Blowout Cards Forums

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2015, 05:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 2015 Star Wars Illustrated: Empire Strikes Back

With less than a month away from release of this product, I haven't heard much about it due to all the talk about Masterwork along with preview info of Chrome Series 2.

I picked up a case of Illustrated ESB for $800, which looks to be the best price out there (that I could find anyway).

I really like the Panoramic sketch cards and Sketchgraphs in this product, but haven't heard about any checklist of which actors signed the Sketchgraphs or even which Artists are in this product.

It looks like they increased the number of hits from 1 to 2 for this product, which is a major plus. Also the Film Cel relics don't look to take up a majority of the hits either.

Based on the prelim numbers I have found about this product it looks like they will/have made about 8,540 boxes

Of the 24 hits in a case here are the averages you should get:
Printing Plates: 0.8
Panorama Sketches: 8
Regular Sketches: 2.8
Artist Autographs: 7
Sketchgraphs: 1.1
Film Cel: 4.2

Also the Gold Parallels of the base should fall about 1.4 per case

Overall the product looks solid, I really love the look of the base cards. It obviously won't be anywhere close to the hit Masterwork or Chrome were, but should be better than Illustrated: New Hope IMO

I would love to hear your thoughts about this product or if you know of any new information regarding this product.
jdhaugh11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 06:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

Really really excited about this product.
mutigers77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 09:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

It's actually no longer less than a month away, but I see your point about lack of interest. Release has been pushed to 4/29. I posted this a few days ago in the other thread but not many are thinking about this one due to the sustained interest in Masterwork
PoPCulture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 10:54 PM   #4 (permalink)

Well there you go, I did not know the release date was pushed back. I am sure Topps is finding it difficult to get the sketch cards back in time to pack due to the quick turnaround from Masterwork.
Old 03-12-2015, 11:36 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoPCulture View Post
It's actually no longer less than a month away, but I see your point about lack of interest. Release has been pushed to 4/29. I posted this a few days ago in the other thread but not many are thinking about this one due to the sustained interest in Masterwork
I think some people are thinking about the set. But it's hard to get too excited by the set if we don't see many sketch previews or any information about the set from Topps. Once information starts getting released, then people will get excited about it.
aggie4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 11:44 PM   #6 (permalink)

I am looking forward to it but I think that it is odd that Topps is putting an update for Chrome2 on its Facebook page just about everyday but they are showing nothing for a product that releases 6 weeks from now.
PoPCulture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 09:51 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoPCulture View Post
I am looking forward to it but I think that it is odd that Topps is putting an update for Chrome2 on its Facebook page just about everyday but they are showing nothing for a product that releases 6 weeks from now.
That is a very good point. Topps Chrome can wait since that is 5 months away. Maybe Topps will cut production so much for Illustrated that it turns out to be amazing! I know wishful thinking, but a boy can dream!
Old 03-13-2015, 12:23 PM   #8 (permalink)

I like ESB so am ordering some, but there are a few red flags about this release. I think it does seem clear that Topps are putting more effort, at least in marketing, in to Masterwork and Chrome 2. I think the difference between the illustrated release and those other two, is that you don't have ridiculously valuable and rare chase cards to go after like triple autos or Ford. The most valuable card will be a very good sketch or maybe a decent sketchagraph of Lando. There isn't a 10k card in the mix, if that makes sense. Maybe this puts some people off like the sports card guys?
richo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 01:36 PM   #9 (permalink)

I'd like this product more if it had 2x sketchagraphs per case instead of just 1 with the tiniest chance at a second.
Cujobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 02:20 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhaugh11 View Post
Well there you go, I did not know the release date was pushed back. I am sure Topps is finding it difficult to get the sketch cards back in time to pack due to the quick turnaround from Masterwork.
I'm still on schedule, so my sketch cards should be turned in on time. I finished 45 panoramic cards and am working on 15 standard-sized sketch cards as we speak.
rmaheras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 02:22 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmaheras View Post
I'm still on schedule, so my sketch cards should be turned in on time. I finished 45 panoramic cards and am working on 15 standard-sized sketch cards as we speak.
@russ,

Did the 3 week delay translate to giving you more time, or is that just for Topps to collate? Just interested on this.

