Blowout Cards Forums
17 mega march

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2015, 08:43 PM   #226 (permalink)

I agree that they've handled this product poorly. It likely wasn't suited for a Walmart exclusive.

The Walmarts I've been to have the starter sets in with cards, but oftentimes the 5 disk packs are hanging on a strip on the corner by the action figures. And still others have had the 5 disks on a Star Wars aisle display near the toy section mixed in with a bunch of other Star Wars stuff.

It just seems like an odd game tbh. I think most parents would scratch their heads at it and just buy SW lego stuff or an action figure. Even those that brought home 1 5 disk pack would probably have a hard time of making heads or tails of it. They really needed to do a better job of making starter sets more readily available (it seems like they were stocked in groups of 6 and by the card area vs 24-30 for the 5 disc packs). So, at most 6 kids could sample the game in full (with starter pack) in a given week. BUT since a lot of adult collectors (*cough* me and a couple of other dudes in this thread) bought up the starter sets we saw, then that left close to zero for kids to sample and play.

Couple that with the uneven distribution (some posters saying their Walmarts never got restock) across the country, and you have a product that seems to be tanking.
finfangfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 09:29 PM   #227 (permalink)
Banned

I think topps n Star Wars made a big mistake by making discs for a collectible game!! Ur competing against Yugioh, Pokemon and MTG!! Discs are just not ideal for that and I don't know if it's just me but these can be a real pita to handle as well!! My little cousins try to pick up a stack and they go flying everywhere!! Lol it's hilarious but I think it's the same for me too!! I do not like handling these things at all!! It's weird but true!! And one last thing too is I think people are sick of Topps as well and Star Wars collectors are starting to realize if u make a product like sports cards it doesn't translate over to tcg world to well!! They are not gamblers!!!! They are very particular in what they buy!! I dunno when is the damn movie coming out already?!?! Haha I can't wait!!
soxrulecubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 12:53 PM   #228 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxrulecubs View Post
I'm not sure but all of the walmarts in Chicago nw suburbs keep em buy the tcg/sports card sections and I think they would have been better served by placing them by the action figures!! A lot of those sections are crappy compared to Target in this hell hole of an area lol I bet they r scared all the little Mexican kids will steal em cause they damn near destroy the entire toy sections around here!! They literally open stuff play with em in the store and put back on shelves!! Not only that there are sports card stores that actually allow scaling!! How dumb could u be?!?! In front of customers too?!?! Lmao
ladies and gentlemen, "the inland empire".
Old 11-12-2015, 02:12 PM   #229 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by finfangfan View Post
I agree that they've handled this product poorly. It likely wasn't suited for a Walmart exclusive.

The Walmarts I've been to have the starter sets in with cards, but oftentimes the 5 disk packs are hanging on a strip on the corner by the action figures. And still others have had the 5 disks on a Star Wars aisle display near the toy section mixed in with a bunch of other Star Wars stuff.

It just seems like an odd game tbh. I think most parents would scratch their heads at it and just buy SW lego stuff or an action figure. Even those that brought home 1 5 disk pack would probably have a hard time of making heads or tails of it. They really needed to do a better job of making starter sets more readily available (it seems like they were stocked in groups of 6 and by the card area vs 24-30 for the 5 disc packs). So, at most 6 kids could sample the game in full (with starter pack) in a given week. BUT since a lot of adult collectors (*cough* me and a couple of other dudes in this thread) bought up the starter sets we saw, then that left close to zero for kids to sample and play.

Couple that with the uneven distribution (some posters saying their Walmarts never got restock) across the country, and you have a product that seems to be tanking.
I still think there's hope with the product but agree with most of this.

The biggest thing that stuck out to me was where they put the discs... 9/10 Walmarts that I've seen them at put the $10 Starters pretty much with the "as advertised on TV stuff." Technically it's in with the cards but it's on the edge and usually hard to find depending on the Walmart layout. So then the little $5 boosters, which have horrible odds, hiding in the cards/toys are the only marketing (outside of Force Friday give-aways).

