Blowout Cards Forums
2017 nt fb

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2015, 11:05 AM   #101 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by finfangfan View Post
I'll look out for these for you. Incidentally, did you also search through completed listings where Blues were sold in bulk? Since this was a retail release and free promotion, a lot were given away to kids who most likely didn't flip them on eBay. So, I don't think it is a matter of these not being printed, it's more likely a matter of weird distribution, and the fact that a relatively small percentage of the total made it to eBay (via flippers) vs kids to be played with.
I went through as much as I could of completed listings when I had a better idea.

I'd say that in the past two weeks nothing has really slipped by. They've only been out for just over 3 weeks.

Some of the harder ones I was only able to find in lots. Yeah, lots of wasted time on eBay

j
jasoncam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 12:54 PM   #102 (permalink)

One other thing that occurred to me is are we sure that these will continue to be Walmart exclusives? Or is it possible that they will soon make there way to other outlets (e.g. Target, Walgreens, TRU, etc.), and that possibly Walmart only has an exclusive window for the first couple months or whatever?
finfangfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 01:48 PM   #103 (permalink)

Quote:
One other thing that occurred to me is are we sure that these will continue to be Walmart exclusives? Or is it possible that they will soon make there way to other outlets (e.g. Target, Walgreens, TRU, etc.), and that possibly Walmart only has an exclusive window for the first couple months or whatever?
It's Topps... anything is possible.

I think wave 1 probably ends up being walmart exclusive.

Wave 2 likely walmart only as well (think it was mentioned as such in that online interview?).

From there though, who knows, if it actually takes off, I'm sure we can look forward to hobby packs, exclusives at other places, and all that other "fun" stuff.

Right now all I want to do is complete my blue set so I can move on with my life

It amazes me I can't get an answer from anyone there. I've literally tried every avenue other than calling them. And I feel like if I got someone on the phone they would just read me the sales brochure on it and insist that the entire set was distributed, and there are no blue patterns.

Listings have really slowed the past couple days. Less Walmart packs are for sale.

If you believe/trust their odds, there really shouldn't be a lot of this product out there. maybe 1.5 mil blue disks or so... and it's about 2 regular to every foil. IF they did release all 85 and they were in same numbers, that gets you to around 10k blue, and 5k blue foil sets. I'm just spitballing though.

That of course doesn't take into account the many that were likely tossed by non-collectors or given to kids.

j
Old 09-27-2015, 02:09 PM   #104 (permalink)

FYI I'm also still looking into storage.

I picked up some of the SAFLIPs from amazon, as well as some sheets that hold coins.

I originally purchased the 2" x 2" holders, and they are tight. They CAN work, but I ordered some 2.5" x 2.5" ones. I think those will work better... but doesn't appear they sell storage boxes for those sizes (whereas 2" boxes are easy to find).

The pages (think like you would put baseball cards in) don't work. You can get them in the pages, but they fall out. While I'm 99% sure most of the time I'd have a binder sitting upright, it only takes one time where they would all come spilling out of the top. Yes I could tape or staple the edges, but don't think that will look too nice.

Will let you guys know how the 2.5" ones work out. Should be getting them Tuesday.

Jason
Old 09-27-2015, 02:35 PM   #105 (permalink)

Sorted my Black Patterned and Grey Patterned. Had 50 of 75 for Black Pattern set, and 68 of 75 for the grey pattern set. Not bad considering those were just out of starter packs and walmart blue packs and I hadn't been concentrating on them at all.

If there is someone you need to fill out a set, let me know.

Can't judge if some are more scarce than others, though it appears the names I had trouble with finding in blue are ones I had multiples of in these.

