Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2014, 01:44 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Commisions that are not getting done

Guys if you feel like venting because you been waiting for a commission like I have been waiting for almost a year now let it be known.

I have been waiting for 3 cards for almost a year now and i'm still waiting and been passed up because my cards were not as big as a commission like some others.

And the artist already has been paid.

Im just saying its wrong.

its almost not worth even getting aps anymore.

If you been passed up feel free to vent on this thread
bubzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 01:51 AM   #2 (permalink)

Lawsuite time....
CollectorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 01:58 AM   #3 (permalink)

Its not that serious
Old 07-09-2014, 02:03 AM   #4 (permalink)

u could save time and hassle by buying from collector unloading their sketches .. cuz of the headache u are experiencing now ..
(hint see my signature )
ricksam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 03:30 AM   #5 (permalink)

Was the artist up front with you on the time line? Next time if there is a waiting list, offer the artist 10% up front to hold your spot in line. Once your spot in line comes up, pay the balance. If the artist then still continues to put your work off, ask for a full refund.

There's no reason an artist should have your money for over a year without producing any work.
Kyle Babbitt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 06:47 AM   #6 (permalink)

I've been waiting for more than a year on a 10 card commission. The artist told me it would be done within 3 weeks. As much as I like sketch cards, this experience has put a sour taste in my mouth.

http://s1159.photobucket.com/albums/p623/Kingofkings1281/
Kingofkings1281 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 08:43 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubzer View Post
Guys if you feel like venting because you been waiting for a commission like I have been waiting for almost a year now let it be known.

I have been waiting for 3 cards for almost a year now and i'm still waiting and been passed up because my cards were not as big as a commission like some others.

And the artist already has been paid.

Im just saying its wrong.

its almost not worth even getting aps anymore.

If you been passed up feel free to vent on this thread
I've been waiting for a couple years on a full-size commission, so I feel your pain. If you're in regular communication with the artist, then I wouldn't worry. If you send him/her messages and they never get back to you, then I would.
WTB/WTTF Emmanuelle Chriqui Cards: Americana Private Signings #50; Americana Prime Time Stars Signature Material #19; Americana Prime Time Stars Director's Cut Signatures #19A & 19B; 2011 ITG Canadiana Base Cards (all colors); and Leaf Cut Signatures.
pinhead767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 11:02 AM   #8 (permalink)

Default commmisions not getting done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Babbitt View Post
Was the artist up front with you on the time line? Next time if there is a waiting list, offer the artist 10% up front to hold your spot in line. Once your spot in line comes up, pay the balance. If the artist then still continues to put your work off, ask for a full refund.

There's no reason an artist should have your money for over a year without producing any work.

no the artist kept saying it would of been done on this date but never got it done and I actually had 2 friends that got there aps before me buti only mentioned 1 friend. its pretty messed up
Old 07-09-2014, 11:04 AM   #9 (permalink)

Also please try to remember that not all artists operate this way.....

I'm also truly sorry this happened to you...
Old 07-09-2014, 11:05 AM   #10 (permalink)

Default commmisions not getting done

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinhead767 View Post
I've been waiting for a couple years on a full-size commission, so I feel your pain. If you're in regular communication with the artist, then I wouldn't worry. If you send him/her messages and they never get back to you, then I would.
its pretty much garbage as the consumer we are the ones supporting these artists and all they see is $$$$ signs you would think they would have a little bit more respect instead of passin up commissions that should get done first.

instead they will take on a bigger commission and pass yours up
Old 07-09-2014, 11:37 AM   #11 (permalink)

I have commissions that are almost 4 years old that haven't been done
Colm Feore, Idris Elba, Kat Dennings
Chuck Bartowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 11:43 AM   #12 (permalink)

It's the nature of the beast. If you look at any comic book original art forum out there, there's always situations where people wait and wait and wait, sometimes so many years that there's instances where artists have died before fulfilling their commitments.

The only way to tame the beast is to not empower them. Take back the control, and the only way to do that is economic.

