Blowout Cards Forums
2014 holiday shipping promo

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2014, 06:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default I Love Cards

Lol. I love this hobby so much. I just wanted to talk about it. when I was little I loved collecting Pokemon and yugioh cards. But I never really liked to play the games. Just trade and collect. So a few years ago, around 2007, when I discovered Smallville cards, I was so excited. I just got the base sets mainly, but I loved them. Every once in awhile I'd get a chase set I liked. And I got one season 6 box. But then up until a few months ago, a bit before I joined here, I hadn't really collected much in a few years. I'd been collecting GetGlue stickers. I have thousands of those. Lol. But then I found this place and have been able to grab some great deals to start building my collection with a bunch of lower end stuff I like. And gradually I've started buying more expensive stuff. I get a little carried away sometimes tho! It's hard not to snatch up all the great deals you see! But I feel I've built a pretty solid collection in the past few months. And opening card packs is like my fave thing ever. It has been since I was little. When I stopped collecting Pokemon but my little brother still was, I'd always ask if I could just open the packs! Lol. You start really slow and slide the cards up one at a time to see if there was a star in the corner (meaning it was rare), it was magical. My face still lights up every time I get a package in the mail or I get to open packs. It's a beautiful thing, and more people really should be into it! I still have a long list of cards I need (which reminds me I need to update my wants list on here) and I still haven't even gotten all the chase sets for Smallville, but there's always something to chase, something to find! It's awesome! If you took the time to read this, thanks. Hope it wasn't too boring! Keep on, keepin on, and love those cards! Peace!

Last edited by jjsmallvillelvr; 10-27-2014 at 06:47 PM.
jjsmallvillelvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 06:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

I'd just given in and stuck a bunch of my hoarded GetGlue stickers (because I could just get more, right?) when they announced they weren't doing stickers anymore. So annoying! I deleted the apps and closed the browser window on it the day after. TVguide's app is soooo much better for any remaining usefulness GetGlue might've had.

I wish my sister collected cards so that I could open stuff, too. I'd love to open boxes, but even the sets that would maybe interest me would just end up in folders with my old '90s era cards and I don't really have the room. So I try to ignore that urge and stick to my current collections... which are also pointless space eaters, really.
Old 10-27-2014, 07:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashelton View Post
I'd just given in and stuck a bunch of my hoarded GetGlue stickers (because I could just get more, right?) when they announced they weren't doing stickers anymore. So annoying! I deleted the apps and closed the browser window on it the day after. TVguide's app is soooo much better for any remaining usefulness GetGlue might've had.

I wish my sister collected cards so that I could open stuff, too. I'd love to open boxes, but even the sets that would maybe interest me would just end up in folders with my old '90s era cards and I don't really have the room. So I try to ignore that urge and stick to my current collections... which are also pointless space eaters, really.
Lol, all of my collections are pointless space eaters as well. I think all collections are. But they give people joy. Cards are pretty much all I'm focusing on ATM. But I've got my comics, my figures, my tv memorabilia, my penguins, my donut charms, my Getglue stickers, my eraser figures. My DVDs, posters, I collect everything lol. It's sad. But cards are great and have been a more focused, organized collection than a lot of others. Ps. Tvtag(old Getglue) is pretty useless. Ugh. I was almost relieved tho. It was becoming more work than fun, and the getgluestickers forum crashed and no one fixed it, so we couldn't even talk and trade anymore tho it was ALOT cheaper.

Last edited by jjsmallvillelvr; 10-27-2014 at 07:04 PM.
Old 10-27-2014, 07:19 PM   #4 (permalink)

I love this thread! I had to look up GetGlued stickers because I had no idea what you two were talking about

I think these small print sets, like 5FINITY and Perna Studios, are like roller coaster rides. There is so much build-up and anticipation as I wait for months from the time the set is announced to pre-sale to delivery. Once I receive the set its only a couple thrilling minutes to open all the packs. Afterwards I'm either absolutely ecstatic and anticipating the next break even more, or sick to my stomach about how much I spent on what is sitting in front of me at that moment.

The same goes for boxes and cases of more traditional releases, but to a lesser extent. I'm usually pretty good at pacing myself when I open them to enjoy every pack and find. Then, depending on the size of the purchase, there is still hours of sorting and organizing. If its a good set, there is another wave of fun going through the cards, reading the backs, etc...
Old 10-27-2014, 07:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

I used to get the anticipation just from participating on sets. Watching everyone be excited and then getting the reaction when the cards are pulled, not to mention geeking at some of the asking prices on eBay. Unfortunately, not so much anymore. It's been a long while since I've been on a release that people were vocal about. Well, in a good way, at least. And worse, the last two or three sets I actually had to stop reading threads about because they were so frustrating and disheartening before the sets released... and just plain dead, after. Makes an artist reevaluate, that's for sure.

