Blowout Cards Forums
super sox

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2015, 05:34 PM   #151 (permalink)

Gotcha. I guess my Walmart got more than others then. This stuff has weird distribution. You'd think they'd have made the starter packs more prevalent if they were rolling out what is essentially a new line.

I think I will stop buying after wave 1 ends. Not interested in collecting non-character discs that will hit in wave 2.
finfangfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 05:43 PM   #152 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by finfangfan View Post
Gotcha. I guess my Walmart got more than others then. This stuff has weird distribution. You'd think they'd have made the starter packs more prevalent if they were rolling out what is essentially a new line.

I think I will stop buying after wave 1 ends. Not interested in collecting non-character discs that will hit in wave 2.
I just wish there wasn't a new blue set for wave 2. So maybe I'll give it a shot. But there is a long time between now and the December launch.

If I don't start to see these short prints come up soon, I'll move on.

Such a shame, because they have been "ok" at responding to facebook posts, and sometimes private messages (which is where you now have the print figures from). Just drives me crazy they refuse to acknowledge the issues with distribution. You can't tell me that General Greivous isn't a short print in the blues when after all the buying and searching through auctions, I literally have two blue foil and one regular of him. That's better than none of some of the others, but still... there are certainly some that are way harder to get than others.

Meanwhile I probably have 50+ of some other characters. I wish I was joking.

I've thought all along maybe the cases of walmart promos they held back were chock full of some of these harder to find names, but that just means they did a horrible job of spreading out the production over the initial few cases. Who knows, maybe when their "re-support" event launches in November and more packs hit, Grevious will be as common as the 70 Bail Organas I have sitting around.

And that's why I pick and choose so selectively these days. Unless your auction has one I don't have, I don't even give it a second look.

j
jasoncam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 06:27 PM   #153 (permalink)

Picked these up at the Topps both at NYCC. Know nothing. Are these special NYCC promos? Or just commons found in packs? Needless to say, they are available if somebody needs them. Thanks

Last edited by Spider-Fan; 10-13-2015 at 05:36 PM.
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 06:53 PM   #154 (permalink)

Did you post a scan? A pic is not coming up on mobile.
Old 10-12-2015, 06:54 PM   #155 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
Picked these up at the Topps both at NYCC. Know nothing. Are these special NYCC promos? Or just commons found in packs? Needless to say, they are available if somebody needs them. Thanks
pretty sure from what I've seen they just distributed the commons at NYCC. The SDCC had special promos.

j
Old 10-12-2015, 06:58 PM   #156 (permalink)

Yeah SDCC had rare stormtrooper variations.
Old 10-12-2015, 09:32 PM   #157 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasoncam View Post
I just wish there wasn't a new blue set for wave 2. So maybe I'll give it a shot. But there is a long time between now and the December launch.

If I don't start to see these short prints come up soon, I'll move on.

Such a shame, because they have been "ok" at responding to facebook posts, and sometimes private messages (which is where you now have the print figures from). Just drives me crazy they refuse to acknowledge the issues with distribution. You can't tell me that General Greivous isn't a short print in the blues when after all the buying and searching through auctions, I literally have two blue foil and one regular of him. That's better than none of some of the others, but still... there are certainly some that are way harder to get than others.

Meanwhile I probably have 50+ of some other characters. I wish I was joking.

I've thought all along maybe the cases of walmart promos they held back were chock full of some of these harder to find names, but that just means they did a horrible job of spreading out the production over the initial few cases. Who knows, maybe when their "re-support" event launches in November and more packs hit, Grevious will be as common as the 70 Bail Organas I have sitting around.

And that's why I pick and choose so selectively these days. Unless your auction has one I don't have, I don't even give it a second look.

j
That's funny, I haven't pulled one Bail Organa out of all the stuff I opened!!! Lol Also, I have this strange feeling that not all characters are equally produced in all of the parallels either!! I don't know why, but certain guys r not as common as others in let's say the clear pattern foil for example. Some guys keep coming up more than others ( I haven't done enough research to name names yet though ) it's weird!! Maybe I haven't opened enough, but I do not feel like spending hundreds of dollars on this!! I wanna start a Heritage Chrome refractor color collection in baseball and we all know how much that's gonna take lol

Last edited by soxrulecubs; 10-12-2015 at 09:38 PM.
soxrulecubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 10:16 PM   #158 (permalink)

I wish I was lying about 70 some Bail Organas.

That's my big fear on chasing the ones that I have deemed as short prints when Topps hasn't blessed them as such.... that some Walmart in Alaska will be chock full of these and they just haven't made it to market yet.

Guess time will tell.

I don't even sort my regular blues anymore... they're just stacked and stacked on a table. Sad, really.

j
Old 10-13-2015, 10:04 AM   #159 (permalink)

Quote:
I wish I was lying about 70 some Bail Organas.

That's my big fear on chasing the ones that I have deemed as short prints when Topps hasn't blessed them as such.... that some Walmart in Alaska will be chock full of these and they just haven't made it to market yet.

Guess time will tell.