Jason
Old 09-28-2015, 07:23 AM   #106 (permalink)

If anyone missed it, Topps did reply to me on facebook regarding my patterned blue. They also confirmed there are short prints. Entire reply below:

" Hi Jason this looks like it must be a production error. We only created the standard 4 color print stickers and the rainbow foil stickers for the blue starfield discs. The rainbow foil stickers are more rare than the standard stickers. (The standard stickers appear at about a rate of 2:1 vs. the rainbow foil.) Also, all 85 characters appear on the blue starfield. There are about 15 characters or so that are a shorter print run vs. the rest of the range, but everyone is out there. Which ones are you missing? Can you send a direct message with your list? Glad you are enjoying the new collectable! Thanks!"
Old 09-28-2015, 09:55 AM   #107 (permalink)

Quote:
Yeah, I wonder that too. My guess is they stay Walmart only as Topps has done exclusives before but never know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasoncam View Post
If anyone missed it, Topps did reply to me on facebook regarding my patterned blue. They also confirmed there are short prints. Entire reply below:

" Hi Jason this looks like it must be a production error. We only created the standard 4 color print stickers and the rainbow foil stickers for the blue starfield discs. The rainbow foil stickers are more rare than the standard stickers. (The standard stickers appear at about a rate of 2:1 vs. the rainbow foil.) Also, all 85 characters appear on the blue starfield. There are about 15 characters or so that are a shorter print run vs. the rest of the range, but everyone is out there. Which ones are you missing? Can you send a direct message with your list? Glad you are enjoying the new collectable! Thanks!"
Nice, Jason! Thanks for sharing... I couldn't find Galactic Connexions stuff on their Facebok - I'll have to look again. Now I want specifics with SPs especially if they exist for grey/black/clear/ultra-rares. And yeah I'll probably hit you up on any extras. I still have more to sort and have another couple decent size lots coming in the next couple of days.
BHotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 02:50 PM   #108 (permalink)

6 starter kits and 6 booster pack with only 23 doubles... Yeah... Looks like it will be tough just to finish the base set unless I start spending cash so I do not know if I will continue with this money sucking adventure! On the bright side, they fit really nice in one of my extra fishing containers.

Michael
Old 09-28-2015, 03:13 PM   #109 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by meucci67 View Post
6 starter kits and 6 booster pack with only 23 doubles... Yeah... Looks like it will be tough just to finish the base set unless I start spending cash so I do not know if I will continue with this money sucking adventure! On the bright side, they fit really nice in one of my extra fishing containers.

Michael
think your best bet is to take advantage of some of the lots of commons and uncommons that are being liquidated on ebay to complete sets. I know that's how I got my clear foil & clear patterned set completed with ease.

Everyone was breaking starters for the ultra rares (which are now worth diddly) and dumping the rest.

I do not know if there are short prints in the common and uncommon non-foils. They are just sitting in big gallon ziplock bags.

Also you can find sets of these going for in the $50 to $75 range if you're interested. Probably better than paying for 7 starter sets at $10 a pop.

If you run into specific gray and black ones you need, just let me know.

Jason
Old 09-28-2015, 03:35 PM   #110 (permalink)

I usually spend $100 and trade for what I need, but since what I need is more than what extra I managed to pull it may be a lost cause. But since it is Star Wars related, I'll see what I can dig up at the next toy show...

Thanks for the offer!

Michael
Old 09-29-2015, 12:35 PM   #111 (permalink)

Default Wave 2 of Connexions

In case anyone doesn't follow the star wars facebook for topps, I asked some questions about wave 2. My initial post with questions and their reply below.

1) Still a walmart exclusive?
2) How many in wave 2 set?
3) will wave 2 be sold mixed in with wave 1 disks, or just wave 2 only?
4) same chase and style (grey, black, clear, reds, golds etc)?
5) will there be a blue disk set for wave 2? Or was that always going to just be a Force Friday initial offering?

Back to wave 1:
1) are the presses done on it? Meaning once you guys have printed X number of them, and I assume they are and have been sent to walmart, is that it, no more? Very curious as to how truly limited the product will be. Obviously you can do the math based on the Leia odds in Walmart promotional packs to get an idea of how many blue disks are out there... does that apply across the board? (and just to check, if odds in blue packs was 1:225,992, conceivably that would mean 1.13 million blues out there as a combination of foil & regular if you only made five 14k gold Leias).

