of there gaming sets (Marvel, etc.) and allows kids/people to play in return those people get a promo item (a cape or promo card). This allows the gap to be bridged between cards and the type of entertainment SDCC typically offers.

Panini does it where they just hand out retail packs/retail cards to those passing, there booth is much smaller (about 1/4 the size of UD's), and no one really cares for them. I think they forget the type of people who are at SDCC. Last year they handed out Justin Bieber cards, I mean come on...really. They might as well have not even showed up.

Whatever you choose to do, I'm glad to see you willing to give SDCC a shot but know 99.9% of the crowd doesn't really care for sports cards and won't. Now if Topps promoted there SW Chrome Perspectives (if there was any left that is) now you would be getting those at the Con interested. Use those sets: SW, Doctor Who, and promote those, and leave the sports cards as they won't garner much if any interest at all.

I look forward to meeting you all, and good luck at SDCC.

Last edited by Cisco69; 06-27-2014 at 08:41 PM.
Cisco69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 10:01 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cisco69 View Post
Whatever you choose to do, I'm glad to see you willing to give SDCC a shot but know 99.9% of the crowd doesn't really care for sports cards and won't. Now if Topps promoted there SW Chrome Perspectives (if there was any left that is) now you would be getting those at the Con interested. Use those sets: SW, Doctor Who, and promote those, and leave the sports cards as they won't garner much if any interest at all.

I look forward to meeting you all, and good luck at SDCC.
We're not really bringing anything sports to the show other than a few random boxes because inevitably SOMEONE will ask for baseball cards if we don't bring ANY!

This is really just our way of connecting the fan community; an audience that is our key demographic, and many of whom may not be fully aware of what we do these days. Hopefully we can make some of our diehard fans happy with some exciting promos and exclusives and introduce new fans to our product line.
Old 06-29-2014, 02:20 PM   #10 (permalink)

Old 06-29-2014, 02:32 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvin View Post
Nice, will those be handed out during the con?
Cisco69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 03:34 PM   #12 (permalink)

Wish I could be there
Old 06-29-2014, 07:18 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
Wish I could be there
you and me both Spidey
Old 06-30-2014, 06:22 PM   #14 (permalink)

Topps Returns To SDCC With Garbage Pail Kids Exclusives and Mars Attacks Giveaway | Comic Bastards
Old 07-01-2014, 10:12 AM   #15 (permalink)

I will definitely stop by the booth. My brother will be with me and his name is Conner. I showed him the "Comic Conner" shirt and he loved it. Might be the only Conner you see at Comic Con lol.
bball2026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 11:35 AM   #16 (permalink)

I sure hope we can expect a similar showing at NYCC this year.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:48 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
I sure hope we can expect a similar showing at NYCC this year.
If we do well at SDCC, you can count on it. If we don't...

The fact is, convention-goers in NY don't part easily with their money like they do in San Diego. We'll see. We're not going to make big $$, we just hope to make enough to cover our costs, or close.
Old 07-01-2014, 03:25 PM   #18 (permalink)

USA Today is currently running this as their lead story in their Pop Candy section.

Pop Candy - USATODAY
Old 07-01-2014, 03:56 PM   #19 (permalink)

In my experience, what sells best are con exclusive items, or items that are hard to find. Last year, I heard Upper Deck sold un-inserted sketches as well as boxes. Artbox (while they were still around) had grab bags with unopened boxes, binders, costume and autograph cards that were made only for SDCC.

Basically there needs to be a reason to buy something at a con, instead of ordering it online somewhere else.

The GPK promos are a good start, and I will be sure to pick one up while I am there.
galar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 04:04 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by galar View Post
In my experience, what sells best are con exclusive items, or items that are hard to find. Last year, I heard Upper Deck sold un-inserted sketches as well as boxes. Artbox (while they were still around) had grab bags with unopened boxes, binders, costume and autograph cards that were made only for SDCC.

Basically there needs to be a reason to buy something at a con, instead of ordering it online somewhere else.

The GPK promos are a good start, and I will be sure to pick one up while I am there.
Very true! But even with this considered, con-goers at NY spend a fraction of what they do in San Diego overall-- there's actual stats to back this up.

