Blowout Cards Forums
cowboys (2016 FB)

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2015, 10:08 PM   #76 (permalink)

Ha, saw that tonight

I should go through my piles to see if I have any more. Be interested to see if you get what you're asking. Maybe I'll snap a pic of mine to post later.

Still nothing from Topps regarding my questions. Gave them another shot early today.

Sadly looks like they'll be dealing with the pushback on the non-stamped "buyback" cards in their new star wars set in the coming days.

Good luck!
Jason
jasoncam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 09:45 AM   #77 (permalink)

Jason, where did you see/how do we know there are around 15 of the Battle-Damage/etc.? That # seems really high considering the odds and how many starter packs each Walmart seems to be getting total. Sure they're still instock online but you can only get 3 per order which hinders supply injection quite a bit.

Even with the pretty big supply on eBay, I've noticed quite a few of the auctions in the last 7-10days are not ultra-rare listings but lots being broken up or just so many listing greys/blacks/clears individually. And the Golds seem to be trending up in addition to the Blues.

If we don't get the 2nd wave until near Christmas and depending on if they are 1st edition/etc., these could get insane if kids catch on. With that said, it seems like these are more adult friendly collectible, lol. We'll see.

Last edited by BHotz; 09-25-2015 at 09:48 AM.
BHotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 01:49 PM   #78 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHotz View Post
Jason, where did you see/how do we know there are around 15 of the Battle-Damage/etc.? That # seems really high considering the odds and how many starter packs each Walmart seems to be getting total. Sure they're still instock online but you can only get 3 per order which hinders supply injection quite a bit.

Even with the pretty big supply on eBay, I've noticed quite a few of the auctions in the last 7-10days are not ultra-rare listings but lots being broken up or just so many listing greys/blacks/clears individually. And the Golds seem to be trending up in addition to the Blues.

If we don't get the 2nd wave until near Christmas and depending on if they are 1st edition/etc., these could get insane if kids catch on. With that said, it seems like these are more adult friendly collectible, lol. We'll see.
It was mentioned in the interview someone posted here that talked about Wave 2. If you listen he mentions that the Imperial Red, Battle Damaged, and Slave 1 variations only have "about 15" of each.

Believe me, I have no faith in their distribution.

If you go to their official star wars page for topps, I finally today uploaded the pic I put here of my patterned blue and asked for answers. I also have opened just a crap ton of packs to get the blues, and there are 8 to 10 names just never having existed as far as I can tell.

I assume Topps will ignore me as they usually do. Such a shame. I have been one of the bigger collector of these things from the start.

Jason
Old 09-25-2015, 01:56 PM   #79 (permalink)

Let me also add that I'm extremely frustrated and done with buying this product.

After opening up another 250+ packs today of the walmart force fridays, I didn't get any additional ones I needed for my set of blues.

Combine all that with the lack of Topps bothering to answer the simplest of questions (I seriously did email them, private message facebooked them, tweeted the guy who is their marketing for connexions, and replied publicly to some of their earlier posts).

So walmart force friday pack prices are going to fall now since I was gobbling up every lot that had 10 or more.

And instead I'll keep searching for my unicorns should they come up on eBay. I have completed my clear foil and clear patterend foil sets, so not in the market for any of those either. I can probably try to help some folks here complete some sets. I have thousands of these things sitting in bags now.

Jason
Old 09-25-2015, 01:59 PM   #80 (permalink)
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasoncam View Post
So walmart force friday pack prices are going to fall now since I was gobbling up every lot that had 10 or more.

Jason
I understand your frustration and you are probably right in the short run but in the long run I think the blue packs will actually go up up up in value (assuming these things catch on to begin with)
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 02:03 PM   #81 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
I understand your frustration and you are probably right in the short run but in the long run I think the blue packs will actually go up up up in value (assuming these things catch on to begin with)
I would have agreed a week ago, but I seriously question whether or not they released the whole set of 85.

