Blowout Cards Forums
Baseball Prospect

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2014, 04:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Best non-sport price guide

Just wondering what non-sport price guide is the best to use, if beckett is the bible for sports cards which is it for non-sport.

I have been using Non-Sport Update is it the best one out there
chuck1814us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 04:54 PM   #2 (permalink)

eBay is the new bible
Old 09-20-2014, 06:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

Is it the ONLY one?
cmixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 06:51 PM   #4 (permalink)

Is it not good enough? You can see what people are actually paying for things..
Old 09-20-2014, 07:14 PM   #5 (permalink)

pclinger is correct. ebay is the best way to judge market value on non-sport.
sthoemke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 08:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

ebay is the best way to see how much things are currently selling for, assuming there have been a few sales in the past month or two. For older non-sports cards or rare stuff, it may not be that good.

If you are going with a printed price guide, then yes, I think Non-Sports Update is probably the best.
aggie4ever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 08:23 PM   #7 (permalink)

People still use Beckett? For what? I am searching for 4 cards from 2 specific sets. I borrowed somebody's beckett a little over a year ago and found that the prices I am willing to pay vary from anywhere between 3x to 6x what they "list" for. Completely useless. eBay is the only guide necessary.
Old 09-20-2014, 08:32 PM   #8 (permalink)

I used to buy the Non Sports Update magizine but their prices were too high for values. Its only good if you want a checklist and had some good articles about new products comeing out.
Braves_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 09:11 PM   #9 (permalink)

I agree, ebay is the way to check prices but there are many cards that don't have sales in the last 30-60 days.
Goldenavenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 09:27 PM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to AceGambit3 Send a message via MSN to AceGambit3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldenavenger View Post
I agree, ebay is the way to check prices but there are many cards that don't have sales in the last 30-60 days.
That and idiots ending auctions between 8am-noon, midnight-4am which can skew the real values.
AceGambit3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 09:39 PM   #11 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Jackg1980

I buy from eBay and resell on eBay all the time. eBay is the minimum value.
Old 09-20-2014, 10:26 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceGambit3 View Post
That and idiots ending auctions between 8am-noon, midnight-4am which can skew the real values.
This and then people who want to make you an offer on a card will use this as their baseline for value lol.
Old 09-21-2014, 12:47 AM   #13 (permalink)

Default NSU & Beckett

I actually bought the latest Non-Sport Update today and was pleasantly surprised to see some pricing for Marvel 75th Anniversary listed. The unfortunate thing about their pricing lists is that it isn't very indepth. For example, it'll list the price of an insert set, but none of the individual cards within the insert set. Also, their pricing doesn't seem to be updated very often after their initially listing of products. But I usually just buy the NSU to have something to read and not for the price guide.

As for the Beckett, there's a small section of non-sport card products listed in the Beckett Sport Card Monthly issue that go back a couple of years. Again, after their intial price listing, it doesn't seem to be update that frequently either. Their price ranges (like $2-$5, $10-$25, or even $80-200) are probably close for what some cards sold for the first month after a products release, but by the time readers get those prices on hand to read in print it's close to a month or two old so it's already outdated and the market probably has already moved in either direction closer to the lower or higher price range. If you are on top of the market then you already know what's going and don't need the price guide, but if you're a novice, just realize that prices are lagging and could be much different in current time.

When the Beckett, more so than NSU price guide, is most useful is when something hasn't had a completed auction listed on eBay for 3 months or longer. Although the prices in the magazine might be outdated, it'll give you an idea based on what a particular card once sold. From there, you'll have to determine for yourself if it's a close price representation for that card since it's only a guide.
80s Showtime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 11:55 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceGambit3 View Post
You can't just pick and choose what prices you ignore. I don't disagree that things could be listed differently, but time is far from the only factor that can impact the end price of a listing. I think the quality of the title, images, seller reputation, and number of similar cards listed over the same period all have a greater effect. Anyway, a sale price is a sale price, and when determining values you have to consider the highs and lows. You could go through the trouble of statistically eliminating outliers, but any good statistician would tell you that the relatively small samples size of these high end cards doesn't warrant elimination of data points unless they are way out of range.

Anyway... Overall ebay is the best source for current stuff and the NSU is useful for older sets that don't commonly pop up on ebay any longer. Although, ultimately, if you are planning to buy or sell on ebay, the NSU price is meaningless.
Old 09-21-2014, 03:18 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
You can't just pick and choose what prices you ignore. I don't disagree that things could be listed differently, but time is far from the only factor that can impact the end price of a listing. I think the quality of the title, images, seller reputation, and number of similar cards listed over the same period all have a greater effect. Anyway, a sale price is a sale price, and when determining values you have to consider the highs and lows. You could go through the trouble of statistically eliminating outliers, but any good statistician would tell you that the relatively small samples size of these high end cards doesn't warrant elimination of data points unless they are way out of range.

Anyway... Overall ebay is the best source for current stuff and the NSU is useful for older sets that don't commonly pop up on ebay any longer. Although, ultimately, if you are planning to buy or sell on ebay, the NSU price is meaningless.
Absolutely. It's eBay policy to give prime search placement for Top Rated Sellers. I search for certain cards all the time. There are many times that certain ones will not show up at all in one search and show up later in the day in the same search - or they're placed in the "similar items" results at the very bottom of your original search page results. eBay certainly influences the results of auctions from sellers who don't list a lot. Say, like somebody who picks up a box of Guardians of the Galaxy and lists the Chris Pratt auto/memorabilia they pulled and it goes for $100 less than it should.
Old 09-21-2014, 03:29 PM   #16 (permalink)

I think the power sellers might get listed higher if you search "best match", but not any of the other ways searches are sorted. I always default to newly listed, and have never noticed the "small guys" listings being ignored.
finfangfan is online now   Reply With Quote