Sorry for so many questions (and I have more). Thanks!
Like Reply 1 17 hrs

*Topps Star Wars

Topps Star Wars Wave 2: Still a Walmart exclusive; hits shelves 12/18; 86 characters (75 'base' + 10 promo giveaway + 1 new 14kt gold disc). Wave 2 product will only contain wave 2 subjects (not mixed with wave 1). Same chase/rarity scheme except that we are adding one disc color (to be announced as we get closer to launch). Yes there will be a Blue Starfield promo giveaway for Wave 2 featuring 10 new characters.
Wave 1: Presses are done. All product is shipped to Walmart and either on shelf or in their inventory system. Can't comment on total production numbers but you seem pretty good at math wink emoticon and the odds are accurate on the promo giveaways, boosters and starters. Hope that helps!
Old 09-29-2015, 12:55 PM   #112 (permalink)
Tim

So Jason what are the numbers for the blues from wave 1?

also, another interesting question to ask topps is whether they will print the same quantity of wave 2 as they did wave 1 (you would think they'd increase it)
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 01:00 PM   #113 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
So Jason what are the numbers for the blues from wave 1?

also, another interesting question to ask topps is whether they will print the same quantity of wave 2 as they did wave 1 (you would think they'd increase it)
They have said it will be same quantity as wave 1. I asked.

Blues you just do the math based on Leia odds. They were 1 in 275,922 packs. 5 Leias, and 1 blue per pack gets you to 1,129,610 blue disks.

Of that, it's a ratio of 2 regular to 1 foil (per topps, and per my own eyeballing upon opening packs).

Now simple math would say divide all that out by 85, you get 13,289 blue sets. A 2 to 1 regular to foil means around 4,400 foil, and 8,800 regular blue sets.

Of course that math is out the window since they have acknowledged there are short prints in the blues.

You can multiply out also to get the basic print run for all the disks too using their odds for starter sets and booster packs.

Let me put it this way, the clear patterned foil set I put together is much rarer than the foil blue set (barring the short print blues being attainable in the future).

Jason
Old 09-29-2015, 01:46 PM   #114 (permalink)
Tim

I know there's a lot of SW fans out there, but with that kind of quantity I don't see how they will ever go up much in price.
Old 09-29-2015, 02:00 PM   #115 (permalink)

Quote:
I know there's a lot of SW fans out there, but with that kind of quantity I don't see how they will ever go up much in price.
Gee, I didn't think that was a lot? Not when compared to cardboard, and I think that's more the market that would be interested in it. I know that's where I came from.

I think there is zero market for the gray. Frankly not even interested in any variations of them. The black ones look cool. Sticking to clears and blues here though.

I didn't bother to try and figure out the math on sets of red, green, and gold or silver. I guess maybe I should do that at some point. The fact there are 86,400 starter sets, where you are guaranteed one of the ultra rares, skews that a bit.

Market continues to dry up on eBay. The number of "listed" auctions for Star Wars Connexions still seems high, but very few listings the last couple days. Nowhere near the pace of the last week or two.

j
Old 09-29-2015, 02:13 PM   #116 (permalink)
Tim

Quote:
Gee, I didn't think that was a lot? Not when compared to cardboard, and I think that's more the market that would be interested in it. I know that's where I came from.

j
Well 8800 sets of blue. there are 2000 sets of widevision 3d Jedi and now Sith. The latter are not even bringing $25.00. (and jedi's just recently got to $40). And there are more than 4x more of this? Just sayin
Old 09-29-2015, 02:59 PM   #117 (permalink)

As mentioned upthread, this set's success ultimately depends on how well the game does with kids. As a collectible, it is definitely mass produced (in comparison to hobby card sets), but if kids actually play the game (which seems doubtful tbh), then the quantities available to collectors will eventually be limited.

Right now there seems to be more supply than collectors. Also, it seems like a ton of breakers speculated on this, and right now it doesn't seem like prices for any disks are exploding after the highs seen after initial release weekend. A lot of greens and reds that were nabbing over $20 each that first week are now selling (or sitting) at single digits.

The disks still are cool though. I collect them to collect them. I'm not anticipating being able to flip for a profit, but I certainly will flip them if they take off in price

Also, Once Topps retires disks and/or announces short prints, we might see more collector activity. But right now it seems to be a buyers market with a ton of stuff produced.
finfangfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 03:19 PM   #118 (permalink)

Quote:
Topps Star Wars Wave 2: Still a Walmart exclusive; hits shelves 12/18; 86 characters (75 'base' + 10 promo giveaway + 1 new 14kt gold disc). Wave 2 product will only contain wave 2 subjects (not mixed with wave 1). Same chase/rarity scheme except that we are adding one disc color (to be announced as we get closer to launch). Yes there will be a Blue Starfield promo giveaway for Wave 2 featuring 10 new characters.
Wave 1: Presses are done. All product is shipped to Walmart and either on shelf or in their inventory system. Can't comment on total production numbers but you seem pretty good at math wink emoticon and the odds are accurate on the promo giveaways, boosters and starters. Hope that helps!
Jason, you're awesome! Lol, I don't Facebook much and still can't find any Galactic Connexions info on the offical Topps FB page???