Never give a full 100% up front payment without references, meaning instilled confidence it'll be done via peer precedent you know the artist is reliable.

Feel free to offer your own references to an artist, so you're not that flaky buyer who renigs on a deal and leaves them with a rendering that took them hours that they can't resell.

Negotiate the terms. Pricing. Delivery Date. If any up front deposits or payment process, including shipping. You're best off knowing the rules of the game ahead of time so there's no confusion.

Many artists have full time obligations to publishers. Some artists do these commissions as their primary source of income. It varies on how reliable they are. Most are creative folk, not business people, often times even forgetting who paid for what and who requested what. It's in your best interest to keep everything documented and straddle that line between persistent and pest to remind them when approaching the deadlines.

The whole "lawsuit" thing after the fact is a bad tactic. 1) It may cost you time or money to process it formally; and 2) The artist may say "okay, here's your drawing" and fall asleep at the wheel, rendering you something lackluster quickly to get rid of you.

The bigger threat, and it's not a threat but a fact, is doing what you're doing, by having editorials in the forums and blogs exposing your dissatisfaction. You're helping yourself and the community, but you need to take it the next step and actually "name names." It's not only public shame for the artist, but a cautionary tale that impacts their business, so it's in their best interests to appease you so you can update your story with a happy ending resolution. I've seen many cases where an artist wasn't responding to any emails or communication, then magically once word was posted in the internet, they suddenly got out of their cave and started to back peddle and communicate (generally not irate, and mainly full of excuses, but seeking resolution).

There's a lot of good artists who run a smooth operation, sometimes just posting a question about that artist on a forum or searching their name and doing homework helps figure out who's reliable and who's probably not worth pursuing (no matter how much you think you love their work, as there's a thin line between love and hate after you've been taken advantage of, and even when you get the piece it ma provide sour memories)
Stat Monsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 11:44 AM   #13 (permalink)

hey chuck did you already pay the artist, I already paid mine and a lot of the time he don't even return my messages
Old 07-09-2014, 11:45 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Bartowski View Post
I have commissions that are almost 4 years old that haven't been done
Glad to know I'm not the only one waiting multiple years for something.
WTB/WTTF Emmanuelle Chriqui Cards: Americana Private Signings #50; Americana Prime Time Stars Signature Material #19; Americana Prime Time Stars Director's Cut Signatures #19A & 19B; 2011 ITG Canadiana Base Cards (all colors); and Leaf Cut Signatures.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:52 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubzer View Post
hey chuck did you already pay the artist, I already paid mine and a lot of the time he don't even return my messages
Yep...I have around $600 or $700 still tied up although some of that money hasn't been tied up for 4 years.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:54 AM   #16 (permalink)

Yeah. I've got $500 tied up in the commission I'm waiting on, but I knew when I signed up it'd be a long wait. I just didn't know it would be this long. But, he did send me a Facebook message with a rough sketch of the commission, so maybe it'll get done before the end of the year.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:56 AM   #17 (permalink)

There is absolutely no excuse for a commission to take that long, or for the artist to be unresponsive. As a fellow artist, this angers me to no end.

One piece of advice that I can offer is to never pay 100% upfront if you can help it. I have a personal policy whereby, if someone commissions me to do work that is over $50, I require only a 50% down payment so that I can start on the work. I think that, if more artists did things this way, it would show the customers that we truly care about getting the work done and that we're not out for just a quick cash grab. Plus, it motivates us to actually finish the work in a diligent manner so that we can get the remaining 50% of what is owed.

I've seen on Blowout, as well as some other forums, people talking about going months and years without responses from artists. This is absolutely ridiculous and the artists should absolutely be outed and shamed for this.

I am currently accepting requests for sketch card commissions.
jrosales is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 12:08 PM   #18 (permalink)

Oh I'm not worried about my stuff...whenever I contact to get an update I get a response...that's all I care about.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:11 PM   #19 (permalink)

I gave someone a baseball at a convention to do a commission for me, even paid them full price. They ran out of time so they took the baseball with them.