I think it has a lot to do with demographics and locale. When you're in NY-- whether a local or a visitor-- there's SO much to see and do, you might want to save your money: to see a show, go shopping in Times Square, eat out at a fancy restaurant, take in a Yankee game, visit the landmarks, et. etc etc.

In San Diego, not only is the Comic-Con THE event for that week, but it's the Mecca for Nerd-dom: people save up ALL year for it. We're not quite at that level here in NY just yet. Soon, though.
Old 07-01-2014, 06:06 PM   #21 (permalink)

Well... If I were willing to spend the money it would take to attend SDCC, I would be planning to spend at least $1000 on merch. For my $85 three day pass to NYCC, I spent over $500 at the show. If I recall, you guys weren't selling anything. You guys had a really nice display at NYCC in 2012, but none of the good stuff was for sale. It sounds like you are going to have some good stuff at SDCC.

That said, I agree at least a bit with Galar. I'm not going to spend $50 for a box of GPK Bukimi Kun when I can buy it for $50 online and not have to lug it around with me. If I could get it for a better deal at the con, I would consider it. Other stuff from the Topps store too - especially the binders. Con exclusives are great, especially if they are limited. It would be cool if you did another exclusive GPK card set for NYCC. Since the next set is going to have a superhero theme, I think a nine card set with the superhero 'c' names on the front and a Comic Connor puzzle on the back is an awesome idea. Here is an idea for next year (or NYCC, but that is probably too close to execute) - For whatever Minikins set is new - Have a con exclusive window pack with Comic Connor showing in the window and some mystery minikins inside. I love it. If the price is right, I'd buy a dozen of either without thinking twice about it. It would also be cool to have a limited edition con exclusive GPK comic book (especially with a blank variant cover).
Old 07-01-2014, 06:48 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Well... If I were willing to spend the money it would take to attend SDCC, I would be planning to spend at least $1000 on merch. For my $85 three day pass to NYCC, I spent over $500 at the show. If I recall, you guys weren't selling anything. You guys had a really nice display at NYCC in 2012, but none of the good stuff was for sale. It sounds like you are going to have some good stuff at SDCC.

That said, I agree at least a bit with Galar. I'm not going to spend $50 for a box of GPK Bukimi Kun when I can buy it for $50 online and not have to lug it around with me. If I could get it for a better deal at the con, I would consider it. Other stuff from the Topps store too - especially the binders. Con exclusives are great, especially if they are limited. It would be cool if you did another exclusive GPK card set for NYCC. Since the next set is going to have a superhero theme, I think a nine card set with the superhero 'c' names on the front and a Comic Connor puzzle on the back is an awesome idea. Here is an idea for next year (or NYCC, but that is probably too close to execute) - For whatever Minikins set is new - Have a con exclusive window pack with Comic Connor showing in the window and some mystery minikins inside. I love it. If the price is right, I'd buy a dozen of either without thinking twice about it. It would also be cool to have a limited edition con exclusive GPK comic book (especially with a blank variant cover).
Completely understand your position, but it's the exclusives that we gear for you diehards, while our regular product is aimed at the wider audience who may not already be collecting. Our audience in recent years is based largely on high-spending core collectors. Our appearances at cons is meant to expand that group and introduce our products to more fans.

They are expensive undertakings, and moving forward we've decided that to make it worthwhile we have to at least break even (or close).

See you in New York!
Old 07-05-2014, 12:21 PM   #23 (permalink)

Old 07-05-2014, 04:01 PM   #24 (permalink)

Maybe you could get the Topps Vault guys to let you raffle off a few 1/1 blank backs or other rare-ish nonsports cards from their stash.

BTW: do you know if they ever made blank back Star Wars Chrome cards? I have been waiting, but they haven't popped up yet.
finfangfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 07:15 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by finfangfan View Post
Maybe you could get the Topps Vault guys to let you raffle off a few 1/1 blank backs or other rare-ish nonsports cards from their stash.
The Topps Vault guys will not be there-- wish they were, because that's a good idea-- though a raffle at SDCC might be tough. We're actually in a REALLY prime spot, and crowds can definitely be a problem!