I guess if they came out and said "oops we only released 75 of the 85, sorry!" and told me my set was complete, I'd probably be happier.

I 100% am in agreement that the Blue offer the most upside in the long run. That said, who is to say Topps doesn't do another run of Blues (the exact same ones) when they release wave 2?

Apparently "Force Friday" going to be a thing every month for other toys, so don't see why Topps would pass up that opportunity.

If I ever get an answer from them, I'll be sure to post here. Or just monitor the Official Topps Star Wars page.

j
Old 09-25-2015, 02:04 PM   #82 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
That's the big question. For right now it looks like this stuff is being bought up by older collectors/speculators. But it's true success will be if the game takes off with kids (the targeted audience). To be honest, the game itself seems pretty stupid, but I guess we will know by Christmas if it takes off.
finfangfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 02:07 PM   #83 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by finfangfan View Post
That's the big question. For right now it looks like this stuff is being bought up by older collectors/speculators. But it's true success will be if the game takes off with kids (the targeted audience). To be honest, the game itself seems pretty stupid, but I guess we will know by Christmas if it takes off.
At least we have going for us that it IS Star Wars. Everything is collectible.

And I'll be quite honest, aside from the scratches everywhere, these are truly neat little disks. Before I held one I was afraid they were cardboard or paper, but turns out they are heavy little suckers.

I particularly like the patterned ones (hence my decision to put together the clears), and the gold and silver are stunning. Don't personally care for the red or greens, and I may just give away common greys and blacks away.

j
Old 09-25-2015, 02:35 PM   #84 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasoncam View Post
At least we have going for us that it IS Star Wars. Everything is collectible.

And I'll be quite honest, aside from the scratches everywhere, these are truly neat little disks. Before I held one I was afraid they were cardboard or paper, but turns out they are heavy little suckers.

I particularly like the patterned ones (hence my decision to put together the clears), and the gold and silver are stunning. Don't personally care for the red or greens, and I may just give away common greys and blacks away.

j
Yeah... The patterned ones also hide scratches better.

Anyone notice the crazy packaging jobs eBay sellers are doing with these? A lot of paper towels and weird packing set ups. Lol

I'm worried about scratching so much that I won't buy the silvers or golds off eBay as I am afraid they will come scratched. Pretty much why I settled on the greens.
Old 09-25-2015, 02:42 PM   #85 (permalink)

I've had every possible kind of packaging.

One person saran wrapped each one individually. Another saran wrapped them as a bundle but layered it. That was fun.

Another decided to just chuck them loose into a priority mail flat rate box. Actually a couple of people have done that.

One big seller I bought a lot from did the "nice" ones in individual baggies. Great for packaging, bad for time consumption haha.

Paper towels, tape, food boxes I've never even heard of, newspapers... I've had it all.

I think best is just individual baggies and in a padded envelope.

I mean let's face it, they come out of the pack scratched.

Haven't had issues with the golds or silvers scratching. They seem more resilient. Haven't looked close at them though as wasn't really putting a set together on them.

j
Old 09-25-2015, 03:15 PM   #86 (permalink)

Gold and Silvers definitely scratch less especially on the foil sticker. Some have scratches on their metallic surface but almost all of them are VERY minor.

You got me really curious which blues you are still missing, Jason, lol. But I understand if you want to keep your research under wraps. I do still have ~15 that I didn't move when I initially put up my 60pack break but seems very unlikely you need as most are doubles I already listed (of which you bought a few, looks like :P). I might hit you up on extras (grey/black/clear) you have... going to work on set building the ~1,000+ sitting on a shelf this weekend.

Last edited by BHotz; 09-25-2015 at 03:25 PM.
Old 09-25-2015, 03:26 PM   #87 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHotz View Post
Gold and Silvers definitely scratch less especially on the foil sticker. Some have scratches on their metallic surface but almost all of them are VERY minor.