I don't even sort my regular blues anymore... they're just stacked and stacked on a table. Sad, really.

j
Hehe, yeah we're rooting for you

Yeah that sounds about right on production #s. I've still been searching occasionally at a good amount of Walmarts and yet to see any restock the starters with yeah some not ever seemingly to get them.

Yes, they've bottomed out quite a bit. But a bunch of lots are selling ok and Golds have really jumped. I've slowly been trying to ascertain a Gold set but in the last couple of weeks my solid to high bids are losing to someone sniping and trying to do the same it seems, lol. In hindsight, I kinda wish I would have tried for a Silver set over a Gold. Also main characters across the board seem to be moving strong. And yeah I agree pattern clears are sneaky good and look great.

I might have found a great display/storage option for complete 75character sets and will share once in-hand. The bad news is the product is no longer produced so you have to really search the web to find it, lol.
BHotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 10:13 AM   #160 (permalink)

My local Wally restocked with 6 new starter kits and a full peg of booster packs...

Michael
Old 10-13-2015, 10:46 AM   #161 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHotz View Post
Hehe, yeah we're rooting for you

Yeah that sounds about right on production #s. I've still been searching occasionally at a good amount of Walmarts and yet to see any restock the starters with yeah some not ever seemingly to get them.

Yes, they've bottomed out quite a bit. But a bunch of lots are selling ok and Golds have really jumped. I've slowly been trying to ascertain a Gold set but in the last couple of weeks my solid to high bids are losing to someone sniping and trying to do the same it seems, lol. In hindsight, I kinda wish I would have tried for a Silver set over a Gold. Also main characters across the board seem to be moving strong. And yeah I agree pattern clears are sneaky good and look great.

I might have found a great display/storage option for complete 75character sets and will share once in-hand. The bad news is the product is no longer produced so you have to really search the web to find it, lol.
I bought your poker chips you recommended. Can't say I'm a huge fan. Really had to squeeze them into the black bands to where they look fine. It works, don't get me wrong, just a pain in the butt to get a six sided chip in a circle evenly. I can't imagine doing it 85 times for the set. I do like that you can put them in tubes of 20 or whatever for storage.

So I guess eventually if I ever get the blue set done I'll store them that way.

No clue on the rest of the this stuff. Hopefully what you're alluding to is something that can store rows and rows of chips. Maybe I'll do one of those poker chip set cases to store the "extra" blues. (edit: search poker chip carrier on amazon. there is a 1,000 count one for $48 or so, wonder if that would work)

j
Old 10-13-2015, 11:34 AM   #162 (permalink)

^^I like the 2nd versions much better which are actually silver dollar cases (40mm) but those are what I posted @ the topps FB so guessing it's what you are using. Yeah, it's kinda a pain with the ring AND they are tricky getting out of the case but it's very doable if you are careful.

My set storage is actually binder pages. Pretty sure they'll work as I tested one already but I'm not 100% the ones I'm receiving are the same. We'll see...

Quote:
Originally Posted by meucci67 View Post
My local Wally restocked with 6 new starter kits and a full peg of booster packs...

Michael
Good to know! Still thinking not many Walmarts are doing this but I'll keep looking!
Old 10-13-2015, 12:02 PM   #163 (permalink)

I got mine off of amazon. They're identical.

I've tried quite a few things. The 2 1/2" safeflipz or coinflipz, whatever they are, they work, but are cumbersome, and there isn't a market for cases that hold those (whereas there are plenty of nice little boxes for the 2" ones, but those are a tight fit).

Let me know what you come up with this time and if the new thing works.

I can't get binders to work unless they have some sort of flap on top? I put some in binder pages and they just slipped out if it happens to get knocked over.

I guess Topps saying they are also working on something now, but who knows when we'd see something like that.

I ordered the poker chip thing to test one out. Probably won't work, but we'll see.

j
Old 10-13-2015, 01:18 PM   #164 (permalink)
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHotz View Post
^^

Good to know! Still thinking not many Walmarts are doing this but I'll keep looking!
Let me ask an ignorant question. Why not just buy them online at walmart.com instead of hoping for a restock in a physical store location?
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 01:50 PM   #165 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
Let me ask an ignorant question. Why not just buy them online at walmart.com instead of hoping for a restock in a physical store location?
I think he is just gauging supply and demand.

I know I checked my local one forever before it finally had maybe 4 booster packs. Didn't buy them because I was interested in the blues, but still good to know if they are out there or not. They did not stock the starter kit (wasn't even a peg for them).

I have bought quite a few from walmart.com back in the early release of it. Stupid they limit you to 3 per order of either type (starter or booster).

j
Old 10-13-2015, 01:58 PM   #166 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
Lol funny u say that as I was going to do an edit and include that info again but forgot. Yeah, great point. BUT, you can only buy 3 $10 Starters at a time which is very unfriendly when breaking large quantities both because of logistics and the time factor. Lately I've just looked at ~4+ Walmarts in passing.

With that said and the production figures projected, you wouldn't think that a ton of this is in-stock @ walmart.com. And with respect to total production, I think some are comparing a $10 starter to a box of nonsport card products where, IMO, ~6 $10 starters : 1 box of nonsport cards is a much better gauge of production.