Having a Walmart exclusive item is a push-pull. It pulls collectors in because believe it or not but these are not nearly as "mass produced" as you think if they would have been sold at Target/ToysRUs and a dozen other big retailers. But it pushes kids/players/target-audience away because unless they go to Walmart AND find these, they have no idea they exist let alone exactly what they are.

I've also noticed a decline in gray/black/clear sales. I sold a gray set for BIN $45 a week ago and another for $9 as an auction (which are tricky) on Sunday. Most on eBay are expecting way to much, however. You get ~14 discs for $10 which includes an ultra-rare. You ARE NOT going to get $1 per disc for the most part... I don't care how rare (ie odds) your pattern-foil gray is. Your only hope is to find the character/set collector (usually early in the product launch) or make sets yourself which is very, very hard. So in essence, they were never going to hold a lot of value barring an explosion of demand for the product. The collectible value lies in complete sets and Ultra Rares.

I still love what they did with the variations even if it is maddening to complete sets. Actually, my biggest fault of the product (in addition to product shelf placement) is I wish the ultra ultra rares (BD/Slave1/Imperial) were at like a 10th of the odds. That would encourage more product breaking which would let many finish sets alot easier even if the prices do drop because of increased supply... it's better than people sitting on 50disc random character lots they can only move for $5-$10.

Personally, I think the game is fine too with the constraints you have on little plastic discs. But totally respect peoples opinion in this thread.

Bring on Wave 2... and hopefully some improvements

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxrulecubs View Post
I think topps n Star Wars made a big mistake by making discs for a collectible game!! Ur competing against Yugioh, Pokemon and MTG!! Discs are just not ideal for that and I don't know if it's just me but these can be a real pita to handle as well!! My little cousins try to pick up a stack and they go flying everywhere!! Lol it's hilarious but I think it's the same for me too!! I do not like handling these things at all!! It's weird but true!! And one last thing too is I think people are sick of Topps as well and Star Wars collectors are starting to realize if u make a product like sports cards it doesn't translate over to tcg world to well!! They are not gamblers!!!! They are very particular in what they buy!! I dunno when is the damn movie coming out already?!?! Haha I can't wait!!
Yeah, that's the real challenge. So far they have left alot on the table. I still like how they feel like collectible poker chips. And, again, maybe improvements are around the corner... A NEW HOPE.

Last edited by BHotz; 11-12-2015 at 02:59 PM.
BHotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 03:04 PM   #230 (permalink)

Well I went to quite a few Walmarts in my area looking for the hallmark cards with chips. I was able to find a gold Jabba and some green Fett/BB-8 I couldn't pass up. Only about half the stores had these.

I have noticed every store has a restock of starter packs though - at least 6 to 8 at each one. First one I went to I bought them all, now I just look at them and sigh...I'm enjoying collecting these but was hoping they would be a little tougher to come by eventually.
Old 11-12-2015, 04:14 PM   #231 (permalink)

Yeah... the cards are fun to collect. I got 3 new silvers, 4 red, and 1 green today (all from one location). If you are hunting for these, don't forget to look at the end cap AND mixed in with the regular cards, as some stores have them in both spots.
Old 11-16-2015, 02:37 PM   #232 (permalink)

The Walmart version of Star Wars Battlefront releasing tomorrow comes with an exclusive disk.

Star Wars Battlefront (Xbox One) with Exclusive Trading Disc - Walmart.com
Old 11-16-2015, 03:12 PM   #233 (permalink)

One went up on eBay earlier today... it looks pretty cool while a standard black disc.

I wonder if it's just first-run Walmart Battlefronts with them. If so then they'll be limited but not too hard to find. Something that would definitely be a good investment if Connexions somehow break out in the future.
Old 11-16-2015, 03:30 PM   #234 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHotz View Post
One went up on eBay earlier today... it looks pretty cool while a standard black disc.

