Blowout Cards Forums
Super Break

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2014, 02:19 AM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to FlashKV0785
Default New to hobby.. Some help pls?!

Hey Guys,

Good to meet you all! - getting back to my roots and picking back up card collecting. It's the marvel premium sets that pulled me in. I'm ditching vintage video game collecting. Ex 1991-1995 Marvel cards collector here!

I liked the idea of expensive hobby boxes and pulling cool stuff (art, sketch cards, autos, etc). I even liked how some sets were innovative with hits/inserts. Something about the gamble/high price tag pulled me back in...

With that said - where are some great resources for non-sports beginners? I catch on very quick and have the capital to support the hobby.. But outside of The Cardboard Connection and this forum, where should I be? Is there a card pricing site I should be aware of? A trading site? Events/functions like comicon? Best group break places? (still new to this group break thing).

Hook a brotha up!

-Flash

Last edited by FlashKV0785; 12-08-2014 at 02:44 AM.
FlashKV0785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 09:07 AM   #2 (permalink)

Wow, 66 views and nothing from anyone in this forum. You should've spelled a word wrong or posted some information about a set release - you'd have 12 responses from the grammar police and been corrected 243 times over by now, lol!

Anyway, welcome! There are a few resources for non sports information but, honestly, this is probably the best place that pulls it all together almost immediately from wherever else it might show up. Non Sports Card Forum has good information as well but, again, you'll end up seeing it here pretty quick as many are members over there too.

The older marvel sets seem to be getting more interest due to the success of the films and just general interest in non sports cards overall. You may really like an upcoming Upper Deck set, as it's entirely based on those early Marvel sets. Joe Jusko is doing every base card for Marvel Masterpieces. It should be released around Q2 of 2015 if his post on Deviant Art is accurate.

Unfortunately, the best place for non sports cards seems to be eBay. There are a few larger non sports dealers, but they tend to just set up at a very few shows - Philly non sports show, Chicago and maybe just a handful more - they can chime in with that information.

Group breaks are scarce and you really have to watch that section of the board. They break almost every Benchwarmer product released but not sure if you have interest in that. Pretty sure they did Marvel Premier, though, too.

The card pricing site to be aware of is eBay. If you're looking to buy/sell/trade, use the section of the forum for that - don't post them in these discussion forums and you'll be fine.
Old 12-08-2014, 12:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

Also nslists.com has pretty much every card checklist you could ever need. You can look through the marvel section to find all sets and what's in them! good luck!
jjsmallvillelvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 01:28 PM   #4 (permalink)

You can try Scoundrel for some sketch card news. Actually, looking at some of the older threads there might be a good resource, but you're probably better off here for current news and updates as Scoundrel isn't as activity as it once was.
80s Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 02:19 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashKV0785 View Post
Hey Guys,

Good to meet you all! - getting back to my roots and picking back up card collecting. It's the marvel premium sets that pulled me in. I'm ditching vintage video game collecting. Ex 1991-1995 Marvel cards collector here!

I liked the idea of expensive hobby boxes and pulling cool stuff (art, sketch cards, autos, etc). I even liked how some sets were innovative with hits/inserts. Something about the gamble/high price tag pulled me back in...

With that said - where are some great resources for non-sports beginners? I catch on very quick and have the capital to support the hobby.. But outside of The Cardboard Connection and this forum, where should I be? Is there a card pricing site I should be aware of? A trading site? Events/functions like comicon? Best group break places? (still new to this group break thing).

Hook a brotha up!

-Flash
Those are the two resources I use mostly. Scoundrel isn't that active, and the Nonsportsforum isn't as active as this one either.
WTB/WTTF: Emmanuelle Chriqui Cards: Americana Prime Time Stars Signature Material #19; Americana Prime Time Stars Director's Cut Signatures #19A & 19B; 2011 ITG Canadiana Onyx Base Card; and Leaf Cut Signatures.
pinhead767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 03:12 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashKV0785 View Post
Hey Guys,

Hook a brotha up!

-Flash

be sure to check out webjon.com for some good articles on fakes and scams that you will see while in the hobby
baytowntex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 03:26 PM   #7 (permalink)

Scoundrel Art is still a decent board for sketch cards. Yes, there is much less traffic there than a couple of years ago, but there are still a handful of artists who post previews of their sketch cards there. Plus, I've heard the buy/sale/trade part of the board is still fairly active.

Non-Sport Update's Card Talk board is also a good place for info on upcoming sets. It's also a good place to check out box breaks, since it's easier to find breaks of a particular set due to the way it's set up.