Quote:
Well 8800 sets of blue. there are 2000 sets of widevision 3d Jedi and now Sith. The latter are not even bringing $25.00. (and jedi's just recently got to $40). And there are more than 4x more of this? Just sayin
BUT these are brand new. Go look at the first "limited" Star Wars sets or first autos or first sketches. ALL of those started much, much higher than than now and the baseline settled higher where 3d jedi/sith exist in a world FULL of SW trading card market saturation. Marvel sketches bottoming out circa ~2011/2012 and now Star Wars doing the same is a good example.

With that said, sure these aren't a lock to blow up even with them being Walmart exclusive. Nevertheless, they are definitely aimed more at kids especially as dealers can't get these in bulk (as far as I know). The value is really going to depend on how much these pick up now or in near future but there is definitely demand simmering. Even the lowest Red/Green Ultra Rares usually sell for half the cost (shipped) of a $10 starter (which leaves you with 13 Discs for ~$5) with Golds and others selling quite a bit more.

Quote:
As mentioned upthread, this set's success ultimately depends on how well the game does with kids. As a collectible, it is definitely mass produced (in comparison to hobby card sets), but if kids actually play the game (which seems doubtful tbh), then the quantities available to collectors will eventually be limited.

Right now there seems to be more supply than collectors. Also, it seems like a ton of breakers speculated on this, and right now it doesn't seem like prices for any disks are exploding after the highs seen after initial release weekend. A lot of greens and reds that were nabbing over $20 each that first week are now selling (or sitting) at single digits.

The disks still are cool though. I collect them to collect them. I'm not anticipating being able to flip for a profit, but I certainly will flip them if they take off in price

Also, Once Topps retires disks and/or announces short prints, we might see more collector activity. But right now it seems to be a buyers market with a ton of stuff produced.
TOTALLY respect your thoughts and opinions. And maybe it's just semantics, but I don't see how we can call these "mass produced" when Walmarts don't restock them (?) and there is only a single retailer in the world selling them which also means less dealer interference.

Also, yes, they have bottomed out. However like I said just above in this post, the lowest red/green Ultra Rares usually bring ~$5 shipped which is half the cost of a $10 starter. So, yes, you are right these aren't busting in value currently but they are also way more bang for your buck than a TON of other current collectibles.

I agree with what seems to be everyone and their mother cleaning out Walmarts and throwing these up on eBay has definitely created a bit of a buyers market. So then question remains if the "Walmart" supply has really dwindled (again, I've yet to see a Walmart restock Starters - ALL EARS if someone has seen this) and what does demand do from here on out.

Last edited by BHotz; 09-29-2015 at 03:39 PM.
Old 09-29-2015, 03:35 PM   #119 (permalink)

I have never liked the reds and greens. I've always said they would trade single digits. I do like the gold and silver, but that's more due to the aesthetics. They just "feel good" in hand.

I'll leave the number of sets as being too many or too few to you guys, as I don't enter this hobby world much (as evidence by signing up just to post about connexions), but color me jaded since I have collected cards off and on for years, and just remember the overproduced stuff in the 90s and 2000s. When you say 2,000 sets of these other products, does that mean common cards? Or just if you got all the chase cards? If the latter, I'd consider the blues chases. The grays are what they are, paperweights and goodies to hand out to kids on halloween

No I don't see it taking off with kids. But maybe I should try playing it?

Vehicles will be coming to wave 2, so that's kind of neat.

And while I did the numbers for sets out there, I think the blue sets are way way way below those. Some of the blues haven't even been seen! They should have all been seen the opening couple of weeks as listings were at their highest.

