Blowout Cards Forums
eBay Front Page (card ed)

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2014, 01:09 PM   #26 (permalink)

rr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane1 View Post
Maybe Rittenhouse needs to make limited "gem" cards like Upper Deck. Just a lot copy-paste artwork, but making the cards "limited".
Rittenhouse has incorporated the limited parallels, they just haven't been as successful as UD. I give them credit for listening to consumers and trying to make positive changes. For whatever reason, everything they put out just seems so formulaic. Somehow UDs efforts just seem more creative and appealing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gst177 View Post
I m not so sure that the big breakers dropped out from this release by choice. When my distributor called this time for orders on this back a couple months back, I told him I am probably going to skip the product this time around. While I dont open 50+ classes like the big breakers do, i still open 9 cases per release up until this point.

I was told by the distributor not to worry about the biggest breaker of them all. Not going to mention his name but we all know who it is. The distributor representative said Steve will no longer sell Marvel products to the big breaker direct. Steve however cant control who he buys secondary from. He said Steve has seen how his products pricing has been affected by them.

Again, this is just what I was told by a distributor and heard from one other source while I stopped by Frank and Sons on my way down to Comic Con.

Has anyone else heard anything similar to this?
I hadn't heard that, but... He is not the only one and I know the others weren't forced out. They were just tired of losing money. Bigger (18+) breakers started dropping out after the Greatest Battles release. I think the losses on that set were more than they could handle.

My thoughts are that without those monster breakers, the RA Marvel releases will go the same way as the CZE DC releases. Prices will keep dropping off until prices bottom out around $300-$350/cs. The supply is just much greater than the demand, plain and simple.
Old 07-26-2014, 02:47 PM   #27 (permalink)

The latest release also has several cut comic panel cards that are similar to what UD has done on several recent Marvel releases.
finfangfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 04:25 PM   #28 (permalink)

I have been thinking about this for the last couple days now. It's both good and bad. On one hand, it severely limits the amount of sketches hitting an already overflowing market. This may be a good thing if it happens for a few products worth of releases. Yes, I know that totally stinks for some of the artists. On the other hand, a lot of product will get absorbed and may help down the road as prices may finally start to get back where they should be. It's absolutely crazy that a top end artist hit from a Rittenhouse marvel product won't even cover your box cost anymore. Hopefully, it will also cause them to limit production a bit which, as every collector has seen in the past, can be a very welcome surprise to bring people back into the market again.
Old 07-26-2014, 05:16 PM   #29 (permalink)

Personally, I'm pretty disappointed with this release. Easily worst set since Marvel Greatest Battles, imo (probably top5 worst Marvel Rittenhouse sets). Mean no disrespect to the artists just so much fluff and with the saturation the box values seem to be more in the $35 range. Went through MANY pages of sketches on the personal site of one if not the biggest case breaker this round and saw maybe 2 sketches that I kinda liked... sad.

Last edited by BHotz; 07-26-2014 at 05:22 PM.
BHotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 05:17 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabzy28 View Post
I have been thinking about this for the last couple days now. It's both good and bad. On one hand, it severely limits the amount of sketches hitting an already overflowing market. This may be a good thing if it happens for a few products worth of releases. Yes, I know that totally stinks for some of the artists. On the other hand, a lot of product will get absorbed and may help down the road as prices may finally start to get back where they should be. It's absolutely crazy that a top end artist hit from a Rittenhouse marvel product won't even cover your box cost anymore. Hopefully, it will also cause them to limit production a bit which, as every collector has seen in the past, can be a very welcome surprise to bring people back into the market again.
I actually agree with this 100%. And I guess if I'm going to have to pout about the art getting stuck in boxes, this is the best release for it, for me... My 75th Anniversary APs have been reserved since MU14 hit

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHotz View Post
Personally, I'm pretty disappointed with this release. Easily worst set since Marvel Greatest Battles, imo. Mean no disrespect to the artists just so much fluff and with the saturation the box values seem to be more in the $30 range. Went through MANY pages of sketches from one of the big case breakers and saw maybe 2 sketches that I kinda liked... sad.
You didn't have to edit, you're allowed your opinion. Still, ouch, I know I had at least 7 cards there opening night, 4 the next morning! :P

Last edited by ashelton; 07-26-2014 at 05:22 PM.
ashelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 05:28 PM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashelton View Post
I actually agree with this 100%. And I guess if I'm going to have to pout about the art getting stuck in boxes, this is the best release for it, for me... My 75th Anniversary APs have been reserved since MU14 hit
I've already got an AP reserved for Divas 2 with one of the artists on it. I decided a bit ago that I'm going to work directly with the artists and put the money I'd otherwise be spending on the product (taking a gamble, unnecessarily) in their pockets. It's reached the tipping point where it's a far better purchasing decision to commission an AP, which is typically a bit higher quality, than spending the money on 3 to 4 boxes. I want to keep my funds in the sketch market so, if this is the way to support it while the companies get a dose of reality, so be it. Congrats on the reservations for all your APs on this release, not that it's surprising -
Old 07-26-2014, 05:48 PM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabzy28 View Post
I've already got an AP reserved for Divas 2 with one of the artists on it. I decided a bit ago that I'm going to work directly with the artists and put the money I'd otherwise be spending on the product (taking a gamble, unnecessarily) in their pockets. It's reached the tipping point where it's a far better purchasing decision to commission an AP, which is typically a bit higher quality, than spending the money on 3 to 4 boxes. I want to keep my funds in the sketch market so, if this is the way to support it while the companies get a dose of reality, so be it. Congrats on the reservations for all your APs on this release, not that it's surprising -
Were there any Rocket Raccoon base cards to chase with this release? Last set had a x/75 Marvel 75th subset card, but I was hoping he'd pop up on more of these. I there were please let me know what card numbers or subsets I should be hunting.
finfangfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 06:21 PM   #33 (permalink)

