Blowout Cards Forums
13/14 bk Gianninis

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2015, 07:57 AM   #126 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHotz View Post
Hmm, they just replied to me with:

"Hi Brad there are 5 short prints in the blue starfield. None of the characters are short printed within the standard commons, rares, or ultra rares. The only short prints are on Battle Damaged, Slave-1, and Imperial Red where there is only a small number of characters and very low print quantity for each of them."

Hehe, did they add a "1" to your message, Jason, or did the remove a "1" from mine. Or maybe they are referring to the exclusive 10 + 5. Either way, it's nice to have confirmation that there is no other SPs from the other variations.

Based on your list, I'm guessing the "5" SP Blue Starfields are:
Anakin
Imperial Royal Guard
Wicket
Ugnaught
Chancellor Palpatine
Yes I noticed the discrepancy in numbers they are putting out. They also messaged me again privately to say only 5.

I replied and pushed back and haven't heard anything yet, but that number doesn't seem right based on what I'm seeing. I am thinking maybe those 5 are the lowest short prints, but others just have to be shortprinted as well. I have sorted all of them I purchased, and I think I have a pretty good sample size... there are just one or two of some I have versus 30 to 50 of others. Yes, it's that bad.

Jason
jasoncam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 08:04 AM   #127 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGhostbuster View Post
Hello,

Hoping some of you can help me out.

I have bought tons of packs of these but have come up short 5 characters in completing a mixed set of all 75 characters.

I am in need of: (any version)

06: R2-D2
29: Ponda Baba
63: Aurra Sing
67: Nute Gungray
71: Shaak Ti

Looking to buy or trade for them.

I have supplied pictures of all my extras. Also willing to trade for variations I don't have of characters I already have.
If you don't mind all grey common, I'll gladly just give them to you. Just PM me your address and I'll send them on their way.

Jason
Old 10-01-2015, 08:11 AM   #128 (permalink)

Also just regarding the "exclusive 10" those are in no way short printed. Overprinted maybe

I know I posted my list earlier in this thread. I think I have maybe picked up one or two since then. Tellin' ya, for only 5 supposed SPs, there sure appear to be a bunch more.

j
Old 10-03-2015, 12:44 AM   #129 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasoncam View Post
Blues however have strengthened lately. Or at worst, been flat. If any of the short prints appear, they go for ok money. I know because I bid and won a lot of three the other day that had one SP in it... didn't pay a fortune, but it still went for more than the average.

J
Sorry for bidding you up buddy, at the time I wasn't sure if anyone else knew about the SP. I've since deleted my Connexions searches and backed off eBay so they're all yours. Like you I spent a small fortune and bought tons of BSF. Finding out there were indeed SP soured me on them all together. Now I've been trading them off for the ultra rares.
cjktoybay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 11:18 PM   #130 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjktoybay View Post
Sorry for bidding you up buddy, at the time I wasn't sure if anyone else knew about the SP. I've since deleted my Connexions searches and backed off eBay so they're all yours. Like you I spent a small fortune and bought tons of BSF. Finding out there were indeed SP soured me on them all together. Now I've been trading them off for the ultra rares.
Hi there! As far as I'm concerned it's all fair game

I hear ya on the frustration. There is some product still held back for another Walmart event (november I think? I'd have to look and see what Topps rep told me). That said, there clearly are more than five short prints.

One day if I get ambitious I'll post exactly how many I have of each one. I'm sure some of them I have close to 30 or 40 of... and others I only have one of. And the ones I have singles of are not the "official five" that Topps has listed. There are about 15 or so in each set (regular and foil blue) that appear to be much rarer in addition to the official SPs.

I think I'm going to be putting together a gold and silver set soon. I have a pretty good start, maybe close to 2/3rds or so on silver or gold. And the truth is there aren't a lot of silver/gold sets out there.

Listings continue to decline, but I haven't really been watching auctions like a hawk the past few days given I've been a bit busy.

Let's hope for both our sakes that some of the SPs start to make appearances soon so we can complete sets. Pretty much given up hope here.

Jason
Old 10-05-2015, 07:20 AM   #131 (permalink)

Anyone see/snatch that 'imperial red' Emperor Palpatine on eBay last night for $60?

I would have gladly grabbed it but the disc color nor sticker type looked right compared to the checklist (or battle damage already pulled). Unfortunately it was a horrible picture on the listing to confirm. BUT the interesting thing was the Emperor sticker seemed to be different unlike the other super ultra-rares.