The Non Sports Card Forum is ok, but since most of the people who post there also post here, you won't find too much additional information there. It's also not as active as BO.

Jeff Allender's House of Checklists (nslists.com) is a great resource for older sets, to see the odds for pulling inserts and hits, and for sketch card artist lists, autograph lists, etc.
aggie4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 04:24 PM   #8 (permalink)

What you are going to focus on is pretty important, since 'non-sports' captures a huge variety of cards. Since you said premium Marvel Comic releases, I'd suggest you spend time here, Scoundrel, and Facebook. Scoundrel and Facebook will be better for sketch card previews from artists (of course, you'll have to follow individual artists you enjoy on Facebook).

The big non-sports card shows (Philly followed by Chicago) aren't that big, and all the dealers that set up at the shows are also selling on ebay. If you are most interested in Marvel, definitely follow these guys on ebay: Tim/snoopy, Kevin/cardbud, Jeff/only4auction, stormshadow, and cedarcliffcollectibles. They seem to break Marvel stuff in bulk most often. For other stuff (specifically TV products), there are a lot of other sellers worth following.
Old 12-08-2014, 04:46 PM   #9 (permalink)

I would recommend NSCF but that place seems to be a ghost town. I haven't been able to post or search for months and the help is non-existent.
Nicnac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 05:15 PM   #10 (permalink)

Facebook is a good place to follow certain manufacturers (maybe Twitter, too. Can't say for sure, I don't use it) - many of them update things there before their own websites.
Old 12-09-2014, 04:30 AM   #11 (permalink)

Wow - guys thank you so much. This has been extremely helpful. To answer some questions stated:

My interest is mainly ultra premium marvel decks - but i'm into the hobbit/game of thrones sets as well. I'm just trying to snag some autos from the movies/series sets I watch.

YES! on Joe Jusko. I'll probably buy a case. That's some serious nostalgia. I wonder if it will be a 2015 marvel retro set? (that would tickle my prosty!!)

I'm getting going on the 2013 retro sets - but some of the sellers (even referenced by a member here) are downright overpriced... even with direct offers. I did find a vendor sell me a case at 175/each which I thought reasonable. I don't know any distributors or anything

* bought 1 box of marvel premier, opening with family at Christmas. Really can't get into the idea.. 1 pack, 5 cards + a sketch.. when alot of the sketchs i've seen on Ebay aren't very pretty for 200 bucks! Not to flame the artists, but i'm new to this hobby and if I got some of the ones i've seen on ebay.. i'd be pretty upset. If I got one from NIK - I'd be all in!
Old 12-09-2014, 07:49 AM   #12 (permalink)

The hobby, in general, is moving more toward "premium" (ie "high priced") sets. However, as you have discovered, "premium" doesn't exactly equate to better sketches.

I would be surprised if there wasn't a Retro set in 2015, unless the Jusko set fills that void. It will be interesting to see if there ever is another MP set, but if there is it likely won't hit until 2016.
finfangfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 09:09 AM   #13 (permalink)

If you're interested in sketch card many people post their sketch card collections at sketchcollectors.com
morpheuz31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 01:31 PM   #14 (permalink)

I was also thinking the Joe Jusko set would fit in the "Premium" (Retro, Premier) slot for 2015. Commissioning all the original artwork from Joe is costly and I'm assuming they will be going premium with the inserts on this one. I would be very surprised to see a Retro release also. Retro wasn't sketch-centric like Premier, so releasing a new Retro set every two years would get old fast.

I didn't say those sellers have great prices, just that they break and list a lot of product =P
Old 12-10-2014, 06:45 AM   #15 (permalink)

I was really hoping the Jusko would be a retro Set. Seems like 2012 - premier, 2013 - retro, 2014 - premier.. it would fit right in the seams? I mean, Jusko is a retro artist at this point. They certainly left alot of retro inserts OUT of the 2013 set, so I would have to go with it's a high possibility they did thaat purposely.

By my recent research, it doesn't seem there's a huge market for the 2014 premier. The retro seems to have sold pretty well. I just can't see why Topps wouldn't do it.

My hope is that I can start a fresh set at release, and it's not a 5-card rip off. I enjoy opening all the packs and finding rare inserts.. as opposed to the seemingly high chance i'll be upset over an ugly/rushed sketch and a base falcon/giant man/red skull.
Old 12-10-2014, 07:53 AM   #16 (permalink)

I'm not a sketch follower. So I still prefer the '90s Marvel Cards.
My Trading Card Blog http://elperelestradingcards.blogspot.com/
My Pinterest http://www.pinterest.com/elpereles/
Kane1 is offline   Reply With Quote