You got me really curious which blues you are still missing, Jason, lol. But I understand if you want to keep your research under wraps. I do still have ~15 that I didn't move when I initially put up my 60pack break but seems very unlikely you need as most are doubles I already listed (of which you bought a few, looks like :P). I might hit you up on extras (grey/black/clear) you have... going to work on set building the ~1,000+ or so I have sitting on a shelf this weekend.
Yeah I think I picked a few off from you.

Shocker, Topps not responding to my post on their star wars facebook page. Maybe you guys should give it love

I bet they did print the ones that are missing, but they are held back or something else dumb. Probably start seeing them listed on ebay to supplement their income under some phantom account.

The more they ignore me, the bigger conspiracy I begin to imagine

If I don't see the ones I'm looking for in the next couple days, I'll post the unicorn list. At this point, if they haven't appeared, they never will.

(edited to add: I'll be happy to help with any grey or blacks or clears. I literally chucked them into gallon ziplock bags. If I get ambitious I may sort them. Guess I'll have to if I am going to help sets. There appear to be some short prints in the clears since I was putting that together... probably some tough ones I'd imagine in black as well)

Jason

Last edited by jasoncam; 09-25-2015 at 03:44 PM.
Old 09-25-2015, 04:16 PM   #88 (permalink)

I opened 29 Walmart promo packs, so I will go through mine this weekend (tonight?) and shoot you a pm of the ones I have... maybe one is one of your white whales.
Old 09-25-2015, 04:27 PM   #89 (permalink)

Quote:
I opened 29 Walmart promo packs, so I will go through mine this weekend (tonight?) and shoot you a pm of the ones I have... maybe one is one of your white whales.
Thanks! I'll probably post the "list" in the next day or two. Don't think it's gonna hurt me

j
Old 09-25-2015, 05:44 PM   #90 (permalink)

Here is a pic of the Anakin I pm'd you about...
Attached Thumbnails
Topps Star Wars Galactic Connexions Trading Disks-blue-disk.jpg  
Old 09-25-2015, 06:12 PM   #91 (permalink)

Quote:
Here is a pic of the Anakin I pm'd you about...
I want! LOL

j
Old 09-25-2015, 06:21 PM   #92 (permalink)

Doesn't appear to be any on eBay, including completed auctions which is a good sign for rarity. Weird that Topps would SSP the blue disks though beyond the force Friday only limitation.

At any rate, maybe some of these will be rare "beanie Babies" if this set takes off with kids... Lol.
Old 09-25-2015, 08:49 PM   #93 (permalink)

First Anakin I've seen. And I've been looking.

It's one on "the list." Hopefully you picked it up this week, because once they start to appear, more come. Funny how Topps works like that.

You know where it can find a good home

Jason
Old 09-26-2015, 07:38 AM   #94 (permalink)

In addition to bizarre packing jobs, I am also getting some weird unsolicited follow-up messages from sellers asking me if I want to buy more disks. It seems like some inexperienced sellers might have overbought this and are fearing being stuck with it or are experiencing cash flow problems. This is the type of thing that if it takes off, it won't be until closer until Christmas that we find out.

Sellers just need to be patient and also accept the fact that flipping is a gamble you most often lose. There are over 4600 Walmarts in th US, and their is a TON of this stuff produced. Only a few SSP disks will command big bucks. Fact is is that you are going to be stuck with a boatload of disks no one wants (also due to the expanded character list being much deeper than the iconic characters that people actively collect).
Old 09-26-2015, 10:51 AM   #95 (permalink)

Have these FT if anyone wants them. Looking for wrestling cards. Mostly Bray Wyatt cards I don't have.

Black Pattern Foil
Bossk

Wal Mart Blue Starfields
Chewbacca
Yoda (2x)
Plo Koon
Darth Maul
Poe Dameron
BB-8 (foil)

www.followthebuzzardseow.blogspot.com
Hardcore42187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 03:22 PM   #96 (permalink)

Quote:
In addition to bizarre packing jobs, I am also getting some weird unsolicited follow-up messages from sellers asking me if I want to buy more disks. It seems like some inexperienced sellers might have overbought this and are fearing being stuck with it or are experiencing cash flow problems. This is the type of thing that if it takes off, it won't be until closer until Christmas that we find out.