I've narrowed down my habits in the past few years. Now I mostly collect characters. Superboy, Roy Harper (Arsenal/Speedy/Red Arrow), Kyle Rayner (Green Lantern, Blue Lantern, White Lantern, Ion) and Nightcrawler. Licensed products only, with a main focus on figures and statues. NOT sketch cards Though I've not had much money lately so I'm behind on the bigger ticket items. For art, I only collect my original characters, especially when I have time for trades... aaand I've been customizing Barbies of my characters for over a year, but they've been on hold for a few months because I ran out of easy stuff and then psyched myself out at some of the harder more permanent customizations.
Old 10-28-2014, 01:52 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
I love this thread! I had to look up GetGlued stickers because I had no idea what you two were talking about

I think these small print sets, like 5FINITY and Perna Studios, are like roller coaster rides. There is so much build-up and anticipation as I wait for months from the time the set is announced to pre-sale to delivery. Once I receive the set its only a couple thrilling minutes to open all the packs. Afterwards I'm either absolutely ecstatic and anticipating the next break even more, or sick to my stomach about how much I spent on what is sitting in front of me at that moment.

The same goes for boxes and cases of more traditional releases, but to a lesser extent. I'm usually pretty good at pacing myself when I open them to enjoy every pack and find. Then, depending on the size of the purchase, there is still hours of sorting and organizing. If its a good set, there is another wave of fun going through the cards, reading the backs, etc...
Lol Getglue was cool when it was good. But it was quite unorganized and they didn't always send stuff when you ordered. I did it for about 3 years I think. And it wasn't until about the last 7 months that it was active, that they actually efficiently sent your batches. But for the 7 months it was pretty glorious lol. Before that it was still fun. They just had a long run where they were really bad at everything. But after finally getting it together instead of continuing to flourish, they decided to sell it to a competitor who changed the name, made a new app, and stopped sending stickers. So now it's meh.

As for the independent sketch sets, they are awesome! The first set I actually got a pack from was the pernas hallowe'en. Just got one pack, with a pretty sweet sketch, and I nabbed up a couple commissions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashelton View Post
I used to get the anticipation just from participating on sets. Watching everyone be excited and then getting the reaction when the cards are pulled, not to mention geeking at some of the asking prices on eBay. Unfortunately, not so much anymore. It's been a long while since I've been on a release that people were vocal about. Well, in a good way, at least. And worse, the last two or three sets I actually had to stop reading threads about because they were so frustrating and disheartening before the sets released... and just plain dead, after. Makes an artist reevaluate, that's for sure.

I've narrowed down my habits in the past few years. Now I mostly collect characters. Superboy, Roy Harper (Arsenal/Speedy/Red Arrow), Kyle Rayner (Green Lantern, Blue Lantern, White Lantern, Ion) and Nightcrawler. Licensed products only, with a main focus on figures and statues. NOT sketch cards Though I've not had much money lately so I'm behind on the bigger ticket items. For art, I only collect my original characters, especially when I have time for trades... aaand I've been customizing Barbies of my characters for over a year, but they've been on hold for a few months because I ran out of easy stuff and then psyched myself out at some of the harder more permanent customizations.
That's sad. Without all the great artists, we wouldn't have anything to collect! I think voicing your opinions about the sets as a whole is fine, but I always make sure never to directly say anything really bad about any sketches because artists do read stuff, and if I don't like something, them knowing that doesn't help. I may say it's not really my taste or not my favorite, but I try to never say anything specifically negative about a piece on a public forum. Plus even if it's a style I don't like so much, I can appreciate that from an artistic standpoint it's still actually good, or has good qualities, it's just not for me. I think people on the Internet in general need to be more careful about what they say. Very rarely will I say mean or negative things. I did lose it on a blog post about McDonald's monopoly peices tho. These idiots were all posting they'd combine their crap peices with people who had the rare peices and would split the prize...the article was specifically about which peices were rare and worth keeping. Lol. Plus they were posting personal info like emails and phone numbers. I was just like...."idiots...they are all idiots." *facepalm* they were probably...ahem...hopefully like 12. If adults are that dumb I'm worried for us all. Sorry that was uber random. It really irked me. Lol. But yea, admittedly I have not wanted to spend money on the dc new 52 set cuz I've heard sketch quality isn't great. I've seen some good ones. But the price is pretty high still. The WoL is only like $35 right now!
Old 10-28-2014, 12:37 PM   #7 (permalink)

New 52 has recently gone up a bit. I guess inventory is finally running low. It was available around $30/box for a long time. I kinda wish I had taken a shot at 3 or 4 boxes. Sketch quality wasn't great overall, but there were many many great sketches.
Old 11-01-2014, 11:06 PM   #8 (permalink)

I enjoy collecting cards as well. It first started in the early 90s. Mom bought me ta box of Marvel Universe 1990 for my birthday. Flash foward 10 years and I had quite a good collection. Then in 2002 there was a fire in our home and I couldn't save the cards. Sad I know, but there was nothing i could do about it. Flash forward to last year and I met a guy who sold cards. Since then he's been giving me great deals on sets and their subsets.Now I have a card collection that blows my old collection out of the water and it cost me half the price of my old one!

As for sketch cards, I've only got one. I prefer holos and signed cards personally. I appriciate the work that the artists do, I'm just not a fan of the cards personally. It's mainly due to the fact that i can't afford them on my salury.

Last edited by Mcollector; 11-01-2014 at 11:12 PM.
Mcollector is offline   Reply With Quote