That was 5+ years ago ... and the artist (and his so called wife/manager) denies ever getting it from me to a point where she would publicly argue with me when I see them at shows ...

This soured me away from getting commissions done from people I haven't used before.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:15 PM   #20 (permalink)

I see these threads from time to time and was always curious why people don't ever say who the artist is?
kerg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 12:19 PM   #21 (permalink)

I've had them take longer than expected, I guess. I think I align more with Chuck's response. So long as they keep in contact, and can give me a legit update, I'm totally okay. On the other hand, I've never had any of them take more than about 6 months in total time, start to receiving. Now that I think about it, the only two times I've even had issues where I had to really push and pry for results was with the same artist. Amazingly, this last time, the art HAD BEEN DONE FOR OVER A MONTH and the artist kept stating it had been shipped when it hadn't. That... I just don't even comprehend.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:31 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Bartowski View Post
Oh I'm not worried about my stuff...whenever I contact to get an update I get a response...that's all I care about.
Same here. As long as they keep in touch with more or a responsive to my communication, I don't worry about it. Plus, that $500 commission was an anomaly. I don't usually have that kind of money laying around, but this was a grail artist. Usually I don't commission for amounts that I can't afford to chalk up to a life lesson if the work never gets done.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:47 PM   #23 (permalink)

I waited 3 years for a few once. I did have to finally get a little nasty with the artist, but they got done and the quality was great.
Ty Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 01:30 PM   #24 (permalink)

Not to be completely ironic, but these threads are starting to put me off commissions.

They always end up the equivalent of #yesallcollectors and #notallartists with, honestly, a lot less dire implication than the feminist dialogue I'm comparing it to. The collectors are compelled to rehash their worst experiences, the artists are compelled to "But *I* don't do that" like it makes them a special minority. I've done that too, but I'm kind of over it. In reality, I don't see anything good coming of the vague rants. If the commissioners actually wanted tips and input instead of confirmation that their experience warranted never commissioning anyone ever again there would be a purpose. If they named the names, there would be a purpose. But without that it's just a spawning ground for negativity... riling the regulars up again and scaring the new collectors and putting the artists on the defensive edge.

The reality is that there are hundreds of sketch card artists and if names were named I think we'd find a dozen, maybe two dozen, artists were the biggest offenders over the *years*. I think we'd also find that if commissioners were a little more proactive - and less willing to take the risk just because they really liked that particular artist with the not so stellar reputation - there'd be less of this. When people ask me about commissions they inevitably ask about prices and sometimes "turnaround". *I* am the one who initiates the discussion of my work load, possible complications, lag time and average time once actually started (because they're two different things). If I'm worried I might get hung up on something like costumes I ask for them to find me references, since they're the ones who know which they're looking for. I give them a list of all the ways they can contact me, so they don't feel as though I can just up and disappear on them. I provide a list, that I endeavor to keep up to date, of exactly what my commitments are and what I'm working on at any given time. And on and on... I think I'd be impressed if I wasn't the one to broach even one of those telling considerations. And, obviously, that's beside the fact that I don't take payment up front, because that's actually for me and not them.

That's not to say I'm not sympathetic. There's no good excuse and those artists are completely in the wrong. But as a "but *I* don't do that" artist who also frequents all the various places the hobby is discussed... what I read is - we want your best effort, always, we want you to respect your craft, we want you to treat art as a business, we want you to be professional and court us as customers... but we assume art is just a side job or hobby, we can wait it out and get that 4+ hour card for $30 or less aaand we got screwed by someone else so we won't be giving you money, ever, either, no matter which hoops and what effort.

So that's where I am on this subject now, after four years of the rehashing.
Old 07-09-2014, 01:57 PM   #25 (permalink)

I agree here, without naming names, this thread is just full of vague negativity.

We have a commission feedback thread HERE.

I think these types of post should be centralized to that thread and should be naming the accused. This also gives the artist (assuming they are on the forums) the ability to post their side of the story...there is always 2 sides of every story.
Mystafet is online now   Reply With Quote