I wonder if it's just first-run Walmart Battlefronts with them. If so then they'll be limited but not too hard to find. Something that would definitely be a good investment if Connexions somehow break out in the future.
His price seemed high considering you could (assuming it's not sold out) get the game AND disk for less than his BIN. I think I will pick one up when more hit eBay this weekend.

Will be interesting if there are any color variations, and if this will still be marked as Wave 1 (or maybe it is a wave 2 character?).

It's neat they are piggybacking on the popularity of the video game. We will see if it improves interest in the stuff.
Old 11-16-2015, 06:21 PM   #235 (permalink)

Is anyone encountering restocked on the Hallmark Trading Disc cards?
Old 11-16-2015, 09:38 PM   #236 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by timelovesahero View Post
ladies and gentlemen, "the inland empire".
Ha I used to live just south of there!! Good ole Anaslime haha n orange too!! N Huntington Beach n Santa Ana lol n fountain valley n Costa Mesa geez I think I got em all!! 👍👍👍
Old 11-17-2015, 10:29 AM   #237 (permalink)

Quote:
Is anyone encountering restocked on the Hallmark Trading Disc cards?
I've yet to find another that had them, lol. Haven't looked real hard but been to 3-4 Walmarts in the last week after finding them at the first and none had them.
Old 11-17-2015, 12:03 PM   #238 (permalink)

Another of the battlefront disks ha been posted to eBay. Looks to be on a black starfield, and no Wave # is listed on back.
Old 11-17-2015, 01:12 PM   #239 (permalink)

Found a couple of the blue starfield packs sitting in the card aisle at a Walmart I had not looked at before. Wonder how they got there...guess some employee found them on a back shelf?

Pulled a Mace and Obi-Wan Blue.
Old 11-17-2015, 04:42 PM   #240 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by notoriousrmb View Post
Found a couple of the blue starfield packs sitting in the card aisle at a Walmart I had not looked at before. Wonder how they got there...guess some employee found them on a back shelf?

Pulled a Mace and Obi-Wan Blue.
Did they scan in as $0?
Old 11-17-2015, 05:51 PM   #241 (permalink)

Here is the back of the promo disc on eBay (with bonus fingerprint!).

It will be interesting to see what other black starfield discs pop up. Maybe the 12/18 giveaway will be black, not blue, starfield?

You can get these promos with the XBox1 and PS4 versions of the game, and also each consoles deluxe version of the game. Assuming no variations, there are probably at least high-five figures worth of these disks (I'm guessing).

I base this on the fact that SW Battlefront will probably sell millions with a large chunk of those sales preorders. Not sure how much of that market is Walmart, but I am guessing it is quite a large chunk of people.
Old 11-18-2015, 10:46 AM   #242 (permalink)

Quote:
Did they scan in as $0?
There are no barcodes to scan on the packs.
Old 11-20-2015, 06:34 PM   #243 (permalink)

And it looks like they are expanding it into a Subway promo... Green starfield discs (not to be confused with the Jabba green slime variation).

Old 11-20-2015, 07:28 PM   #244 (permalink)

^^^ I took my daughter to lunch today so that we could get one of these. We got Rey. Will be back for more...
PoPCulture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 11:38 PM   #245 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoPCulture View Post
^^^ I took my daughter to lunch today so that we could get one of these. We got Rey. Will be back for more...
Wait, what, seriously?!

LOL, the official Topps Facebook page responded to people asking about these and said that they definitely should not be out yet as promotion for them hasn't even launched. Supposedly they are coming in December (guessing first week). They went as far as to say they would be investigating the eBay listings.

How did you get yours? Are they included with a sub purchase or kids meal? Guessing only Walmart Subways?
Old 11-21-2015, 06:34 AM   #246 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHotz View Post
Wait, what, seriously?!