Here's the picture:

And here's a picture from the checklist:

The interesting thing is the first sticker looks completely unique whereas the "battle-damage" and other SUPER ultra-rares use the same sticker picture as the base set. AND while the eBay picture sucks, it sure doesn't look like the special disk which seems to have white hues similar to battle-damage nor the sticker pattern (foil lines). It almost looks like a reverse negative of an Emperor Palpatine which maybe is possible if the stickers are see through and it was put on backwards?

Any guesses? Would like to know for sure incase there is a different/unique sticker used on the "Imperial Red."
BHotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 07:56 AM   #132 (permalink)

doesn't appear to me to be the imperial red one.

the picture is potato quality.

think more of a seller not knowing what they have, and the buyer just jumping at it taking a gamble.

the true imperial red is going to be similar to the golds and silvers. It is a metallic finish. the picture here appears translucent on the edges.

as far as the picture, some cameras/apps reverse pictures when taking them.

Hard to be 100% either way on them without a better picture. When I purchased my battle damaged disk, I asked the seller for many more pictures since the first image they posted wasn't great either. You could still tell though that it was likely one of them, but I had to be sure. This one appears at best to be a 50/50 shot rolling the dice. Hope it works out for them.

(edit: the more I compare the two: The auction listing is patterned foil. Just like the light saber red ones. Also, notice the 4 notches on the edge, bottom right for character attributes in the checklist image? Image reversed, now bottom left for the auction image. Now extremely certain just a light saber red)

j

Last edited by jasoncam; 10-05-2015 at 08:44 AM.
Old 10-05-2015, 10:52 AM   #133 (permalink)

Yeah... doesn't look like the Imperial Red to me either... so a $60 overpay by buyer.

Also I see that in the mockup, they have the image mirror-reversed. I wonder if that will be how the printed one appears (basically another way to highlight the difference between the Imperial Red, and ultra rare lightsaber red disks).
finfangfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 07:41 PM   #134 (permalink)
Banned

So should you buy the 5 packs if u can find them or just look for the starter packs? I have a couple Walfarts by me that have a decent supply of the 5 packs, but none of the other configurations.
soxrulecubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 07:54 PM   #135 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxrulecubs View Post
So should you buy the 5 packs if u can find them or just look for the starter packs? I have a couple Walfarts by me that have a decent supply of the 5 packs, but none of the other configurations.
Sure... The 5 packs are solid. Not as many disks per $, and they are more frequently scratched than the disks in the starter packaging, but still fun to open.
Old 10-07-2015, 04:09 PM   #136 (permalink)
Banned

Ok, so I bought 6 packs of the 5 for 399 and 4 of the starters at 999 and I gotta say this stuff is pretty much exactly like buying any topps trading card product for the most part!!! Lol do you guys think it would have been a better idea to just make it a card set or the way they did it?
Old 10-07-2015, 08:53 PM   #137 (permalink)

Quote:
Ok, so I bought 6 packs of the 5 for 399 and 4 of the starters at 999 and I gotta say this stuff is pretty much exactly like buying any topps trading card product for the most part!!! Lol do you guys think it would have been a better idea to just make it a card set or the way they did it?
Um, there's enough "card" sets .

I love these things... looking at huge stacks of them on a shelf feels like I'm doing very well at a poker table . I think Topps did a great job with parallels, design, and characters too though the lack of information on Blue Starfields isn't exactly a great start for a new product being that's where most got their first exposure to the product.

Last edited by BHotz; 10-07-2015 at 08:59 PM.
Old 10-07-2015, 09:18 PM   #138 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHotz View Post
Um, there's enough "card" sets .

I love these things... looking at huge stacks of them on a shelf feels like I'm doing very well at a poker table . I think Topps did a great job with parallels, design, and characters too though the lack of information on Blue Starfields isn't exactly a great start for a new product being that's where most got their first exposure to the product.
Do you possibly know if there are SP's in any other sets besides the blue starfield parallel's? Thanks!!
Old 10-08-2015, 08:37 AM   #139 (permalink)

Quote:
Do you possibly know if there are SP's in any other sets besides the blue starfield parallel's? Thanks!!
Topps said no on Facebook other than the super Ultra-Rares like imperial red, battle damage and slave-1.
Old 10-08-2015, 10:08 PM   #140 (permalink)
Banned

So, has anybody actually played the game itself? Is it any fun or is it a chore trying to find some discs in order to play the game more efficiently? It seems on Reddit, a guy says it's actually a simple game, but fun to play!! I really wish they would've done more characters in the Imperial Red, Slave 1, Battle Damage, and 14 k Gold parallels though!! They look really cool!! Aside from all the damn scratches on some of these, I like them!! How are they going to do vehicles in series 2 though with such small surface room? Aren't they going to be hard to see? Especially for blind dudes like me? Lol

Last edited by soxrulecubs; 10-08-2015 at 10:12 PM.
Old 10-10-2015, 12:04 PM   #141 (permalink)

For those buying big lots on eBAy, I saw many have received them in various ways but how are you handling feedback?