Rich
Old 03-13-2015, 02:51 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmaheras View Post
Russ is that what they sent total? I was told to take my 9 Returns/AP's from the stack. 6 Panoramic and 3 Regular and turn in the other 50. If they sent more disregard but if they didn't you may want to let them know so they can get your AP blanks out schnell.
justice41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 02:51 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by richo View Post
@russ,

Did the 3 week delay translate to giving you more time, or is that just for Topps to collate? Just interested on this.

Rich
Our deadline didn't budge even when we started getting Sketchagraphs after the fact. It's all about choosing wisely
Old 03-13-2015, 03:14 PM   #14 (permalink)

Do we know who made the final sketchagraph list? I know Lando is on there.
Old 03-13-2015, 03:40 PM   #15 (permalink)

Copying from the other thread. But I'm sure you've seen it already richo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewman View Post
Artist Dan Curto posted a picture of a pile of sketchagraph blanks on Facebook with the cards signed. The visible signatures were:

- Billie Dee Williams
- Jay Sanders - Credited as Imperial Pilot in the radio drama
- Paul Hecht - Credited as The Emperor in the radio drama

There were at least 2 other distinct signatures but not enough of the card was showing to tell who they were.
Dewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 03:55 PM   #16 (permalink)

Dan also just posted a pic of a Jeremy Bulloch sketchagraph blank.
Dewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 04:26 PM   #17 (permalink)

I would imagine there would be 8-10 subjects for the Sketchgraphs. I believe there were 8 in series 1.
Old 03-13-2015, 04:27 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by richo View Post
@russ,

Rich
My deadline didn't change -- it's still March 17.
Old 03-13-2015, 04:28 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by justice41 View Post
Russ is that what they sent total? I was told to take my 9 Returns/AP's from the stack. 6 Panoramic and 3 Regular and turn in the other 50. If they sent more disregard but if they didn't you may want to let them know so they can get your AP blanks out schnell.
They sent enough blanks to cover my APs, so I'm good to go.
Old 03-14-2015, 11:36 AM   #20 (permalink)

A large FedEX box just arrived yesterday and it contained THREE sketchagraphs of Jeremy Bulloch. I received the other sketchagraphs last week I think. I think the delay was Topps trying to get all the signer's cards in house and to us. Unfortunately, that didn't translate to more time for artists. Seems this set was kinda forgotten by Topps after Masterworks and them already promoting the next Chrome.
Old 03-14-2015, 01:34 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRCrosby View Post
A large FedEX box just arrived yesterday and it contained THREE sketchagraphs of Jeremy Bulloch. I received the other sketchagraphs last week I think. I think the delay was Topps trying to get all the signer's cards in house and to us. Unfortunately, that didn't translate to more time for artists. Seems this set was kinda forgotten by Topps after Masterworks and them already promoting the next Chrome.
I'm not working on Chrome, so Empire was a nice Star Wars finale for me for awhile. It's also my second most favorite Star Wars film.
Old 03-14-2015, 02:55 PM   #22 (permalink)

I'm almost finished with my ESB Illustrated Cards. Only a few left and they go out monday. Full color on them all so far. Came up with what I think will be cool for a few of the Sketchagraphs especially the Radio voice actors.
Old 03-14-2015, 02:58 PM   #23 (permalink)

Artists: Are you sending back your APs or keeping them? Contract says they should be sent in and they will be returned to you, but I've been hearing about artists having trouble getting their cards back. I'm not even sure mine will be completed in time to send back!
brentley79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 03:08 PM   #24 (permalink)

Looking forward to seeing what people do with the Bulloch's.
Old 03-14-2015, 03:16 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentley79 View Post
Artists: Are you sending back your APs or keeping them? Contract says they should be sent in and they will be returned to you, but I've been hearing about artists having trouble getting their cards back. I'm not even sure mine will be completed in time to send back!
I send nothing back, but I also got permission. So check with Topps. Everyones experience will differ.
I didn't get any Bulloch's Got a Billie Dee though