Now I have no idea if there are cases of walmart promo packs rotting somewhere. Could be. But I have been trying tirelessly to put this set together to no avail. I seriously monitor every single listing that comes up. Doesn't mean that I haven't missed a buy it now for someone else who knows about the short prints, but so be it.

J
Old 09-29-2015, 03:40 PM   #120 (permalink)

Regarding pricing, I think you've seen what I've been expecting all along. The grays, reds, greens, all that stuff there is no end in sight. They are literally just commons like in cardboard. Same for blacks, and clears (though I consider clear foils and pattern clear super neat looking, and I may try to put together a second set of the latter).

Blues however have strengthened lately. Or at worst, been flat. If any of the short prints appear, they go for ok money. I know because I bid and won a lot of three the other day that had one SP in it... didn't pay a fortune, but it still went for more than the average.

Pack prices have come down a bit since I stopped buying them all. I still will get some at "my" price. But I let the auctions close now and you don't see them going for as much. I no longer even look at single to lots of three on them. I've opened so many and been so disheartened with inability to complete the set that it's just not worth it. Busting 100 packs and getting the same people (with no chance for an ultra rare or anything else in the blue packs, they only have the standard 3 colors) just gets... sad. I don't need a 40th Yoda

J
Old 09-29-2015, 03:46 PM   #121 (permalink)

Forgot to add, the star wars topps page is here:

https://www.facebook.com/OfficialToppsStarWars

I don't know if it allows links on this board. So if the above doesn't show, just do facebook then the slash and OfficialToppsStarWars

Mostly just a promo site of course. But occasionally they will go through answering questions. They specifically posted and asked if any questions on connexions so I jumped at it. They probably go back into hibernation on it now.

Direct messages to them are hit or miss. Mostly miss. For every 5 I send, I may get one answer back.

Jason
Old 09-29-2015, 06:48 PM   #122 (permalink)

^^Thanks!

That podcast is interesting. Maybe I'm just being an optimist, but it sure sounds like they put alot of thought/effort into this product from a collectibility, playability (best they could for Discs, lol), and future plans. Also sounds Walmart is more than just backing them but throwing in extras like the room makeover for kids or adults who want a "kid-cave" lol.

IF these continue in popularity or trend-up, I can see many of these wave 1 characters being more valuable if wave 2 is mostly vehicles/ships.
Old 09-30-2015, 09:23 AM   #123 (permalink)

Personally I like these, I'm collecting sets and I think they are a cool piece to have. Sure they aren't super limited, but they are scarce enough that it's fun to find them and I'm very happy with the discs I have.

If they end up having value in the future, good bonus. However, right now is not the time to be looking at values as the market is most flooded. Let's come back to this in 2016 and see how values are holding to have the value discussion. Every product drops the first month or so after release until it dries up.

Until then, I'm happy with my shiny discs.
Old 09-30-2015, 02:59 PM   #124 (permalink)

Default Needs

Hello,

Hoping some of you can help me out.

I have bought tons of packs of these but have come up short 5 characters in completing a mixed set of all 75 characters.

I am in need of: (any version)

06: R2-D2
29: Ponda Baba
63: Aurra Sing
67: Nute Gungray
71: Shaak Ti

Looking to buy or trade for them.

I have supplied pictures of all my extras. Also willing to trade for variations I don't have of characters I already have.
Attached Thumbnails
Topps Star Wars Galactic Connexions Trading Disks-20150930_105518-1.jpg   Topps Star Wars Galactic Connexions Trading Disks-20150930_105218-1.jpg   Topps Star Wars Galactic Connexions Trading Disks-20150930_105147-1.jpg  
Old 10-01-2015, 12:18 AM   #125 (permalink)

Quote:

Hmm, they just replied to me with:

"Hi Brad there are 5 short prints in the blue starfield. None of the characters are short printed within the standard commons, rares, or ultra rares. The only short prints are on Battle Damaged, Slave-1, and Imperial Red where there is only a small number of characters and very low print quantity for each of them."

Hehe, did they add a "1" to your message, Jason, or did the remove a "1" from mine. Or maybe they are referring to the exclusive 10 + 5. Either way, it's nice to have confirmation that there is no other SPs from the other variations.

Based on your list, I'm guessing the "5" SP Blue Starfields are:
Anakin
Imperial Royal Guard
Wicket
Ugnaught
Chancellor Palpatine