Sellers just need to be patient and also accept the fact that flipping is a gamble you most often lose. There are over 4600 Walmarts in th US, and their is a TON of this stuff produced. Only a few SSP disks will command big bucks. Fact is is that you are going to be stuck with a boatload of disks no one wants (also due to the expanded character list being much deeper than the iconic characters that people actively collect).
I hear ya about the first part and I suppose it isn't too surprising being these are "Star Wars" so everyone comes out of the woodwork to try to make a buck.

But in the second part, I really don't see how there is a "TON of this stuff produced." There is ONE retailer which is very odd for collectibles like this. And I've been checking a handful of Walmarts in a ~200mile radius for about a month now and not a single of one of them has gotten more than x6 starter sets. Now, there seems to be 8-12 boosters per store too but those are definitely not "ultra rare" friendly.

Also, while you definitely start to amass quite the # of Discs when you start breaking large quantities of sealed product or buying lots, these sets are NOT easy to complete. It took me way to long to even complete my first "grey non-foil" 75character set. With all the variations, you don't get that many of each (NINE different non-ultra rares variations) per 14 Disc $10 Starter.

I also don't think there are SSP unless you are referring to the battle-damage/etc... still stand by my theory of poor regional distribution collation both with starters and Sealed Walmart "Force Friday" cases. Just my theory though based on breaking well over 50 $10 starters (and 60 Walmart FF packs) and watching eBay listings.

Again like most of us are saying, it's just going to depend on if the game catches on, and how fast the supply dries up compared to collectors filling demand. I still think these are under-the-radar some and it sure looks like Walmarts have been drained. So in the next 1-2 months we should get a good idea on how the market shakes out and where we will be heading into Wave 2 in December.
Old 09-26-2015, 06:43 PM   #97 (permalink)

As a note these are now appearing in the Wal-Marts in Canada. Bought a starter pack plus one booster today. My Ultra-Rare was a 3PO gold Ponda Baba...
WTB: Michelle Baena 2013 hair cards /2 /5, Premium Base cards, socks swatches
Fenian95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 11:33 PM   #98 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenian95 View Post
As a note these are now appearing in the Wal-Marts in Canada. Bought a starter pack plus one booster today. My Ultra-Rare was a 3PO gold Ponda Baba...
Lol, totally forgot about the international aspect. Well there's another supply injection. But could also be a demand injection if these catch on outside United States.

Last edited by BHotz; 09-27-2015 at 02:32 AM.
Old 09-27-2015, 09:47 AM   #99 (permalink)

Here is "the list" of ones I need to complete my set. If you have any of these, congratulations

Regular Blue
Anakin (confirmed exists as per posts on this forum)
Jabba the Hut
Scout Trooper
Imperial Royal Guard
Wicket
Ugnaught
Chancellor Palpatine

Blue Foil
Anakin
Jango Fett
Tusken Raider
Imperial Royal Guard
IG-88
Wicket
Ugnaught
Chancellor Palpatine

Similar lists. Some of those that I've only been able to find one of I have none of in the other style (regular vs foil).

As near as I can tell, none of those other than Anakin have ever been seen or listed on eBay.

If you have any and want to help a poor ol' guy like myself out in completing a set, I'll make you a more than fair offer.

Thanks! Happy hunting!
Jason

Last edited by jasoncam; 09-27-2015 at 09:57 AM.
Old 09-27-2015, 10:30 AM   #100 (permalink)

I'll look out for these for you. Incidentally, did you also search through completed listings where Blues were sold in bulk? Since this was a retail release and free promotion, a lot were given away to kids who most likely didn't flip them on eBay. So, I don't think it is a matter of these not being printed, it's more likely a matter of weird distribution, and the fact that a relatively small percentage of the total made it to eBay (via flippers) vs kids to be played with.