Quote:
I think he is just gauging supply and demand.

I know I checked my local one forever before it finally had maybe 4 booster packs. Didn't buy them because I was interested in the blues, but still good to know if they are out there or not. They did not stock the starter kit (wasn't even a peg for them).

I have bought quite a few from walmart.com back in the early release of it. Stupid they limit you to 3 per order of either type (starter or booster).

j
Yeah, pretty much. Heh, I also did the same and have since stopped messing with the hastle of "3 at a time" especially with 'disc lots' still available on eBay for cheaper (usually) though those are starting to dry up.

Last edited by BHotz; 10-13-2015 at 02:04 PM.
Old 10-13-2015, 02:16 PM   #167 (permalink)

Yes it is cheaper now to just buy what you need rather than the starter kit. Odds are you're going to end up with a bunch of red and green anyways, and who wants those (ha).

I seriously need a home for all the greys and whatnot. That's why if anyone is just looking to complete sets and don't care what variation it is, I'll friggin' give them away.

j
Old 10-13-2015, 02:23 PM   #168 (permalink)

Quote:
Yes it is cheaper now to just buy what you need rather than the starter kit. Odds are you're going to end up with a bunch of red and green anyways, and who wants those (ha).

I seriously need a home for all the greys and whatnot. That's why if anyone is just looking to complete sets and don't care what variation it is, I'll friggin' give them away.

j

Maybe look into donating the extra disks to a kids hospital or shelter in your area?
Old 10-13-2015, 02:37 PM   #169 (permalink)

once I'm done getting them. Unfortunately they still come in the promo packs with the blues. I'm sure the gf will be much appreciated when they are ALL gone, and a new pile doesn't start. I'm really hoping this poker case works. Probably won't though. I don't even want to know how many blues I have sitting around.

I should package them with candy for halloween.

j
Old 10-13-2015, 05:36 PM   #170 (permalink)

Quote:
Did you post a scan? A pic is not coming up on mobile.
Yeah must have forgotten to post the link? Anyway... Up now.

Old 10-13-2015, 06:03 PM   #171 (permalink)

Look to be commons unless the backs distinguish them in some way. That said, you got some cool characters. The gray base is the most common though.
Old 10-13-2015, 06:14 PM   #172 (permalink)

Quote:
Look to be commons unless the backs distinguish them in some way. That said, you got some cool characters. The gray base is the most common though.
Figures... I was pretty disappointed by the Topps booth this year overall. Much better the past 3 years (don't remember before that). 2012 was definitely the peak though.
Old 10-14-2015, 03:43 PM   #173 (permalink)

Topps Star Wars Galactic Connexions Trading Disks-bluestorage.jpg

Pardon the fact the picture is sideways, but here are the extra blue regulars in a poker chip carrying case (can find on amazon).

Best solution so far I've found. Once (if) I ever get the set I will put them in individual thingys and keep it that way. But the extras will go in these for now. At least for blues. Doens't make sense to spend the money for this case for any other type or variation.

There is some wiggle room as it's not a perfect fit. You can get 20 per row... you could possibly jam 21 in there, but I wasn't about to try. It would've been way too snug, if not damaging to the disk next to it.

Jason

Last edited by jasoncam; 10-14-2015 at 05:08 PM.
Old 10-14-2015, 08:06 PM   #174 (permalink)

^^Nice, I like! Lol, would make you feel like a pit boss from a poker room too

My alternative is still in the mail but will share soon hopefully. If it goes to plan you can use binders and hold them upside down without discs falling out.
Old 10-15-2015, 12:59 PM   #175 (permalink)

They work!! ...mostly

And they don't fall out when you hold upside down

So with everyone else being so helpful here, I'll be nice and share the product used:

Now. They quit making these maybe 10-15 years ago so it's not easy finding them. I got the idea from a "McDonalds Power Ranger Pog" set I had in a drawer. Decided to try a Connexions disc and bamn it worked.

Small caveat is because these pages are old and not specifically designed for plastic slightly thicker discs, they can break. If you look closely at the last picture the dividing indention that holds the discs from falling out can rip. It doesn't happen frequently and you don't have to be real careful sliding in the discs but of course you probably should anyways as with any collectible. Nevertheless, I only had two dividers break sliding in an entire 75disc set. Also the more you slide them in, the better you get at it, lol, but again the underlying issue is probably the age. And, don't forget these are PVC free and all the other +++s for collectibles so no worries with long-term storage unlike some jerry-rigged holders/displays.

If you are looking for these pages, I suggest Google searching. There is only a single seller on eBay but they asking $1 per sheet (which holds 20 discs) or 'best-offer' which seems pretty steep. I purchased 3 boxes (100sheets each) from an online retailer I found @ $24 per box shipped. Supposedly my seller has ~7boxes left so if anyone wants the contact, PM me. If anyone finds these in quantity cheaper than $24 per box, please let us know.

Last edited by BHotz; 10-15-2015 at 01:01 PM.