LOL, the official Topps Facebook page responded to people asking about these and said that they definitely should not be out yet as promotion for them hasn't even launched. Supposedly they are coming in December (guessing first week). They went as far as to say they would be investigating the eBay listings.

How did you get yours? Are they included with a sub purchase or kids meal? Guessing only Walmart Subways?
Yes mine was at a Walmart Subway and it was in the kids meal. Meal also came with a mini lightsaber as well as the Star Wars bag -which is the only thing she really wanted
PoPCulture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 04:29 PM   #247 (permalink)
Banned

Black Starfield?!?! Don't they already have black Uncommons that suck pretty much?!?! So make more?!?! How much different could they be?!?! The funny thing too is the walmarts by me are slowly starting to see shelves finally empty, even though it seems like it took forever!! Anyone know what the plan is for wave 2 yet? I pretty much have given up on these, but if series 2 knocks my sox (lol )off, who knows!! I seriously doubt it though!!
Old 11-21-2015, 05:11 PM   #248 (permalink)

Well... the black starfields have the star pattern, so they are different than the solid black discs. And the green starfields (the Walmart Subway giveaway) look cool enough.

I think the plan for Wave 2 is for it to release on movie day... Friday, December 18th. They will also be giving away promo packs again that day.

After that, it is anyone's guess. Based on the low print runs estimated upthread, I am surprised the packs are still available for sale in mass quantities on Walmart.com. Maybe the recent promos and the upcoming giveaway will give the game a push, but for now it looks like the disks are failing to gain a wide audience.

EDIT: Here is what Topps posted on their FB page earlier today...

Quote:
There's less than one month left to purchase Topps Star Wars Galactic Connexions First Edition discs before they are gone for good! On 12/18, Topps will retire Series 1 and release a brand new Series 2 with new characters, a new lightsaber purple disc and new vehicles! Click here to purchase direct from Walmart.com.
So, they are still trying to actively unload them. I don't think the $10 packs are a very good deal tbh. With the large character list, there is too much risk of pulling an obscure character. Given that even key characters in red/green are selling for <$10, and no market for the gray/blacks, and even clears (aside from the pattern foil), it is better to just buy the discs you want off of eBay. That's how I completed my green set much cheaper than what it would have taken to buy them from a bunch of $10 packs.

Last edited by finfangfan; 11-21-2015 at 06:48 PM.
Old 11-21-2015, 05:16 PM   #249 (permalink)

BTW... I completed my slime green set. I will scan it in sometime over Christmas.

I hope they continue slime green for Wave 2. If so, I will keep collecting.

Cool stuff!
Old 12-03-2015, 07:29 PM   #250 (permalink)

Walmart.com STILL seems to have stock of these as it is still allowing you to add 12 (or more!) packs to your cart. It will be interesting to see if these drop in price to clear the way for Wave 2 stuff. FB mentioned that " Series 1 will only be available until 12/18 and then Series 2 launches with all new characters, a new lightsaber purple disc and vehicles exclusively in Walmart," so you would think they would HAVE to lower the price on these unless they plan on destroying a stock once 12/18 hits.

BTW, I see on eBay that the blue starfield collector upthread appears to have finally gotten his full set only to list it on eBay. A classic "pump and dump." This website appears full of "collectors" who only "collect" for a few weeks and then try to flip (either here or on eBay). Seems like he is flipping at a bad time i.e. overall interest appears low after initial activity at release appears to have waned.

At any rate, to each their own. I look forward to seeing the purple discs, and also to see if they keep the slime green with Wave 2.

Quote:
Incidentally, if you really want to buy these disks to collect it appears Walmart lifted the 3 pack limit online, and you can now order 12 (or more!). My guess is they are blowing out overstock prior to the new release. The next step is probably a price slash.

I don't think this product has legs, but it is really cool. So, you might want to buy it up now while you have the chance to buy multiple packs online.