It's really, really annoying buying a ~$120 lot and receiving them all in a large ziplock bag inside a box bouncing around. Or another ~$50 lot inside an envelope bouncing around in a Priority envelope.

As someone who does a ton of selling on eBay, I have a ton of empathy for sellers but COME ON stack them or put any kind of effort into carefully packing... these are obviously collectibles. Do you guys think negative, neutral or positive feedback (IF there doesn't SEEM to be damage from the shaking) is warranted? My gut says 'neutral' if there was zero effort in packing and no obvious damage.

Last edited by BHotz; 10-10-2015 at 12:33 PM.
Old 10-10-2015, 12:50 PM   #142 (permalink)

Basically, with this release, I don't trust eBay sellers. The stuff is too easily scratched, and as you have discovered (and as was mentioned upthread) a weird crop of sellers (with even weirder packaging) seem to be selling these.

I think Walmart exclusivity works against this set in that regard.

I haven't dinged anyone, because I am never really out too much cash on anyone transaction. Probably the most frustrating purchase was like a half dozen clear pattern foils and like 3 of them came spiderwebbed (like someone drove over them). I just don't leave feedback, because it isn't worth the drama to ding someone anymore.
Old 10-10-2015, 02:37 PM   #143 (permalink)
Banned

What I am curious about though, is if all of these discs are scratched by topps and then maybe get a little worse with crappy shipping or just were already scratched?!?! I understand spider webbing and that just sucks because that means it was crushed or smashed probably? Another thing I want to mention is that it seems it doesn't matter if they're out of the booster packs or the starters, mine have scratches from both ������������

Last edited by soxrulecubs; 10-10-2015 at 02:40 PM.
Old 10-10-2015, 07:16 PM   #144 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by finfangfan View Post
Basically, with this release, I don't trust eBay sellers. The stuff is too easily scratched, and as you have discovered (and as was mentioned upthread) a weird crop of sellers (with even weirder packaging) seem to be selling these.

I think Walmart exclusivity works against this set in that regard.

I haven't dinged anyone, because I am never really out too much cash on anyone transaction. Probably the most frustrating purchase was like a half dozen clear pattern foils and like 3 of them came spiderwebbed (like someone drove over them). I just don't leave feedback, because it isn't worth the drama to ding someone anymore.
Thanks for suggestion. Yeah, I've come to realize that pretty much all the discs are going to have some kind of marks, but wow the laziness of some sellers when dealing with a "collectible." Also, my first few lots were pack very, very well... it's just the last few which had zero effort.

Quote:
What I am curious about though, is if all of these discs are scratched by topps and then maybe get a little worse with crappy shipping or just were already scratched?!?! I understand spider webbing and that just sucks because that means it was crushed or smashed probably? Another thing I want to mention is that it seems it doesn't matter if they're out of the booster packs or the starters, mine have scratches from both ������������
Most are already scratched, yeah. You can peruse the thread here for more experiences. I think it's just inherit for the stickers though I have noticed many silver/golds seem to have less scratches than other discs. If the mark isn't really noticeable, at this point I don't care and chalk it up to "condition sensitive" or the nature of the product itself.
Old 10-11-2015, 02:17 PM   #145 (permalink)
Banned

One more question I have is are eBay sales a little odd with how all over the place the Reds greens and clear pattern foils are going for? Do you think some people are selling for too cheap as well? I mean some good characters on reds are going for only $2.00!?!? They aren't that easy to pull either!
Old 10-12-2015, 02:19 PM   #146 (permalink)

Been a while since I've posted.

As far as dinging sellers, I just can't do it. Is it annoying some just throw it into a priority mail box loose? Sure. But they are probably just clueless onto these being collectibles. Frankly I doubt i even have any that would be in cardboardland labeled "gem mint 10" or whatever, and that's for some you even get straight out of the starter kits that have the least damage. As mentioned previously, the ultra rares and clears tend to show better than all the others with regards to scratches.