I did 15 cards for this release.......I'll have 1 AP....
Old 07-26-2014, 07:21 PM   #34 (permalink)

Nabzy I also agree and am optimistic that it will overall help the brand. The missing info here is the cost associated with maintaining the Marvel license. I've been arguing that less is more these days, but can a company afford to maintain the license without all the mass releases. Another thing I've been pondering... And this is pure speculation with absolutely zero basis, is DD2 being squeezed out in December because RA is not planning to renew their licensing agreement?
Old 07-26-2014, 07:33 PM   #35 (permalink)

I just think, in general, the products need to be more limited. Perceived value begins with the effort it takes to acquire something. 8k-9k boxes is obviously way too much. Perhaps now that 50% of the entire product run wasn't sold between a few accounts, they'll realize that. It seems they have, if what was posted earlier has some basis in truth. The perfect example will be MP2. $300/box sketch product. It'll sell because of perceived scarcity, that's it. I mean, all these companies have to do is look at what's successful in the sports cards market. UD did it. I know Rittenhouse doesn't exactly have that kind of in-house expertise but, c'mon, there are many approaches that are more attractive options than the same thing for the 20th time.
Old 07-27-2014, 04:31 PM   #36 (permalink)

did a few on this as well. 50 regular and 25 doubles.
one rejected card for too much underboobage.

Last edited by justice41; 07-28-2014 at 05:41 PM.
justice41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 04:32 PM   #37 (permalink)

went with a washed out look for the Double cards because they need to be washed away. The double card was a good idea whose time has passed.

Last edited by justice41; 07-27-2014 at 05:36 PM.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:38 PM   #38 (permalink)

some more by me

Attached Thumbnails
Marvel 75th Anniversary - Rittenhouse-10525899_776761905707947_1348621260337371334_n.jpg  
https://www.etsy.com/shop/FrankAKadar
FAKadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 10:41 AM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Rittenhouse has incorporated the limited parallels, they just haven't been as successful as UD. I give them credit for listening to consumers and trying to make positive changes. For whatever reason, everything they put out just seems so formulaic. Somehow UDs efforts just seem more creative and appealing.
As far I saw from Rittenhouse the "Neo" Comic Images. The big problems are:

1) Not creating a "flagship" product.
2) All their products are copy-paste artwork. Some of the cards can be found in different series.
3) They focus to promote its products only based on potential sketch cards included in a box. A lack to promote the rest of the contents. Creating a "dumping" market for their products.
4) Not all products are technically "classic" trading cards. It has a portrait/front, but a lack of a nice back info related to it. For example Marvel Heroes & Villains. Why Cable is fighting Bishop? Why Nick Fury is fighting Ares? Who won or lose?
5) Not promotion or products available outside the "comic" or "non-sport" market. I don't mean become crazy like SkyBox/Fleer flooding KMart, WMart, and other stores with all the products, but it is time to move outside the bubble.

About the artist and sketch cards show in the topic. It is really great artwork. I hope some members here in the forum find and enjoy any of those cards. And companies like Rittenhouse begin to use your abilities to something more than sketch cards.
My Trading Card Blog http://elperelestradingcards.blogspot.com/
My Pinterest http://www.pinterest.com/elpereles/
Kane1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 11:35 AM   #40 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to gst177

It also doesnt help sketch prices when some seller decides to auction off over 9 cases worth of sketches with no name of character or artist. All his auctions were listed as 2014 marvel 75th sketch rittenhose 1-2 and so on. As a seller, why would you do that? Iwas looking at his ending prices and it looks like he averaged 10 dollars a sketch.
gst177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 11:42 AM   #41 (permalink)

I contacted him about that awhile back and he told me he doesn't care and he makes over 150 grand a year selling sketch cards.
Old 07-29-2014, 12:05 PM   #42 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gst177 View Post
It also doesnt help sketch prices when some seller decides to auction off over 9 cases worth of sketches with no name of character or artist. All his auctions were listed as 2014 marvel 75th sketch rittenhose 1-2 and so on. As a seller, why would you do that? Iwas looking at his ending prices and it looks like he averaged 10 dollars a sketch.
He typically only sells what he considers lower end sketches that way. The rest are sold through his store or at conventions.
Old 07-29-2014, 12:35 PM   #43 (permalink)

He opens way more than 9 cases. He just lists his low end stuff on ebay to flip it quick. I have bought several sketches from him but I dont know why. His customer service is poor.
dannyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 03:13 PM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
I don't consider it a factor to kill people's interest in a product. The sketch cards are technically 1:1 collectibles. The value of the sketch cards depends of different factors in special people appreciation of the artwork. Not if someone is selling lots of bulks.

Anyway more easy to get a sketch card than getting a box to get maybe a "bulk" monkey sketch card.
My Trading Card Blog http://elperelestradingcards.blogspot.com/
My Pinterest http://www.pinterest.com/elpereles/
Kane1 is offline   Reply With Quote