As far as prices of reds/greens being jumpy, likely just folks putting together a set, getting the ones they need. Those that still list them $25 and higher for BINs and golds/silvers near $100/ BIN are just fishing. Might get lucky, but for the most part, they have unrealistic expectations, and will continue to list and refresh their listings every week until they wake up and decide to move on.

I've always said Red/Green should be sub $10, near $5. Now that has changed, they should trade $2 or so barring the name. Doesn't appear to be any short prints in there so it's just a matter of if someone lists your guy/gal or not and you want them.

Topps basically gave me the print run when confirming number of Leia's in each type of packaging. So you can figure out roughly how many Ultra Rares are out there. You can also get a good feel for how many of each regular type exist (standard, foil, pattern foil). There are plenty of red/greens to go around... they are 1 per starter pack for the most part unless you luck out with a silver/gold.

I remain steadfast that the best set to put together is the clear patterns. The most unappreciated when it comes to scarcity, that is. There may be fewer gold & silver sets out there than those, but no one cares about the clear patterns... they just lump them into lots and you can pay a buck per or whatever. And of course you still have the guys I mentioned before listing on the other side of things with Buy It Nows of $10 to $20 per clear pattern.

I also said I'd be putting together a gold/silver set... been putting that off and still haven't looked at what I need. Going to be hard to financially responsibly put that together given people will want 5x the value of a "common," yet they all had the same print run.

The market for these is softening, countered by less listings as the days go on. I dare say interest is on the decline. There will be another push for these at Walmart in November, and then the wave 2 release in December... so we will see if that garners any interest.

I haven't posted because it's same-old same-old here. The short prints in blue don't pop up on eBay, so I'm buying much less. Sometimes I go days without purchasing anything. And I certainly don't refresh the listings like I used to. I'm sure an SP or two will get bought out immediately by someone, but eventually they will all trickle out as the months wear on. That's basically where I'm at for the moment.

Really a depressing set to try to put together with the blues. And I remain adamant there are more short prints than the 5 Topps listed. There just has to be. The stacks of my yodas and random alien dudes certainly suggest as such.

I've moved on to my new Hot Toys/Sideshow addiction, and the disney force awakens pins

Jason
Old 10-12-2015, 03:56 PM   #147 (permalink)
Banned

Oh boy, I've got a bad feeling about this! 😎😎😎
Old 10-12-2015, 04:11 PM   #148 (permalink)

Quote:
Oh boy, I've got a bad feeling about this! 😎😎😎
I love these things, maybe my post sounded more gloomy than it is. But the bottom line is the blue and blue foil versions have short prints that don't come up for sale (still some haven't even been seen). So there's nothing left for me to do.

I get packs from time to time, but those are so sad to open when you get the same people every single time.

And I have no interest any grey or black ones, so they are just amassing in big ziploc bags for the moment, with no home.

Encouraging to see some of the chase battle damaged ones come up for sale of late at least.

Maybe the distribution on wave 2 will be a bit better.

But until I see the handful of guys I'm looking for come up for auction, there's nothing left for me to do at the moment.

For those of you that want to do print runs on these things, I'll give you the numbers.

There were 225,922 walmart packs distributed. There were 172,800 booster packs (the packs of 5) made. And there were 26,250 start kits produced.

You can extrapolate from there the rough numbers of ultra rares, as well as number of sets of each type (grey/black/clear and their respective variations).

There are way fewer of these things out there than people think. Of course, not that many people chasing them either

jason
Old 10-12-2015, 04:17 PM   #149 (permalink)

Only 26,000 starter packs... Are you sure? That is less than 6 total per Walmart, unless some Walmarts never got any.
Old 10-12-2015, 04:25 PM   #150 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by finfangfan View Post
Only 26,000 starter packs... Are you sure? That is less than 6 total per Walmart, unless some Walmarts never got any.
Odds of a gold Leia were 1 in 13,125 starter kits. They inserted 2 in the starter kits (2 in the boosters, and 1 in the promo packs).

Odds of finding a gold Leia per Topps were:

1:225,922 Promo (1 blue, 1 regular)
1:86,400 Booster Packs (5)
1:13,125 Starter (13 + 1 ultra rare)

You can do the math from there by multiplying possible Leias by odds.

My walmart didn't have the starter kit.

j